Newcastle Legend In Awe Of The Unbelievable Rafa Benitez

Paul Gascoigne was seen enjoying the Arsenal game when we beat Arsenal for the first time since back in early November 2010.

It was the first time we had beaten them at St. James’ Park since 2005.

Rafa was told about Paul enjoying the Arsenal game and Paul’s one of the best players Newcastle have ever produced – we could do with him in the side today!

Paul Gascoigne – when he played for Newcastle – circa 1988

This is what Rafa said about Paul:

“It’s important for somebody like him who has been so important in football to settle down off the pitch.”

“If everything is fine for him now that’s good news. I don’t know him personally but I was following him when he was a player.”

“He was a great player.”

And now Gazza has been interviewed by the BBC today and he has said he hopes owner Mike Ashley will match Rafa’s huge ambitions for Newcastle to make the club one of the best in Europe.

This is what Paul said to the BBC:

“Rafa Benitez is an unbelievable manager and coach.” What he’s achieved on his CV is incredible.”

“They’ve got to keep hold of him – I think I read a little bit in the paper that they’ve got to give him money to spend – and they’ve got to.”

“If you want to match Man City, Man United, and teams like that, they’ve got to give him money to spend.”

“They’ve got the money as well – he’s not going to buy players just for the sake of it, he’ll buy players for different positions to strengthen the team.”

“So they need to give him the money, otherwise they’re going to lose an unbelievable manager.”

Hopefully, Rafa is looking for somebody that has Paul’s ability – but maybe that’s asking too much.

It’s a pity we cannot bring another local lad like Paul Gascoigne through the club – but that’s what Rafa will try to do over the next few years.

Howay The Lads!!

How Will Newcastle Fare Against West Brom?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• lesh

Apr 27, 2018 at 3:45 PM

Jeez Ed, I know you’re fighting fit but rattling posts of at this rate, you’re leaving us owld pharts behind!

I’m knackered trying to keep up.

😉

• Jib

Apr 27, 2018 at 3:57 PM

Don’t forget 19.45 tonight
    Aleksandar Mitrovic
    vs
    Sunderland

• Bobbybee

Apr 27, 2018 at 3:57 PM

Nobody knows what’s happening. I’ve yet to see a source for this increase in Ashley’s valuation. Has there been one anybody? It came out as a rumour and as always is now an treated as an accepted fact.
    We probably won’t know either until something happens. January was a joke. Just rumour after rumour and contrived meetings and clenched fists for the press.
    Until I hear differently Ashley will own the club and Rafa will manage. The rest is just BS imo.
    Seems both parties agree on something – the club has to pay for itself – so we’ve got a starting point.
    My guess – and it is a guess – is Rafa will get sales money and a top up from above. 60-80m.
    With what we have that should improve the team for next season enough to keep Rafa happy.
    If anyone gets itk info I’ll listen with an open mind, but won’t be drawn either way. Time will tell without adding any drama.
    No point getting stressed either way. Ashley will do what Ashley wants to do and is capable of shocking own goals. He’s also surprised us on occasions. That’s Ashley. Unpredictable to a fault.

• hibbit

Apr 27, 2018 at 4:03 PM

Bobbybee
    i’m pretty sure ITK information won’t be shared on this platform this time round as it created to much bad feeling and some crazy abuse

• Pottsclock

Apr 27, 2018 at 4:05 PM

Totally agree Bobbybee. No confirmed source for the £400m. No clarity on whether it includes the £129m load from Ashley to the club. All speculation.
    The good news is that discussions are underway, which for me is positive from both sides.

• hibbit

Apr 27, 2018 at 4:05 PM

Jib
    for the record i dont give two hoots what a tosser like you says does or thinks.

• RobLeenio

Apr 27, 2018 at 4:12 PM

Bobby, as ever, you’re the voice of reason. You’re absolutely right re no official sources for anything at all, whatever we think we know is a product of piecing together rumour, conjecture and opinion from any number of different sources, giving it a shake and then interpreting it however we want.

