A Trip Down Memory Lane – Moncur Compares The Great Joe Harvey With Rafa

Joe Harvey was a half-back for Newcastle when he played for us from 1945 through 1953 – and Joe captained Newcastle United to two successive Cup Final wins in 1951 and 1952.

And then he came back to manage Newcastle in 1961 after we had been relegated under then manager Charlie Mitten – that was strange because we had finished 8th top in the previous season.

I know that well because I was playing for Newcastle Juniors when we were relegated way back then, and a certain Bobby Moncur was also on the team.

Joe Harvey was brought in as manager to get us out of the Second Division, and he finally did that in 1965 when we finished top of the league.

And then we went on to win the Inter-City Fairs Cup under Joe with Bob Moncur now the Newcastle captain.

Joe Harvey holds aloft the FA Cup in 1951
On the shoulders of Jackie Milburn and big Frank Brennan

Bob Moncur has talked about manager Joe Harvey and how he compares with our current manager – Rafa Benitez.

This is what has told the Chronicle today:

“Both Joe and Rafa are both winners.”  “Both of them have the backing of the supporters and there is a feeling that something special can happen.”

“I was skipper for 10 years and he was my boss. A lot of people said we were alike, because we used to shout and bawl.”

“People used to think I was his son because we both had the same haircut!” “As a man manager he was brilliant.”

“He was fortunate in the promotion season in 1965 he had Stan Anderson and Jim Iley who had experience.”

“In 1969 he had the likes of Frank Clark in there and we’d talk about what we needed to do in games to react to moments.”

“We’d think about the games and had good players. Joe used to always just say: ‘Get out there and get on with it boys.’”

“Tactically it would be funny sometimes as we’d be going out there against somebody like George Best and Joe would say: ‘You need to stop him!’ And we’d be like: ‘Yeah we know boss!’”

“But you couldn’t fault his motivational side and that’s what reminds me so much of Rafa.”

“I’m told that Rafa will present players with a dossier on who they are marking.” “Joe was a bit different in that respect.”

“But basically both are great motivators.”

“Rafa is the same now and he knows how to handle the media.” “Newcastle are always a story. It’s our club.”

“Other clubs have the same problems too, but we aren’t interested in Man United or Southampton.”

“We analyze all the good points and bad points.” “United are the heartbeat of the city and Rafa knows that.”

“We still have a few games and I am quite optimistic.”

“We’ve had the bad run earlier in the season but it’s how you get over it.”

Those were the days, but we have a feeling the greatness will soon return to Newcastle United – whether or not Mike Ashley still owns the club.

Rafa’s drive and ambition to be successful seems so overwhelming that he can even overcome a stubborn owner – if he needs to.

But we hope Ashley sells the club very soon to an ambitious owner, and that will make it that much easier for Mr. Benitez.

Comments welcome

• Online Guy

Apr 19, 2018 at 3:51 PM

Pain

Thanks..

I had the thought that your post to me that almost opened up the old jousting sessions we had was born out of a good night out on the Vino coupled with the sun or the Sangria had you going back over old ground.

Anyway , no harm done and no offence taken long term. Enjoy yer Hols.

• hibbit

Apr 19, 2018 at 3:57 PM

Expat
    sorry to hear about your health problems,my best wishes for a full recovery stay strong my friend

• Online Guy

Apr 19, 2018 at 3:58 PM

Mick Dubai

I don’t know anything about Seaham mate . I live in Northumberland most of the year.

Seaham Beaches are like the Klondike at times .. been there 4 times in 18 months or so and there are people there from all over the globe ..It’s the Sea Glass they are after ..It’s world renowned for being the best for making Jewellery.

I’m not a connosisseur of Ice cream but we have home made now and then.. Best. T

• RobLeenio

Apr 19, 2018 at 4:10 PM

Online Guy, your wife should check out Seaton Sluice beach too. There was a glass bottle factory up the dene inland from the Sluice gates in Victorian times and they used to dump their waste glass out at sea. There’s loads of glass shards washed up there. You’re likely well aware already, of course.

• Jib

Apr 19, 2018 at 4:15 PM

Chris Rea
    (who’s a canny chanter for a smoggie)
    came from an Italian family that had ice cream parlours
    all over Teesside.
    He reckoned his big arms and barrel-chest came from
    mixing the ice-cream by hand in his dad’s ice-cream factory

• Online Guy

Apr 19, 2018 at 4:19 PM

Everton was a club I had a soft spot for back in early 70s as a kid. Joe Royle, Jimmy Husband , Howard Kendal, the famous Dixie Dean, (before my time, ha ) , I never realised the Everton lot had a dislike of all things Newcastle it seems , present day.

