Why Rafa Is Extremely Unlikely To Leave Newcastle – Even For Arsenal

Arsene Wenger has finally decided this will be the last of 22 seasons in charge of Arsenal.

Arsene must be a top-class manager because he’s been severely criticized and pulled to bits in the press for far too long.

He will go down in history as Arsenal’s best ever manager, and the Gunners’ fans will appreciate him more and more as they realize automatic qualification for the Champions League every season is no longer a given.

In the first 20 years at Arsenal, he finished in the top four in the Premier League and made the knock-out rounds of the Champions League.

Rafa Benitez and Arsene Wenger shake hands before the game at the Emirates last December

It looks like Wenger is not finished with football management and he will likely be approached by some big clubs, and there has to be a decent chance he will join PSG.

While Arsene has had success at Arsenal, he has never won a European title.

And that’s a nice segue to Rafa Benitez who has won European titles with three different clubs – Valencia, Liverpool, and Chelsea.

Arsene’s last game in charge before he announced he will leave Arsenal at the end of the season was the 2-1 defeat at St. James’ Park last Sunday afternoon.

It was then decided mutually with the Arsenal hierarchy that this would be his last season.

Rafa is not high up in the initial voting for the next manager at Arsenal (12th at 16/1 on SkyBet), and we would think Carlo Ancelotti could end up with the job.

After all, Carlo has managed Juventus, AC Milan, Chelsea, PSG, Real Madrid and Bayern Munich.

He has won three Champions League titles – two with AC Milan and one with Real Madrid.

We really don’t think there’s much chance of Rafa Benitez leaving Newcastle for Arsenal – even if he is offered the job by Arsenal which is unlikely.

We hope it’s unlikely.

🙂

The only negative barrier to Rafa at Newcastle is the stubborn and miserly owner Mike Ashley, but he will give Rafa good money to spend this summer.

There’s also a decent possibility Ashley will sell the club this summer to more ambitious owners.

But at the very worst, Ashley could remain the owner but let Rafa do his thing at the club and give him some significant money to spend this summer.

That alone will help Rafa have a very good team on Tyneside next season.

What do you think?

• Jib

Apr 20, 2018 at 11:57 AM

Sky Sports showing Millwall vs Fulham
    this evening – Mitro in his pomp on tv
    You Lions fans be afraid
    be very afraid

• AncientC

Apr 20, 2018 at 12:13 PM

It is a shame that Wenger’s legacy was partially ruined by all the contract rebels at Arsenal, but then again, the board were not prepared to pay the best players the going rate, so it’s a difficult position. Wenger with a bigger budget could have won a lot more silverware.

Wenger will have plenty of offers from bigger clubs than Arsenal in the summer, that’s for certain.

• RobLeenio

Apr 20, 2018 at 12:18 PM

Ancient C, agreed. Wenger transformed the club and raised expectations on the pitch, which meant they were able to plan for the future and move to the Emirates. Sadly, the stadium loan repayments meant the club had to be more frugal than their competition when it came to team investment and they’ve struggled to compete for the League ever since, leading to fan discontent and, ultimately, Wenger’s resignation.

Wenger is largely a victim of his own success, in that regard.

• Geremi's Prosthetic Leg Fund

Apr 20, 2018 at 12:23 PM

Don’t think it was budgetary issues that prevented Wenger from reaching more titles.

More the fact that he didn’t understand that you have to continuously challenge your normal ways of working to stay fresh. He never mixed up his backrook staff, club management never challenged him and eventually he became stale.

He put too much faith in his youth development skills not understanding that the nitty gritty experience is what wins you sustainined success. He wouldn’t allow any compromise that would undermine his preferred style of play when it was desperately needed.

They have some great players still but need to integrate some backbone.

• lochinvar

Apr 20, 2018 at 12:24 PM

Why haven’t the Press started to report that Klopp is a target for Arsenal or would that just be fantasy talk like most of the stuff they write about Newcastle. About time they evened things up a bit.

• bettyswallocks

Apr 20, 2018 at 12:27 PM

I really think you should stick to rugby Jib. You seem to be more at home amongst the rugger set.

• G

Apr 20, 2018 at 12:29 PM

I can’t believe the way Arsenal fans turned on Wenger. Obviously their current crop of core fans were born after the Bruce Rioch era.

• SuperShearer

Apr 20, 2018 at 12:29 PM

Boss is a Gooner. He’s gutted today. Would have happily seen Arsene sign a five-year deal. He’s genuinely heartbroken. Goes to show that these clubs who have even moderate sustained success the fans become very spoilt. We never really had that, yes we challenged near the top for a while but we’re always accused of being delusional but we’ve shown this season (and last to a huge extent) we just want a team that has the same passion as we do.

• Toonces

Apr 20, 2018 at 12:31 PM

We made Wenger quit!

?

• G

Apr 20, 2018 at 12:34 PM

I dunno about that SuperShearer at 8. I remember massive amounts of people turning on Bobby Robson prior to his dismissal. A very sad time to be a supporter for us, and the beginning of the rot as far as I could tell. We have a good chance of another golden period under Rafa, and let’s hope the fans continue to back him even if form does dip for a while.

