Mitro Scoring Goals And Enjoying Life At Fulham

23-year-old Newcastle striker Aleksandar Mitrovic is on loan at Fulham and has scored a goal in each of his last two games and seems to be enjoying life at Fulham.

The Cottagers had a terrific 2-0 home win against Championship leaders Wolves on Saturday, and that takes them into 5th place in the league on 59 points.

That puts Fulham only 8 points behind second-placed Cardiff, and with their red-hot form of the last two months, they could even get an automatic promotion place.

They could also be well positioned if they only make the playoffs if they can keep up their terrific form.

The contrast is that Rafa Benitez doesn’t seem to trust Mitro and he was scarcely used by the Newcastle manager this season or even last season.

Newcastle are even in a little trouble now with new loan signing Islam Slimani still injured, so we are missing Mitro.

Fulham head coach Slavisa Jokanovic is an excellent manager who got Watford promoted a few years ago, and he also did well at Fulham last season when Fulham beat Newcastle twice.

The Cottagers got off to a poor start in the first half of this season.

But now they look like they are the in-form team in the Championship and Mitro is helping them with his goals.

Mitrovic – scores his first goal for Fulham at Bristol City

This is what Mitrovic has told Get West London:

“It was good, the team already know my style and try to use me in the best way,”

“The ball is where I like to receive, in my legs, with the defender on my shoulder so they try to play me every time.”

“They know how to use me and it was a nice goal and it was a nice feeling to score my first goal here at Craven Cottage and I hope I will continue this.”

“I didn’t play a lot or start many games at Newcastle. When you compare all the games that I played there, just 10 or 15 minutes each week, I didn’t have a lot of chances to score goals.”

“But here, I get a warm welcome from the lads and the coaching staff and the fans, and I really enjoy it here.”

“The style we play here is very different to the one we play at Newcastle, so for me it’s much easier to play because I have a lot of crosses and chances created for me.”

“And the lads are always looking to use me the way they like, which is where I’m strongest.”

“I enjoy it here and hope I can continue like this – the team enjoy it too and we haven’t lost in 12 games so that’s a big deal for a team, for confidence and for mentality.”

“At Newcastle, the team there played a compact shape and mostly counter attacked, so this is not where I am strongest.”

“This is the style that Rafa played and I have to accept this, but here I have adapted really fast because we play attacking football with a lot of crosses and balls into the box and around it too.”

“I don’t think about Rafa, about Newcastle, I am a Fulham player, I’m here and want to get Fulham promoted – this is our target.”

“My target is, of course, to score as many as I can, but first my target is to try help the team every day.

“Of course I wish Newcastle all the best, I hope they will stay in the league, they deserve it because they have a good team, good fans and a good manager.”

“I hope they will stay in the league and in the summer we will see what happens, but I’m happy here, focused here and looking forward to playing every game.”

“My only target is to help Fulham to get promoted.”

Rafa says there’s still a chance for Mitro to make it at Newcastle.

However, it’s almost cast-iron certain that Mitro will be sold in the summer and he could even join another Premier League club.

Maybe that will be Fulham?

Who Was Newcastle's Best Player At Bournemouth?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• Spellcheck

Feb 26, 2018 at 10:58 AM

It’s fair to say, that in the past for us, Mitrovic has missed many clear opportunities laid onto him but judging by his international exploits I truly think he would have scored more frequently than the useless Joselu. Mixing it up with the opponents centebacks, holding the hall up more proficiently. Saddened me that Rafa never gave the big Serb a chance.

• Spellcheck

Feb 26, 2018 at 10:59 AM

• Munster Mag

Feb 26, 2018 at 11:12 AM

Always seemed like a strange decision not to give him more game time with us. This guy played champions league ffs! He will keep scoring too.

• RobLeenio

Feb 26, 2018 at 11:21 AM

Spellcheck / Munster – lads, he’s still a Newcastle player, just on loan. Rafa will be keeping a very close eye on him, if he likes what he sees then he’ll come back to the Toon next season like a new signing. If not, then arrivederci and thanks for the memories. If the latter happened, I wouldn’t be shedding any tears but if the former happens then I’ll give him the respect he deserves for fighting back from the brink.

• toonincheek

Feb 26, 2018 at 11:28 AM

Seems to me to be a bit of a nonsense to say that
    Mitro would have scored more goals that Joselu.

They are different players requiring different service.

