Benitez – It Was A Massive Mistake – Makes No Sense

You cannot accuse Rafa Benitez or big Sam Allardyce of getting on well over the years, and there have been a few verbal skirmishes in their time.

Rafa and Sam have different views on most things in football, but Rafa has defended Allardyce about his comments on the recent controversial survey sent out by Everton,

In it, the club basically ask the fans how Sam has performed this year, and the results will not be positive.

To do that during the season seems silly and naive but that’s what the Everton hierarchy have done.

Rafa Benitez and Sam Allardyce – Newcastle Sunderland derby 2016

Benitez has said this about Everton sending out that survey:

“Yes, it was a massive mistake,”

“I don’t agree with him (Allardyce) on a lot of things but on this one it is obvious it was a mistake.”

“You cannot be talking about that the manager’s future, especially when things are not going so well.”

“It makes no sense.”

“I am defending what he (Allardyce) said about this – that’s all!”

Newcastle are flying high at the moment, but we must not be over-confident, and Everton have some outstanding players in their team.

It will be a difficult game for us at Goodison Park where we very rarely do well.

But perhaps we can extend our win streak to five games on Monday night.

It’s possible and that’s the goal.

How Will Newcastle Fare At Everton?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• DubaiMicky

Apr 21, 2018 at 11:03 AM

We’ll lose on Monday, not that I want it, but after 4 EPL wins in a row we have a banana skin.

Hope I’m proved wrong.

• ronaldo aarons

Apr 21, 2018 at 11:05 AM

Lol. Mitro supposedly can’t play in a Rafa team yet has 9 goals in 15 league starts spread over the 2 seasons in both premiership and championship under Rafa which some consider being given numerous chances and failing miserably. Joke to even suggest that is being given chance after chance. On top of that he has 7 assists in that time, at least. I can’t remember the amount of assists in that time period. He isn’t a good young striker and like many strikers, he misses chances and has bad games and good games. Not every striker is an aguero at a young age and find it difficult to reach a level of consistency and are clinical in front of goal. Mitro seems to be finding some consistency and is starting to score more of his chances. That’s improvement and those who can’t see it just don’t want to and would rather knock him for performances when he was 20-22.

Say what you want about the situation but mitro has likely played his last game for us and will most likely be moved on this summer. So posters who seem to be unhappy of him performing well says a lot considering he is still our player and the better he performs will make sure we get as much as we can for him.

Likewise, posters who seem to use mitros form as tool to knock Rafa with is a bit unfair. Since Rafa came he’s hardly taken a liking to him which you can see with the amount of starts he’s been given over this period and especially so when it was ever hardly a run of games. Rafa wanted him gone the season we got relegated but no bidders at the price we wanted. Rafa wanted him gone the summer we got promoted and Martin hardy mentioned how Rafa was supposed to be unhappy that he was still here.

The loan move isn’t a master stroke by Rafa either. All January he was saying how he doesn’t want to loan players out and wants to sell him. He was loaned out in a desperate move to just get him out. That’s it. Doesn’t matter how he plays I thinks he’s done with us. Unfortunate, yes. But things don’t always work out in football and that’s it really.

Rafa is here to stay I hope and he needs to be able to mound the squad how he wants. We may not like his decisions but that’s football, it’s all about opinions. Difficult to say if it’s right or wrong as there would be so many factors and different tangibles to consider.

The same posters that say mitro supporters need to get over it that he’s gone are also the same posters that need to stop changing history to suit what they want to say.

• ronaldo aarons

Apr 21, 2018 at 11:08 AM

He isn’t a good young striker = he is a good young striker.

• Jib

Apr 21, 2018 at 11:15 AM

rolando Aarons
    Mitro
    17 goals in 72 games for NUFC
    one goal every 4.2 games isn’t
    very good

• Jib

Apr 21, 2018 at 11:17 AM

Rolando
    you cleverly used starts rather than
    number of games
    lies – damned lies – and statistics

• ronaldo aarons

Apr 21, 2018 at 11:18 AM

Jib
    Well done jib, you can play with stats.

How many are starts, how many are sub appreciates. How long are these sub appearances, 2-3mins, 10-20mins, 30min etc.

How about if you are going to include all appearances why not consider providing the goals to minutes instead. Much more reliable and impartial.

Don’t mention his assists record for us either.

• Jib

Apr 21, 2018 at 11:31 AM

I don’t mention anything about him
    I just respond to you

• TyneMouth

Apr 21, 2018 at 11:33 AM

It’s probably coincidental, however the successful run of results by the lads has occurred in the absence of Mitrovich from SJP.

Rumours of his disruptive behaviour during training, may well have some grounds.

One thing is certain, he’s obviously not Rafa’s flavour of the month!…

• Jib

Apr 21, 2018 at 11:36 AM

I’m sure it isn’t solely limited to NUFC
    but why do some fans obsess about
    players who are long gone HbA Abeid etc.
    or
    Are not available for whatever reason ?

