It Must Be Do Or Die For Newcastle On Saturday – Go For It!

51-year-old Newcastle icon John Beresford is working for International TV as a pundit, and he will be at the game on Saturday when we entertain (so to speak) fellow Premier League strugglers Southampton.

The Saints are managed by former Rafa Benitez assistant Mauricio Pellegrino, and we had an opportunity to win at St. Mary’s, but gave away a late penalty to end with a 2-2 draw.

But a draw will not be good enough on Saturday, and we must attack Southampton and hope like somebody like Dwight Gayle can put the ball in the back of the net.

Dwight could be a hero again for Newcastle if he can score some goals for us before the end of the season.

John Beresford – played for Newcastle from 1992-1998

Southampton are one of the few struggling Premier League sides who have a better goal difference than Newcastle; Saints have -12 compared to our -13,  so a win on Saturday can fix that.

Here’s some of what John Beresford has said in the Chronicle today starting with the Liverpool game:

“I’d have loved to have seen Newcastle go Gung Ho against Liverpool but the fear then was that they lose 5-0 or 6-0, something Rafa will have had in mind.”

“It’s frustrating because it was a chance to hit them on the break but maybe Rafa will have the last laugh.”

“But goal difference could be the difference between staying up or going down this year.”

“I spoke to Matt Le Tissier the other day and he told me Southampton are trying to grind out results and edge to safety.”

“I just hope Newcastle go for it on Saturday at St James’ Park.” “The crowd will want that.” “Look at the game against Man United, the fans were urging them forward.”

“Newcastle should get that desire to go forward back and go for the jugular.”

“I’ve seen both sides this season and the fear is the game starts too slowly and both teams end up accepting a point.”

A win will make Newcastle fans extremely happy and relieved in the three weeks of wilderness coming up after the game.

Our game the following Friday at Tottenham is canceled (no new date yet) because Spurs are still in the FA Cup.

And then we also have the two-week International break.

We don’t even want to think about a defeat against Southampton – so we won’t.

Note: For those of you using a desktop or larger screen to view the articles – when there are two columns – the RH column is not where it should be and appears at the bottom left and may mess up the comments.

I’ve asked Kacper Tylenda to look into the problem (that I caused) – so hopefully it will be fixed soon – sorry for the inconvenience.

There are no problems on smaller screens like cell phones and the like.

• RobLeenio

Mar 7, 2018 at 4:24 PM

It’s an interesting match-up this one vs Saints – very much the master vs the apprentice. Pellegrino and Benitex go back all the way to Rafa’s time at Valencia where he coached Pellegrino, then he brought him in to play at Liverpool and once Pellegrino retired, he joined Rafa’s staff at Liverpool and Inter before striking out on his own. He’s adopted Rafa’s coaching philosophy, build the team from the back, attack on the break. I think the match will be a low-scoring, chess match which could easily end in a draw.

• Jail for Ashley

Mar 7, 2018 at 4:29 PM

We should have beat them down there, I think our poor form started not long after that.

• ronaldo aarons

Mar 7, 2018 at 4:35 PM

This morning I saw your post about mitrovic in the champions league. Was about to leave for work so only linked goals to YouTube, not playing ‘YouTube games’ as I think you put it. You were talking about his exploits in the champions league and only mentioned a goal v Olympiacos, obviously trying to down play him. I just posted links to goals v arsenal and Dortmund in the same competition. I’m pretty sure you knew of this before you posted but for some reason failed to mention it.

• GeordieTwo

Mar 7, 2018 at 4:36 PM

This space is very small.

• Jib

Mar 7, 2018 at 4:38 PM

ronaldo Aarons

• GeordieTwo

Mar 7, 2018 at 4:39 PM

My comments show up as one word vertical columns on my screen. Is anyone else experiencing that?

• RobLeenio

Mar 7, 2018 at 4:40 PM

Jail, you may be right. Since then they’ve lost van Dyke which is a blow to them, plus home advantage should help, but I’m prepared for the draw, though I’ll be ecstatic with a win. They’ll be looking to frustrate and defend and recently, we’ve found teams who do that hard to break down, last season as well as this. If we can score early, get the crowd onside and puncture their confidence, a win will be more likely

• GeordieTwo

Mar 7, 2018 at 4:41 PM

We’ve said this before but this is a must win. We’re running out of chances. A loss might be the end of us. Best of luck lads.

• RobLeenio

Mar 7, 2018 at 4:42 PM

Lol, G2 – apparently it’s an issue with some browsers but not others, Chrome seems fine. The layout on my tablet is a little screwy, too – have to use it in landscape mode

• Lindisfarne

Mar 7, 2018 at 4:43 PM

Ed Harrison

There is a problem on smaller appliances, a couple of us have mentioned that the comments are running down the right hand side of the article. User names are displayed vertically and the comment text is shown one word per line.