Point is – to play Mitro, we would have to change our
    style of play and there’s no knowing if that would work.

• Belfast

Feb 26, 2018 at 11:40 AM

He has no future with us with Rafa in charge. I think that’s pretty obvious and I don’t think him scoring goals in the championship will change Rafa’s opinion to be honest.

I do fancy Fulham to get promoted though. So we’ll probably get our money back on him.

• Belfast

Feb 26, 2018 at 11:45 AM

Although it’s possible Rafa could leave and Mitrovic returns and does a Roy of the rovers. I’m throwing Manxpie a bone here, keeping his spirits up.

• jayphoto

Feb 26, 2018 at 12:10 PM

right player, I like him a lot, but he needs wingers playing wide and getting the ball into the box in a team that attacks more than it defends. Rafas system is all wrong for him as its inverted wingers coming inside and he expects the striker to run into the channels. To be fair the system is more important than one player and Mitro had his chances. If Ashley stays and rafa goes in the summer I imagine Mitro will come back, do fairly well under a journeyman English manager (pardew second coming maybe) and notch the 10 goals a season hes probably capable of….

• SuperShearer

Feb 26, 2018 at 12:28 PM

I was at Craven Cottage to watch this game (stag do). Mitro was solid. 1st Half his first touch was poor and he kept drifting out wide – It was frustrating that he was either doing this or had been asked to do it as he was so isolated up top by himself. In the 2nd Half his two wide forwards sat higher up allowing him to stay more central and he bossed their defence. They looked very concerned whenever he got on the ball.
    Watching him it is sad he isn’t with us at the moment as I do think he could do a job for us. But clearly Rafa doesn’t trust him and there were moments in the match I could see why. From a corner Fulham were defending he was marking one of their tall players, as soon as the ball was fired in he was shoving him in the back. It’s the kind of thing that if seen in the Prem would result in a penalty. It’s not just a shove, it’s two hands in the middle of the back pushing with force.
    Still, nice to see the big man score and pick up man of the match. Although for me Cairney bossed the midfield and should probably have taken the accolades.

• Laurent Robert The Legend

Feb 26, 2018 at 12:45 PM

With Rafa it’s all about work rate of the player and thats why a donkey lioe Joselu gets picked over Mitro. Same thing happened with ben arfa when pardwho was incharge. It’s good to have hard working teams..but managers also need to understand that some players are assets, may be with their flair or passion. But the irony is that these playes become fan favourites and not managers favourites 🙁

• RobLeenio

Feb 26, 2018 at 12:51 PM

Laurent Robert – “the irony is that these playes become fan favourites and not managers favourites”. Not being funny, but I’d rather have a team picked by Rafa than 50k p!ssed up Geordies on a match day.

• SuperShearer

Feb 26, 2018 at 12:53 PM

@ LaurentRobertTheLegend – There is no denying Mitro’s passion. He was involved in both Fulham goals on Saturday evening and both times he was clearly bursting with pride. I think that passion he has is also what Rafa doesn’t trust. Watching him he often does look like he’s on the edge of doing something stupid.

That being said I do think we might need someone willing to put their body on the line in front of goal in the upcoming games. It’s a shame he’s not with us for the relegation scrap but I trust Rafa and he clearly feels that playing Mitro is too much of a risk – Mitro’s comments after his last suspension demonstrate that he is naive and that is not good at the highest level in knowing what is going to get you sent off.

• Tsunki

Feb 26, 2018 at 12:57 PM

I think we should all hear what beefman has to say about his Flat Earth theory again. 😀

Sorry beefman, it’s not a theory if it’s FACT!, Right?

• jayphoto

Feb 26, 2018 at 12:58 PM

@robleenio – spot on.. especially in this side…we’re seriously low on actual ability compared to most other sides, the reason we’re not adrift with WBA is organisation and work rate, we have no leeway for a luxery player! Ive watched Gayle in last few weeks and he runs himself into the ground, as do Perez, Ritchie, Kenedy, Atsu etc, our strength is actually how we play without the ball and Mitrovic just doesn’t tie in to that! I can see him being a good premier league striker..ironically hes probably the striker pardew was crying out for for 3 seasons

• martoon

Feb 26, 2018 at 1:16 PM

A lot of negativity on here this morning about relegation. While it was gutting to only come away with a draw on Saturday it’s not quite time to be hurling ourselves off a cliff just yet! Four points from games against Man U and Bournemouth away is still OK even if they were obtained the wrong way round.
    I think the crunch games are the home games against Southampton, Huddersfield and WBA – these are the games we have to do well in!

