Player Warns We Are Not Safe Yet – But A Win On Sunday Can Do It

DeAndre Yedlin is just one of the players who have improved this season under the guidance of Rafa Benitez.

His improvement has come in his defensive qualities and in his positional play in particular.

If players really want to improve, then they should take in everything Rafa tells them – because this man has seen it all in football and has a fantastic record of developing the players he coaches.

And Rafa, who turns 58 next Tuesday, doesn’t think we are safe yet – although he did say we are safer after the fantastic 2-1 win at Leicester last weekend.

DeAndre Yedlin – we’re not safe yet

Since Rafa arrived just over two years ago, many of Newcastle’s players are much improved, and that’s a testament to the great work the Spaniard has done on Tyneside.

This is what Yedlin has said as reported in the Chronicle:

“We’ve had ups and downs this season, and just as quick we’ve got up to 10th, we could go right back down.”

“It’s a case of not giving up and keeping pushing for every single point we can get.”

“That’s really important because by no means are we safe.”

“We’ve got to keep pushing and progressing, if not for us, then for the fans.”

“They want to see us finish as high as possible.”

We haven’t won four games in a row this season, and we have a decent chance to do that on Sunday against the Gunners in a game that’s being televised live around the world.

Arsenal are playing in the Europa League in the second leg at CSKA Moscow tomorrow night after winning the first leg 4-1.

That’s a long journey for the Arsenal players so hopefully, we can start the game on Sunday like the proverbial steam train and hope the Arsenal players are a little tired.

There’s no reason we cannot fundamentally secure our place in the Premier League on Sunday with another win.

Howay The Lads!!

• Essex Geordie Bill

Apr 11, 2018 at 3:36 PM

Ed you just did a Raikonnen on me there!!

• ronaldo aarons

Apr 11, 2018 at 3:37 PM

I dont think we will be sold.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Apr 11, 2018 at 3:38 PM

I would think that the Arsenal players will come back from Moscow with at least a few bruises.

• hibbit

Apr 11, 2018 at 3:38 PM

ronaldo aarons

Apr 11, 2018 at 3:37 PM

I dont think we will be sold.

why do you think that ????

• Aces-of-Eights

Apr 11, 2018 at 3:45 PM

Someone said Benitez gave Bertrand his first games for Chelsea are wrong. It was Di Matteo who started him in champions lge final against Bayern that was his break through season I’m sure.

• Aces-of-Eights

Apr 11, 2018 at 3:46 PM

Does anyone know why the Manchester derby on Saturday was on Sky sports and not on Bt sports because I thought it was BT who had the Saturday 5:30pm games

• ronaldo aarons

Apr 11, 2018 at 4:00 PM

Hibbit
    I am just going by the reported price of the club that ashley wants as somewhere between £350-400m. I don’t think anyone will meet it and despite what he says about wanting to sell, it wont be the end of the world for him if he keeps hold of them and he continues to use the club for the primary purpose of buying them in the first place, a vehicle to promote sports direct.

• ronaldo aarons

Apr 11, 2018 at 4:09 PM

Hibbit
    Thats not to say I dont want us sold or anyone who thinks we will be sold is wrong, just what i think and feel.

• hibbit

Apr 11, 2018 at 4:34 PM

ronaldo aarons
    fair do’s it’s all about opinions

• jazzyp

Apr 11, 2018 at 4:36 PM

If we’re not sold ya can kiss goodbye to any chance of buying players like Kennedy and focus more on players of the calibre of Josepoo.

• hibbit

Apr 11, 2018 at 4:37 PM

ronaldo aarons
    i have not seen a figure of £400m mentioned anywhere ???
    most of the press seem to think £350m will be enough

• hibbit

Apr 11, 2018 at 4:41 PM

jazzyp
    you can also say goodbye to Rafa and a large chunk of the crowd if Ashley stays
    just my opinion of course !!!

• ronaldo aarons

Apr 11, 2018 at 4:47 PM

Hibbit
    Yeah there were quite a few reports and articles before christmas saying ashley wanted closer to £400m. I think that decreased over time when he realised he wasn’t going to get that. Then it is a case of relegation clause etc and he would have accepted around £300-350 without clauses. Now that safety is pretty much confirmed I would expect ashley looking for closer to £400m again.

