Rafa Talks About What It Will Take To Be Safe

Rafa Benitez has been interviewed by Sky Sports with Newcastle on a four-day winter break in Murcia, Spain.

As we write this, there are four Premier League games taking place that will have some impact on the bottom places in the league. table.

Hopefully, they will go for us today.

Newcastle are not playing this weekend in the Premier League because Spurs, who we were initially to play yesterday, are involved in the 6th round of the FA Cup.

They, in fact, beat Swansea 3-0 in south Wales this afternoon.

Rafa Benitez – in sunny Spain with Newcastle squad

Rafa was asked on Sky Sports how many points it would take to be safe in the Premier League this season:

“I would say around 40 but maybe it could be less. I think 40 is the minimum, the guarantee to stay up.”

“It is always important to have players competing in the same position and when they do well they push the others to do well at the same time.”

“It is always a positive for the atmosphere and especially when you are winning.”

However, Benitez is reluctant to talk up the chances of keeping them both on a long-term basis.

“It is too soon to talk about that (keeping Dubravka and Kenedy permanently).”

“It is always very difficult. They were doing really well for us – that is the main thing for me,” Benitez said.

“The manager decides his team, there a lot of players in England that can be good and then it is about his decision.

“I am happy to keep my players with this club. I told them they are still young players, they have plenty of time [ahead] so they have to keep progressing and I am sure they will have a chance.”

“People are talking about if he has this clause or the other one has a clause, so we have to try and enjoy them while they are here and if we can do something in the future we will think about that.”

“The main thing is to make sure they are happy the job they are doing and enjoying the time they will be here.”

“We have very important games in a few weeks so if they (Lascelles ns Shelvey) don’t go with England, they don’t take any risks and it can be positive for us,”

“But I don’t say that it is right because if they go they will have the extra motivation to go with their national team.”

“I am happy with the situation now and hopefully, they can concentrate up to the end of the season and be crucial for us.”

Rafa’s been saying 40 points for a while now, and we are 8 points short on 32 points with 8 games to play.

Newcastle have a friendly game with Royal Antwerp tomorrow, and Rafa is hoping the team is indeed improving as he has forecast all season.

With Rafa’s tutelage and vast experience coupled with our younger players gaining some experience in the Premier League, it does look like we are a better side than started the season.

We hope that’s the case.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Mar 17, 2018 at 4:26 PM

Lascelles in an interview from the training camp was quite disappointed at not getting an England call up but he is a young lad still and I reckon his time will come.

Rafa is right to be happy that he and Shelvey weren’t selected for the England squad.

• H.Houdini

Mar 17, 2018 at 4:32 PM

Let’s all laugh at Sunlun

• Essex Geordie Bill

Mar 17, 2018 at 4:34 PM

From previous thread, I’d picked Hayden to be POS as I really thought he’d step up, still as with Lascelles he’s got time.

And that horrible Martoon wouldn’t let me change my pick just because the seasons nearly over. 😛

• Online Guy

Mar 17, 2018 at 4:50 PM

A Pain in the blog

I need you to understand that when you were moderated it was Ed who thought it was the right thing to do as you had abused someone ..

You say Ed had looked at it again and seen nothing wrong with the offending post..that’s got to be a bending of the facts from you as Ed did see something wrong in the first place and took action.

Ed’s call.. I don’t make that decision. I cannot moderate you

I knew you had been away a while .. when you came back I welcomed you back..sort of my way of extending the olive branch. And forgiving.

You keep repeating the words that you got your self inflicted moderation for ..a crafty way of getting it out there as often as you can.

This is going on and on now as you keep baiting me up and repeating the offensive abuse .

You need to stop this now and we can move on ..I want to get back to talking football but cannot because I find myself having to answering you and your slurs and you bending of the truth .

Iv never know anybody WHINGE so much about being moderated.

Stop looking for someone else to blame ..It was your own words that got you moderated

You wrote them

Ed took action .

Recently Ed said he’s not putting up with the abuse of others anymore ..it will be a ban and you won’t get back on .

You say your going to keep on repeating your (WHINGING) post to me and the offensive words you used to me .. if you do that I will keep on repeating mine from yesterday and today.

I think you owe me an apology ..I don’t want one but morally you should think about it.

If you try and understand all I was involved in was standing up for what’s decent .

Where’s the rock n roll in ya ?

If you keep on repeating yourself and having digs ad nauseum…I will do the very same.

Trying to make me bite with some disgusting abuse is never going to work here .

I won’t stoop to your Level.

• JP...from The Rock

Mar 17, 2018 at 4:53 PM

We could go for Stanislas of Bournemouth. Always impresses. Another great goal by him.

• dig-n-dig22

Mar 17, 2018 at 4:55 PM

Good results for us today .Lots of pressure on Hudders now, If we beat Hudders next game, that means only 1pt in 9, they are back in the mix.

• Jib

Mar 17, 2018 at 4:55 PM

England beaten fair and square by a much superior
    Irish team

• Online Guy

Mar 17, 2018 at 4:59 PM

Birmingham …cm on!

• Jib

Mar 17, 2018 at 5:00 PM

Online Guy
    You don’t deny you e-mailed Ed
    which is the whole point
    You are a snivelling tooting cry baby
    end of
    you have posted dozens of words
    none of which have been footy related

please get lost

• Online Guy

Mar 17, 2018 at 5:03 PM

Sunderland Marooned !,,,! Was hoping for a Barnsley win but Brum have an almost unasailable gap between 4th borrim and Mackems…hoo hoo . Now to listen to the WHINGING on BBC radio Newcastle ..check out the phone in on line .

• Online Guy

Mar 17, 2018 at 5:05 PM

Jib , Iv never said I emailed Ed..ha ha ..your at it …good one Jib .

Mischief.

Fwiw…I never did mate ..Love you Jib. Xx

• Ron Knee

Mar 17, 2018 at 5:07 PM

Live stream

Newcastle United will endeavour to show the match online, subject to a satisfactory connection at Pinatar Arena.

Further information will be shown at http://www.nufc.co.uk and on the club’s social media channels in due course.

• Ron Knee

Mar 17, 2018 at 5:08 PM

The Magpies will take on the Belgian side at the 3,500-capacity Pinatar Arena near Murcia, with kick-off set for 12pm local time (11am UK).

• RobLeenio

Mar 17, 2018 at 5:25 PM

Ron good news. Not sure I’ll be able to watch it live but if they’re streaming maybe it’ll be available online later too