Rafa Has Had Massive Impact – Identifies Biggest Difference From Two Years Ago

Rafa has talked about the difference with his squad today as compared to that which he inherited just over two years ago.

Fans have seen a vast difference in the attitude of our players since Rafa has arrived.

They want to be at Newcastle, and they know all about the history of Newcastle United – a great club.

And you don’t get into any side managed by Mr. Benitez if you haven’t worked your tail off in training the previous week and you have to do the same thing in every game.

Rafa Benitez – world-class manager of Newcastle United

Rafa says there’s been a lot of change regarding the quality, names, and experience of the squad.

And he thinks the main difference is in the character and mentality of his current group of players.

Here’s some of what Rafa said in his press conference:

“There will be a lot of people asking about my future, but it’s just about getting to 40 points.”

“We don’t need to talk about anything else.” “Can we get three points against Leicester and get to 38?”

“If not we have to carry on and try to get three points against Arsenal.”

“I told Lee Charnley that we have to keep working but to continue working doesn’t mean we lose focus on getting points in every game.”

“We had to change a lot of things two years ago.”

“Relegation brought big change, moving players around for the Championship and after that, the Premier League is another challenge.

“We did well in the end and we’re pleased with that.

“You can see now a big difference between the team I had at the beginning and the one we have now.

“In terms of quality, names and experience there’s a lot of change.

“The main thing is the character and mentality of this group of players.”

“Maybe Claude Puel thinks we’re fine but I have said before we’re not safe and we have to keep going.”

“We need points from everywhere and if we can start doing that at Leicester then I’ll be really happy.”

“We have to go one game at a time, the first thing is Leicester, then it’s getting to 40 points.”

“If we reach the 40 point level we will see what it means.”

“It will be massive for me, the staff, the city, and the club.”

“It’s our first year in the Premier League and it’s always really difficult but still we have to do it.”

Rafa’s temperament of never over-reacting to anything, allied with his cool confident and even casual demeanor is just perfect for a manager of Newcastle United.

He was born to manage a club like Newcastle United – especially in the downtrodden state we were in when he arrived.

But since then Rafa has put smiles on a lot of our faces.

Even after we were relegated two years ago and Rafa agreed to stay – fans were so upbeat.

Such is the immense impact Rafa Benitez has had at Newcastle.

• jane

Apr 7, 2018 at 11:38 AM

“Rafa talked a lot yesterday during his press conference about how thinks have changed since we last played at the King Power Stadium two years ago – that was Rafa’s first game in charge, and we lost 1-0.”

“In terms of quality, names and experience there’s a lot of change.”

• jane

Apr 7, 2018 at 11:40 AM

only regulars remaining are Lascelles, Shelvey and Perez.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Apr 7, 2018 at 11:44 AM

Just about to post as the bus moved!

I’m going with Ed’s selection for the outguess Rafa attempt.

Dubkrava

Yedlin Lascelles Lejeune Dummett

Shelvey Diame

Ritchie Perez Kenedy

Gayle

2-0 win for us

Shelvey with a screamer of a free kick and Ritchie with a pen.

My missus has a lot of odd jobs lined up for this morning but said if I’m a good boy I can watch or listen to the game, hopefully some kind blogger can furnish a good stream again.

• jane

Apr 7, 2018 at 11:45 AM

and not a big net spend or even a profit.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Apr 7, 2018 at 11:45 AM

3 Hours 14 minutes to KO.

• Ron Knee

Apr 7, 2018 at 11:45 AM

“Everton v Liverpool: Salah and Firmino miss out.”

Lucky Everton.

• jane

Apr 7, 2018 at 11:48 AM

that explains the odds drifting in the last hour.

• wynsleap

Apr 7, 2018 at 11:52 AM

Got to say I’m sick of these stupid Spanish rags and others saying that Benitez is going to Real Sociedad. What a waste of ink and breath. Why would he? Rafa is going nowhere next season even if The Rotund Controller is still here.
    I’d like to think, however, that the fragrant Amanda might still want to buy this goldmine of opportunity and we might yet see the end of this uncaring, disrespectful, greedy, devious and unambitious owner.