• ronaldo aarons

Apr 11, 2018 at 4:51 PM

There was this one where local reporters saying ashley is holding out for too much.

This mentions it too, just quick google back lol.

“The Staveley-led takeover will be completed this month, according to quite a few people. It has been said she will spend £300 million taking control of a football club that was bought by Mike Ashley in 2007 for £133 million. Ashley is said to want nearer to £400 million.”

• ronaldo aarons

Apr 11, 2018 at 4:53 PM

I don’t think if the takeover doesn’t happen then rafa will leave immediately. We should have generated a considerable amount of funds this season so would expect benitez to be able to use it accordingly. If it is not the case then I expect him to leave.

• lochinvar

Apr 11, 2018 at 4:55 PM

So curry for tea it is then.
    Spot Ash and his twin brother on a street corner somewhere near you

• Essex Geordie Bill

Apr 11, 2018 at 5:05 PM

Lochinvar

Best ever Engerland world cup song. I luv it.

• Mag52

Apr 11, 2018 at 5:40 PM

Back to the pundits, it’s good to hear the positive views of Merson, Wright, and Townsend.
    We have had a lot of stick from most of the pundits over the past few seasons, and, let’s face it, most of it has been justified.
    There are one or two on here who have had the idea that the pundits have some sort of negative agenda against NUFC.
    For me, when it’s bad they call it bad, and when it’s good, as recent comments show, they are quite prepared to give credit where it’s due.

• dig-n-dig22

Apr 11, 2018 at 5:43 PM

aarons #7

If fatty doesn’t sell, then it’s bad news for the fans, he will take the cream, Lascelles,Shelvey+ Mitro, that should be a £100Mill for his back pocket and kick the new season off in the usual survival mode minus Rafa.

• RobLeenio

Apr 11, 2018 at 5:48 PM

Ronaldo, lol it was supposed to read ‘few hours’ not ‘tea hours’. Auto correct is a drag…

I’m waiting on solid news that transfer talks have reopened before I get my hopes up, this Northern Echo story looks like speculation to me. No reason why they haven’t already opened, we may just not yet be aware. They may have already agreed a price and terms, for all we know and are just waiting on confirmation of our Prem status. On the other hand, Ashley may never sell, we just don’t know right now.

• ben.g

Apr 11, 2018 at 6:01 PM

I’m the same Rob. Think until I see a couple of reliable sources say they are back on, I’m preparing for another season under Ashley.

Last official thing I heard was from Ashleys solicitor saying that if no sale agreed by January then he is staying and will “invest” as normal.
    Just hope he can keep Rafa!!!

• ronaldo aarons

Apr 11, 2018 at 6:02 PM

Longstaff goal from last night. Quality goal just like his other strikers. I thought he had 9 goals and 4 assists, apparently its 9 goals and 6 assists from midfield.

• ronaldo aarons

Apr 11, 2018 at 6:05 PM

Wow guys, out of the blue takeover COMPLETE!!!! omg

• Bobbybee

Apr 11, 2018 at 6:15 PM

That page isn’t there mate. Giz a clue what it said if you read it.

• jane

Apr 11, 2018 at 6:21 PM

“you can also say goodbye to Rafa and a large chunk of the crowd if Ashley stays”

the more i read your posts hibbit the more i think your ITK posts were influenced heavily by your wishful thinking. would that be correct? what do think when you reflect? just be honest.

• Mag :P

Apr 11, 2018 at 6:21 PM

You on the wind up Ronaldo?

• Bobbybee

Apr 11, 2018 at 6:22 PM

I also just got a warning on my phone advising me that site had been hacked and not to enter any important details!! Somebody on a wind up?

• Essex Geordie Bill

Apr 11, 2018 at 6:22 PM

Longstaff, Toney, Armstrong, Gillead, if they all came good we wouldn’t need to buy any strikers. Somehow though?

