This Is Why Benitez Will Persevere At Newcastle – Even If Ashley Stays

When Newcastle lost to Arsenal 1-0 at the Emirates 1-0 on December 17 that was our fourth defeat in a row, and we had collected just one point in the previous nine games.

That’s after we had 14 points from the first 9 games and been 6th top of the league on October 21 after beating Crystal Palace 1-0 at home.

But Rafa was confident the lads had been unlucky in London and was telling us the team was learning and we would soon start winning games again.

If he was a normal manager, Rafa would have been in danger of being fired, and at that time we had only 15 points from 18 games played.

But there was none of that at Newcastle – we’re not daft.

And Rafa has since proved he is an extraordinary manager and in our last 15 Premier League games, we have won almost half of them with 7 wins – including home wins against Manchester United and Arsenal.

Rafa Benitez – unlikely to want to leave Newcastle now

In the last 15 league games, we have been defeated only three times against Manchester City (twice) and at Liverpool and have amassed a total of 26 points.

Over a full season that would be worth 62 points and 7th place last season.

Rafa will know he’s only a few players short (maybe three or four?) of having a much-improved team for next season and will hope (demand?) he gets sufficient money from Mike Ashley to spend this summer.

But even when he’s not been supported by the owner, the team has improved significantly this season with his coaching, and it will be a good foundation on which to build.

Not a bad performance for a club who spent  £20M net over last summer’s transfer window.

Rafa said earlier this year he has not enjoyed this season, but his work on the training pitch is now there for all to see.

He may even persevere with Ashley at Newcastle because he knows the players, the fans and the City of Newcastle are right behind him.

And MIke Ashley could even be gone come September with any luck.

We would be surprised if (the great) Rafa Benitez leaves Newcastle this summer – even if Ashley stays.

What do you think?

• lesh

Apr 18, 2018 at 3:33 PM

Ed

I don’t know if the Corporation bus depot’s still on the Fossway, but if it is, we’ll have to get you back to the Training School. You’re overlooking an important rule for drivers – look out for intending passengers before leaving a stop!

As,I missed the last bus,

Repost

All of the accolades Rafa’s getting won’t be welcomed by our benefactor and saviour. Ashley must be fuming as he realises that Rafa’s far exceeded his (Ashley’s) expectations. Were we to lose Rafa because Ashley won’t back him to the extent he sees appropriate, it wouldn’t look too good.

And imagine if Rafa were given Manager of the Year then walked…… Eentersting times ahead.

• Jail for Ashley

Apr 18, 2018 at 3:43 PM

Has anyone else signed the safe standing petition on NUFc.com, it needs 100K to make a parliamentary debate, it currently has 69K. It must be growng as .com say it has just hit 60K, when I left mine it was 69K

• RobLeenio

Apr 18, 2018 at 3:58 PM

Jail, I’ve just signed, it’s just shy of 64k, so not sure what’s happened there – maybe a bunch of people signing more than once. Still getting along towards where it needs to be, though

• RobLeenio

Apr 18, 2018 at 4:03 PM

The missus has signed too and she NEVER goes to a match – last time for her was when we beat Derby at Pride Park for the first time, 20 years ago I think.

• jane

Apr 18, 2018 at 4:11 PM

“You’re overlooking an important rule for drivers – look out for intending passengers before leaving a stop!”

probably saw you and thought drive on! you even turn success into a negative!

i bet you are fuming at any success as you can’t criticize as much.

lesh you are like a dripping tap, dripping negative comments every day. G2 was obvious because they were one after another but he has virtually gone away, you really should.

• RobLeenio

Apr 18, 2018 at 4:15 PM

Whoops, someone forgot to give Jane her happy pills….

• RobLeenio

Apr 18, 2018 at 4:19 PM

Joey Barton’s taking over as manager of League 1 Fleetwood Town. Just in time for the visit of the Mackems next season….

• jane

Apr 18, 2018 at 4:24 PM

“someone forgot to give Jane her happy pills….”

lesh can have them, his need is greater!

• lesh

Apr 18, 2018 at 4:29 PM

Jane, I’m a realist and given the way Ashley operates and the lies, half-truths he utters hardly give rise to optimism.

Rafa done one helluva job with one hand tied behind his back and appears to be a man of integrity. However, but there’ll only be so much he can can take of Ashley’s shenanigans.