• 1949BH PROUDTOBEAGEORDIE

Apr 7, 2018 at 12:14 PM

essex g b i also used to get a penny dip at the cafe by shipcote baths i think it had onion gravy. dont know if it was at the same time. it wasnt far from gateshead grammar were i was from 61 to 65. i go up from the south regularly to see mum 96 in gateshead but only see town centre so dont know if baths are still open.

• Moonraker15

Apr 7, 2018 at 12:27 PM

1949BH
    I attended Gateshead Grammar 1958 to 1960 when we moved away. I also went to Shipcote baths and enjoyed the dips in the cozy corner cafe opposite. My gran used to live in Prince Consort road at the time. The baths building is still there but not sure if it’s still a baths. Was the PE teacher at the Grammar called Beaumont? I have a feeling he was Bill Beaumont’s dad!

• Nicky the ball tosser

Apr 7, 2018 at 12:29 PM

You’d have to be happy with a draw. If I think we are likely to get beat I generally keep my fears to myself, but today I’d happily take a point.

• Munster Mag

Apr 7, 2018 at 12:53 PM

I keep saying how much I admire Leicester so presume they will be shit today . Love their pace defensive approach when needed and support of man with the ball

• Essex Geordie Bill

Apr 7, 2018 at 12:58 PM

Moonraker/Proud

I wasn’t bright enough to attend Grammar school, went to Dunston Secondary but my sports teacher was Ken Bowran who used to plat for Durham City as an amateur.

• Ron Knee

Apr 7, 2018 at 1:03 PM

EGB

Didn’t Gascoigne grow up in Dunston?

• lesh

Apr 7, 2018 at 1:12 PM

A couple of threads ago, Ed seemed upbeat that Rafa had been talking player recruitment with Charnley. Unless things have changed massively, Rafa could discuss plans with Charnley as much as he wants but until Penfold’s got the authority to agree any plans without reference to Ashley, he’s wasting his breath. Ashley stripped Charnley of any authority after he’d given Charnley authority to run the club and spend money on players identified by Rafa to get us back to the Prem. Naughty naughty Charnley! Charnley’s position is no more than Ashley’s gofor, a very weak link in the communication and authority chain to Ashley, through Barnes no doubt!

The sooner Ashley goes the better.

Ah, but if he’s starting to buy property in the City centre, is the greedy git going to turn it into a centre for selling tat. Will the City ever be rid of him.

• Munster Mag

Apr 7, 2018 at 1:24 PM

Ya Gaza’s was dunston

• ilovetoon8788

Apr 7, 2018 at 1:25 PM

It’s a very difficult game today. Leicester are a quality side with very little weakness.
    A draw will be a good result but I’m going for a defeat.

Leicester 2 Newcastle 1.

• A Pain in the Blog

Apr 7, 2018 at 1:33 PM

Completely off topic but I love the names of some of these tribute bands. I saw a poster this morning in Málaga (I’m on me hols) for a Marbella based David Bowie tribute band called The Spiders from Marbs.

• DubaiMicky

Apr 7, 2018 at 1:38 PM

Barnsley beating Shef Utd, more pain for the unwashed.

• DubaiMicky

Apr 7, 2018 at 1:48 PM

Well that was the kiss of death, Blade equalise.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Apr 7, 2018 at 1:49 PM

1 Hour 10 minutes to KO.

• DubaiMicky

Apr 7, 2018 at 1:49 PM

I give up, Blades go ahead.

• Tsunki

Apr 7, 2018 at 1:59 PM

Don’t cheer us on today micky. Ta.

• firebug666

Apr 7, 2018 at 2:01 PM

Newcastle unchanged again, 3rd game in a row…HWTL!