Lascelles – The Club Is Stable – Pleads For Hierarchy To Keep Rafa At The Club

There’s a healthy relationship between Jamaal  Lascelles, the Newcastle United captain, and Rafa Benitez, our world-class manager.

And Jamaal has been interviewed in the Telegraph today, and he wants the club to do everything possible to keep manager Rafa Benitez on board.

The relationship between Rafa and Mike Ashley is reported to have become strained due to the manager not having been fully supported in the last three transfer windows.

Rafa has had an average at best Newcastle team who are Champions (second division) class according to some pundits such as Jamie Carragher and Alan Shearer to name two.

Rafa Benitez congratulates Jamaal Lascelles

Jamaal has turned out to be both an excellent player and captain for Newcastle, and it’s in that capacity that he has said this in the Telegraph today about his manager:

“It does feel like a stable club at the minute,”

“We’ve got a manager who trusts us and he wants to be here, the fans are with him, so that’s really important for the players.”

“Now that the stuff with the owner and the takeover has died down, that helps. Whether it was going to happen or it wasn’t going to happen, it is less to think about as a player.”

“We now know we are in a stable environment at a stable club. You might not really think about it much, but it [the takeover stuff] probably did have an effect on some individuals.”

“Of course, as a player you don’t want to be in a team where there is loads of paper talk about stuff not related to us.”

“You don’t want anything negative coming out. Everything is running smooth now, everything is positive and I think it’s just down to us to make sure we keep the fans happy.”

“I think for a while now that the best thing that this club has done is brought the manager in. Since he has been here things have been on the up.”

“He has brought the club together and the city together. I think it’s important that the club keeps him happy and holds on to him for as long as possible.”

“He is an excellent manager, he has won trophies, he has worked in many different leagues and he knows what it takes to be successful.”

“It has only been positive since he arrived.”

Those are sensible comments from Jamaal and what most fans would say.

But it remains to be seen what Mike Ashley will do this summer – he’s always the big unknown.

The positive thing is we know Ashley wants (and needs) to keep Rafa Benitez at the club.

What do you think?

How Will Newcastle Fare Against Huddersfield?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• Hail Wor Ashley

Mar 29, 2018 at 12:12 PM

Just had a word with SkyBet on Twitter because they didn’t have Mitro in their Golden Boot market for the WC. They had the likes of Defoe, Iwobi and Fellaini in the 100/250-1 range and not a ST in good form and guaranteed to start even listed!

5 mins later they get back to me and say he’s now on as requested – a massive 150-1! Not an habitual gambler, just for big events and one-offs, but at that price and with Serbia’s group there’s no way I’m passing up a £10EW punt to add a little bit of side interest and excitement to the tournament.

Howay Mitro! 3 or 4 against Costa Rica and Switzerland is well within your ability – then who knows!

• The next Mike Williamson

Mar 29, 2018 at 12:14 PM

@Jib
    Atsu is 26. For his type of player, that is ancient. One good thing is he’s barely played so maybe his legs will keep him going for a few more years yet.

I think our only realistic prospects in reserves are: Woodman, Armstrong, & Longstaff. I expect Rafa will hand a few of them games in pre-season, even the likes of Gilliead & Toney.

• RobLeenio

Mar 29, 2018 at 12:32 PM

Nice to see the Skipper is in agreement with the fans, largely. It’s worth assuming that if he thinks this way about Rafa, then at least a decent percentage of the team do too. Squad unity is a vital component of a successful club and we seem to have it.

Contrast this with what is happening at West Ham – we’re looking up, they are most certainly looking down at present.

• Lindisfarne

Mar 29, 2018 at 12:43 PM

Was it not a teegraph report that cause a club source to deny any club buy out was on the cards?

I do not believe Luke Edwards can claim any inside knowledge of what is going on at NUFC.

• Oldgit1

Mar 29, 2018 at 12:53 PM

@ Jib re Arrons, how long can a manager persist with a player who has so many injuries before saying enough is enough. Although feeling sorry for the lad for being unlucky he should be either be let go of, or let his contract run down.
    I do believe he recently signed a new 3 year contract.
    He showed some promise but think with Kenedy and Murphy we have enough cover.

Just to confirm I will be officially an oldgit on Sat when we play Huddersfield. I will be 70. A win will be the best birthday present I could receive. Fingers crossed.

• c-dog

Mar 29, 2018 at 1:36 PM

The money is there. £100M is not unrealistic given the austerity the club has been governed by over the last decade. But where it does become unrealistic is when you mention who our owner is. I’m convinced the money won’t be given and Rafa will leave. I hope not but how could anyone be convinced of anything else given that we are a club owned by Miserable Mike Ashley.

• martoon

Mar 29, 2018 at 2:03 PM

Happy birthday Oldgit1 – I know how you feel – I recently reached the 60 milestone 🙂

• lesh

Mar 29, 2018 at 2:22 PM

Jiblets

I’m presuming you pay money to access the Torygraph? You must be a desperate sod and we can only hope you washed your hands before posting the link to the Lascelles/ Rafa story. Oh, it’s in the Chronic at no charge!

C-dog

You can forget anything like £100m being available for transfers. Combine Ashley’s record of tight-fistedness with the likelihood that he wants to sell the club and thus show a healthy surplus in the accounts enabling him to ask for more than the £300m it was rumoured he’d accept.

He’s a greedy git who cares nowt for the club’s development, Rafa or the fans so we can expect a repeat of past years’ austerity leading to yet more freeking grief!

