Slimani Has Had A Setback – Out At Least Two More Weeks

Rafa Benitez had some bad news in his press conference this afternoon and said that new loan signing Slimani has suffered a setback in training and he will not be available for at least two weeks.

Slimani was signed on the last day of the window and had what was thought to be a slight thigh injury at the time.

But the injury has stopped him playing for Newcastle, and it’s over three weeks since we signed him.

This is what Rafa said today about Slimani:

‘He had a setback the other day and isn’t available. It’ll be at least a couple of weeks.’

“Slimani had a setback & he will not be available for a couple of weeks. It is his same thigh problem. He could give us something different, but we think we have enough quality to cope.”

“We have to be careful with him because he had a problem when he arrived.”

“When you go to the last days of the window in this situation, it is always a risk to sign an injured player, but we had to do it. Islam was training really hard.”

“He was quite positive and he was training really well. But then he felt this problem again”

The only other player not fit for tomorrow’s game is Jesus Gamez.

So it looks like we will have to play both Bournemouth and Liverpool away without Slimani.

We just hope this injury clears up – but it’s obvious now that the damage is worse than first feared.

That’s what happens when you leave things to the last minute – as Mike Ashley did last month.

How Will Newcastle Fare At Bournemouth?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• Basogeordie

Feb 23, 2018 at 1:50 PM

Can some one help me out with this Gravatar lark, I’m to old to figure out how to do one? 😉

Do I have to sign up to that word press link? You wont see me posting that often so you wont be subjected to seeing it much…..

No place for politics on this blog made clear by Dr Ed. Respect his wishes. Are Gravatars an exception to the rule coz Ive got a choice of 2 in mind?

• RobLeenio

Feb 23, 2018 at 1:50 PM

• Geremi's Prosthetic Leg Fund

Feb 23, 2018 at 1:50 PM

What a waste of time. Might as well just send him back.

• Basogeordie

Feb 23, 2018 at 1:51 PM

If only we Sturridge decided to come to us ay……

• RobLeenio

Feb 23, 2018 at 1:52 PM

Whoever posted that article on relegation candidates earlier, thanks. It’s a good, objective article giving fair and balanced views on all teams (except West Brom who are doomed). Well worth a read.

• RobLeenio

Feb 23, 2018 at 1:53 PM

GPLF, reckon Slimani qualifies for a hand-out from your fund?

• Tsunki

Feb 23, 2018 at 1:56 PM

I said the other day i hoped he wasn’t going to go all Doumbia on us. But I think Doumbia actually played once didn’t he? More like Return of Chucky. 🙂

• G

Feb 23, 2018 at 1:58 PM

Yeah, Rob that was me. I quite like some of their features on that site. The Gossip column on there is often worth a read too, mainly because they let you know how reliable the sources are from the gutter press.

In terms of Slimani being out, it’s unfortunate, however, we beat Manyoo without him, we can beat Bournemouth without him too. I still have a feeling we will get a win here. Last game DG had a good goal ruled out incorrectly, and but for the injury time winner our lads didn’t do too badly. Some unfinished business for DG here, so expect him to bury at least 1.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Feb 23, 2018 at 2:02 PM

Blo0dy ell, at this rate he might just get in for the last game of the season.

I would have thought he could at least be on as a late sub.

And to think we were laughing at WBA and Sturridge, Karma?

• Ron Knee

Feb 23, 2018 at 2:02 PM

Wait for it:

Slimani – another failure from Rafa!

• Ron Knee

Feb 23, 2018 at 2:03 PM

Or hubris!

• manxpie

Feb 23, 2018 at 2:07 PM

Ffs well there goes my prediction then will have to be gayle and a shelvey screamer instead
    2 teams most in need of a striker get 2 crocks ycmiu!

• RobLeenio

Feb 23, 2018 at 2:11 PM

Isn’t karma what you get for excessive hubris? Or is one a sauce for dippy crisps and the other a sauce for stir frying chicken?

• Dal

Feb 23, 2018 at 2:12 PM

Another failure by mad Mike Ashley.
    He has no interest and no strategy; he thinks he is saving money but has ended up spending on a loan fee plus wages and getting nothing on the pitch; what an idiot

• dig-n-dig22

Feb 23, 2018 at 2:17 PM

I am trying to remain positive but finding it very difficult, I just Custer is still alive when the Cavalry turn up.
    For some reason I get this feeling that Joselu is going to turn up and save our season. Am I too optimistic?

• Basogeordie

Feb 23, 2018 at 2:20 PM

Come on lads, that’s enough football talk. Back to Gravatars, do I use my username that I use on here when Im signing up to that wordpress link??

Tsunki help a man out, you seem to have a handle on this….

• RobLeenio

Feb 23, 2018 at 2:24 PM

Lol Baso – made me chuckle out loud, very disapproving look from my boss….

• sirjasontoon

Feb 23, 2018 at 2:24 PM

I would send the fka back to Leicester know, absolutely stupid signing when we are in need of goals, if we go down then whoever sanctioned this loan deal should be hung!!

• sirjasontoon

Feb 23, 2018 at 2:25 PM

• dig-n-dig22

Feb 23, 2018 at 2:53 PM

Essex J B #9

He may be fit for the Leicester game/sarc

• lesh

Feb 24, 2018 at 1:46 AM

Yes, again Ashley’s tightness combined with Charnley’s inertia’s bought, as in paid a loan fee and wages for a player that’ll have missed at least four games through injury. What price economy?

Let’s hope that when Ashley’s out of the way that whoever’s bought the club gets rid of the clowns that didn’t have the balls to stand up to him.

• dannitoon

Feb 24, 2018 at 8:57 AM

So how did he pass a medical