This Is Excellent News About Very Talented Newcastle Player

Jonjo Shelvey has been sent off twice this season, the first one being in the very first game against Spurs early in the second half at St. James’ Park.

Newcastle were playing really well against Tottenham until Jonjo stepped on a player and was given a straight red card. and that could have cost us all 3 points.

The score was 0-0 at the time and we lost the game 2-0.

Then he was sent off through frustration in injury time in the 1-0 loss to Everton at home, which turned out to be another costly defeat for us.

Rafa Benitez did not turn his back on the player but vowed that Newcastle would help him control his demons – especially his anger – and would get him psychiatric help.

And from what Jonjo says in a long interview with Sky Sports today, it seems to be paying off – and that’s terrific news.

Jonjo Shelvey – dominant against Manchester United

He was given a little book (wonder if it was black in color?) by the psychiatrist and he says that’s been a big help to him.

Here’s some of what Jonjo has said in his Sky Sports interview:

“I meet up with him probably twice or three times a month and just go through little bits and bobs. It’s never a long chat or anything like that, it’s just to keep ticking over and see where I am at mentally.”

“It makes you look at life in a different way and puts yourself in other people’s situation so you take a step back, which is probably what I have needed.”

“I started working with him towards the back end of last year and it’s helped me massively.”

“He bought me a little book and after every training session and game you write a few things down and what you have done good and bad. I’d take it to the golf course and when you hit a bad shot or relive every hole.”

“It’s for everyday life and your hand starts to hurt after a while from writing so much! It’s good to flick back through and have a read.”

“It’s always refreshing your memory of what you can improve on and what you are doing well.”

“With so many training sessions you forget what you have done when you look back at the end of the week so you have the little book and write the date down and there you go.”

“I go straight indoors and do it straight away so it’s done and then you can enjoy the rest of the day. It’s a good practice to have.”

“When I go over the white line I just want to win. I’m a winner and I’ve had that instilled in me since I was a kid and sometimes it goes over the edge.”

“It’s about controlling that.”

It would be a huge success for both Jonjo and for Newcastle if he can control the demons (we all have), and only time will tell.

And Jonjo had probably his best game ever for Newcastle last time out against Manchester United and gave a Man of the Match performance along with goalkeeper Martin Dubravka.

Jonjo was just massive in central midfield for us and in those final 15 minutes, he was here, there and everywhere helping out the defense and starting up attacks.

We wonder what he wrote his little book after that game.

Keep it up!

Hopefully, we will get a similar performance from Shelvey tomorrow, and one thing he knows he lacks in his performances is consistency.

How Will Newcastle Fare At Bournemouth?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

Comments welcome

Feb 23, 2018 at 3:17 PM

I had to repost my team listing, as the bus ran over my toes again. 🙂

Provisional team

The New Pavel

Speedy Yank – CBH Fit Again Frenchman – Very Reliable Geordie

The Midfield Magician – Big Mo’s Twin Brother

Ex Bournemouth perpetual motion Machine – Works his socks off underrated Spaniard – Classy Brazilian

Can’t score but tries his hardest Spaniard

Feb 23, 2018 at 3:18 PM

Aaaaagh still not quite right.

I had to repost my team listing, as the bus ran over my toes again.
    ?

Provisional team

The New Pavel

Speedy Yank – CBH – Fit Again Frenchman – Very Reliable Geordie

The Midfield Magician – Big Mo’s Twin Brother

Can’t score but tries his hardest Spaniard

• Jib

Feb 23, 2018 at 3:24 PM

• Mister Tuff

Feb 23, 2018 at 3:26 PM

EGB – bad move if you draw attention to yourself with a zimmer frame or bus pass avatar.
    The lefty death squads are obviously on the prowl looking for OAP’s and old fogies to terminate.
    The Terminator has identified himself -need to be careful.

Feb 23, 2018 at 3:29 PM

Ed
    He’s more consistent than he’s given credit for.

Feb 23, 2018 at 3:34 PM

Mister Tuff

Thanks for the advice but to be honest I was thinking of saving them the bother and just book myself into the Soylent Green factory.

Only trouble with doing that is that the economy would be deprived of another of the age group who are major contributors to it.

Oh dear I started with a joke and ended up all serious, sorry!!

• RobLeenio

Feb 23, 2018 at 3:39 PM

I see Lawro has predicted a standard 1-1 draw for us, but his guests, Margot Robbie and Alison Janney have us down for a 3-0 win. Very nice of them, you might think.

However, check out some of their other predictions:
    Burnley vs Southampton 4-6
    Watford vs Everton 4-0

And last,but not least:
    Arsenal vs Man City 3-0

🙂

Feb 23, 2018 at 3:46 PM

Rob

Some but not all (ours) are a bit daft. 🙂

• Mister Tuff

Feb 23, 2018 at 3:49 PM

EGB – I was going to suggest that your dismay may be relieved by getting a family pet. Somebody suggested earlier that Blogjezza got himself a dog.
    I would advise against this as the acquisition of a dog represents another of the west’s bourgeois attitudes to ownership. You should not own anything, ownership of an animal would indicate a lack of freedom for the dog. You would have no right to deny the dog it’s freedom.
    Again if the prolitariat decided to embrace political ideals from China – heartbrake would occur. Poor Rover or even Tibby the cat’s days would be numbered. An extract from an edict from the Chinese city of Jinan.

““No person is permitted to keep a dog of any kind,” said the notice posted on gateposts around the community of mostly high-rise apartment blocks. “Deal with it on your own, or else the committee will organise people to enter your home and club the dog to death right there.”