That, Jane or whatever you’re going by, is the reality and like all fans, can’t wait for the day when we’re owned by a person who genuinely wants to deliver a club that’s arriving to challenge for on-field success.

Rather than posting your snips, I’m sure Jiblets might be willing to give you something to do that provides a challenging task to keep you occupied.

• Jib

Apr 18, 2018 at 4:35 PM

Lesh
    is such an idiot he re-posted his boring crap
    on an article that is saying the diametric opposite
    of the twaddle he/she’s spewing.

• lesh

Apr 18, 2018 at 4:55 PM

Jiblets @10 (rushing to Jane’s defence)

Perhaps you could elucidate?

• Essex Geordie Bill

Apr 18, 2018 at 4:58 PM

Typical the bus moves just as I start posting.

Lesh

On the other hand Ashley might be delighted to finally get something right.

• lochinvar

Apr 18, 2018 at 5:00 PM

For the Spuds match :
    Wembley’s capacity is the highest in the division at just over 90,000, but Newcastle United haven’t been given a larger allocation. The club has been allocated 3,132 seats. Tickets, priced £30 for adults, £19 for over-65s and £17 for under-18s, have gone on sale to season-ticket holders with 100 or more loyalty points.

What’s their problem ?
    Suspect that there are plenty of Ticket agencies spivving out tickets to Lundun tourists.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Apr 18, 2018 at 5:00 PM

Another re-post

Jib

I Totally agree with the comment by Burnsie in that link.

Why does he suddenly decide he has to watch him on Monday.

Doesn’t he watch English football and read the papers, there’s enough said about what Shelvey can do.

What if he has a poor game on Monday, is that all of the seasons form out of the window as far as an English call up is concerned.

Southgate reminds me of the Jilted John song, he’s a moron!

• Online Guy

Apr 18, 2018 at 5:00 PM

MickeyDubai

Talking about confectionary ! Is KET a Wearside term for sweets ? Not suggesting your a Mackem Mick .

Ben G. Here’s ten pence go and get yerself a mix up .

• Online Guy

Apr 18, 2018 at 5:02 PM

MickeyDubai.

I was just leading into a question .. Has Your family been living in Seaham Harbour for last 40 years ? ..tell you why Iv asked if it’s a yes.

• Jib

Apr 18, 2018 at 5:07 PM

Ket – Rubbish, offal or waste
    Kets – Kids sweets especially in Durham probably derived
    from the above because they were considered bad for you.

• Online Guy

Apr 18, 2018 at 5:08 PM

Tynemouth

Really good read from you previous pages , re; Ashley and the club. Precise , informative.

• Online Guy

Apr 18, 2018 at 5:09 PM

Cheers Jib.

• Jib

Apr 18, 2018 at 5:09 PM

Bill
    It defo smacks of media pressure on Southgate

• Online Guy

Apr 18, 2018 at 5:10 PM

Jane

I had heard of Elon Musk but thought it was a perfume . Ha .

• DubaiMicky

Apr 18, 2018 at 5:11 PM

On;line, I don’t have a family, I know people in Seaham, I was born in Darlington (not my fault eh), was brought up in various “homes” on Tyneside. You want to know more? Should I talk about the abuse?

• DubaiMicky

Apr 18, 2018 at 5:13 PM

Online guy you’re the worst kind of troll I’ve ever known.

What turns you on about directing your vile bile against me?

• Online Guy

Apr 18, 2018 at 5:16 PM

Or a musk Jane

No only jesting . I had heard of him time to time and fleetingly but too lazy to investigate ..heard him mentioned on plenty news items but let it go over me head.. not lazy really just I’m terrible at doing and concentrating on more than one thing at a time ..cept when I’m singing, playing harp and Guitar at same time ..or fingerstyle. 33+ words a min in Morse is easy compared to watching TV ..I try to avoid TV …AMAP.

• DubaiMicky

Apr 18, 2018 at 5:18 PM

Despicable piece of shit Online Guy, I’ve never wound anyone up on here, just said what I think, no animosity to anyone, after all we’re all Toon fans.

But your disgraceful attitude to me is beyond belief. Did it make you think you were hard at some point in the 50s?

You’re worse than disgusting and i trust Ed gets rid of you, failing that I would hope that the decent posters (including Jib and Jail), ignore you.

You’re even worse than a mackum.