Bloody weird if you ask me like

We have a squad of players who are really
    doing the biz for us – obsess about them!

• ronaldo aarons

Apr 21, 2018 at 11:42 AM

Tyne mouth
    What rumours of disruptive behaviour? Do you have a link?
    I saw that article in the chronicle about his training stats not being up to par with others as a reason for lack of starts which I can understand especially with Rafa being manager and being so on it regarding training.

• ronaldo aarons

Apr 21, 2018 at 11:45 AM

Jib
    He still causes debate because he isn’t long gone, he is still our player. Admittedly I don’t think he’ll play for us again.

Not sure if you were directing the obsessed remark towards me but my long post was me trying to be balanced and in response to the debate on him last night.

• Jib

Apr 21, 2018 at 11:48 AM

Ah OK

• Jib

Apr 21, 2018 at 11:52 AM

Rolando
    I didn’t say Mitro was long gone

I said HbA and Abeid were

I said players unavailable for
    whatever reason

Some folk have real difficulty
    reading what folk actually say
    The JfA school of blogging
    very frustrating arguing with
    crap debaters

• ronaldo aarons

Apr 21, 2018 at 12:00 PM

Jib
    I’ll admit I like both Ben arfa and abeid!

After talking about mitro and then posting about fans absessing about hba and abeid etc, I assumed you were associating mitro and his supporters in this too. Easy mistake to make my bad.

• Jib

Apr 21, 2018 at 12:08 PM

grumble grumble grouch grouch
    (note to self – cut out the vodka
    on the cornflakes)
    aye my bad also

• Online Guy

Apr 21, 2018 at 12:15 PM

Good Morning ..afternoon,

Can the Sunderlan lot go down today ?

• Jail for Ashley

Apr 21, 2018 at 12:15 PM

Jiblets,
    You’ve got a nerve saying I’m a useless in a debate, at least I try, you bury your head in the sand or resort to insults 90% of the time your guff is challenged.

• Online Guy

Apr 21, 2018 at 12:18 PM

Another thing before I go on my travels…

Ashley has said he cannot take us any further . And ” I won’t be putting my hand in my pocket to keep up with the top 6 ” , bit of a misquote there (Paraphrasing) but words to that effect . We know he won’t invest , he said it. Won’t do it.

Any Ashley doubters read my next post .

• Jib

Apr 21, 2018 at 12:26 PM

He said
    I won’t put my hand in my pocket
    The club has to wipe it’s own nose
    All moneys generated beyond that
    are Rafa’s
    Seems fair enough to me

• Online Guy

Apr 21, 2018 at 12:27 PM

Hiring Joe Kinnear the drunken hasbeen as The New Manager of NEWCASTLE UNITED !! …sorry Joe but your a piss artist, was a message to the fans of Newcastle United that he could take the piss , and continued to do so ..right up to now. Still going on today and the last 3 transfer windows . He’s now letting Rafa down , us down , and the region down .

I can’t see this leopard changing his spots.

Yohan Kebab anyone ?

Kinnear Was a joke appointment ..can anyone recall the drunken interveiw he had on talk Sport?

I can recall him calling Yohan, Kebab, any more? .

Do not forget what Ashley done to us with that appointment , it was a deliberate piss take.

• Lindisfarne

Apr 21, 2018 at 12:31 PM

Although it has been said before and to offer further balance; Rafa builds a team/squad whereas Mitrovic requires the team to be built around him. Neither is better/worse just different. Plus, it doesn’t really matter if an ex-player is from the recent past or further back, they all get a mention at some point in the general discussion.

• Lindisfarne

Apr 21, 2018 at 12:33 PM

MA does not mention the amount of money being put in his back pocket!

• Lindisfarne

Apr 21, 2018 at 12:36 PM

Would love to drop down Fat “11 out of 10” Sam a peg or two on Monday and there is no reason why we can not. IMO the players at Everton have had enough of him as well.

• Nicky the ball tosser

Apr 21, 2018 at 12:37 PM

Just as a reminder, Ashley specifically talking about a tilt at the top 6, when asked how much money he would give to Benitez, Ashley said: “Not enough – very simple, and Rafa knows that.”

“It’s not a secret, every penny the club generates he can have but it won’t generate enough.

“Rafa makes all the final decisions, Lee answers to Rafa – we’re crystal clear.

“He makes decisions on players out, players in.

“But he has to do it with the money the club have.”

He is specifically talking about transfers here, not a new training facility or upgrading the Academy etc, although I would agree getting any money out of Ashley other than to get us out of the Championship has been a forlorn pursuit in the past.

Having said that the past doesn’t dictate the present or the future, and certainly Rafa continues to change everything.

