Rafa Benitez Delivers Some Great News For Newcastle Fans

Rafa Benitez has been interviewed in the Chronicle today, and he was asked if he would be willing to stay at Newcastle for a decade – and he said yes – if the conditions were right.

Rafa is putting it out there to any potential new owners that he would be willing to stay at Newcastle if the club were sold to ambitious new owners.

It would really be something if he did sign up for ten years – it would ensure Newcastle are almost certain to become a top club again in England.

But we all know that will not happen under Mike Ashley.

Rafa Benitez – could stay 10 years at Newcastle

Rafa has done a great job coaching this season, and he has made Newcastle look an excellent acquisition for new owners who will back him in his impressive blueprint for the club.

We are 10th in the league and could finish even higher than that come May 13th.

This is what he said when asked if he would be willing to stay at Newcastle for a decade:

“Yes. What I say is you need a project.”

“Coming from Spain – and I have been in different countries – a project is nice, it’s a good word for just getting some time.”

“But at the same time, you have to do something.” “I like to work with young players, I like to improve young players, but I like to win.”

“I want to be competitive and I want to win.”

“You have to have a mix of young players and players with experience – that means you have to spend some money because if not, you cannot compete now and win something.”

“But you have to invest in your Academy and your training facilities, everything to improve the club and improve the project.”

“I would like to stay a lot of years at any club, but if they want to be competitive and they want to progress, yes.”

“But it’s very easy to say that and after, you have to do it.”

“They talk about young managers, but I have seen a lot of managers talking about projects doing nothing.”

“So I want to talk about projects doing something, working every day in the way that we work here.”

“The Liverpool fans and the Newcastle United fans, you can see the similarities.”

We just have to hope that Mike Ashley can sell the club quickly in the summer and new owners can come in and work with Rafa and support him in the summer transfer window.

If that happens, we could have a top half team next season and do a lot better than this season.

That’s the hope, and it even seems possible given everything that has happened this year with Rafa in charge

How Will Newcastle Fare Against Arsenal?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• Bobbybee

Apr 15, 2018 at 9:49 AM

Very fitting that the final goal Wolves scored before having promotion confirmed was the goal of the season. Congratulations to them and their fans.

• Jib

Apr 15, 2018 at 9:51 AM

That sounds to me like Ashley and Rafa
    have talked about this.
    Personally I’d prefer an Ashley who surrenders
    all the day to day control of the club to Charnley
    and Raf than a new broom who may sweep too
    clean.

• Sav

Apr 15, 2018 at 10:02 AM

I’m afraid it’s the part about wanting to win that is likely to cause a problem with Ashley.

• A Pain in the Blog

Apr 15, 2018 at 10:03 AM

Bobby @ 6 and 13 on last thread.

I actually think that Brighton have done enough already to survive.

Southampton’s run in is Leicester (A), Bournemouth (H), Everton (A) and Man City (H). They need to get 7 points more than Brighton from those four matches, assuming that Brighton get no more points. A win and two draws is possible but unlikely.

Stoke have yet to play West Ham (A), Burnley (A), Liverpool (A), Palace (H) and Swansea (A) and would need to get 8 points from them. Wins against the Hammers, Eagles and Swans would do it but on their current form seems unlikely.

I hope that Brighton do stay up – purely for Hughton’s sake. (And I hope I’ve got these fixtures right).

• Bobbybee

Apr 15, 2018 at 10:03 AM

I think Ashley wants out, I just don’t think he’ll sell until somebody meets his asking price. We all now how stubborn he is – not to mention greedy.
    I could stomach him staying if he would just let the club run itself with Rafa in charge of the team and Charnley the purse strings. Some chance of that though.
    I see the Staveley connection has gone very quiet again. Can’t decide if that’s good or bad though. Is it because talks are going on the way they should – out of the limelight – or because Ashley was right after all and she was wasting his and our time.
    Whatever is happening and whoever is interested – if anybody – they need to get it sorted before the season ends. Give Rafa a fighting chance in the transfer market.

• lochinvar

Apr 15, 2018 at 10:06 AM

Sav
    It’s not so much that winning is a problem for Ashley as after all he was a good squash player in his day, hard as that might be to believe.
    More a case of winning requires expenditure on his part and he’s reluctant to open his purse.

• Bobbybee

Apr 15, 2018 at 10:09 AM

Pain, I agree mate. I think the bottom three are already doomed as I’ve said all week, just pointing out that should one of them shock the world – like the mackems kept doing – I can’t see Brighton getting another point. Nobody wants Hughton to fail up here after all. They have to play all the big boys yet.
    There’s normally one final twist in the relegation fight, I just hope it doesn’t happen.

• Jib

Apr 15, 2018 at 10:10 AM

To be truthful no one expected McClaren
    to be as god – awful as he was.

Ashley showed then he was prepared to
    release the reins to a board of Carr Moncur
    Charnley and SM.

He also allowed them to buy
    Townsend
    Wijnaldum
    Thauvin
    Saivet
    Shelvey
    Mitro
    Mbemba

If he was to do the same with Rafa and Charnley
    I could find that palatable

• lochinvar

Apr 15, 2018 at 10:11 AM

Pain in the Blog
    Southampton have the biggest problem and that home game against Bournemouth is their derby so not easy.
    Pity that Brighton didn’t get a point off Palace as I think they have a really tough last few matches but like most hope they stay up as Houghton deserves it and they’ve conducted themselves well compared to other less savoury clubs.

• ToonHamster

Apr 15, 2018 at 10:13 AM

Repost

Hi guys,

I’m sorry to distract from the toon talk but would you mind having a look at this for me, please? If you can share and/or donate that would so helpful and appreciated.
    Our friends have just had a baby but are having to deal with the horrible realities of cancer.
    Ivy is 12 weeks old and is going to live the majority of her life without her mum. Kate has been diagnosed with terminal cancer but there’s a chance to at least extend her time with her family.

Please take a look:

• Bobbybee

Apr 15, 2018 at 10:14 AM

And that’s it for me. Time to get ready for the game as it’s an early kick off. Might even be shirt sleeve order today. 🙂
    Wherever you are watching or listening today, enjoy the game. I know I fully intend to sing myself hoarse and come home with a croaky voice again. 🙂
    HOWAY THE LADS!!!!!!! 2-1 sounds good.

• Jail for Ashley

Apr 15, 2018 at 10:15 AM

Jib,
    He bought the first four to make a profit on, the next three were desperation, It had nothing at all to do with building a successful team.

• Ron Knee

Apr 15, 2018 at 10:15 AM

Brighton’s run-in: Spurs, Burnley, the two Manchesters and Liverpool.

• Jib

Apr 15, 2018 at 10:18 AM

Jail
    You have as much idea (and me too) about
    Ashley’s motives as my neighbours cat.

• thepict

Apr 15, 2018 at 5:41 PM

Bobby bee I understood Ms Stavely was a broker working for a client. What proof is there that the money was available?