Allardyce Expresses Respect For Both Rafa Benitez And Newcastle

For tonight’s game at Everton, the Toffees manager Sam Allardyce has talked about his past times with Rafa Benitez when Rafa was at  Liverpool, and big Sam was managing Bolton Wanderers.

It should be a good and close game tonight, but we are hoping we can make it five wins in a row and go above the Toffees in the league table.

Sunderland have missed Sam since he left for the England job just less than two years ago, and if Sam had stayed at the Black Cats, they would still be in the Premier League next season and not in League One.

Rafa Benitez and Sam Allardyce at St. James’ Park  –  March 20, 2016

This is what Allardyce has said about Newcastle and Rafa:

“From a difficult period they have managed to recover and get in the Premier League and they have turned it around.”

“They have put together a run of games and we’ll see a better Newcastle than we saw up there (when Everton won 1-0).”

“Rafa has progressed very well. He has always expressed his disappointment with not enough funds – we can all say we don’t have enough funds.”

“What he has managed with the funds he has, particularly in the January months, has been excellent.”

“I was winding up anyone I could (back when Sam was Bolton manager) and it worked well at times. That doesn’t happen now.”

“I wouldn’t go back to that. I’m too long in the tooth and mature for it.”

“It’s been that long I have nothing but respect for the football club. It felt unjust but I have moved on.”

When we get older, we do get a little wiser (sometimes).

Everton have been struggling a bit of late, so it’s a good time for us to play them – although we very rarely take anything away from Goodison Park.

How Will Newcastle Fare At Everton?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• SPRINGY

Apr 23, 2018 at 2:27 PM

Not to worried that rafa hasn’t started negotiating a new contract….he always concentrates on training and the next match…once the season is done then we’ll know the craic… hopefully good news.

• Lee Charnley Bunga Party

Apr 23, 2018 at 2:33 PM

I hope Slimani starts he could be the missing piece of our jigsaw especially having the likes of Richie , Kennedy and Shelvey able to whip crosses in for a big man to smash in!

• AncientC

Apr 23, 2018 at 2:36 PM

Didn’t Benitez part ways with his agent and now represents himself. I hope so. A new agent could make things difficult. Last I heard Benitez was representing himself but it was unclear if it were to remain that way.

• cyprus

Apr 23, 2018 at 2:40 PM

We deserved more in our last game, Sam. Hopefully I’ll show you what I mean, tonight 😉

• Jib

Apr 23, 2018 at 2:55 PM

Manuel Garcia Quilon is still shown as Rafa’s agent
    on Transfemarkt website but they actually amicably
    went their separate ways last October.
    The reason given being that Rafa would never return
    to La Liga (MGQ’s area of influence)
    However it occurred at the same time as Ashley looked
    like he was selling to Amanda
    so read into it what you will

• lochinvar

Apr 23, 2018 at 3:10 PM

LeeCharnley@2
    Agreed – ready for Slimani to start. Everton are often physical and mouthy at home so we need someone up front to keep them quiet.
    Pundits always talk of a teams spine and ours looks good

Dubrovka
    Lascalles/Lejeune
    Shelvey/Diame
    Slimani

Add Yedlin and Dummett at full back and Ritchie and Kennedy on the flanks and Perez buzzing around behind the striker and that’s a strong combo.

HWTL

• bettyswallocks

Apr 23, 2018 at 3:24 PM

I’ll love it if we beat them tonight just to see fat Sam chewing more vigorously on his gum as they go further and further behind.

• Jib

Apr 23, 2018 at 3:25 PM

I think a 1 – 1 draw tonight
    That will suit us better than
    the Toffees

• Essex Geordie Bill

Apr 23, 2018 at 3:32 PM

4 Hours 27 Minutes to KO

• Essex Geordie Bill

Apr 23, 2018 at 3:34 PM

I’ll go with the same team as last week but with Slimani starting instead of Gayle.

2-0 to us.

• ben.g

Apr 23, 2018 at 3:37 PM

I’ve said it the last two games so I’ll say it for tonight. Id be happy with a draw. (Secretly thinking we will win)

• RobLeenio

Apr 23, 2018 at 3:40 PM

I think 3-0 to us tonight. Mind, I predicted the same for Arsenal so probably not the most reliable. I just have a feeling we’re about to get some results which will really make the rest of the League sit up and notice.

• ben.g

Apr 23, 2018 at 3:42 PM

I thought Slimani would start last week. I wonder if Rafa will really tinker with the team. Anyone think Josh Murphy will start?
    Might be a bit harsh dropping Richie. Maybe 20 mins at the end when we’re 3-0 up!!!

• ben.g

Apr 23, 2018 at 3:45 PM

I hope so Rob. I like to be cautious. Then I’m more pleased when we win. Ha ha.
    That’s what I tell myself anyway

• G

Apr 23, 2018 at 3:53 PM

I think the reason our form has been good lately is down to the consistency. I would go with the same line up as the last few games, and make some subs at the last 20mins or so. Once we have secured our prem status I reckon Rafa will tinker with the team a bit more.

• JackBall

Apr 23, 2018 at 4:08 PM

Everton looked bad in their last match against Swansea. Have not been more confident of a win in a while. 3-1 toon.

• RobLeenio

Apr 23, 2018 at 4:28 PM

Good man JackBall

ben.g, grow some cojones and get with the hype….

😉

• ben.g

Apr 23, 2018 at 4:38 PM

Ha ha. Rob
    I’m sticking with I’d be happy with a point.

• RobLeenio

Apr 23, 2018 at 4:39 PM

fair play ben.g, lets hope we’re all pleasantly surprised this evening, eh?

• Bobbybee

Apr 23, 2018 at 4:39 PM

Be surprised if Slimani doesn’t start every game now. Five games left to decide if he fancies him or not, so if he doesn’t start him he might already have made his mind up.
    We know what Gayle can and can’t do. Ditto Joselu. We’ve had a few potentially exciting glimpses of Slimani in his cameos, so I can only see him starting tonight.
    That said, I thought so last week. 🙂 We need to see what he can do from the off. If he tires himself out fair enough, we’ll have cover. Turn him loose on Everton. See how many times he can embarrass the mackem.