Come on Amanda, get your act together and buy the parasite out.

• lesh

Mar 29, 2018 at 2:26 PM

C-dog

Forgot to add that Ashley does have some fans……. His lawyers, accountants and possibly his wife and mother and from this very blog, Jiblets.

• Ron Knee

Mar 29, 2018 at 2:26 PM

lesh

Assuming we manage to stay up, it’s still going to be yet another uncertain transfer window.

• AncientC

Mar 29, 2018 at 2:28 PM

Hail Wor Ashley, you could have got Mitrovic to be the top scorer at the WC at 500/1 with two different bookies.

‘Oddschecker’ is always my first stop before having a punt. 500/1 though… tempted.

• lesh

Mar 29, 2018 at 2:30 PM

Ron Knee

Yup, nothing surer….. But why do folk get all excited, salivating at the unlikely prospect of Ashley doing something sensible? Beats me.

• Oldgit1

Mar 29, 2018 at 2:36 PM

@ Martoon thanks mate, we older ones have suffered most with NUFC dismal displays over the years, at least we have the fairs cup and the Keegan era for our fading memories.
    Always the Optimus.

• Ron Knee

Mar 29, 2018 at 2:37 PM

lesh

Assertions, not backed up by evidence. Where have we seen that before?

• Jib

Mar 29, 2018 at 2:54 PM

Lesh
    That was the point of my post to Jim
    you thick-head.
    The link was a back door to the article
    doh !
    I subscribe to no paper
    They are all crap
    Btw I’m no tory
    and the workshy charlatan Corbyn is no socialist
    I have a painting of this fella a good friend of my grandad , in my living room.
    A proper North East Socialist

• toonincheek

Mar 29, 2018 at 3:04 PM

If MA really wants to sell, you have to expect
    that he will keep expenditure/transfers to the
    minimum to show a good balance sheet.

I don’t think Rafa will stay if it’s clearly another
    battle against relegation.

• ronaldo aarons

Mar 29, 2018 at 3:11 PM

Sorry guys, I’m reliably informed that the vast majority of our funds this summer have been earmarked for a new, state of the art bore hole at the training ground.

• OneAlanShearer

Mar 29, 2018 at 3:19 PM

Is everyone for for Saturday now…apart from Slimani although I read he could make the bench? Is shelvey ok? I saw Ritchie is ok now.

• AncientC

Mar 29, 2018 at 3:32 PM

Why do I get the impression that Jib @16 has had another one of his moments where he typed first, then decided to research his claims later. LOL. Oops-a-daisy.

• Jib

Mar 29, 2018 at 3:35 PM

OneAlanShearer
    Tomorrows training pics and
    Rafa’s presser will give us a
    good idea how we stand

• martoon

Mar 29, 2018 at 3:38 PM

Oldgit1@14 – Yes I can remember winning the Fairs Cup – I vividly remember huddled around the radio listening to the away leg!

• Jib

Mar 29, 2018 at 3:42 PM

Leicester City to take Hatem ben Arfa
    on a free from PSG in the Summer
    Good luck with that one Foxes
    😮

• Jib

Mar 29, 2018 at 3:44 PM

AncientC no research required old fruit

• Jib

Mar 29, 2018 at 3:50 PM

The feeling seems to be that
    David Wagner will come and
    park the bus on Saturday.
    Myself , I think he may just
    surprise everyone.
    SJP will be shit or bust for him.

• ronaldo aarons

Mar 29, 2018 at 3:59 PM

Think Leicester signing Ben arfa would be good for them and for him. Puel managed him well and got a great season out of him at nice. Probably feels confident he get a lot out of him again.

• Bambams

Mar 29, 2018 at 4:02 PM

Massive game tomorrow. Three points would be ideal and to be honest given their firm over the last 10 games it’s one we should be able to win. But it’s Newcastle United and how many times have we been here before !

The break came at the wrong time for us, need a strong defence to stay fully concentrated. Hopefully Shelv has a great game and can assist Kenedy or Gayle.

I don’t think it will be flowing football, it could come down to who makes the mistake.

• Bambams

Mar 29, 2018 at 4:02 PM

Firm=form

• Bambams

Mar 29, 2018 at 4:04 PM

Fully Concentrating ! Jeez !

• Bambams

Mar 29, 2018 at 4:05 PM

Back to the beers…..

Enjoy !

• Bambams

Mar 29, 2018 at 4:06 PM

Although liquids are important….

• lesh

Mar 29, 2018 at 4:07 PM

Jib

• OneAlanShearer

Mar 29, 2018 at 4:19 PM

Meant to say fit for Saturday

• lesh

Mar 29, 2018 at 4:19 PM

I’ll try again ……

Jiblets

Your Grandad was friend of Jack Lawson eh and presumably because of that association, was politically astute and dare I say it, an honest man. It’s a pity you didn’t inherit his ideals.

• OneAlanShearer

Mar 29, 2018 at 4:20 PM

Jib good point cheers

• OneAlanShearer

Mar 29, 2018 at 4:23 PM

Jib agreed I think they will be desperate we have to put in as much graft and determination to win every ball as them. Thinking back to the away game we had far less of a stable back 4 with dummett, yedlin and Lejeune not in that day. Plus dubravka behind them. Also mooy ran the show as we didn’t have shelvey. Throw in Gayle out of form then and Diame being a far better player now and I’d HOPE we can get a result put of this. Gutted if we don’t.