Newcastle Midfielder – We’re One Step Closer To Safety

Ayoze Perez has had a good season for Newcastle although he would hope he had more goals than the 4 goals he’s scored in 29 total appearances with 21 starts.

Perez has played in the number 10 role quite a bit this season, and he has a good game last Saturday in the crucial 3-0 win over fellow relegation strugglers Southampton.

Tha Saints became the ninth Premier League to sack their manager this season when they announced that Mauricio Pellegrino was no longer with them.

So that’s almost half the PL managers sacked this season with half the teams fighting relegation.

We found out after the game that Ayoze Perez played on Saturday even though he lost his grandmother last Wednesday.

Ayoze Perez – works his socks off when he plays for Newcastle

Newcastle’s second goal was a terrific team goal that Ayoze brilliantly set up.

Perez got the ball just outside the penalty area following a corner for the Saints, and he ran past the halfway line and then laid the ball off to his right to Gayle.

Dwight could have shot himself, but he saw Kenedy running through on the left-hand side.

He slotted the ball to him, and the Brazilian tapped the ball into the back of the net.

A brilliant team goal from Perez, Gayle, and Kenedy working so well together.

You could tell they must do that drill a lot in training and it paid off big time on Saturday.

What’s been a feature of Perez’ play this seaosn is that he works his socks off for the team.

This is what Ayoze has told the Chronicle today:

“The second goal came at a good time for us and the counter-attack was brilliant in terms of great movement.”

“Everything went well.” “It was a great finish which gave us a lot of confidence.”

“To go in at 2-0 up in the first half is something important.” “It’s important in this league and we kept it up in the second half.”

“It was a massive win for us and three important points.” “I’m really happy and the dressing room knew the importance of the result.”

“We did really well and we are one step closer.”

“I’m happy to help others.” “That’s the role of a forward, sometimes you will score, others you will contribute in other ways.”

“That is what the manager wants from me.” “He wants me to be a link between the lines to try to help the wingers and to help Dwight.”

“That’s what I am trying to do.” “It was a great win for me and everybody else was happy.”

“He’s (Rafa) been here a while now and we are always working.” “He makes sure that everybody understands that’s the way it is.”

“The game against Southampton was the proof.” “We did everything right in that game and we got that solid performance.”

What Ayoze is saying is that Rafa knows exactly what he is doing and the players only have to follow the script (game-plan), and we will start winning more games.

We have 32 points from our 30 games played, and we need three more wins to be safe and over 40 points

PosTeamGamesGDPoints
8Everton38-1449
9Leicester38-447
10Newcastle38-844
11Crystal Palace38-1044
12Bournemouth38-1644
13West Ham38-2042

Howay The Lads!!

• ronaldo aarons

Mar 13, 2018 at 4:00 PM

Good player, hardly played in his natural position as striker. He’s not a midfielder or a #10.

• Munster Mag

Mar 13, 2018 at 4:01 PM

Jail ,any reply from him? Tbf I didn’t see a whole lot wrong with the article. Of course it may be all conjecture but rafa is smart and us close to Hardy so he (rafa) may be communicating to the fans that this may be the new reality.

• Lee Charnley Bunga Party

Mar 13, 2018 at 4:06 PM

I like Perez you can see his overall game has improved especially where he needs to be on the pitch when we don’t have the ball. He is still gets knocked over a lot but he keeps on fighting for 90 minutes!

I think he would benefit greatly from having a fully fit Slimani ahead of him to hold the ball up so he can flick passes and do little 1 – 2s with!

He seems to get better as seasons go on last season in the championship was the same he started poorly and then scored quite a lot of crucial goals by the end of the season

• ronaldo aarons

Mar 13, 2018 at 4:11 PM

Mike Williamson previous thread
    Is Anderson talisca on that list?

• Jail for Ashley

Mar 13, 2018 at 4:19 PM

Munster,
    To suggest that Ashleys frugality has been done for the good of the club is like suggesting Thatchers closing of the pits was done for the benefit of the miners health. We’ve been relegated twice because of it, been in twice that relegation battles, had our worst ever losing streak, lost more times to the mackems in three years than we did in the last forty and never made it past the fourth round of the FA cup.

• Charlie in the Gallowgate

Mar 13, 2018 at 4:21 PM

Watching the game on Saturday looked like RAFA moved Kenedy up alongside or just behind Gayle and played Perez as a midfield player using his stamina to link up attack midfield and get in and about their defenders. A lot of his work goes unnoticed but needs to be a bit stronger in the tackle and when he gets the ball

• Jail for Ashley

Mar 13, 2018 at 4:32 PM

No Munster, he hasn’t replied.

• estechco

Mar 13, 2018 at 4:45 PM

“We must beat Huddersfield at home on 31st March and then we should only need two wins in our final seven games.”

…if we can beat Huddersfield, I strongly suspect 1 win or even a couple draws would be enough to keep us up ( especially given our goal difference). The bottom cluster (3 of those 4 teams) won’t get above 38, no chance!

