Rafa Press Conference – Shelvey Out – Extent Of Injury Still Unknown

Rafa has just given his press conference for the very tough game at Anfield tomorrow, and he has confirmed that Jonjo Shelvey will not be available.

But the extent of his knee injury is still unknown.

Rafa Benitez – during press conference

Here are some of Rafa’s initial comments during the press conference:

“We don’t know how serious (Shelvey) at the moment, but we have to wait and see exactly how he is.” Gayle is fine, Ritchie is fine. Slimani is working hard to regain his fitness in training.”

“We need to try to get the same intensity. Liverpool are a great team.”

“We have had the indoor pitch and it was fine. We will train today on the grass.”

“The change of weather has made sure we’re awake and alert. I was telling Ayoze: ‘When you were in Tenerife, you couldn’t tell when it was Christmas, it’s always hot.'”

“We have indoor pitches so we worked hard there and we will train outside this afternoon.”

“The main thing is to win the game. It will be ‘all the best’ after the game.”

“We won so many things there and I enjoyed every minute. My family are still there. The connection is still there.”

Rafa will be going for a win in every single game of the ten remaining.

If we can beat Manchester United we can do well at Liverpool.

How Will Newcastle Fare At Liverpool?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• Essex Geordie Bill

Mar 2, 2018 at 12:27 PM

Thought the bus had stopped!

I had to chuckle at a comment by Mikel in a previous thread where he said he’d love for his mom to bring him some jam.

To the UK, where we have Tiptree’s and many many more fine jam producers.

Sorry Mikel but that’s a coals to Newcastle scenario (from the recent past to younger bloggers), we have the finest jam and marmalade in the world, plus a lot of good Spanish food.

A Spanish friend of my wife used to bemoan the fact that she could never find a good Paella in Spain, her mother made one so good that Rita Hayworth and other stars used to hire her just to cook for them.

Another bit of fairly useless info but true.

• DubaiMicky

Mar 2, 2018 at 12:31 PM

More to the point, how long to go EGB?

• Geordie-john

Mar 2, 2018 at 12:32 PM

I think that the only injury that Shelvey has, is his pride for missing that massive open goal which would have put the game to bed for us as it would have knocked the stuffing out of Bournemouth

• Essex Geordie Bill

Mar 2, 2018 at 12:32 PM

It’s amazing what you can make wine out of, I made some potato wine years ago which I haven’t actually opened yet, so it’s either going to be great or rubbish, the possibility of the latter has put me off opening it. 🙂

• Essex Geordie Bill

Mar 2, 2018 at 12:33 PM

Good question, Jib?

• Essex Geordie Bill

Mar 2, 2018 at 12:34 PM

Bus pass ready!

• Jib

Mar 2, 2018 at 12:36 PM

I bet Lampard and Shearer (and some posters on here)
    feel right stupid twats for slagging off Shelvey for putting
    his hands on his knees.
    Pundits meh !!!!

• Essex Geordie Bill

Mar 2, 2018 at 12:41 PM

I that thingy we were talking about a few threads ago (last night) I would have got back to you but I fear that “The Langoliers” have got that banter now.

• Jib

Mar 2, 2018 at 12:42 PM

nearly 29 hours precisely

• Essex Geordie Bill

Mar 2, 2018 at 12:44 PM

Dead right pal, I have to admit to being puzzled to see him doing that as he never neglects his defensive duties contrary to what some on the blog say.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Mar 2, 2018 at 12:48 PM

29 hours, blimey that’s more than a day, how will we manage to go that long.

Suppose we can find something to chat about.

Jam anyone or Stephen King movie?

• Munster Mag

Mar 2, 2018 at 12:52 PM

Good point re Lampard Jib although I guess Shelvey isn’t renowned for hard work. That said they can sod off. Big chance for merino, a lovely player.

• Ruddy Marveaux-lous

Mar 2, 2018 at 12:55 PM

Disappointing that Shelvey is out for tomorrow, though could be a blessing in disguise. We know how emotional he gets, he’d feel he has a point to prove at Liverpool and when he’s playing with emotion he loses his rag so perhaps this can work in our favour.

Personally, I’d like to see Merino in the starting XI tomorrow but Rafa will probably plump for Hayden, a bit more effective at breaking play up in the midfield.

