Star Spanish Striker Talks About Future – He Could Join Up With Benitez

Atletico Madrid striker Fernando Torres will be leaving his hometown club Atletico Madrid this summer and may not want to keep playing in Spain.

That has raised the possibility Rafa Benitez could move for the 34-year-old former Liverpool striker who worked with Rafa for four years from 2007, and that was the best four years of Torres’ career.

He scored a massive 81 goals in 142 appearances for the Reds and was magical under the guidance of Mr. Benitez.

Fernando Torres with Rafa Benitez at Liverpool

Rafa also coached Torres when he took Chelsea to the Europa League Championship in 2013 while interim manager of the Blues.

Newcastle need to bring in more striking power this summer, and it’s possible Rafa could try to bring the 110 times capped Spanish International to Tyneside.

Fernando has been talking to Spanish outlet Cadena SAR, and he had this to say:

“I have not made the decision. I will say it as I have said: that I leave Atletico,”

“I will not continue in Spain. Europe? I don’t know. One has an idea that can then change.”

Fernando will be a free agent at the end of June, but his wages will be high.

We would be surprised if Rafa brings in the 34-year-old although he has massive experience and something that is missing from the young side Rafa has assembled at Newcastle.

So we suppose there’s some possibility.

What do you think?

• JohnJ

Apr 18, 2018 at 10:33 AM

I’d be prepared to take him but not on sky high or massive wages – perhaps he could be a good impact sub for us? Perhaps he could also have something to offer as a striker coach? Just a couple of thoughts!

• Bobbybee

Apr 18, 2018 at 10:35 AM

No, no and thrice no. Absolutely not. He is the epitome of a has been. Surely out time of giving aging players a nice retirement job has long gone now?

• Ben Afri

Apr 18, 2018 at 10:50 AM

Could anyone please tell me what the best NUFC podcast is to listen to if you like sensible talk mixed in with a few light-hearted banter?

• JP...from The Rock

Apr 18, 2018 at 10:53 AM

Well past his sell by date. We need better than him. His awful form to Chelsea springs to m8nd when he couldn’t hit a barn door. Now he’s older slower and looking for a last pay cheque- NO THANKS, NEXT!!

• lochinvar

Apr 18, 2018 at 10:57 AM

Remember the Michael Owen saga then clear your head about Torres.
    Torres wants a year in the sun so the NFL or China on mega bucks is calling.

• Geordie-john

Apr 18, 2018 at 10:59 AM

Ben Afri comment # 3
    In answer to your request SAFC. The conversations these days are riveting LOL Loads to talk about ie, drunk & disorderly , Smash & crash while being pissed, Crap & Relegation & how we gonna fill the seats next season LOL

• Bobbybee

Apr 18, 2018 at 11:03 AM

My grandson lives in Norwich. He’s five this month. It’s time. Away into town shortly to buy him his first Newcastle United strip. 🙂 How cute are they?
    Took his dad to his first game when he was six. It was in the bad days of an empty ground and shocking football. Seems it put him off for life! He never had any interest in football after that. Can’t win em all I suppose.

• Geordie-john

Apr 18, 2018 at 11:06 AM

Instead of shelling out on the likes or Torres especially the mega wages, You might as well go the distance and try the likes of Bas Dost. Younger and worth that kind of money

• Sav

Apr 18, 2018 at 11:08 AM

Geremi, Ian Rush, John Barnes, Alan Smityh, Nicky Butt, Sol Campbell….I hope not.

• Jib

Apr 18, 2018 at 11:11 AM

I don’t think he’ll go to the NFL

He looks a dick in shoulder pads and a helmet.

However my Spanish contacts tell me he’s
    already signed up with an MLS club to be
    revealed next month.

• Ben Afri

Apr 18, 2018 at 11:24 AM

Geordie-john

Hahaha, thanks mate!

• NEWEXPATMAGPIE

Apr 18, 2018 at 12:15 PM

Goerdie Jon: I have the same thoughts about Bas Dost as the most on here have about Torres! Does,nt bare thinking about!!!

• NEWEXPATMAGPIE

Apr 18, 2018 at 2:18 PM

Saw Dost play in a freindly against England a few weeks ago and he was sh………… ! with a Capital S ! He plays OK for Sporting but i just don,t rate him !

• Phil K

Apr 18, 2018 at 8:23 PM

WELL past his sell by date.
    He’ll still score, but no more than Gayle – and at the wages he’ll demand – and shouldn’t get at this stage of his career – no way.