• Online Guy

Apr 21, 2018 at 12:43 PM

Jib

Good afternoon.

Ashley will find the money to spend on property deals, 300 MILLION on one?

We come second in his empire and thoughts . You might think he’s a nice guy ..he might well be but I know what happens next if he let’s Rafa down ..what was it we had in net spends last transfer window ? 20 million ? I’m sure the club generates more than that .

Where’s all the money going from commercial enterprise .. ? pouring rights , shirt sales , catering advertising, and much more .

He’s wiping his own nose with the clubs money it generates on the Back of football .

Every last penny ? Not true to form . I’m off. Have a good day.

• Jib

Apr 21, 2018 at 12:57 PM

20 + players on £40K per week average
    do the maths Einstein

• Nicky the ball tosser

Apr 21, 2018 at 1:00 PM

Isn’t it true that we have functioned this term on last seasons parachute payment and Championship winnings, match day receipts and shirt sponsorship, etc?

That’s what’s funded transfers for the last two windows. It doesn’t seem to support the idea that Ashley has withheld anything from Rafa.

We are yet to receive this seasons telly money. It’s this window that will tell us if Ashley is true to his word.

• Lindisfarne

Apr 21, 2018 at 1:11 PM

Unfortunate for the player, but is this not just a case of NUFC trying to play transfer targets off one another?

IMO the club are still trying to beat down the price of Slimani with the continuous rumours of other strikers and why not, when it could potentially save £10M+ for an aging player that has not established himself in the PL. However, time and place, plus the welfare of our current players should be appreciated.

• TyneMouth

Apr 21, 2018 at 1:16 PM

Ronaldo Aarons, @#10

If ‘rumours’ had links they’d be facts.

Rumours are a composite of chat, banter and wishful thinking.

They manifest in pub-chat, the work place, on bus and of course at the match.

The only ‘Rumours’ that are a fact is the rather good album by Fleetwood Mac. Just sayin’…

• chicousa

Apr 21, 2018 at 1:22 PM

ronaldo aarons
    Well said above in your posts! Saved me lots of typing. 🙂

• DubaiMicky

Apr 21, 2018 at 1:33 PM

Because we know how much we all love a good stat… here’s an interesting one ?

West Brom would be 12th in the table on 37 points if matches finished at half-time.

• Lascelles sells sea shells by the sea shore

Apr 21, 2018 at 1:38 PM

Rolando,

I like what you’ve thrown out there too, I like Mitrovic as a footballer, I know nothing off him as a player and I would suggest that Rafa is too professional to disregard someone over a personality clash. Mitrovic may be good for a bit of banter around the club and this may manifest itself into a distraction on the training field, I’m just surmising this though, he doesn’t appear to have the most professional attitude in my opinion, but he undoubtedly has talent. I unconditionally trust Rafa because of his ability to include future mitigating factors that may cause bumps along the way in his foreseen road to success.

Mitrovic is a conundrum, you can’t question his ability but you can question his versatility and temperament which is all part of the bigger picture that Rafa sees, I would like him to improve with us but I think we need more than a focal point up top for the way we play, we need an industrious, hard working finisher with a bit of pace and physicality, these type of players cost probably more than we can afford but hopefully with his contacts Rafa can upgrade Mitro for a similar pay out than what we can sell him for. I do think he could be as good as Higuian in the future, their styles are quite similar, that’s why I believe Napoli have been sniffing around him since Higuian went to Juve.

• davetoon

Apr 21, 2018 at 1:39 PM

… or if they werent Pardewed 😉

• Lascelles sells sea shells by the sea shore

Apr 21, 2018 at 1:50 PM

Jail any chance you’ll share your Acca as a tip this week for the blog… You sound like youve done alright in recent weeks with your predictions… Share the wealth lad!!! 🙂

• chicousa

Apr 21, 2018 at 1:52 PM

Micky @1
    I hope you are wrong about us losing on Monday night! Because I would love to see the lads give Rafa a big win over Hippo Heed, whom is one of the few people I think Rafa clearly dislikes…

• DubaiMicky

Apr 21, 2018 at 2:10 PM

chic – I hope I’m wrong too.

• Munster Mag

Apr 21, 2018 at 2:14 PM

Jail you don’t debate, you shout. Certainly when it comes to Rafa debates. In the past I asked questions when I felt he was being defensive or cautious or playing guys in different positions and all you could shout was that he won the champs league. If you had ancelloti herd I presume you would never ask questions either?

• Munster Mag

Apr 21, 2018 at 2:15 PM

Rondon scores again. I wud have him ahead of Jorgensen by a mile. Possibly ahead of slimani too. More pace and tricks.

• davetoon

Apr 21, 2018 at 2:28 PM

@Munster He will be available at the right price at the end of the season. Coming into the final year of his contract so they couldn’t ask for a lot.