We need a tonne of energy, lots of hassling, plenty of tackles flying in. We also need Yedlin to keep his defensive shape – he’s prone to an odd wander and we can’t afford that against a side as strong as Liverpool.

Predictions for tomorrow lads (and lasses)?

• Jail for Ashley

Mar 2, 2018 at 12:57 PM

I’d hate to see you get lost or confused, Souter (point) is about three miles south of the South pier.

• G

Mar 2, 2018 at 12:57 PM

EGB, never done Potato, as I am told that it is usually only any good for distilling into a rough Vodka (The type of which Russian backstreet bars blind punters with!). I’m lucky enough to live in an area where wild fruit grows aplenty, but in the lean months I tend to knock up a jam wine, or one from shop bought fruit juices. Sometimes they come out great, sometimes they come out slug-trap.

• Jail for Ashley

Mar 2, 2018 at 12:58 PM

My heart is saying a 1-1 draw and my head is saying a 0-3 tonking.

• Ruddy Marveaux-lous

Mar 2, 2018 at 12:59 PM

Technically good enough to play for Man City no doubt…

Still one of the most ludicrous things I’ve ever read lol

• Ruddy Marveaux-lous

Mar 2, 2018 at 1:02 PM

Yeah I think we’ll concede a few because they’ve got a wealth of attacking talent that I don’t think we can contain for 90mins

We’d need a lot of luck, some gritty performances and our big players really putting in a shift to even come away with a point.

That being said, if we take a point at Anfield I think by anyone’s reckoning we could start realistically talking about PL survival as a given.

• Munster Mag

Mar 2, 2018 at 1:16 PM

Agree Jail, 1-1 or 4-1 🙁

• Jib

Mar 2, 2018 at 1:17 PM

The foto was captioned wrongly
    Souter Lighthouse Tynemouth !?!?
    I recaptioned it but must have forgot
    to delete Souter
    Silly me
    Slap my ass and call me Sally

• AncientC

Mar 2, 2018 at 1:22 PM

The Liverpool Forum has a match thread up already; for anybody interested in the Liverpool fans opinions on the game:

• nufcalex

Mar 2, 2018 at 1:23 PM

Merino has to step up a level now to prove he’s worth the money. He’s got to have an outstanding performance for us to get anything from the game.

• Jib

Mar 2, 2018 at 1:33 PM

Comments off Ancient’s post

“This should be a piece of piss. 4-0 or 5-1.”

“4-0,should be easy.”

” i dont really want to see us batter them either because of rafa .
    plus newcastle in general with the amount of supporters it’s good
    for the league when they are in it”

• Moonraker15

Mar 2, 2018 at 1:36 PM

When Lampard made the comments about Shelvey, he showed what a lousy pundit he is, albeit a very good player, as he obviously hadn’t seen the Man Utd game and how Shelvey worked! He didn’t even give him credit for the pass to set up the first goal v Bournemouth, blaming the market for leaving his man!

• Moonraker15

Mar 2, 2018 at 1:36 PM

• Oldgit1

Mar 2, 2018 at 1:43 PM

@ AncientC thanks for the link, on reading some of the comments there appears to be a lot of respect for Rafa with some Liverpool supporters not wanting a hammering of NUFC. Some are suggesting a close result. Me, I would be happy with a 0-0 result.

• RobLeenio

Mar 2, 2018 at 1:58 PM

Must admit, Merino’s comment flumoxed me – I immediately thought of El Torero on the Quayside, never had a bad meal there. Can’t speak as to its authenticity as a true Spanish restaurant, rather than an Anglicised one, however.

• RobLeenio

Mar 2, 2018 at 1:59 PM

That said, hope he’s fuelled by plenty Patatas Bravas so he can help to mash the Scousers

• Ruddy Marveaux-lous

Mar 2, 2018 at 2:26 PM

I’d love us to get a result against Liverpool but I think we’re better off focusing on the home games against Soton, Huddersfield and WBA and targeting 3 pts in these games to secure our safety.

• Roger

Mar 2, 2018 at 4:54 PM

I think, we will win 6 to 0, because Klopp is an “Damischer Hirsch”