• martoon

Mar 13, 2018 at 4:59 PM

I like Perez but understand why he frustrates people. He has definitely cut down on his tricks and flicks and added hard work to his game – presumably Rafa’s influence?

• RobLeenio

Mar 13, 2018 at 5:01 PM

estecho, Ed’s looking at 40 points as the safety mark as that’s what is generally bandied around. It’s a hangover from when the Prem was made up of 22 teams, it’s very rarely that many needed now. You’re absolutely right that the bottom three and a couple of others will struggle to get over 38 points, meaning we need 6 points. Probably only 5.

• Bobbybee

Mar 13, 2018 at 5:05 PM

I reckon if we beat Huddersfield in two weeks time we’ll be safe. We’ve got West Brom as a back up and the other points will come as they come. If needed, that is. 40 will be well safe imo.
    West Brom and Soton are already gone, unless this new manager can perform miracles. As Mark Hughes is currently favourite for the job I can’t see that happening.
    Wins against those two gives us a minimum of 38 points – then there’s Chelsea of course. 🙂 Too early to get complacent but safety is in our own hands for sure

• martoon

Mar 13, 2018 at 5:12 PM

We were relegated with 37 points so I think we definitely need to pass that to be sure.

• Ron Knee

Mar 13, 2018 at 5:12 PM

“Sean Spicer@seanspicer

“Secretary Tillerson is a true patriot that has severed our nation well. Thank you for serving. Mike Pompeo will be an outstanding Secretary of State – the Senate should act swiftly to confirm him.”

Great typo!

• Bobbybee

Mar 13, 2018 at 5:13 PM

On Kenedy, I simply can’t see him wanting to go back to Chelsea’s bench or U23’s. He’s experienced life in the first team now and appears to be loving it. Sat on a bench or treated like a hero by 50k fans? £15m seems like a bargain imo and most definitely a no brainer. Would you go back to being just another number, or stay where you know you’re wanted?
    He’s not even fit yet ffs and looks the biz. Imagine what he’ll be like next season following a full pre season? Get him bought now before he improves beyond our means.

• Bobbybee

Mar 13, 2018 at 5:17 PM

Mart, I think West Ham went down on 40 once mate, but each season is different. Wins against two very poor teams will give us 38 and this season that should be enough imo. Time will tell, but if we need more, I’m confident we’ll get them. 🙂 Like I say, Chelsea don’t revel in coming here and our confidence is pretty high right now.

• RobLeenio

Mar 13, 2018 at 5:19 PM

Martoon, 37 points has been enough in 68% of Premier League seasons. We were unlucky that year. However, I’d like us to kick on from here and get over the 40 point mark. I think we’re capable of doing it and we won’t have the nightmare of yet another final day of the season needing a result to stay up.

• Munster Mag

Mar 13, 2018 at 5:19 PM

Jail his frugality hasn’t been good in the short term but if he releases proper funds (big if) in the summer then I can live with him . When football gets a short sharp shock in the future we will be looking at a club with balanced books, a very decent ( world class is stretching it) manager and hopefully a healthier u23 set up. That could be worse. I don’t think he is too worried about giving rafa decent bucks provided we don’t overstretch. This year funds were tighter but next season will be better. It will be a litmus test.

• RobLeenio

Mar 13, 2018 at 5:22 PM

Bobby, if I was a talented young footballer who wanted game time to advance my career, I’d leap at the chance to stay up here. However, if I was a talented young footballer who wanted to hang out in one of the most glamorous cities in the World, I’d probably choose to go back to Chelsea.

It seems like Kenedy is a sensible fella, but who knows what he’s thinking?

• The next Mike Williamson

Mar 13, 2018 at 5:23 PM

I don’t know who Anderson Talisca is, but he’s rated in the top 20 – below a 37 year old Emre. These stat websites seem to under value defensive players.

• Munster Mag

Mar 13, 2018 at 5:26 PM

Bobby I think we can go on a bit of a run actually and end up mid table. Lad to see ur boy doing well at blackburn

• Bobbybee

Mar 13, 2018 at 5:26 PM

Munster, just curious, but what does he need to do to become world class matey? He’s won shit loads of trophies after all.
    He’s also took a Championship squad and in less than a season turned them into a PL squad. How many other ‘world class’ managers would have even tried? They all rely on money and ready made stars, snatched from other clubs for silly money. All about opinions obviously, but he’s world class in my house. 🙂

• Munster Mag

Mar 13, 2018 at 5:26 PM

Glad not lad

• Munster Mag

Mar 13, 2018 at 5:29 PM

Bobby would the top teams in the world come in for him? The top teams in England? That’s world class. I wind Jail up about him but I do respect him hugely. And Jail is grand too . Sure i bought hom a virtual pint when we beat man u. He’s conservative but it’s working. I just hope fats gives him a proper fighting fund.