They deem themselves to be the peoples club ..and it’s written on the walls around the ground .

I Find it all a bit cheesy.. Everton the Cheesy Club ..I’m hoping that travels..can someone post it on an Everton blog , so they are feeling really Cheesy by Monday Evening ?

Famous old Ground , a throw back to what a Football ground was 100 years ago in design and layout. Reminds me of Roker Park .

The Chairman Bill is stuck in the past ..The Fans survey that he instigated , points out of ten for the manager vote is childish at best … redic. Sam has faced some crap this last two year..Although he is someone who sees himself as superior and is a tad aloof so perhaps what goes round comes…

Anyway some musings from me this Sunny afternoon

Everton are Cheesy ..? Song anyone ?

• Online Guy

Apr 19, 2018 at 4:23 PM

RobLeenio

Good tip , She didn’t know about Seaton Sluice one , nor I …great info.. I used to spend time a little north of there..Mate Tappy had a bolt hole there.

Going to check it out .

Her indoors makes exquisite Jewellery. Gives it all away to friends and family.

Thank you Rob.

• RobLeenio

Apr 19, 2018 at 4:30 PM

There’s a couple of decent pubs in Seaton Sluice too, and a great chippy. It’s hungry, thirsty work collecting seaglass, after all

I wondered if she sold it down Tynemouth market on a Saturday and Sunday, there are a few who do that – I should know as my missus is virtually on first name terms with them all, as is my bank manager….

• DubaiMicky

Apr 19, 2018 at 4:36 PM

OG, I’m currently looking for a retirement cottage in Northumberland – the best county bar none in the UK, looking around Rock and the coast. Must have a decent pub in walking distance.

• Jib

Apr 19, 2018 at 4:48 PM

Not to be confused with the Durham prison
    Low Newton in Northumberland is a hidden
    treasure nice pub – the Ship – stunning views of
    Dunstanburgh

• Online Guy

Apr 19, 2018 at 4:53 PM

Jib

Old Mate of mine is Chris Rs Guitar tech. Chris as you know comes from Italian extraction on Teesside and part of the Ice-cream family in them there parts .

Mate, , who sorts his and his band members guitars from home wanted to know if Rea family owned Rea’s café In Jarrow… He told me when he was younger the Ted’s would congregate there and drink OXO with a dry Jacobs cracker ! Anyway (Le) asked Chris as it was one of his old Haunts . Same name and sold Ice cream …Chris said nowt to do with Teesside lot.

My Daughters Father in law Knows him well …He’s a composer of world reknown and they have been in the same green room together on a few occasions … Chris comes across as a nice guy ..but …. I will leave it there Jib.

• Online Guy

Apr 19, 2018 at 5:02 PM

MickeyDubai

Are you dead set for the coast ?

Have a peep at prime location . If you check out property in Northumberland there’s a good few Choices as regards agents . Right move is a good one to peruse.

• A Pain in the Blog

Apr 19, 2018 at 5:02 PM

Rob

The King’s Arms in Seaton Sluice is OK but I can’t think of a second ‘decent’ pub there.

• DubaiMicky

Apr 19, 2018 at 5:05 PM

Thanks Jib, my problem is I only want a 2 bed, and there ain’t many around.

• Online Guy

Apr 19, 2018 at 5:20 PM

Beadnell s a good spot ..Cresswell is one of the north’s best kept secrets ..Might find 2 bed there Mickey. Any further up the coast you will feel like you’ve been robbed . Extortion. Berwick area might be too far north for you .. Inland from there Lowick etc So peacefull and un spoilt .. If jst over the border is not off your radar ..Eyemouth area is decent .

• RobLeenio

Apr 19, 2018 at 5:38 PM

Pain, fair play there’s one decent one, a bunch of others of mediocre standing and a bang average club. There’s also the Beehive but it’s a drive away.

Mind, the chippy is still a great one.

