Bad News – Rafa’s Communication With Ashley Is Still Poor

There’s a good piece in the Times today from George Caulkin that discusses Rafa Benitez contract situation at Newcastle.

And we thought Rafa now had a direct line into Mike Ashley, but that doesn’t seem to be the case.

And that’s not good news.

Rafa was asked if he had enjoyed this season and he was candid in saying no – but that he was pleased with the work he has done at Newcastle this season.

Rafa’s contract runs out in June next year, and Mike Ashley will try to get him to sign a new deal in the summer.

Mike Ashley, Rafa Benitez and Lee Charnley last May

But it seems in the Times report that Rafa finds it both stressful and difficult to work for a man like Ashley; you never know what the owner’s going to do next.

And Ashley makes some weird decisions like bringing up in mid-January that he wanted to talk to Rafa about a contract extension.

All Rafa wanted to do was to sign some good players that month so that Newcastle had a decent chance to survive in the Premier League.

This is what Rafa has said about his contract, and it’s sad his communication with Ashley has not been sustained from January:

“It is not a priority.” “No,” “The main thing is Huddersfield. The job is not done.”

“Our talking in January was fine, but I have contact with Lee. He’s the link.”

We were hoping that he has a direct line into Mike Ashley as recently reported in the Independent, but that doesn’t seem to be the case according to the Times.

So Ashley remains a big problem for Newcastle United, and it seems for Rafa too.

What do you think?

• Tsunki

Mar 20, 2018 at 9:35 AM

I’m telling you man, fingers of one hand. Ashley will have had a catch up general chit chat bit left it to Charnley to lay out the T’s & C’s. The big guy doesn’t stoop to fraternising with the staff.

• Tsunki

Mar 20, 2018 at 9:37 AM

He don’t go giving pep talks to the bog brush about how well he scrubbed the pot. You get the gist.

• lesh

Mar 20, 2018 at 9:47 AM

For what it’s worth, I agree with Tsunki in that leopards don’t change their spots and the only positive change we’ll see in Ashley is when he sells the club and slings his hook.

There you go Jib, now you can have a snipe at me for playing the same old record.

• one fine day

Mar 20, 2018 at 9:50 AM

Tzunki,
    Easy with the toilet humour …kids read the blog man …?

• one fine day

Mar 20, 2018 at 9:50 AM

.? Is meant to be crying laughter emoji Btw

• scout

Mar 20, 2018 at 10:06 AM

Don’t believe anyone who says Benitez doesn’t talk to Ashley.

• hibbit

Mar 20, 2018 at 10:11 AM

scout
    why would that be ??????????

• Geordie-john

Mar 20, 2018 at 10:17 AM

Rafa get an undercover job at his big warehouse doon the country and you will probably have more of a chance to meet Fatman

• Jib

Mar 20, 2018 at 10:29 AM

I think it’s pretty rare for managers to be in
    contact with owners , that’s why all PL clubs
    have CEO’s.
    There really is no need to look for stuff to fret
    about.
    Although I guess it sells papers and gets hits

• dig-n-dig22

Mar 20, 2018 at 10:35 AM

I think if Rafa negotiates a new contract then it will have a big fat get out clause in it involving Ashley’s funding for transfers. I think Rafa will reserve the right to Walk after the first one or two windows If Ashley fails to provide agreed funds for transfers. It’s not difficult to read between the lines, Rafa want’s to move on, with or without the club.

• lesh

Mar 20, 2018 at 11:00 AM

Jib

CEOs generally have the authority to make business critical decisions and an owner who’s happy to delegate that authority – within the constraints of an agreed business plan with which key players (eg Rafa) are fully informed and agreeable to.

Now tell us please where Ashley’s methods sit in comparison to well run businesses.

• Jib

Mar 20, 2018 at 11:20 AM

lesh
    You’ve done it again ffs

We were talking about Ashley
    communicating with Rafa.

It’s the whole tenor of this article

Off you go on your pompous irrelevant
    tangent to do a bit of point scoring
    It’s very tedious

• bettyswallocks

Mar 20, 2018 at 11:22 AM

Tsunki………… About this meeting / showdown between Jib and Online Guy at The Gunn Inn on Friday. It appears that you are familiar with the establishment being suggested for the meeting so your input will be useful.

My suggestion is that we gather a few willing blog members to go along and provide some back up for Jib should things turn nasty or get out of hand. Or indeed if it is intended as a man to man reckoning at least we can ensure he gets fair play. There is something very strange about this Online individual that makes me uncomfortable and although Jib has his issues I would hate to see any harm come to the old boy.

• Toonces

Mar 20, 2018 at 11:27 AM

Jib – not sure I agree that Rafa as the active manager of the club should be part of ownership. Not that I don’t want to see Rafa have a long and successful time at Newcastle – but a manager needs to manage and be accountable to the ownership for performance. Even his career at Liverpool only lasted 7 years or so. But I also acknowledge that Ashley is a different kind of owner (incompetent and negative) and as the club’s supporters I think we have a degree of insecurity because of Ashley and fear he will drive Rafa away. We want to find ways for Rafa to be here as long as possible in spite of Ashley’s interference, but in general terms, not sure him having ownership as manager is the ideal way. But at Newcastle, it is a long time since we can even think of having something ideal! HWTL!

• Jib

Mar 20, 2018 at 11:30 AM

I don’t know whether to turn up as
    Jane
    A Pain in the blog
    or Jeff from benwell

• Jail for Ashley

Mar 20, 2018 at 11:31 AM

I’m not sure how it’s going to work, Ashleys written assurances mean nothing if it involves Rafa having to walk and break his contract and he doesn’t want to do that.

