Jamaal Lascelles Absolutely Nails It – Why Newcastle Are A Special Team

It’s history now that Rafa Benitez was not able to make any big money buys last summer.

Newcastle had been down in the Championship for a season, and we lost out on some big money from the Premier League.

We were unable to match other clubs financial prowess who had stayed up.

Those clubs were many and included such as Bournemouth, West Brom, Watford, Stoke, Swansea, Southampton, and Burnley.

Add to that the fact that owner Mike Ashley doesn’t like to spend money at the best of times and Rafa has built his team this season on chicken-feed.

Jamaal Lascelles – gets it about Newcastle

We spent just short of £20M net on players last summer, and Rafa was able to bring in three loan players in January.

Newcastle captain has nailed why Newcastle are a (very) special team as he has been interviewed in the Shields Gazette today:

“There was a lot of umming and ahhing about us not signing a lot of players.”

“But we all played in the Championship last season and a lot of these lads had played in the Premier League in the past,”

“So, for me, I knew that my team had what it takes individually and collectively to survive.”

“When we cross that white line, we all work for each other. When we do, we’re as strong as anyone.”

“Our main strength has been the fact we’ve not been like others who can buy £25M players. “We can’t do that, so we have to be stronger in other areas.”

“As a team, we’re together. “Every player gives absolutely everything when they cross the line with the shirt on their back.”

“The people in the city are so passionate about the club. I have no doubt we have the best fans in the land.”

“I do feel it. As a player, I feel like the onus is on me and us as a team to give our all.”

“They’re not asking for some crazy skill all the time. What they want is hard work.” “That’s the least we can give.”

“If results come with that, then we’re over the moon.”

Jamaal Lascelles was appointed captain by Benitez before our relegation season when he was only 22.

He certainly understands fully why Newcastle are a special team and a special club.

We hope in the final 10 games of the season we can get enough points to survive.

Then Rafa should get some sizable transfer funds in the summer to strengthen the side significantly so we are not fighting relegation in the next year or two.

Rather we will be fighting to become a top six club again.

Howay The Lads!!

How Will Newcastle Fare At Liverpool?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• Jib

Mar 2, 2018 at 8:46 AM

Florian Lejeune in the Chronicle:
    “It is an absolute joy and honour to play for Rafa Benitez.”
    “To work with him each day is great for me.”
    “I signed for Newcastle United pretty much for Rafa Benitez”

• Ruddy Marveaux-lous

Mar 2, 2018 at 8:56 AM

Lascelles always sounds the right notes and is a proper leader. I just hope he feels strongly enough about the club when his star inevitably rises and England come calling.

If the likes of Harry Maguire and Michael Keane are getting caps then it should only be a matter of time before Lascelles is called up – though if he does then we’ll have a fight on our hands to keep him.

On this weekend, I can’t see us getting anything at Anfield, they’re a special team going forward and Salah is just a sumptuous footballer. If we get stuck in early doors and press the midfield hard and rob them of space and maybe nick an early goal then maybe we stand a chance. Predictions? 3-0 defeat

• Jib

Mar 2, 2018 at 8:58 AM

The M62 this morning
    If I had a ticket for Anfield
    I’d be thinking about the train

• RobLeenio

Mar 2, 2018 at 9:00 AM

Great quotes from our Captain Fantastic there. Thanks for sharing the Lejeune quote too Jib. If these guys can forge a partnership, we may have our best / most popular CB pairing since Darren Peacock and Philippe Albert. One an enforcer, strong on the ground and in the air, another more creative, comfortable with the ball on the ground.

• RobLeenio

Mar 2, 2018 at 9:05 AM

Ruddy, I agree with almost everything you’ve said, especially on Salah, who should be talked about in the same terms as Messi, Ronaldo and Neymar, his movement, pace and accuracy shooting and passing is phenomenal.

That said, we haven’t been beaten by 3 goals since November when Lascelles was out and Lejeune recovering from his injury. I don’t see why we will get a tonking at Anfield.

An optimistic 1-1 for me, Gayle with ours

• Munster Mag

Mar 2, 2018 at 12:11 PM

Top top man.

• NEWEXPATMAGPIE

Mar 2, 2018 at 12:28 PM

We threw away two points against Bournmouth with Jonjo getting the blame until it came out that he,s been carrying an Injury ! Like to think we can nick a point against The Reds but it won,t be easy, they have a top four team at the moment. My prediction is a 3-1 loss, maybe 0-1 at half time but the way we are they will maybe score the last two goals in the last 15 minutes?