Low Newton is lovely with great walking along Embleton Bay towards Dunstanburgh and Craster. Has a links golf course too if that’s your thing. Warkworth is lovely too, with two great pubs, one of our favourites but busy with tourists. Bamburgh likewise but Warkworth is less far from the Toon

• geordietom

Apr 19, 2018 at 5:43 PM

i remember the jungle really well ( born and bred in north shields ) big tony burgo on the door . god what a place . i used to come home off the trawlers ( was on the ben boats ) settle up straight home get some bait . jump in the bath out on the drink with me mate dougie then down to the jungle … if it was still open i would’nt go in the place now…

• lochinvar

Apr 19, 2018 at 5:45 PM

Doesn’t Ashley have interests in HOF ?
    Debenhams also having poor trading and he has shares in them also ?
    He may need to free up cash for deals by selling non retail interests such as a football club NUFC
    Please
    Watch this space

Department store chain House of Fraser has appointed turnaround specialists to advise it on a restructuring plan which could involve store closures and job losses.
    The retailer has called in KPMG to examine all options, including an insolvency process called a Company Voluntary Arrangement (CVA).
    House of Fraser has 59 stores, 6,000 staff and 11,500 concession staff.

• lochinvar

Apr 19, 2018 at 5:48 PM

What a joke of a club
    Even Charnley wouldn’t be so stupid, would he ?

Everton boss Sam Allardyce says a survey sent to fans asking them to rate his performance on a scale of zero to 10 was “a marketing slip-up”.
    The survey was part of an exercise with a fan panel designed to discover how connected they feel to the club.
    “The survey passed out by the director of marketing was a slip-up,” he said. “His knowledge is about marketing and not football. He got things wrong.”
    Fans were asked to rate the statement: “I have a high level of trust in the current manager and coaching staff… e.g. in making the right decisions to get the best out of the team.”

• Ron Knee

Apr 19, 2018 at 5:54 PM

“Manchester United midfielder Michael Carrick reveals he told the Football Association not to pick him any more after finding England duty “depressing”.”

Well, who wouldn’t be?

• Jib

Apr 19, 2018 at 6:19 PM

Georgietom
    You work for Irvins?
    One of my big rugby playing mates
    was a mad dog called Brian Scorer
    who’s family had their own boat.

• DubaiMicky

Apr 19, 2018 at 6:26 PM

I’ve always loved Warkworth, went there as an under 10 year old a few times and it has a place in my heart.

2 bed, not modern, character, walking distance to a great pub. Can’t be that hard can it?

• DubaiMicky

Apr 19, 2018 at 6:29 PM

The Everton survey… And I thought the Toon were bad….

Shocking.

• A Pain in the Blog

Apr 19, 2018 at 6:29 PM

Lochinvar @ 18

I totally agree. I think that Ashley has lost interest in NUFC. He seems to be extending his practice of buying failing/dead brands to buying increasing stakes in failing businesses with a good brand name, e.g.

– becoming the main stakeholder in Game (as you told us recently) which went into administration in 2012 and has been limping along since:
    – increasing his stake in both Debenhams and House of Fraser, both of whom are facing financial difficulties;
    – purchasing the insolvent upmarket lingerie retailer Agent Provocateur;
    – purchasing several sports store chains around the world (some of which are probably struggling); and
    – regaining control and, possibly, sole ownership of SD (which we all wish would die a death).

Despite the fact that NUFC is a potent – and free – advertising vehicle for SD, and ownership thereof gives him the opportunity to torment the fans through his biannual transfer brinkmanship and the withholding of funds as payback for their treatment of him, he has more overpowering reasons to sell us than to keep us. And, I believe, the hatred from the fans – the whole city, in fact – does get to him. Hopefully. It may be sufficient incentive to sell

• Bobbybee

Apr 19, 2018 at 6:36 PM

Goodison Park is a toilet. How do they get away with selling tickets to seats directly behind those huge lumps of concrete holding the roof up? ‘Partly Obstructed View’?
    It’s theft. You can’t see anything. My mate had one and couldn’t see either goal properly. He tried moving to where he could see and got ejected for refusing to remain in his seat. 🙂 I’m not laughing at him, just the stupidity of it all. The sooner it comes down the better.

• Bobbybee

Apr 19, 2018 at 6:38 PM

Mickey, have you got a link to the questions? Not seen it yet.

