Newcastle Fans Celebrate Safety So Soon – But No Sight Or Sound Of Owner

One player in the Arsenal side – former Newcastle target Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang – cost Arsenal more than the Newcastle side put together this afternoon.

Bet Newcastle were still the better team and we scored two good team goals and our players simply outfought the highly paid and celebrated Arsenal stars.

We deserved the win and Newcastle today and the club, in general, looked terrific on TV with NBCSN commentator Jon Champion doing his best to sell the club to any listening would-be buyer.

He complimented Newcastle on just about everything – including saying it’s the best place to be for a celebration – as like tonight.

Jon also told fans visiting England to make sure they take in a match at St. James’ Park one of the best places in England to experience the passion of football.

Well, he’s right there.

Rafa has the players playing out of their skins and they look so well coached it could point to a much more successful season starting in August.

Rafa Benitez – on the touchline today

And there was neither sight nor sound from the Newcastle owner Mike Ashley – who seems completely disinterested in the club.

That’s why he needs to sell to somebody who wants to make Newcastle great again.

Newcastle fans were delighted with the result, the display and getting to safety with five games still to play.

We can to 8th place and overtake Everton and Leicster City if we keep up our good results.

And the last one from Lee Ryder – just before the end of the game – whta a day for the Toon!!!

Who Was Newcastle's Best Player Against Arsenal?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• GeordieTwo

Apr 15, 2018 at 7:39 PM

Well done to the lads! Brilliant effort. Perez, Gayle, Shelvey all looked excellent as did Slimani and the whole defense. A true team win.

• Jail for Ashley

Apr 15, 2018 at 7:39 PM

Ashley Out!!

• Canadian Mag

Apr 15, 2018 at 7:39 PM

Seriously what was with the pitch today? Never seen so many blown tires and lads sliding around the place. Was almost comical.

• lesh

Apr 15, 2018 at 7:39 PM

No Ashley? No surprise there then. If the greedy git’s got good reason for his absence, one would hope he’d have the decency to call Rafa and congratulate the man. But, we’re talking Ashley who doesn’t seem to have an ounce of decency in him. I hope I’m wrong though and would be glad to hear that he had passed on his thanks and best wishes to all concerned – not just today but over the season so far.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Apr 15, 2018 at 7:44 PM

Sorry

But I have to re-post this one, after all credit where it’s due. 🙂

Just wish to add that I’m delighted that my Rune is still doing it’s stuff.

Well done me.

• Bobbybee

Apr 15, 2018 at 7:48 PM

Ben, yeah mate. Not a complete lap but players went to applaud every side of the ground. Lascelles did the job lot as usual, being the last off the pitch again.
    The connection between players, fans and management is palpable. Hardly anybody left before the end, just stayed behind to cheer them off.
    The club has the feel of being on a launching pad and just waiting to light the blue touch paper. With Rafa in charge and backing from whoever owns it, we’re ready to really go places. Exciting times mate. You can feel it brewing. If Ashley doesn’t want to back him he needs to move over and let somebody else take us to the next level.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Apr 15, 2018 at 7:49 PM

For those who were at the game, what did they think of the refs performance, looked to be very biased against us watching the game on the telly imo.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Apr 15, 2018 at 7:52 PM

Don’t know if a previous comment has been blocked or if I forgot to post it.

But I reckon that Perez is doing what we hoped HBA would do. But Ayose puts in a good shift which makes all of the difference.

• Nostradamus the Geordie

Apr 15, 2018 at 7:54 PM

Here’s a stat that blew my mind, Newcastle United in 2018 have taken more points than nearly all the teams in the Prem. The Top four are the only ones that have taken more point in 2018. Imagine if Ashley would have backed Rafa in the summer. But here’s my problem with Rafa getting to 41 point with several games left, if Ashley is still owner next season and please fingers crossed he isn’t, but if he is will he be that idiot that has a manager like Rafa at our club and instead of saying ” Rafa tell me what you want and you have it 100%, here’s the money and sign the contract extension after you have the players you want ” or will it be ” Rafa you don’t need loads of players as you finished so high so get some you can work with ” If I was MA, surely I could see that I have been reckless over the last several years and need to change my character so Newcastle United becomes the club it should be, apologize to the fans for being an idiot and start growing a positive relationship. I mean he could have bought Sunderland and then where would his money be.

• Bobbybee

Apr 15, 2018 at 7:54 PM

Bill, shocking mate. Same idiot who disallowed Tiote’s screamer against City, claiming somebody obstructed Hart’s view when it was nothing like. Shows he hasn’t improved since then.

