This Could Be Second Best Season Ever Under Mike Ashley

Newcastle won their fourth game in a row yesterday when we beat Arsenal 2-1 at St. James’ Park in a game where we overpowered the London side in the second half in front of another 52,000 sell-out crowd.

That was after Arsenal had taken the lead on 14 minutes through Alexandre Lacazette.

But a brilliant team goal finished off by Ayoze Perez after 29 minutes brought Newcastle right back into the game.

And after having the better off it in the second half another excellent goal from Matt Ritchie – scored this time with his right foot after 68 minutes – got the points for Newcastle.

Rafa Benitez with Jamaal Lascelles – after the Arsenal win

We are now in 10th place on 41 points with 5 games to play and if we can reach 50 points it will be only the second time under Mike Ashley that Newcastle have finished with 50 points or more.

The best season we had was under Alan Pardew when we finished 5th top with 65 points in 2012.

The next best was a 10th place finish in 2014 with 49 points after we lost seven of the final eight games.

But Newcastle are now confounding the pundits and if we can get 9 points from our last five games we will have had a terrific season after all and the second best in 11 years.

Premier SeasonPositionNumber of Points
2007-20081243
2008-20091834 - relegated
2009-20101 (Championship)102 - promoted
2010-20111246
2011-2012565
2012-20131641
2013-20141049
2014-20151539
2015-20161837 - relegated
2016-20171 - (Championship)94 - promoted
2017-20181041 - current status after 33 games

Here’s where we stand at the moment.

PosTeamGamesGDPoints
8Everton35-1445
9Leicester34244
10Newcastle33-841
11Bournemouth34-1538
12Watford34-1837
13Brighton33-1535

Who Was Newcastle's Best Player Against Arsenal?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

Howay The Lads!!

• Jail for Ashley

Apr 16, 2018 at 9:26 AM

RobLeenio,
    I wanted a striker but me Ma reckoned I would grow out of it too quickly so bought me a Grifter, had to lump that footin thing about for two years before I grew in to it, I couldn’t stand the thing by then 😀

• lochinvar

Apr 16, 2018 at 9:29 AM

Jail
    You should have give it to a Mackem as they were good for going downhill

• John Tudor

Apr 16, 2018 at 9:30 AM

Could be the best ever if Ashley does one

• lochinvar

Apr 16, 2018 at 9:33 AM

Striker Ivan Toney scored his sixth goal in ten games to help the Iron to a 1-0 victory against Charlton Athletic at the weekend.

Must be infectious this winning thing

• Jib

Apr 16, 2018 at 9:38 AM

(note to self)
    RobLeeenio likes looking at pics
    of men hanging out in loo’s

• A Pain in the Blog

Apr 16, 2018 at 9:41 AM

Essex (last night)

“My comment on Boris was irony, not to be taken seriously, I thought that would be obvious.”

I posted at about 1am here in Spain with a few too many beers and whiskies on board. I missed the irony. My apologies

• A Pain in the Blog

Apr 16, 2018 at 9:49 AM

Jane (last night)

Love the avatar and I’m sure your grammatical errors could be eradicated if they were not some sort of esoteric statement. My psychological bent is alcohol fuelled and normally reserved for a post winning celebration. I’ll wind it in until the Everton match.

• Geordie-john

Apr 16, 2018 at 10:02 AM

WOW !
    What a result against Arsenal. Well done to the team excellent effort and victory. It could have been more if Rafa persisted with Perez and Slim shady instead of bringing on Joselu ( My opinion not a complaint ) I thought that Perez and Slim seemed to understand each other for the short period of time that they were together upfront .
    Lacazette is well suited to Arsenal as he seems to drop as if there was a sniper in the crowd when losing a challenge or near the box. Typical Arsenal tactic !
    Well done to the Makems for holding up the bottom of the championship. Definitely not gonna bounce back this season !
    However if Kevin Nolan’s team Notts County ( Magpies MK2 ) are promoted the Makems can enjoy more humiliation next season when playing them and hopefully Strola Ameobi can retain his title of “Makem Slayer” before retiring. Now that would worth watching.
    I only hope that the rumours are true of the takeover being rekindled and it can be brought to a swift sensible conclusion unlike the last episode. Failing that Mr Cashley you need to spend big and give Rafa what he needs or it will be another relegation battle which will p##s everyone off again. Time will tell no doubt .

• Sav

Apr 16, 2018 at 10:03 AM

Now we are safe and before the summer transfer window opens, the next question will be what to do about Mitro? Scoring for fun in the Championship, has he actually improved through playing regularly? Will Rafa give the Serb another chance or has he just made himself a saleable asset for Mashley? Will we rue his departure to some Champions League outfit or is he just at his level now?