Yet, and yet – when the gaffer tells you he’s talking to the club about a new deal, that won’t just pique our interest, that will get many different people from many different locations around the World looking in our direction. Players, sponsors, other clubs and… potential buyers.

Who knows, there could be a buy-out imminent and Ashley has nothing to do with Rafa’s hopes for the club’s future ambition. Or, Ashley could be feeling ambitious as he thinks he’s hit on a winning formula and plans to shaft us once more down the line. Or again, maybe he thinks getting Rafa on a long-term deal is the best way to sell the club for the best price possible.

Feet on the ground, Bobby – but my head’s in the clouds at the moment, I can’t help it.

• lochinvar

Apr 27, 2018 at 4:21 PM

Home Alone tonight so might splash out £7.99 on NowTV to watch Fulham against the other lot. Reckless I know but might be fun.

• lochinvar

Apr 27, 2018 at 4:25 PM

Hardly new news I think, but worth noting.
    Newcastle United have sent scouts to watch Norwich City’s Josh Murphy, according to the Chronicle.
    The Magpies sent head of recruitment Steve Nickson to watch the winger in Norwich’s 1-1 draw at Sunderland earlier this month.

• lochinvar

Apr 27, 2018 at 4:28 PM

Newcastle teenage scores wonder goal

• Bobbybee

Apr 27, 2018 at 4:39 PM

I’ll just sit back and watch and wait and see. At the end of the day, I’ll renew my ST and continue to give my support to the lads on the pitch. They’re what matters imo and as long as they give 100% – as they have under Rafa – they’ll have SJP behind them. As it should be.
    Reading between the lines I think Rafa will be happy as long as he’s allowed to improve the team where and when he sees fit. It won’t happen overnight, it will be a gradual improvement over seasons until we, can challenge for trophies.
    As long as that happens I don’t care who owns us. SJH apart, they’ve all been greedy. Rich people wanting to be richer – it’s how they work. Remember what the Venky’s were going to do for Blackburn? Football is unpredictable, owners even more so.
    I would like to see Ashley gone because his time’s up, but I can’t make it happen so I ain’t stressing over him.
    I look at it like this: if some rich person genuinely wants to take us forward, bring it on. It will either happen on it won’t and nothing I can do can make it go either way.
    Even if we get new owners I’ll be just as sceptical until I see genuine movement. The very rich are generally assholes after all. 🙂

• chicousa

Apr 27, 2018 at 4:44 PM

The source of the 400m £ valuation? I know it definitely….

Ashley’s ar$e!
    🙂

• Rotonda heights

Apr 27, 2018 at 5:07 PM

No we can’t trust a word the club says, but it’s a bit rich coming from people who constantly said, ”trust me, the takeover was a ‘done deal”!!

• Jib

Apr 27, 2018 at 5:29 PM

Rotonda
    Who are you referring too ?
    Shock horror
    Hibbit may be a gobshite !!!!!

Chico
    Just been watching Giannis
    Don’t know if you follow it
    but
    Fear the Deer

• Bobbybee

Apr 27, 2018 at 5:32 PM

Well, according to Adrian Durham, he’s just been informed from a reliable source Rafa won’t be here next season.
    Oh, forgot to add – he’s a bit of a nob. 🙂

• hibbit

Apr 27, 2018 at 5:33 PM

Rotonda heights
    fair do’s we know where you stand.
    what i put up on here i did in good faith,
    but never again will i share

• hibbit

Apr 27, 2018 at 5:34 PM

not as big as one as you jib

• Jib

Apr 27, 2018 at 5:36 PM

Bobby
    nob means posh
    knob means prick
    I believe you meant the latter

😀

• chicousa

Apr 27, 2018 at 5:42 PM

Jib,
    Giannis is a “freak of nature”!

• lesh

Apr 27, 2018 at 5:47 PM

Rafa not here next season?

Rangers looking for a new manager?

Now there’s a project for Rafa to get his teeth into.