• Jail for Ashley

Mar 20, 2018 at 11:32 AM

A pain in the blog is definitely the most pleasant of the three the other two were ‘orrible!

• bettyswallocks

Mar 20, 2018 at 11:34 AM

Any blog members interested in joining the delegation on Friday please contact Tsunki as he will be coordinating the trip.

• dig-n-dig22

Mar 20, 2018 at 11:45 AM

Jib 15
    Just turn up as The Scarlet Pimp.

• Online Guy

Mar 20, 2018 at 11:49 AM

Betty

Shut your gob , you daft sod. Jib is not invited. He’s never going to make the guest list .

• RobLeenio

Mar 20, 2018 at 11:50 AM

I seem to remember Hibbit being called out to some pub in the West End by Bladeuser(?). Not sure that kind of behaviour is very mature or very effective – how would you recognise someone as they walked in the pub anyway? I imagine Jib doesn;t wander round with his name tattooed on his forehead.

• Online Guy

Mar 20, 2018 at 11:51 AM

Jib , youv got a brass neck .

Ace trouble maker

You shot yer self in the foot last night answering a question under the wrong name ! Hilarious and caught bang to rights .

• Online Guy

Mar 20, 2018 at 11:53 AM

Can anyone tell me how many names Jib operates under ..I know of three .

• Online Guy

Mar 20, 2018 at 11:56 AM

Jib , if you do pop in for a pint , could you come as Jane and wear a Dress ?

I see you as very fetching in a Dress. Ooh Matron .

• Jib

Mar 20, 2018 at 11:56 AM

They seek him here, they seek him there.
    Those Mackems seek him everywhere!
    Is he hard? or Is he limp?
    That damned elusive Scarlet Pimp!

• RobLeenio

Mar 20, 2018 at 11:57 AM

It’s an interesting one, this upcoming contract negotiation. There’s still a full year till the existing contract runs out, so Rafa isn’t in immediate danger of walking. He has plenty of time to bring Ashley round to his way of thinking and write in the clauses he wants before signing – the ‘reset’ button I’ve mentioned before.

That time lag works both ways, however. The fat man also has plenty of time to try to discredit Rafa, making him less of a figurehead for the fans and manipulating us to a point where we are less bothered when Rafa’s contract runs out and he walks away to be replaced by Ashley’s new stooge.

I think the latter scenario is less likely, Rafa is in a very strong position, but it could be in the back of the chubby one’s mind.

• Online Guy

Mar 20, 2018 at 12:10 PM

Can we stick to Football today .

enough of answering Jibs multiple user names.

I liked the Minerva Supreme

I even bought a size four off of Willie Maddirun for the sons . Can’t spell Willie’s surname.

• RobLeenio

Mar 20, 2018 at 12:11 PM

Online Guy, I’m not sure you can use the phrase “If I was to think about it” as proof of anything, it’s a pretty generic phrase as it goes. Essentially you’re saying that because you both put the word “think” in your posts, then they must have been related, rather than just being a coincidence when the latter is more likely. Just saying.

• Online Guy

Mar 20, 2018 at 12:13 PM

Jail

Do you know of any other names Jib operates under

Just sos I can avoid answering or talking with him in future. Ta.

• dig-n-dig22

Mar 20, 2018 at 12:15 PM

Jail #16
    I agree that an Ashley contract is nothing more than @r$e wipe but Rafa would be free to walk during the first window without breaking his contract if Ashley didn’t produce the goods.
    IMO I think Ashley will sell as soon as he can, hopefully we will know more if and when we are safe but he can forget it if he tries stripping out the furniture first, he will have to leave some meat on the bones..

• Tsunki

Mar 20, 2018 at 12:16 PM

Sorry to disappoint but my familiarity with the Gun Inn hostelry is only as good as it’s Facebook page where i scrolled down to a bash ohoto shoot in which some regulars were tagged. I made a basic mistake though. I omitted the women. 😉

• martoon

Mar 20, 2018 at 12:17 PM

I seem to remember before Rafa signed for us his legal team were locked in negotiations with Ashley’s in what we thought were to insert clauses to prevent the kind of recent shenanigans over transfers etc. Looks like Ashley’s team outsmarted Rafa’s!

• Online Guy

Mar 20, 2018 at 12:18 PM

Rob , it was in answer to my post…if you look back its apparent…no matter I’m not fussed ..

I don’t mind bieng accused of being someone with multiple names but when your accuser is at it himself it’s a bit rich.

Anyway ,, end of the matter .

Multiples ..bahhhh! They are a Joke ..they scew debate at best. BTW..good afternoon Rob.

• Tsunki

Mar 20, 2018 at 12:19 PM

So no I can’t get you into the karaoke evening or the curry night sorry.

It was the New Year bash btw so online is bound to be one of those dudes ha ha. Not much to worry about unless they all pile on top of you and suffocate you jib

• Mag :P

Mar 20, 2018 at 12:19 PM

Is anyone else surprised that Alfie Mawson and Lewis Cook have been called up over Lascelles and Shelvey?

I swear players in our club get overlooked because well… It’s us.

• Online Guy

Mar 20, 2018 at 12:20 PM

Skew

• Mag :P

Mar 20, 2018 at 12:21 PM

Especially Lascelles though, he’s made a huge difference to our form whenever he has played.

He’s our most important player in my opinion.

• dig-n-dig22

Mar 20, 2018 at 12:21 PM

Jib 25

very funny LOL.

• Online Guy

Mar 20, 2018 at 12:22 PM

Tsunki, I wasn’t there ..New year I was elsewhere.

• Online Guy

Mar 20, 2018 at 12:25 PM

Like Sir Bob said of Barcelona ..ìts a Madhouse.

Jib answering himself as Jane is crazy.. arguing with himself ! Nutter.