• Lee Charnley Bunga Party

Feb 26, 2018 at 1:23 PM

It wouldn’t surprise me if we did it the other way around and got something against Liverpool , Arsenal and Everton and struggled to get results against the bottom teams

• jayphoto

Feb 26, 2018 at 1:27 PM

@lee charnley – I cant see us beating Huddersfield…wagner seems to know how to beat benitez…they played us off the park all 3 times (despite us winning one) but then I can see us beating Southampton and maybe suprising against arsenal or Chelsea!
    im working with some stoke box holders today and their general thoughts are that we are better than them but theyre too good to go down…
    Personally think West brom, Swansea and Huddersfield will go

• c-dog

Feb 26, 2018 at 1:27 PM

Slimani, so far, can only be regarded as a panic buy and a crock. Hopefully he does something for us in the near future.

• RobLeenio

Feb 26, 2018 at 1:31 PM

martoon, I think you’re right over the negativity. While we shouldn’t be complacent, we should acknowledge that we’ve done a lot of the required yards already. We only need another 9 points IMO to be safe – 38 points should be enough – so 2 wins from those highlighted games in your post, plus three points from elsewhere (we’ve been drawing plenty recently so shouldn’t be too much of a stretch) and we’ll be fine.

• beefman13

Feb 26, 2018 at 1:32 PM

Oi chunks, you heard it here first, of course, its just a theory i believe in,it is not a fact, been in to it for quite a while, but in my opinion we have been fed horse$hit for decades by NASA in particular, no spacecraft has been more than 400 miles above the Earth since the “moon” landings that is a fact, imo they did not happen either, its a footie forum but Jail had a bit of a pop earlier, so opened a can of worms, he thinks i hate Benitez, in truth i have not ever liked the fella wherever he has been, he has wasted far to many opportunities at home and not played to the strengths of that , and away from home, he has us playing a decent style then we curl up when we are leading inviting pressure every time. just opinion isn’t it.

• Jib

Feb 26, 2018 at 1:46 PM

That’s a relief
    having read some of Beefman’s beliefs
    I feel a lot better about the garbage he
    spouts re footy and Rafa

• RobLeenio

Feb 26, 2018 at 1:49 PM

beefman13, I think you need to check your ‘facts’ – maybe no manned space craft has been higher than 400 mils above Earth since the 1960s (I don’t know that to be true, just conceding it as a point) but there have been rover landings on asteroids, Mars, Mercury, flybys of Venus, Pluto and others and Voyager has just left the solar system behind and is now out in interstellar space, the first man-made object to do that. Many have taken photos of Earth and beamed them back and all have shown the Earth to be round. A lot like a football or Joe Kinnear’s head (to bring it back on-topic, cough cough)

• Lee Charnley Bunga Party

Feb 26, 2018 at 1:50 PM

Yeah thing is every game is on a knife edge at the moment it could all come down to nerves on the day !

Huddersfield are similar to us in that they use a lot of work rate if we played like we did against Bournemouth I think we can beat them but then I don’t recall us playing like that at home too many times this season?

Shelvey is the one for me if he can keep up the level of attacking performance that he has recently we will be fine but there is always the danger that he will get sent off………. especially against Livepool!!

• jayphoto

Feb 26, 2018 at 1:57 PM

if im honest I quite liked Joe Kinnear…in recent years I preferred him to Allardyce, souness, Pardew, Carver and McClaren… His side for the brief time he had it was competitive and surprisingly wasn’t awful to watch.. drew too many games tho.. met the guy a while back and hes very funny and friendly

• Tsunki

Feb 26, 2018 at 1:57 PM

And jib gets a heart from me you heard it here first ! 😀

Ok so NASA are a bunch of state-sponsored propagandists – how have they persuaded the Russian, European, Japanese and even Indian space agencies to collude with them on this ball in space thing?

Beefman one thing puzzles me – when the players are booting that bit of leather/neoprene/Kevlar around the pitch, what is it they are kicking? It looks ball-shapes to me but maybe NASA’s heavies have been sent round to all the football…sorry footdisc associations and had the frighteners put on them too? The plot thickens.

