Pundit’s Prediction – Newcastle Will Make It Difficult For Liverpool

Sky Sports pundit Paul Merson very rarely predicts a Newcastle win, and you couldn’t expect him to predict 3 points at Liverpool tomorrow.

But for the Manchester United game – although he predicted a Red Devils win – he did say Newcastle could surprise the Red Devils.

That’s just exactly what we did in the 1-0 win.

Paul predicts a narrow win for Liverpool on Saturday but says that Rafa Benitez can make it difficult for his former club, who have been in sparkling form lately and seem to be scoring goals for fun.

Paul Merson – predicts a narrow Liverpool win

This is what Paul has said on Sky Sports:

“Last week’s result was a huge disappointment for Newcastle.”

“Having won the week before and to be 2-0 up away from home, winning back-to-back games in a relegation scrap can be massive.”

“We saw that with Huddersfield. It can give you that free swing in a game you’re not expected to win.”

“Huddersfield can go into the Tottenham game this weekend and if they lose it’s no big deal.”

“They did their job in the previous weeks. Newcastle could have had that with victory at Bournemouth.”

“They will make things difficult for Liverpool though, who will be fully focused on getting a result.”

“They’ve got Champions League next midweek but after their first leg result, they should not be taking their eyes off Newcastle.”

“They need as many points as possible before the Champions League quarter-finals, starting with a hard-fought win over Newcastle on Saturday.”

Prediction: 2-1

A draw would be a great result for us tomorrow at Anfield.

How Will Newcastle Fare At Liverpool?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• G

Mar 2, 2018 at 9:10 AM

I can feel a bore draw coming on. I believe Rafa will well and truly park the bus in this one, and with Liverpool’s front 3 on fire, I can’t say I blame him. Expect Hayden to be in the midfield tomorrow with Diame, even if Shelvey is fit for it.

• Moonraker15

Mar 2, 2018 at 9:19 AM

I’ve come to dread going to Anfield, Manchester or Arsenal over recent years prior to Rafa coming, but not now with the gaffer in charge. He is a genius I don’t care what anybody says he was made for Newcastle !
    Howay the Lads !

• Mag52

Mar 2, 2018 at 9:20 AM

Looking forward to being bored, and nicking a point, at the weekend.

• G

Mar 2, 2018 at 9:22 AM

I will be happy with a point, ecstatic with 3, but feel that is highly unlikely. Would love Rafa to prove me wrong on that one (again).

• Jail for Ashley

Mar 2, 2018 at 9:25 AM

Mar 2, 2018 at 8:40 AM

NEWEXPATMAGPIE
    This just is not going to happen with Mike Ashley as the owner

In your opinion.

It’s not just his opinion though is it Jib, it’s about 97% of the opinions of anyone who knows anything about the game at the moment.

• Jib

Mar 2, 2018 at 9:27 AM

This SHOULD be the
    Starting Eleven

but we await injury updates at noon
    🙁

• Jib

Mar 2, 2018 at 9:29 AM

Jail it’s still an opinion

NEWEXPATMAGPIE
    stated it as if it were a fact

You’ve still got probs with
    english comprehension I see
    😀

• Ruddy Marveaux-lous

Mar 2, 2018 at 9:35 AM

RobLeenio from last thread

Whilst I do have faith in our defenders I genuinely think that Liverpool will just have too much for us hence why I think they’ll put a few past us.

But who knows, maybe if we get a few lucky breaks and play out of our skin we could upset the Apple cart.

As for winning trophies under Mike Ashley? Absolutely no chance – 10+ years of evidence would prove that for all but the most deluded of fans or MA shills so it’s pretty much fact.

• Jib

Mar 2, 2018 at 9:51 AM

shill definition.
    an accomplice of a confidence trickster or swindler who poses
    as a genuine customer to entice or encourage others.
    eg
    “I used to be a shill in a Reno gambling club”

That’s good Ruddy

You really should learn there are folk
    in the world who have a different opinion
    to you and are entitled to it without insult.

Read Ed’s blog rules

• Tsunki

Mar 2, 2018 at 9:55 AM

Pfft blog rules last time i pointed them out i was rounded on by the full spectrum of political zealots in a landmark show of mutual support and solidarity for having the audacity to mention a reasonable course of complying 😀 Bon chance with quoting blog rules. 😐

• Tsunki

Mar 2, 2018 at 9:58 AM

I reckon…hic….Liverpool will schmash Newcastle …burp…just like…pop…belch…..man utd did….hic..

Cheers Mers.

• Tsunki

Mar 2, 2018 at 9:58 AM

…clink…

• Tsunki

Mar 2, 2018 at 10:01 AM

Jib –

“You really should learn there are folk
    in the world who have a different opinion
    to you and are entitled to it without insult.”

