These Were Newcastle’s Three Best Players Yesterday

In what was another excellent team performance from Newcastle yesterday in the 2-1 win at Leicester City there were a few players who stood out.

Jonjo Shelvey had another first-class game, and he admits he’s in the best form of his Newcastle career, and he scored the go-ahead goal after 18 minutes.

He’s our Man of the Match with 32% of the vote.

The way Jonjo played yesterday has more pundits calling for him to be included in England’s squad for the World Cup in Russia this summer, but we doubt that manager Gareth Southgate will be taking him to Russia.

Jonjo Shelvey – scoring Newcastle’s first goal yesterday

Jonjo seems to be starting to get to grips with his indiscipline on the field and hopefully, he can keep his good record for the final six games left this season.

Ayoze Perez for the second week running scored the winning goal late in the game – this time after 75 minutes when he brilliantly lobbed the goalkeeper.

Ayoze is second in the voting with 25% of the vote.

The Spaniard is coming into some good form, and he seems to be thriving at the moment.

With his goal yesterday he’s become Newcastle’s top scorer with 6 goals this season with four of those in the Premier League: he also has 4 assists.

Last but not least we want to mention another solid display put in by local lad Paul Dummett at left-back: Paul is looking better and better as the season progresses – he’s one of Rafa’s trusted players.

Paul got 15% of the vote.

Who Was Newcastle's Best Player At Leicester?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• 9

Apr 8, 2018 at 4:19 PM

Our recent form is hot. Our recent teams have featured Dummett. Coincidence? Nobody thinks so. Well done, Paul.

• beefman13

Apr 8, 2018 at 4:20 PM

Thing is this group of players have been together quite a while now give or take a few of them, they should be bonded whatever age they are they ain’t what i would call youngins anyway, what i have seen is a change of direction were we are keeping a virtually unchanged tea, a team that can settle in to their positions, i personally think its the way forward, two up front at SJP also is a big plus, the big Rafa bingo with our type of squad imo is not good, we are settled and playing well, long may it continue.

• jasper

Apr 8, 2018 at 4:23 PM

Jack Wilshite tried to remove Stephens shirt, hanging on to it for about 20 yards. Stephens reaction identical to Maguire yesterday. straight Red card.
    Nothing like consistency Tweenies refs is there!
    Then tonround off the Ref seemed to have second thoughts and evened it up by sending off an Arsenal player for a minimal shove a few minutes later……
    Two wrong makes a right royal ****

• G

Apr 8, 2018 at 4:23 PM

Beef13, I suspect Rafa is keeping it consistent till safety is 100%. After that I would expect to see some of the players being rotated and rested in equal measure.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Apr 8, 2018 at 4:24 PM

And I should have guessed that the bus would move just as I posted, I will continue to repost until it finally stops.

Just a bit of weirdness chaps, but just before Christmas when we were in pretty dire straits, I created a bind rune that I burnt onto a slice of Ash wood and posted it to Rafa.

It probably reached him just before the ManC game which was when our fortunes turned and have continued since.

Not claiming that it’s the reason for our good run since but I’d like to think it has helped a bit.

Don’t know if he kept it or if he chucked it in the bin as a bit of nonsense but the fact it has been in St James Park should be giving a positive affect.

Make whatever anyone wants of that.

I’d be happy to explain more if anyone is interested.

• jasper

Apr 8, 2018 at 4:24 PM

Tweenies? Bloody iPad.

• Munster Mag

Apr 8, 2018 at 4:26 PM

Essex u what???

• Essex Geordie Bill

Apr 8, 2018 at 4:27 PM

Pretty sure that Fernandez will be drafted into the squad soon, pity we aren’t able to give Adam a couple of games in the present set up.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Apr 8, 2018 at 4:28 PM

Munster exactly what I have said, I’ve done!!