Just a thought

• lesh

Apr 27, 2018 at 5:54 PM

Hibbit

Don’t get involved in a slanging match. What’s gone by has gone by yet the clowns still drag the take over talk up.

• Jib

Apr 27, 2018 at 5:56 PM

Chico
    My wife teaches a Nigerian kid Spanish
    He’s 17 and 6’5″ he wants to play baloncesto
    for Barcelona – he’s a lovely lad .
    Could be Giannis markII !

• chicousa

Apr 27, 2018 at 6:56 PM

If America could get a significant portion of their elite athletes to focus on the beautiful game instead of American football, basketball and baseball, I reckon they could develop into a World Cup contender fairly quickly!

• Tsunki

Apr 27, 2018 at 6:59 PM

For all we know the takeover may yet be a done deal, it’s equally as likely that PCP were quite happy to stall until they could see the club was safe. I don’t think Ashley’s valuation will change at all unless he starts pumping money into the club and I very much doubt that tbh. If talks resume as soon as the season ends i would not be surprised.

• Tsunki

Apr 27, 2018 at 7:02 PM

There are some sports I cannot fathom the attraction for. Cricket is one, and it’s cross Atlantic counterpart baseball is another. They seem like a good way to observe longevity in action or stress-test insomnia but hey that’s just me. Some folks find crown green bowling highly stimulating. 🙂

• chicousa

Apr 27, 2018 at 7:13 PM

Yep to each their own. Cricket?? You mean the little bugs that make that scratchy noise? 😉

• Jail for Ashley

Apr 27, 2018 at 7:13 PM

Tsunki,
    Mind you, a day in Durham on the fourth day of the fourth test of the Ashes drinking lager in the sun from 11AM onwards isn’t a bad way to spend a day.

• Jib

Apr 27, 2018 at 7:28 PM

Leicester Tigers vs Newcastle Falcons
    about to KO if you want to talk proper
    sports

• Tsunki

Apr 27, 2018 at 7:33 PM

Jail it’s called anaesthesia. Highly recommended though.

• GeordieTwo

Apr 27, 2018 at 7:33 PM

G’day lads. Word on the street is that Ashley is a tightwad budgie fondler. Discuss….

• GeordieTwo

Apr 27, 2018 at 7:34 PM

Rugby’s good. Cricket? Not so much….

• GeordieTwo

Apr 27, 2018 at 7:37 PM

Taking the tightwad issue first, we have mucho evidencia that Asher’s is very tight fisted and doesn’t get the purse open much. But Rafa is a big vchallenge for him. Stay mean with the cash and lose Rafa and possibly get relegated next season or open up the purse and watch the club grow and succeed. Or sell up. There you have it lads.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Apr 27, 2018 at 7:37 PM

At the risk of sounding a bit perverse, I’d like to see Sundaland win tonight.

My thinking being that I’d prefer Cardiff to get the second automatic spot and see a non London club win the play offs.

Nowt against Fulham, although I suspect they’ll be another London club getting preferential treatment with National stadia.

• GeordieTwo

Apr 27, 2018 at 7:38 PM

As for the budgie fondling allegations we only have the word of Tsunki on that. He was at the scene of the crime apparently….

• GeordieTwo

Apr 27, 2018 at 7:40 PM

A very shadowy group, the budgie fondlers. This is a case for beer monkey….

• Moonraker15

Apr 27, 2018 at 7:40 PM

Here goes! Watching Fulham hopefully mullah Slumberland and Mitrovic to score a hat trick!

• GeordieTwo

Apr 27, 2018 at 7:41 PM

It’s good to see Gazza oot and aboot by the way… Were those his sons with him at the Everton match?

• Essex Geordie Bill

Apr 27, 2018 at 7:42 PM

For high energy sports that really gets the pulse racing there’s nowt to beat snooker or darts. Some of the finest physical specimens ever have been participants in these non Olympic activities.

• Jail for Ashley

Apr 27, 2018 at 7:43 PM

Jiblets,
    Will you be watching it with Sting or Tony Blair?

• Tsunki