I don’t know about English Comprehension but have you ever got round to mastering irony, my old treacle pud? 🙂

• Jib

Mar 2, 2018 at 10:10 AM

Tsunki
    It’s hard to talk with my
    tongue in my cheek
    😎

• RobLeenio

Mar 2, 2018 at 10:22 AM

Ruddy, I hear what you’re saying about Liverpool’s attacking prowess, I really do – they are phenomenal, but so are Man City and we didn’t get stuffed off them. Rafa has found a way to stop our lads from looking at the top 6 with fear but with the respect they are due. This has enabled him to come up with a plan which can contain their attacking players and prevent the embarrassments of the past. While we may get beaten, I’ll be very surprised if it’s by a clear 3 goals. This doesn’t mean that they won’t score 3 goals, but if they try to attack us that hard, they’ll leave gaps for us to score one or two of our own.

Of course, I could be proven completely wrong and no doubt we will get hammered at some point, I just don’t see it being this weekend

• VanToonMan

Mar 2, 2018 at 10:44 AM

Guys we should just assume tomorrow is a write-off and we just not get smashed so our GD is not affected too badly.

As I said in a previous post – beat Southampton, Huddersfield and WBA at home takes us to 38 – pretty much safe with nicking a couple draws elsewhere (maybe at Watford/Goodison)

If we do get something tomorrow then it’s an added bonus like the Man Utd and Bournemouth results were.

• A Pain in the Blog

Mar 2, 2018 at 10:50 AM

NUFC last 4 away results:
    D 2-2 Bournemouth
    D 1-1 Palace
    L 3-1 Man City
    W 1-0 Stoke

Liverpool last 4 home matches
    W 4-1 West Ham
    D 2-2 Spurs
    W 4-3 Man City
    W 2-1 Leicester

I think we will do better than West Ham but still lose by the odd goal (i.e. do as well as Man City and Leicester), probably 2-1. I’d love to see a draw but I just don’t think it is likely.

• RobLeenio

Mar 2, 2018 at 10:52 AM

Just been looking at Lawro’s predictions table and according to his predictions this season, we would be 16th with only 21 points, having lost 15 games and only won 4. As it stands, we are 15th and have 29 points including 7 wins and 13 losses.

Mind, according to him, West Brom would be in 9th on 35 points!

• A Pain in the Blog

Mar 2, 2018 at 11:14 AM

BBC Sport have published the latest Premiership final league positions, this time from super-computer SAM (Sports Analytics Machine) – created by Professor Ian McHale and Dr Tarak Kharrat at the University of Liverpool. They say it “predicts the outcome of football matches based on results, teams, players and every event in every match, and then simulates sequences of games.”

14 (41) NUFC
    15 (40) Huddersfield
    16 (39) Southampton
    17 (39) Palace
    18 (38) Swansea
    19 (38) Stoke
    20 (32) West Brom

Strangely, these are the same league positions as today – with the exception that we have swapped places with Huddersfield. I wonder if super-computer SAM is really a Sinclair Spectrum.

• RobLeenio

Mar 2, 2018 at 11:14 AM

What’s that? One mention of Lawro and everyone runs screaming for the hills?

I liked him when he was our defence coach under Keegan. It must have been the most thankless job in football getting the entertainers to defend. Since then he’s gradually become a bit of a tool

• RobLeenio

Mar 2, 2018 at 11:27 AM

A Pain in the Blog. I think I’ll print off a copy of that table and use it for wiping my backside – it’s about all it’s useful for.

West Brom to gain another 12 points in 10 games when they’ve had one in the last 5?

Swansea to be relegated when they’re in such good form?

Palace to gain another 12 points after grabbing 2 in the last 5 games?

They’ve predicted ALL of the bottom 7 to gain between 10 and 12 points, with NUFC, Palace, Saints, West Brom, Stoke gaining 12, Swansea getting 11 and Hudds getting 10. If that happens, I’ll be getting the binoculars out as pigs will be soaring overhead

• G

Mar 2, 2018 at 11:39 AM

RobLeenio, I think that was the point Pain was making with this statement mate:

“I wonder if super-computer SAM is really a Sinclair Spectrum.”

Whilst teams at the bottom do usually scream for every point available this time of year I can’t see that being very accurate either.

• RobLeenio

Mar 2, 2018 at 11:47 AM

G, I know A Pain in Blog was being sceptical, I certainly wasn’t pouring scorn on him – I’m grateful he posted the table, as I am to anyone who shares on here. Apologies if it came across that way, Pain – reading it back I can see how it may have done

• Jib

Mar 2, 2018 at 11:50 AM

• A Pain in the Blog

Mar 2, 2018 at 11:50 AM

Actually, Rob, I did’t read it that way.

• A Pain in the Blog

Mar 2, 2018 at 11:51 AM

But thanks G for looking after my blog welfare. Much appreciated.

• G

Mar 2, 2018 at 12:06 PM

Wasn’t looking after your welfare Pain, but thought RobLeenio had missed the point of your post. It’s all good guys.