• Bobbybee

Apr 8, 2018 at 4:29 PM

Slow down Ed! 🙂

Whilst I was busy chattering on the previous page, Ed moved on.
    ?
    If you can be bothered, it’s there.
    Bit of an explosive end to the Arsenal game, with two red cards out of nowhere!
    Wonder if Gayle had thrown himself to the ground yesterday and rolled around, McGuire would’ve got a justifiable red card? Glad he didn’t like, I don’t like to see from anybody, but like a penalty, it seems that unless you do go down like you’ve been shot, referees will always opt for the easy way out.
    I think if refs want to help stop the amateur dramatics, then they need to apply the rules correctly, regardless of how the injured party behaves.
    Contact above the neck is a red card by the letter of the law. No doubt in my mind – right or wrong – that if Gayle had gone down, it would’ve been red. As Jonjo said in his interview, had it been him he would’ve been sent off. Just as if a player is tripped, or kicked and he tries to stay on his feet, then should there be no advantage, it should, be a penalty/free kick. As long as refs don’t give these decisions, the simulation and exaggeration will continue to spoil our game.

• Munster Mag

Apr 8, 2018 at 4:31 PM

Beef I’ve always felt that a settled team, strongly challenged by squad players is the best way. Rafa is a tinkerer and it’s largely based on saving guys legs but some players need regular games, e.g. Diame, and has said so himself. Either way rafa has been great this season so it’s working. I thought Gray looked like a dangerous player when he came on. I wonder if he or Iheanacho wud be available in the summer?

• jane

Apr 8, 2018 at 4:34 PM

” I created a bind rune that I burnt onto a slice of Ash wood and posted it to Rafa.”

“I’d be happy to explain more if anyone is interested.”

go on i’m intrigued.

• Bobbybee

Apr 8, 2018 at 4:35 PM

Bill, don’t suppose you’ve got a wax effigy of Ashley have you mate? 😉

• Essex Geordie Bill

Apr 8, 2018 at 4:41 PM

Bobby

Bind Runes can be created either to engender positive good effects or as a curse.

Only problem with curses is that they can backfire, so I’d have to really hate someone to create one.

MA is only really borderline in that respect as far as I’m concerned. 🙂

• Bobbybee

Apr 8, 2018 at 4:43 PM

Bill, wow! Imagine such a weapon in jail’s hands! 🙂

• calvinho

Apr 8, 2018 at 4:49 PM

we have so many players with limited Prem experience (most have less than 1/2 season under them). It makes a big difference coming up again experienced Prem players. I think some of our younger players (I included Lascelles in this) will be much better next season following the ups & downs this season.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Apr 8, 2018 at 4:49 PM

The Runes I combined are as follows. The intent was to bind the positive affects of each one to give one complete Rune

ISA Reinforce Intent Meet and Overcome Challenges

SOWULU Life Force – Health – Success Achievement

THUNSAZ Self Discipline – Meditation – Study – Protection

URUZ Physical Strength – Speed

Don’t know if the actual Runic letters will be shown in the content of the blog so I’ve not attempted to show them, but they are easy enough to google.

• mac the jaffrey

Apr 8, 2018 at 4:50 PM

I watched Rafa’s interview on NUFC.com last night with my soon-to-be 1 year old grandson and all the while Rafa spoke he was transfixed with a smile on his face right up until it finished, which was some achievement as it was bedtime bottle time and until I put Rafa on he was having a biblical meltdown.

The magic of the man knows no bounds!

• Munster Mag

Apr 8, 2018 at 4:53 PM

Nice one mac. And Essex!

• Munster Mag

Apr 8, 2018 at 4:55 PM

‘re babies can anyone help. I’m sure I watched us stuff the mackems with my son when he was a baby. What year did we last stuff them? I think it was 5-1??

• Rotonda heights

Apr 8, 2018 at 4:56 PM

wilshire seems to be a bit of a tool. can’t imagine he’s great for team spirit.

• Vask

Apr 8, 2018 at 4:58 PM

Essex

Don’t knowif you noticed but in an earlier thread I disproved all that superstitious nonsense.

Anyone

I really like the idea of keeping this squad together, especially the youngsters. With a few quality additions we could mature into a force to be reckoned with in a few seasons.

