Rafa Interested in Striker Who Has Dreamed Of Playing For Newcastle

Newcastle have long been interested in Hull City striker Abel Hernandez who will be a free agent at the end of June.

And the Mail today is reporting that Newcastle are one of the clubs interested in signing the 27-year-old in the summer; he has been capped 27 times for Uruguay with 11 goals.

Hernandez hasn’t played much football in the Championship this season, and he finally recovered in March from a severely ruptured Achilles.

Newcastle were interested in signing this player when he was playing for Palermo back in 2014, but he eventually signed for Hull City and has had an average time of it with the Yorkshire club.

Abel Hernandez – is Rafa really interested?

According to a report in Uruguayan news website Ovation Digital back in the summer of 2014, Abel was dreaming of playing at Newcastle and the two Madrid clubs – Real and Atletico.

“I dream of Newcastle, Real or Atletico for the future.”

But the Uruguayan has been in good form since he returned to the Hull City first team and has scored five goals in eight appearances and this season has scored 8 goals in 10 appearances.

But we are not sure whether Rafa rates the 27-year-old as good enough for Newcastle – but we shall see.

Since joining Hull City in the summer of 2014, he has played 110 games with 39 goals and 10 assists.

If Newcastle do sign Hernandez, it’s because Rafa can see something in this player and he can get him to do a job for Newcastle.

What do you think?

How Will Newcastle Fare Against West Brom?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• DubaiMicky

Apr 26, 2018 at 9:46 AM

A free transfer with a one in three games/goals conversion rate.

Is someone setting us up for massive disappointment?

• jazzyp

Apr 26, 2018 at 9:54 AM

Expect the same old same old lads and ya won’t be disappointed. A leopard never changes it’s spots and a false dawn has been claimed to many times under Ashleys tenure

• elpaso_geordie

Apr 26, 2018 at 10:01 AM

Get him in on a free for depth . Good gamble for me as he has ability and good age . Then we sell gayle for between 12 -15 million to add to Monrovia sale and that life a 35 million striker we can buy . No brainer for me .

• lochinvar

Apr 26, 2018 at 10:03 AM

Of course Hernandez wants to play for Newcastle. It’s an easy move up the east coast bypassing Boro and the Mackems on the way.
    More money, high profile club, superb Manager and a chance to play again.
    However he’s recovering from an Achilles injury which takes time and a lot of rehab and conditioning so maybe he’s heard that Ashley is investing £50m in a state of the art world class Training and Sports Injury facility which would help his recovery. Makes sense at least in his mind.

• barkel

Apr 26, 2018 at 10:06 AM

As much as I’d like to be optimistic about it, I can’t see us spending big. We won’t be getting much in on player sales, the exception might be Mitro, 15-20mil maybe. Everyone else will leave for a small fee, free or back out on loan. I’d be shocked if we took in more than 30mil and I expect us to have about 30mil to spend. I hope I’m wrong but I cant see anything else at the moment. I guess we’ll get a striker in and maybe a couple of freebies and a loan or two

• DaveD1000

Apr 26, 2018 at 10:33 AM

Interesting and he is no doubt one of the 253 we will be linked with in the coming months. I think I will just trust Rafa to be a little divil and surprise us all.

• G

Apr 26, 2018 at 10:38 AM

I’m fairly certain I read somewhere that Hull have another year option on his contract? Or did he only sign for Hull initially on a 3 year deal, and the year option has already been taken?

• Geordie-john

Apr 26, 2018 at 10:50 AM

Just up our street ANOTHER recovering crock for free but will end up costing us dearly one way or another. How many of these have we had over the years. Then the percentage of decent one’s that came through the recovery stage to be either sold on or whatever. UNLESS ! Rafa knows something we don’t !

• Moonraker15