• Jib

Apr 18, 2018 at 5:19 PM

Any of you folkies remember a pitmans
    song called Little Chance ?

• Online Guy

Apr 18, 2018 at 5:22 PM

Dubai MickeyDubai

I’m surprised at your reply there ..seems like you have missread me .

I’m being sociable here , I was going to tell you about a Lady I had a conversation with from Seaham that has lived there 40 years and has a son Mick who has worked all over the globe but has been working in Dubai for a time . Said Lady makes Jewellery as does my Missus .

Was actually being friendly Mick. Shocked at your reply. Peace.

• DubaiMicky

Apr 18, 2018 at 5:24 PM

Well Online Guy, unless her name was Anne Edwards she’s nowt to do with me.

• JackBall

Apr 18, 2018 at 5:26 PM

Too busy looking far ahead, just Realized that if Leicester beat Southampton tomorrow, we assure our EPL status. Knew is was all but certain, but can be certain before we play again.

• GeordieTwo

Apr 18, 2018 at 5:26 PM

This season has been a lesson for those that were saying Rafa was finished as a decent manager. He has been nothing short of brilliant. I don think it puts Ashley in an awkward spot. If he doesn’t sell does he have the nerve to tell Ashley he has no transfer kitty available? If so I still think Rafa will walk as he should. No support no new contract. Fairly straightforward.

• GeordieTwo

Apr 18, 2018 at 5:28 PM

The main question for me is how much of a transfer kiity will it take to keep Rafa interested? Surely it has to be at least 50M?

• Online Guy

Apr 18, 2018 at 5:29 PM

MickeyDubai

Was at you that mentioned KET earlier on ? I’m sure I read that ..hope I’m not mistaken , anyway I was joking mate about it being a wearside term ..and you knowing it .

Seriously Mick I was just making light of it ..just a bit of fun not bile or owt like that .

Is it daft O’clock in the morning over there ? Still surprised at your coming at me there Mick

Massive misunderstanding.

• Jib

Apr 18, 2018 at 5:33 PM

If Eddie Howe’s boys beat Manyoo
    the neet – Mourinho will come under
    huge pressure

• Jail for Ashley

Apr 18, 2018 at 5:35 PM

Someone mentioned South Shields playing 5under1and soon. I’ve just looked at the league pyramid, with so many sub levels of levels, how you meant to work that out. Does anyone know a more simple explanation on how you would make it to league two, other than keep winning your division year after year.

• DubaiMicky

Apr 18, 2018 at 5:40 PM

Whatever Online, I just support the Toon, give my personal thoughts about them and the stuff around them.

That’s all, I just try.

What I don’t and have never done is target another poster and tried to intimidate him or their views.

Sadly others (you) appear to enjoy goading other Toon fans. Why would anyone do that? Why would anyone suggest that another fan (no matter where they were born) is in some way less of a fan than you.

I stand by my statement earlier that you’re no fan of the Toon, you’re a disgusting troll.

• Online Guy

Apr 18, 2018 at 5:41 PM

MickeyDubai,

She was born up the road In Sunderland but told me she has ived In Seaham Harbour for 40 years . She told me about her son in Dubai .

She makes Jewellery.. I asked you because it’s a small world and you never know . Genuine question.

My Missus makes Jewellery and was down on the beach with her mate from Sweden . Seaham Seaglass is what they pick up on the beach ..it’s a bit special .. I’m surprised that even American cousins come over on Hols ..vacation..and pick it.

Mickey., still taken a back with your reply there . Hope your OK

I supported you with all your info you were giving us over the sale and the Arab royalty angle.

Can’t believe you would think I was having a pop at you , we’ve always been OK.

• DubaiMicky

Apr 18, 2018 at 5:45 PM

Can’t even spell my name.

Says it all.

• Online Guy

Apr 18, 2018 at 5:46 PM

MickeyDubai

All I asked was is KET a wearside term for sweets ? Can’t think why you would call me a despicable this and that and hope ED bans me ..just read that . Wow

And I was bieng sociable ..there’s Nothing in it Mick ..have a read back.

Amazed Mick.

• Jail for Ashley

Apr 18, 2018 at 5:47 PM

“I would hope that the decent posters (including Jib and Jail), ignore you”
    What’s that supposed to mean 😮

• ben.g

Apr 18, 2018 at 5:52 PM

Online g

Was my 10p donation cos of my age?

1 2 3 5