• Bobbybee

Mar 13, 2018 at 5:33 PM

Munster, it’s because he’s being played as a striker mate and Tony Mowbray knows exactly how to play him. Did you see his first at the weekend? Beauty. Top corner volley. Provide him with chances and the goals flow. Just pick out his runs and the goals flow. I reckon he’d do it in our team with Shelvey feeding him nay bother. A striker’s as good as the service he gets and he’s getting the right service. His finishing does the rest.

• Munster Mag

Mar 13, 2018 at 5:37 PM

Bobby in fairness more than half our team s beyond championship level. I’m not denigrating rafa here but lascelles lejeune shelvey merino dummett atsu Gayle Perez cud all claim to be better than championship to say nothing of the new loans. But agree for Sure, rafa is improving them and has certainly improved our morale cohesion intelligence and injury rate. Impressive for sure.

• Bobbybee

Mar 13, 2018 at 5:39 PM

Considering his last job was Real Madrid then yeah, they would. 🙂 Let’s not mess about, Zidane was a political appointment – as is every Real decision – and one they may be regretting even now. He’ll be gone next season imo.
    Like I say, all about opinions but his cv speaks for itself. What he’s done for us is bordering on miraculous and sadly will go under the radar of many people.
    I hope he gets backed next season or we’ll lose him for sure.

• Munster Mag

Mar 13, 2018 at 5:39 PM

I’m not sure rafa fancies him Bobby. If he was a foot taller yes.. …does he fit the 4231 template? I love his style though

• Munster Mag

Mar 13, 2018 at 5:43 PM

Bobby he never suited Real. Wud arsenal want him or ancelloti? Bayern? Juve? Im possibly being unfair here. Its a mute point but we are dating waay above our standing anyway 🙂

• Munster Mag

Mar 13, 2018 at 5:44 PM

Bobby they didnt regret zizu last season!!

• Bobbybee

Mar 13, 2018 at 5:44 PM

It’s difficult to bring an entire squad through like he has though. Those players who are now comfortable in the PL, certainly weren’t earlier this season. Every one of them gives tribute to Rafa for improving them as players and clearly they’d run through be brick walls for him. All that has to be taken into consideration. A remarkable job imo.

• Munster Mag

Mar 13, 2018 at 5:46 PM

I better shut up now or jail will say i hate rafa. Im just discussing that’s all. Way out of our league . Possibly not as good as Charva though

• dig-n-dig22

Mar 13, 2018 at 5:47 PM

estechco #8

If we beat Hudders on 31st it takes the preasure off and I think we could get a lot more points than we require for safety.I think C Pal could do us a big favour by beating Hudders at the weekend, that would put more pressure on them when they play us. I still think Hudders will get sucked back in with their run in. We will be safe with 38 pts but 40 is usually the target. I think we could finish in the mid 40s if we beat Hudders. I fancy C Pal to avoid the drop and I fancy Hudders to fill one of the relegation places.

• Munster Mag

Mar 13, 2018 at 5:49 PM

That’s probably fair too but I could see most of our guys in other middling prem teams. Maybe that’s because of innate ability but as you say maybe he has improved them beyond recognition individually. That’s very possible.

• Bobbybee

Mar 13, 2018 at 5:51 PM

You could argue he had Rafa’s team last season though. This season hasn’t been brilliant for them has it? Serves them right.
    Still, their loss was our gain and he’s the best we, could hope for by a distance.
    Not sure Rafa doesn’t fancy Arma though. He’s on loan to give him first team experience and has repeatedly said he’s a great prospect. You can’t ignore the quality of his goalscoring though. Just the confidence to even try some of those shots speaks volumes. Still only just turned 21, plenty time yet. If he keeps banging them in he should get a chance. Then it’s down to him innit?

• Bambams

Mar 13, 2018 at 6:20 PM

I just had a little look at the Championship table and didn’t realise the Mackems are 8 points behind 5th bottom !

I thought it was tighter down there and more clubs closer.

I will be hoping Barnsley win tonight……

• Stewin' Toon

Mar 13, 2018 at 6:38 PM

I like Perez as a player a lot, but he isn’t playing his natural position at the 10. Rafa seems to like him because he works hard defensively, but you’ve gotta think that assuming we stay up, that’s a position Rafa will look to strengthen.

• Jib

Mar 13, 2018 at 6:42 PM

• sing in the corner

Mar 13, 2018 at 6:43 PM

Have to say I don’t want to see the makems go down to L1.
    Although it’s pretty funny to see them struggle, it would be a shocker for them to go under, which is what I think they could very well do if they go down now.
    Rich history of rivalry at stake here lads, Derby games since I was a little kid that I will never forget. I don’t want to lose that!

• ronaldo aarons

Mar 13, 2018 at 7:02 PM

Next Mike Williamson
    He’s not a defensive player but yeah these stat websites are flawed. If you watch him he is a very good player, easily one of the best currently playing in Turkey.

• Bambams

Mar 13, 2018 at 7:10 PM

SITC

I hear you and do not want them to fold…..but I wouldn’t be upset to see them drop this season.

They could always come back up the following season then a few years of mediocrity in the Championship…..

Just sayin