• ben.g

Apr 15, 2018 at 8:02 PM

Champion bobby. That’s great to hear!
    I knew Rafa had walked but wasn’t sure if they did a walk around shall we say.
    Lascelles is really a great leader. Sounds a nice lad off the pitch also.
    The fans really were brilliant today. Nice ovation for Richie too.
    Think not having the anxiety of relegation might play a part? Didn’t hear them not make a noise today

• Bambams

Apr 15, 2018 at 8:03 PM

I have to admit I have been critical of Perez, Big Mo and Dummet in the past. The three of them have been nothing short of excellent, especially since the turn of the year.

I can see other clubs interested in a few of our players in the summer.

Hope Rafa can keep them here.

• GeordieTwo

Apr 15, 2018 at 8:03 PM

I think Rafa holds all the cards against Ashley. He will demand the owner’s full support now and will probably walk if he didn’t get it. If he did walk we would be back in a relegation struggle next season, probably with a poor manager. It’s all up to Ashley now to sell or put a proper transfer pot in Rafa’s hands.

• Jail for Ashley

Apr 15, 2018 at 8:04 PM

Bobby,
    Can you believe we only had 28% possession?

• Bobbybee

Apr 15, 2018 at 8:04 PM

Nostradamus, if you can’t predict what Ashley will do, what chance do we mere mortals have?
    I think if he gets a decent offer he’ll sell up, but he won’t sell for a penny less than what he thinks the club’s worth.
    The potential is massive. I can see why he wouldn’t sell at 250m though – I think that’s an insult to Newcastle.
    The club is financially secure and has a world class manager. A fan base to die for and just waiting for the right person. Just hope the right person is out there and ready to make a move.

• Novocastrian66

Apr 15, 2018 at 8:05 PM

The thing with the ref today was that virtually every challenge we made ended up with an Arsenal free kick. There is always some sort of contact when a tackle is made. Arsenal players scream and go down in fake pain and the ref gives a foul. It was embarrassing.
    You would have thought Lacazette would not walk again after a “foul” on him, yet a minute later he is sprinting into the box and sliding in to score the opening goal.

• Bobbybee

Apr 15, 2018 at 8:11 PM

Jail, Really?? That doesn’t sound even remotely right, but goes to show you what a BS stat possession is.
    I think the fact that when we had the ball we did far more than them, made it look more..
    Then again, they did a lot of pointless passing side to side and backward nowhere near the danger zone. A total waste of possession imo.
    For all that pointless possession, every time we got the ball we went straight for the jugular. We certainly carried the greater threat I thought.

• Nufc 4ever

Apr 15, 2018 at 8:14 PM

Well done lads that shows how far effort and team workrate

• Nostradamus the Geordie

Apr 15, 2018 at 8:14 PM

Good Point Bobby, but I cannot predict these type of things when I have been drinking. And I cannot afford another PUI ( Prediction Under Influence ) on my record, its a criminal offence still.

• Nufc 4ever

Apr 15, 2018 at 8:16 PM

The Tiote disallowed goal the ref was Mick Jones so proud to support a team with so much effort. Well done Rafa

• Jail for Ashley

Apr 15, 2018 at 8:19 PM

Bobby,
    I liked the ovation Gayle got when he went off but what a difference Slimani made, I think he’ll start the remaining five games. Absolutely loved that weighted pass to set Kenedy up and that turn that left the defender on his arse.

• Bobbybee

Apr 15, 2018 at 8:20 PM

G2, I wish you were right mate, but sadly Ashley hold all the cards because he simply couldn’t care one way or the other whether we’re successful or not.
    If he knew the first thing about running a football club then you’d be bang on the button, but he doesn’t. Success to him is staying up and he hasn’t the gumption to see the bigger picture.
    Our only real hope is he sells up or has a road to Damascus moment and sees what he could achieve if he backs Rafa. Not holding my breath like. I’m hoping someone simply comes on and offers him what he wants.

• Nufc 4ever

Apr 15, 2018 at 8:20 PM

Exactly how i seen the game Bobby Leicester won the league on less possesion. Its what you do with the ball

• SA Toon

Apr 15, 2018 at 8:22 PM

I love the fact that commentators are now talking about how enjoyable it is to watch NUFC play and generally being positive about us. And how the lads are scrapping for each other. It must be a great team to play for at the moment. I’m really looking forward to watching the last few games of the season without stressing about relegation. Please G*d let Ashley sell and someone give Rafa a decent pot of cash for the transfer window. I’m getting too old for another scrap at the bottom of the table.

• sing in the corner

Apr 15, 2018 at 8:22 PM

Staying in up. Never in doubt..

🙂

Another fantastic result against a team supposedly light years ahead of us.