• one fine day

Apr 20, 2018 at 12:36 PM

#arsenalpardew
    Let’s get this viral
    They are perfect match
    Imagine…. Lacazette and PEA being told to track back ..?
    Laughing my c@@k off

• SuperShearer

Apr 20, 2018 at 12:36 PM

@G – very good point sir. I will never forgive those ‘fans’ for turning on Sir Bobby. There was a bit of a blip in the first 10 games or so, he would have turned it around. Was gutted when he left. Like you say, here’s hoping that the good times roll with Rafa. Some fans are just never satisfied. I’ve loved this season, always knew it was going to be tough but kept the faith. I’d settle for a mid-table finish and a slow period of building under Rafa for the next few years any day of the week. Just no more relegation scraps, my nerves can’t handle it.

• Jail for Ashley

Apr 20, 2018 at 12:44 PM

I’m still hurt by the way a section of fans turned on SBR, like I’ve said before, we went from every bodies second team to being not only disliked but a laughing stock as we hired a guy who Blackburn couldn’t afford to sack, and paid them compo for him.

• one fine day

Apr 20, 2018 at 12:46 PM

Super shearer
    Let’s hope those who did that ( hang out SBR) hang/ regret and above all never be like that again to the ones who want to the right thing..
    Who replaced Bobby ?….oh yeah
    Carefull what you wish for
    #getthefullstory

• Nicky the ball tosser

Apr 20, 2018 at 12:46 PM

Wenger isn’t gonna walk into a bigger job than Arsenal at 68, and after his problems of the last few years. Maybe France or England after the WC, depending on how they fair.

• G

Apr 20, 2018 at 12:47 PM

I think the main crux of the problem is that we had a relatively low attendance of core fans whom came to watch the Toon under Ardiles and Jim Smith before that, so when Keegan came in we suddenly had a full house. I remember one particular old friend who was a Liverpool fan at the time suddenly turning up in the Leazes end swearing he had been a lifelong Toon fan and season ticket holder, which kind of summarises a large percentage of our support numbers to a degree. Anyway, a lot of people suddenly turned up, and were spoiled under Keegan, then after a couple of mistakes Robson, so when results went down, they demanded heads roll. The rest, as they say, is history. Lets do our collective best to make sure that kind of support is the silent minority in future.

• RobLeenio

Apr 20, 2018 at 12:53 PM

G, I guess the one difference this time round is that St James Park wasn’t empty under Kinnear / McLaren / Pardew / Carver, so the season ticket holders this time round have seen what happens with crap managers and should appreciate Rafa all the more. I hope we never see them turn on one of our own like they did with SBR again.

• Jib

#16
    Er ..what you said
    Bang on

• one fine day

Apr 20, 2018 at 1:02 PM

Jeff,
    Why do you constantly twist things to defend Ashley ?
    Real question .. Be it from some one “uneducated” ?

• Jib

Apr 20, 2018 at 1:05 PM

one fine day
    The moniker is jib
    And I defend Ashley cos I can
    OK

• Basogeordie

Apr 20, 2018 at 1:06 PM

I’ve been saying for a few years that I think they’ll go for Thomas Tuchel.

• one fine day

Apr 20, 2018 at 1:11 PM

Jeff/jib//same
    Because you can ?
    An overwhelming case then.
    No further questions

• Jib

Apr 20, 2018 at 1:11 PM

One things for sure if you remember when
    Wenger was appointed – whoever it is it’s
    already sorted.

• G

Apr 20, 2018 at 1:16 PM

Based on my earlier comment, I was attempting to work out when the last time we had regular full houses at SJP was prior to Keegan’s tenure? It might be my memory playing tricks, but I swear is was probably the Arthur Cox era? When KK was still kicking a ball for us. I remember a flurry of interest when Ossie was appointed, but that didn’t last long.

• G

Apr 20, 2018 at 1:19 PM

I don’t even remember seeing huge crowds in the 89/90 play off (beaten by some 3rd tier side of unwashed). As I say, perhaps its memory playing tricks.

• one fine day

Apr 20, 2018 at 1:20 PM

G
    First game foe me was Brighton fa cup
    Trelford mills etc
    Felt like a full house then but could be wrong
    Imre Viradi etc
    Pre Kk

• G

Apr 20, 2018 at 1:23 PM

OFD Infamous game, sadly one I missed due to operational requirements (I was a squaddie back then), I think I was in Northern Ireland at the time.

• one fine day

Apr 20, 2018 at 1:28 PM

G,
    Then well done to you mate on your service
    I think a tour of Northern Ireland would surely make the Trelford mills thing very Very trivial .
    Bizarely I still went back for more

• Jib

Apr 20, 2018 at 1:41 PM

G
    If it refreshes your memory
    The Brighton cuptie was May 1979
    same year
    Mountbatten
    Warrenpoint
    Airey Neave

• Hail Wor Ashley

Apr 20, 2018 at 2:00 PM

For me this summer is all about quality and not quantity.

If we can add Kenedy and Dubravka permanently. After that all we need to take the next step is a more lethal, athletic ST, a no10 and an Mbemba replacement because I think he’ll be gone.

Mitro, Saivet, Haidara, Mbemba, Elliot/Darlow, Colback, at least to be sold and there’s £35-40m on top of the the now £50m+ profit we’ll make from our finish.

• G