Anyone else not convinced by the ‘if ashley doesn’t back, he walks’ paranoid rambling?

• G

Apr 8, 2018 at 4:59 PM

Ah memories Munster, the infamous ‘What time is it?’ match.

• jane

Apr 8, 2018 at 5:00 PM

• Bobbybee

Apr 8, 2018 at 5:03 PM

I hear the mackems are going to shut down the top tier of the stadium next season, like Villa had to, to create an illusion of a fuller ground. It makes perfect sense when your ground is clearly too big for your support base…

… Ouch!! 🙂

• lochinvar

Apr 8, 2018 at 5:05 PM

El Neny sent off for Arsenal in their 3-2 win over Southampton.
    Similar skirmish to Macquire yesterday so the refs must have been told to get their act together overnight.
    Don’t know if El Ninny is any good but presumably he misses the game at SJP on Sunday

• lesh

Apr 8, 2018 at 5:07 PM

Mister Tuff

So, I take it I’m banished to the naughty step? No need to confirm, I’m on it now with pet lip sticking out a mile. You’re a hard man.

Essex,

An Ash rune eh, did you sent it to Rafa with an unwritten wish that he outstays Ashley at SJP?

Given your magical powers, maybe we should we call you Gollum from now on? 😉

• lochinvar

Apr 8, 2018 at 5:09 PM

On the Championship TV programme on 5 last night the pundit was talking about Dunderland planning for the future and that realistically it could take 5-10 years for them to get back to the top of the Championship let slime the Premiership.

This is not Au Revoir this is goodbye.

• Bobbybee

Apr 8, 2018 at 5:10 PM

Vask, I don’t think he’ll walk mate. I think he’ll honour his contract as he seems inclined to do. If he’s not backed however, I can’t see him signing that extension we all want him to.

• lesh

Apr 8, 2018 at 5:11 PM

Essex

We’re all waiting to hear whether or when your runes have ever read 42?

🙂

• calvinho

Apr 8, 2018 at 5:11 PM

Now that we’re pretty much safe, name 3 players you’d like us to sign for next season?
    I’d love to see Sessengon (offer Mitro + cash), Origi & Loftus Cheek.

• lochinvar

Apr 8, 2018 at 5:13 PM

Bobbybee@5
    Maybe the Mackems could do the decent thing and sell their parking lot to Nissan and ground share with Hartlepool. That would a neighbourly gesture, put money in the kitty for the Pool and give the Mackems a Ground they could partially fill on a good day.

• G

Apr 8, 2018 at 5:14 PM

I would take Sessegnon, not so sure about the others. Kenedy and Duravka obviously, and a good striker would be nice.

• Bobbybee

Apr 8, 2018 at 5:18 PM

Loch, you never know, if Hartlepool can get their act together next season, the following season they might be playing the mackems in the second division. 🙂

• Mag52

Apr 8, 2018 at 5:18 PM

Essex.

Have you ever had runes and custard ? Supposed to get you moving.

• lochinvar

Apr 8, 2018 at 5:19 PM

Worth a watch – if we play like this against Arsenal MOTD might show it – I don’t think they did last night

• Jail for Ashley

Apr 8, 2018 at 5:23 PM

Bobby,
    Honestly never seen anything like it, a mackem schoolmates of mine bragging about their loyalty and calling us losers because we can’t do anything about the six in a row. Claimed to have been on the wind up when “the fish came out biting”

• Bobbybee

Apr 8, 2018 at 5:23 PM

Nice to see the Hammers losing. Not that I’ve got anything in particular against them, but every team finishing beneath us means an extra million on the prize money. From just a few weeks ago we’re currently seven million better off than we were. It all helps top up the transfer kitty.

• ronaldo aarons

Apr 8, 2018 at 5:26 PM

I don’t think we wil be sold this summer.

• ronaldo aarons

Apr 8, 2018 at 5:28 PM

What I find annoying is pundits complaining that they need to eradicate diving from the game yet they pick and choose when they want to stick with their stance.

1 2 3 6