• Tsunki

Feb 23, 2018 at 3:54 PM

No I suppose a booting dog has rights too. Especially the right not to wear comedy t shirts.

• Rotonda heights

Feb 23, 2018 at 4:00 PM

Shelvey in that interview actually comes over as being quite articulate and not quite the mono syllabic knuckle dragger that he is often painted to be.

• RobLeenio

Feb 23, 2018 at 4:04 PM

I’m pretty sure that interview is at least a couple of weeks old. It’s a good one, though – seems like he’s sorting his head out. If his performance vs Man U is the result, then let’s hope he continues with the progress.

• Basogeordie

Feb 23, 2018 at 4:15 PM

Cor look at me I can change it n all. Who’d of thought it done it all by myself, must be because I’m not from the Older generation.

Step to far don’t want to appear to sanctimonious pushing my current political leanings onto a football blog. Ill change it….

• DubaiMicky

Feb 23, 2018 at 4:16 PM

You have to wonder what our medical team is playing at with us signing Slimani, or maybe it was, we may need someone, so anyone, risk worth taking.

• Ron Knee

Feb 23, 2018 at 4:19 PM

Slimani’s signing is the result of Charnley’s meticulous planning.

• Belfast

Feb 23, 2018 at 4:23 PM

He’s gonna play about two games isn’t he ? You just know it. Meh!

• manxpie

Feb 23, 2018 at 4:24 PM

Pretty sure thats just your impression of him rotonda

Feb 23, 2018 at 4:26 PM

Mister Tuff

A dog wouldn’t be a problem, I would just take my faithful pooch with me to the Soylent Green factory, we’ll feed the world together.

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Feb 23, 2018 at 4:27 PM

No one likes a crook, but honestly what has Slimani done lately?

…absolutely nothing!

Feb 23, 2018 at 4:27 PM

Now could the Slimani injury be a smokescreen to fool Eddie Howe, mmmmmmhhhhhh!

• hibbit

Feb 23, 2018 at 4:28 PM

OR
    lack of it ……Ron

• Belfast

Feb 23, 2018 at 4:29 PM

Nah I don’t think so Bill. I think we were all hoping that was the case a few weeks ago before the Palace game.

Feb 23, 2018 at 4:29 PM

Probably not!!!

• Basogeordie

Feb 23, 2018 at 4:30 PM

Essex Geordie Bill you ever get to Roots Hall, I see you posting about a local team “Canvey” the other day.

I think a fit Slimani could have been exactly what we needed for the run in. He’s a powerful finisher & runner and chit hot with his head, slightly reminds me of something in between Big Dunc and Wor Al. I preferred him over Sturridge.

• Ron Knee

Feb 23, 2018 at 4:30 PM

He’s got the magic touch, hibbit!

Feb 23, 2018 at 4:37 PM

Basogeordie

I went to the Toon v Southend friendly pre last season, it’s a blo0dy horrible ground but I enjoyed the game, Shelvey was immense in it and Mbemba really impressed me.

Wouldn’t want to go there on a regular basis unless the Toon or the Heed were playing there.

Feb 23, 2018 at 4:39 PM

Basogeordie

As for Slimani, it’ll be good if we ever see any of his abilities. 🙁

• Belfast

Feb 23, 2018 at 4:40 PM

Poor Tsunki is getting a bit tight on here lately. I think you should desist from your blog police activities immediately. Ian was right – The blog should police itself. [Chapter 4]
    [Verse 9] Ian Toon old testament.

• Tsunki

Feb 23, 2018 at 4:41 PM

No I think Slimani was a smokescreen to fool Benitez. Probably slurping mocktails in the Curtis Good Lounge about now.

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Feb 23, 2018 at 4:41 PM

Essex…I think that was the thought of any Leicester fan

• Tsunki

Feb 23, 2018 at 4:42 PM

Hello Belfast. Welcome to the blog. Which wing do you prefer?

• Tsunki

Feb 23, 2018 at 4:42 PM

Oh and Belfast please don’t summon the reverend I’ve had enough sermons today ta. 🙂

• Belfast

Feb 23, 2018 at 4:47 PM

Tsunki
    Hmmmm, No comment.

• Basogeordie

Feb 23, 2018 at 4:48 PM

Yeah its not the most comfortable of grounds but nothing like the old dell used to be, now that was uncomfortable, but ive never say in the away end. First time I went there with me old man we lost 4 nil in the League then a year later we could only muster a 1 1 draw. Shockers!

Me and the old fella was there for the friendly too, they stuck a picture of us in the Chronicle holding up a Southend scarf wearing our black and whites. I go a good handful of times a season with my lad to support the local and all that

• Belfast

Feb 23, 2018 at 4:50 PM

Ian Toon was always a big advocate of the self policing policy. Now we know why.

Feb 23, 2018 at 4:52 PM

I quite like chicken wings, not KFC’s though.

• DubaiMicky

Feb 23, 2018 at 4:57 PM

I prefer beef curtains EGB

• RobLeenio

Feb 23, 2018 at 5:02 PM

There’s something disturbing over the phrase ‘beef curtains’ when confronted with Maggie Thatcher’s face

• Nostradamus the Geordie

Feb 23, 2018 at 5:04 PM

So a 0 – 1 Victory over Bournemouth and we can leap frog them, with some other wins going our way like Everton showing up at Watford and Liverpool not screwing up a home tie against West Ham could see us 10th in the league. Slimani not fit is just annoying as hell, Bournemouth have lost their last two home games so I hope that trend happens. If Watford can win there why cant we, 1-2 win for Newcastle.

Feb 23, 2018 at 5:05 PM

DubaiMicky

Do try the Soylent Green burgers, mmmmmhhhh delicious.