Rafa Unlikely To Keep Many On-Loan Players In Massive Clear-Out

We have several senior first-team players out on loan at the moment.

Aleksandar Mitrovic is at Fulham, Matz Sels is at Anderlecht, Jack Colback is at Nottingham Forest, Achraf Lazaar is at Sivasspor, Henri Saivet is at Sivasspor, and Rolando Aarons is at Verona.

We don’t expect any of these players to be in Benitez’ future plans this summer, which is one reason they are out on loan.

But the on-loan players will have seen how well Newcastle have done this season in the Premier League and will likely want to be a part of the continuing Rafa revolution on Tyneside.

Matz Sels at Hull in League Cup in 2016

Belgium U21 International Matz Sels is one of those on loan, and he has said this in the Shields Gazette today:

“I want to know if the club wants to keep me.”

“But I have not closed the chapter on Newcastle.” “I remain very grateful to Rafa Benitez for hiring me.”

“At the moment, I could make statements in all directions,”

“But I have to wait. I depend on Newcastle’s project, to which I remain bound for several years.”

“I have not had news in a few months, but I do not let it get in my head.”

“As soon as the club has ensured their stay in the Premier League, they will contact me.”

Since Newcastle are now almost mathematically safe in the Premier League and new man Martin Dubravka has looked so good in the Newcastle goal we expect Rafa to try to sell Sels this summer.

At the very least he could see him out on loan again although we believe there is no option for Anderlecht to buy him in the current loan contract.

There will be a massive clear-out of players this summer as Rafa makes room in the squad for better players to come in.

With around £125M of Premier League money coming to us next month surely Mike Ashley will give Rafa some significant money to spend this summer?

He deserves every last penny.

• Jib

Apr 19, 2018 at 9:59 AM

Matz Sels has criticised Rafa in the Belgian media
    for not selecting Chancel Mbemba.
    That won’t go down too well at Benton.

• lochinvar

Apr 19, 2018 at 10:03 AM

Players showing how much wearing the shirt means to them.

If nothing else this NUFC generation of players now “get it” – they get what Newcastle is about, what the people feel, what the fans thrive on, what’s it all about Geordie.
    Yedlin must have some Geordie in his DNA going back to early American settlers from these parts. After all Butch Cassidy’s Mum lived in Brandling, Jesmond so its possible.
    Perez also seems to have connected with what’s required and his improved fitness and strength on the ball like Diame suggests that Rafa and the coaches techniques and fitness training plans are really a massive step up from the basic training of Allardyce, Pardew and McClaren.

The whole dynamic of the club has changed and if Ashley completes the deal to sell and allow the next phase of expansion and ambition to be realised then you can bet that productivity and the birth rate in Newcastle will go up.

Me, I’m off for an ice cream with monkeys blood.

• Lindisfarne

Apr 19, 2018 at 10:19 AM

5 goalkeepers will need to be whittled down and who will e prepared to take the third placed back up?

• Lindisfarne

Apr 19, 2018 at 10:23 AM

Can be sure that Rafa will not be given £125m for transfers. Maybe deduct the club wages from that and building maintenance (sjp & Benton).
    That probably leaves £30-40m.

• Jib

Apr 19, 2018 at 10:32 AM

I think young Freddie Woodman
    who’s only had 7 games (3 in cups)
    for Aberdeen this term –
    would jump at the chance
    to back in the fold as third choice

• crawfordm

Apr 19, 2018 at 12:16 PM

Lindisfarne – how do you know all the tv money will not go into transfers ? 30 – 40 million ? are you an accountant at SJP ?