• Essex Geordie Bill

Apr 11, 2018 at 6:27 PM

Bobby don’t know if you missed it last but I asked how your Taxi service went, did any of them give you a decent tip?

• Bobbybee

Apr 11, 2018 at 6:30 PM

Assuming that news is not fact – nothing on newsnow or Talksport and that warning might suggest t’s BS – I would be quite happy for Staveley to use a bit of nous.
    She’s been quoted as saying Rafa would get a £200m transfer budget, so I’m sure we, would all be happier if she paid the knacka the extra fifty million and deducted it from the transfer budget if needs be. It would still be more than Ashley would give him and I’m sure he could still get the majority of what he’s after with £150m.
    All that matters is getting the deal done early. The quicker the better. Ask Rafa if he’d be happy with £150m? He’d be over the moon if you ask me.
    Makes you wonder why she hasn’t considered this option if she really wants the club. Maybe the knacka was right and she was time wasting. I hope not, but that’s what I’d do in her position.

• Mag :P

Apr 11, 2018 at 6:32 PM

Bobby. I assume it’s fake also. It would be everywhere otherwise.

• Bobbybee

Apr 11, 2018 at 6:33 PM

Sorry Bill, must’ve missed it mate. Once I’m gone I seldom bother reading backwards when I return.
    Yes actually, I got a tip not to believe any news about a possible takeover until it happens! 🙂

• Bobbybee

Apr 11, 2018 at 6:39 PM

Naw, Talksport news is on now and if it had happened they’d be all over it. Somebody’s hacked the official site just to wind us all up. I’d say it must be a mackem, but do they have Internet service there yet? What’s the chances of one of them having the brains to hack anything that doesn’t involve using a machete? Whoever it was is a tw*t.

• ronaldo aarons

Apr 11, 2018 at 6:49 PM

Sorry guys lol, I disappeared for a bit. I was on a little wind up with the nufc link takeover.

• Mag :P

Apr 11, 2018 at 6:50 PM

Sigh, a little distasteful but atleast you admitted it.

• lochinvar

Apr 11, 2018 at 6:50 PM

So the crowds of the unwashed have fallen this season ?
    Wait until next season ….
    Spoilsports really

Newcastle supporters planning to gloat over Sunderland’s possible relegation to League One will be denied access to the Stadium of Light.
    The Black Cats – six points from safety at the foot of the Championship with four games to play – are aware of the threat of fans from their North-East rivals travelling in large numbers to their remaining home matches.

That was what happened in 1987 when Sunderland were last demoted to the third tier and around 1,000 Newcastle supporters turned up at Roker Park to see their relegation play-off against Gillingham.

But the Wearsiders decided to remove all cash turnstiles for Tuesday night’s 1-1 draw with Norwich and they are almost certain to do the same for the games against Burton a week on Saturday and the season-finale versus champions-elect Wolves on May 6.

Anyone wishing to buy tickets must do so from the box office and must also have a purchase history, keeping out those who have turned up for the first time.

Talk on social media and popular fansites had raised the possibility of the Toon Army mobilising troops and heading to the Stadium of Light, especially as Newcastle do not play on either date.

But with trouble having flared at a recent Under-23 fixture between the clubs, Sunderland have taken action to ensure the safety of fans inside the ground and restrict the numbers attending, even though crowds have fallen dramatically this season.

• ronaldo aarons

Apr 11, 2018 at 6:51 PM

Bobby
    That link I posted shouldn’t have got a warning up. It was written as a dead end like this http://justlikethisyousee.co.uk

But yeah, surprisingly the page had a red card and coincidently was perfect for my little prank.

• ronaldo aarons

Apr 11, 2018 at 6:52 PM

Mag
    There was hardly anyone on here so I got bored lol.

• lesh

Apr 11, 2018 at 6:59 PM

Ben.g
    Ashleys solicitor wasn’t lying by saying that if no sale agreed by January then he is staying and will “invest” as normal. And we all know what he invested in January – nowt!

• Mag :P

Apr 11, 2018 at 7:01 PM

I honestly didn’t expect you to prank like that. If jib linked it I would have immediately assumed it was false.