• Tsunki

Feb 26, 2018 at 1:58 PM

Beats politics as an alternative to footy on a slow news day. 🙂

• Tsunki

Feb 26, 2018 at 1:59 PM

Forgot the Chinese didn’t i?

• jayphoto

Feb 26, 2018 at 2:06 PM

@lee charnley – difference is, we’ve really rotated the midfield under Benitez whereas Huddersfield haven’t… think our depth is greater, players like Atsu whos had a break lately, Murphy, Merino, Hayden have all had time off, add that to Kenedy and Dummet missing big spells of the seasons games and we potentially will have a lot fitter side come march/april/may! Similarly when slimani comes in, even be it april, he should be a lot fresher than most.
    Wagner ran them into the ground last year and they sank like a stone in March and april so he dropped his 11 for may to recover for the playoffs which they scraped! reckon hes done the same for them this year

• Lee Charnley Bunga Party

Feb 26, 2018 at 2:07 PM

So if Gayle misses the game on Saturday?

I would actually play Perez up top as he is going to be chasing lost causes and then maybe slip in Merino in the midfield 3 just to give us a bit more protection

Going to be a tough game regardless of who plays for us

• Lee Charnley Bunga Party

Feb 26, 2018 at 2:09 PM

Yeah we have done well with injuries apart from the odd couple of players missing !

I think Swansea’s luck has run out they were getting so many results there on another day they would have been spanked 4 or 5 nil!!

Brighton for me look safe they seem to be able to score goals now and are solid at the back

• G

Feb 26, 2018 at 2:11 PM

Fairly certain I read once that the Ancient Greeks noticed the Earth was sphere long before some bloke called Jesus started kicking around in what’s now Israel.

• Basogeordie

Feb 26, 2018 at 2:12 PM

Beefman you know us humans have known the earth is a sphere for over 2000 years right?? Correct me if i’m wrong but I don’t think NASA have been around for that long! You should keep that Looney theory to yourself or no one will take anything you say seriously. I genuinely believe that the flat earthers society started as a wind up then when it people took it seriosly they just ran with it. The dumbing down of society is in full swing nowadays, now Beefman either your or product of that or youve gott be a mackem

• Basogeordie

Feb 26, 2018 at 2:14 PM

• Jib

Feb 26, 2018 at 2:16 PM

At last night’s NESW dinner at Ramside Hall
    One of the winners Jamaal Lascelles was
    asked his opinion about NUFC’s situation.

he said :-

“We wish we were in a better position than we
    are but there are still ten games left and the way we
    are playing I think we are going to be more than safe.
    Everyone is really confident with each other and
    with a manager like this behind us that brings
    even more confidence.”

• Basogeordie

Feb 26, 2018 at 2:16 PM

Pythagoras I believe was the first and he’s gotta be at least 400 years pre the man they called Jebus

• bettyswallocks

Feb 26, 2018 at 2:24 PM

Beef an…….. Did you hear about the new restaurant on the moon? Apparently the food is great but there’s no atmosphere.

• Mister Tuff

Feb 26, 2018 at 2:25 PM

Wow – followers of the Flat Earth Society do exist. Can’t believe it. As Chris Kamara would say :-

un………………..bel …………..iev………………able.

• lesh

Feb 26, 2018 at 2:29 PM

With respect sir, I think your view that as new loan signing Islam Slimani still injured we are missing Mitro is hypothetical. Why?
    It’s probably the case that Ashley wouldn’t have sanctioned Slimani’s loan unless someone was taken off the payroll. That someone was Mitro.

In principle, Mitro going out made sense but where it’s all come home to roost, is Ashley, Barnes and Charnley leaving things to the mercy of the last few hours of the month long transfer window when choices were to say the least, limiter.

The whole bloody mess is yet again, down to Ashley’s interference in the playing side of things and his miserly control of money.

• beefman13

Feb 26, 2018 at 2:30 PM

Baso, Werner von braun, world’s leading astronomical engineer had on his gravestone, PSALMS 19.1 he knew.

• Our Toon

Feb 26, 2018 at 2:35 PM

Slimani is currently being used like Mitro was, not at all. Doesn’t matter what was or wasn’t sanctioned as the fact remains we didn’t use an international striker as he didn’t fit rafa’s style of play.

Hopefully Slimani gets fit sooner rather than later but he’ll need a fair few games to get match fit. Overall we won’t see the best of Slimani at all during this loan spell and in hindsight we’d have been better off keeping Mitro