Glad to see others who were at the match making positive comments about the atmosphere today. I note one or two posters on here were saying during be game there wasn’t enough noise from the SJP crowd.. Commenting they should ‘wake up’.
    Wrong. It was rocking.
    No ‘heavy shirt’, no negative crowd making the players nervous – a lazy comment often levelled at our home support.
    In any ground you will get little lulls in the atmosphere between periods of play. But aside from that, the crowd were vocal and very supportive.
    You could see the players and Rafa thought so at the end.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Apr 15, 2018 at 8:23 PM

Novocastrian

Agreed, I made that very point at half time on here.

• Bobbybee

Apr 15, 2018 at 8:23 PM

NUFC forever. Was it mate? Memory must be going! 🙂 Is Jones from the Manchester area? Maybe it’s the bald head that has me confused? 🙂

• A Pain in the Blog

Apr 15, 2018 at 8:23 PM

Bobby

Rafa has opted to make us a counter-attacking team. He’s not interested in high possession statistics. As you said, it’s what you do with the ball once you’ve got it that matters.

• lesh

Apr 15, 2018 at 8:26 PM

Essex

Liked your post at 5. So much so I’d like to echo it……. Well done me 😉

Can’t you get your runes to tell Ashley to sell up and get the hell out of it? Now that would be a massive boost for all concerned and Ashley wouldn’t have to worry about not being interested any more.

• A Pain in the Blog

Apr 15, 2018 at 8:28 PM

lesh is right, EGB. Get a hex sent off to Ashley ASAP.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Apr 15, 2018 at 8:29 PM

Jail
    A lot of their possession was cos we were pretty much letting them pass it back and forth in their half of the field plus the way our lads were harrying them made them play like that.

We weren’t doing that so much cos Shelvey (Shelvey for England 🙂 ) was able to bang it forward with tremendous accuracy, that we didn’t need to but it did for many reasons give the ball back to them.

• Bobbybee

Apr 15, 2018 at 8:30 PM

Jail, I think a lot of the reception Gayle got was anticipation of Slimani coming on mate, because neither Perez or Ritchie got as good one and both deserved it more.
    I think Slimani will start at Everton don’t you? I can see Gayle being gone in the summer myself so Rafa will want to see as much of Slimani as possible to decide if he wants to bid for him.
    Seeing both Slimani and Joselu on the pitch together was the biggest surprise for me. There’s simply no second guessing Rafa is there? 🙂

• Essex Geordie Bill

Apr 15, 2018 at 8:35 PM

A Pain in the Blog

But as I said before I don’t do hexes or curses unless I have absolute hatred for someone.

I reckon MA deserves a little touch of pity, would you like to be him and and have to live with that.

• Munster Mag

Apr 15, 2018 at 8:35 PM

Pain it didn’t stop Leicester doing well a few years ago. 🙂 What might get interesting is if we change styles as we hopefully buy more expensive players. I’m happy with the tight defence and counter attack and hope Rafa gets more power and pace up front and on the right or where ever he fancies.

• lesh

Apr 15, 2018 at 8:36 PM

Bobby

The club might well be financially secure and has a world class manager but as Rafa’s pointed out, there’s a need for big investment in the training facilities, the Academy and development unit and scouting. Furthermore, any new owner’d have to pay the cost of installing a good Chief Exec and finance staff. Is Ashley taking that on board with his valuation of the club? Apart from upgrading the training pitches to 4G, they are areas that have been neglected or cut during Ashley’s tenure.

The man’s just plain greedy but unfortunately, he’s so rich he needn’t worry about money when he’s got £100m plus loaned to the club and unless there’s a catastrophe, they’re as safe as houses.

Can we just hope that he sees sense and do us all a favour.

• Munster Mag

Apr 15, 2018 at 8:37 PM

Where it gets fun now is whether Staveley and Co make their move. The time to act is now., or very soon.

• Bobbybee

Apr 15, 2018 at 8:37 PM

NUFC forever, Aye, now you mention it I do recall Jones. Whoops! Still, every ref we’ve had has been shyte so one pretty much blends into the next. 🙂
    Amazing that as only one of two countries with professional refs we aren’t represented at the WC. That truly is shocking.
    We buy players from abroad, maybe it’s time the FA went overseas and brought back the best. A hundred grand a year should tempt some of them.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Apr 15, 2018 at 8:37 PM

Bobby

I was expecting Murphy (I know he did later) or Hayden to shore up the mid field.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Apr 15, 2018 at 8:40 PM

Lesh

I’d like to know if the dustbin ice baths have been upgraded yet. 🙂

• lesh

Apr 15, 2018 at 8:40 PM

Essex

Nobody’s asking you to do do hexes or curses on Ashley…… just a little something that would help him see the light and do some good for all NUFC fans. Then, when he’s sold the club, you could send him another set to wish him all the success he deserves.

1 2 3 5