• Bobbybee

Apr 19, 2018 at 6:45 PM

I don’t even notice the advertising anymore. Not sure I ever did. Couldn’t tell you who advertises what at the ground, that’s how much it effects me. Whatever anybody is paying it’s wasted on me. 🙂 I simply don’t look at the adverts. Does anybody? Too busy talking football before it starts, half time and full time, and to busy watching football in between.
    In fact, if somebody offered me a ton to name anybody other than SD who advertises there, I’d leave broke. I honestly can’t think of one.

• Bobbybee

Apr 19, 2018 at 6:49 PM

Oh no! Please forgive me. I wrote to instead of too. I know how that triggers some people. The naughty step is currently vacant.

• Bobbybee

Apr 19, 2018 at 6:51 PM

Steven Taylor might have his hands full against Arma tonight! 🙂 He better not damage him!

• Charlie in the Gallowgate

Apr 19, 2018 at 6:54 PM

Bobby
    If you are at the back on the lower tier
    You miss half the game if not the posts when the ball is airborne you loose the ball due to the overhang from the to tier.
    Everton must be awful to support
    living in the shadows of Liverpool
    Have not won nowt since the Premiership started
    Not been in a relegation battle just mediocre mid table season on season out
    Least supporting the Toon is a roller coaster
    Not won anything but came close to winning the Premiership
    Relegated twice
    Promoted as Champipns twice
    Cannot get bored watching the TOON just s little frustrated at timed

• Bobbybee

Apr 19, 2018 at 6:59 PM

Ashley’s had his wicked way with the club shop I noticed. Used to charge printing by the letter, now ETHAN 5 costs twelve quid. No discount anymore for ST holders either. No wonder the shop was empty yesterday. 🙂 And I mean, empty. Me and – believe it or not – a mackem wearing a Sunlun tee shirt. I looked at his shirt, looked at him and just laughed. He blushed. So he should. 🙂

• Bobbybee

Apr 19, 2018 at 7:17 PM

Charlie, wouldn’t want to support any other club mate. Yeah, it’s a long running soap opera and infuriating most of the time, but when it’s good it’s special. All the down’s make the ups all that much better.
    Nice to feel the atmosphere moving back in the right direction innit mate? Sunday was the best this season imo, probably because we were losing and turned it round. Good noise.

• Ron Knee

Apr 19, 2018 at 7:27 PM

ON THIS DAY: 19TH APRIL 1930

Hughie Gallacher scores the last of his 174 goals for United and ends his goal scoring career at United with the best goals per game percentage in the club’s history, 82%.

• Bobbybee

Apr 19, 2018 at 7:34 PM

Quiet on here. (crickets). Gonna watch Arma v Staylor – Blackburn v Peterborough – on Sky so I’m away. Blackburn need to win to stay of course for automatic promotion and possible champions, whilst Peterborough need to win to stay on target for play offs. Everything to play for. (Probably just hexed it for a nil nil draw now).

• RobLeenio

Apr 19, 2018 at 7:46 PM

We should be after a Burnley to win tonight, I think – realistically we’re not going to catch them and if Chelsea start on a bad run of form, we’ll have more chance of beating them.

Obviously Saints to beat Leicester. They’ll still be bottom three and we’ll have more chance of taking 8th.

• RobLeenio

Apr 19, 2018 at 7:48 PM

Arma should run rings round Staylor, surely. He never could turn quickly and he’s packing even more timber than he used to.

• Charlie in the Gallowgate

Apr 19, 2018 at 7:48 PM

Bobby
    Yeah take a lot to best Sunday
    Gallowgate was bouncing
    Mind you the Man Utd game came close
    But yes the atmosphere is returning
    Would like to hear a whole hearted rendition of Blaydon races for RAFA

• ben.g

Apr 19, 2018 at 8:12 PM

Chelsea 1 up

• lesh

Apr 19, 2018 at 8:43 PM

cleveleysbob

The Vaults bar you’re thinking of is/ was the Turks Head Vaults, known as the Back Turks.

On the subject of ice cream, there was a Newcastle maker called Mark Rea, possibly related to Chris Rea’s family? I don’t know.

And of course, the most notable Newcastle one was Mark Tony’s which had it’s parlours around the city. They used to make their ice cream in a little factory under Byker Bridge (on the town side) and as kids, we’d often go there for big scoops after we’d been to Gibson Street swimming baths.
    Mouth watering stuff and massive corners for a penny or two.

You had Minchellas big parlour in South Shields and on the other side of the river, The Venetian on Whitley Bay seafront, near the Spanish City.

Yum yum yum…. I feel a munch coming on. 🙂