Rafa Talks Long Term Future – It’s Taking Too Long To Reach An Agreement

It seems that Rafa Benitez is almost crying out for Mike Ashley to agree to his requests for more money and for the owner to match his high ambitions for the football club.

But Rafa is not saying too much about things at the moment and when he was asked whether he would stay at Newcastle yesterday – he said that is a tricky question.

Lee Charnley has been talking with Rafa’s reps for the last two weeks – so how long are they going to spend before they agree to Rafa requests and get him signed up?

It’s starting to look like Newcastle trying to sign a player in the transfer market when negotiations usually go on and on and on.

Rafa Benitez – wants the deal done quickly

Only Newcastle could delay signing a world-class manager who wants to stay at the club and put us back as one of the top clubs in England.

This is some of what Rafa said yesterday when asked if he would sign for the club:

“That is a tricky question.”

“I said in an interview the other day on the BBC that I decided to stay because of the potential, the fans and the city, then we have to do what we have to do.”

“I would be happier just thinking about my team, my players, the tactics, analyzing other teams and improving players.”

“But in modern football and especially in the Premier League, the budget is crucial.”

“So you see a club like Man City, an amazing coach with an amazing team and they could not win last year.”

“They had to spend a lot of money to win. The reality is with the prices in the market now, you need the money to compete.”

“Sometimes people think that is negative but I think it is a positive because it means you care. So I am not thinking about myself.”

“At Valencia, they said “we will give you this player and you can make him into a proper player” so sometimes it is negative against me because I can work with players and improve them.”

“And they think you do not need to spend too much money. But if you want to go to another level you need more quality.”

Benitez wants this thing cleared up as quickly as possible so the news during the summer is not whether he’s going to stay or leave.

We need to get him signed up to a long term contract and quickly too; it’s unthinkable the club could screw this up.

Newcastle currently have an opportunity to agree to whatever he wants and back him big time – and sign him up soon.

There are other top clubs just waiting to pounce if Newcastle do manage to screw this up.

Why does it always take Newcastle so long to reach agreements?

How Will Newcastle Fare At Watford?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• scout

May 5, 2018 at 9:09 AM

Why would Ashley be bothered about the next level? He has no ambition in my eyes. He would take survival each season the free advertising and the Premier League money keeps rolling in.
    Happy days, as a fan I would like to see what Benitez could do with a couple of 100 million transfer windows.

Anyone wanting to earn a few bob today Newcastle to score one and get 4 or more corners 5/4 at Slybet, Watford bang out of form.

• Ron Knee

May 5, 2018 at 9:12 AM

I don’t think Watford are mathematically safe yet so this could be a tough match for us.

• Munster Mag

May 5, 2018 at 9:16 AM

As I was saying a few nights ago, the negotiations really shouldn’t take this long. I will bet that the sticking point is where the budget is supposed to include wages, which of course is ludicrous. We need that ‘if Rafa signs I sign’ campaign to kick off

• AncientC

May 5, 2018 at 9:20 AM

“The reality is with the prices in the market now, you need the money to compete.”

“In modern football and especially in the Premier League, the budget is crucial.”

Oh how things have changed for Ashley since Pardew. The proverbial milk float is steady going, but purchase yourself a Ferrari, and…

• AncientC

May 5, 2018 at 9:25 AM

From last night. Jail for Ashley:

“I don’t know what’s more galling, Ancient bragging on a footballing blog that Corbyn has votes or Mag52 gloating on an nufc blog that “Pards” has won an FA cup tie at Lpool.
    For the record I am neither pro or anti Corbyn and come from a working class mining family in Tyne and Wear formerly known as Durham.”

Don’t get pissed up and talk politics, Davey. You really make yourself look like the fool that Jib makes you out to be. *Pats Davey on his bald head*

• ArtyH

May 5, 2018 at 9:30 AM

Reading between the lines Rafa just does not trust TFCB and is hedging his bets until things are in writing, he will not be fooled again. Who in their right mind would trust TFCB and his miserable brown nosers, proven liars in court, a recipe for disaster and I doubt Rafa will change the formula sadly.

• mactoon

May 5, 2018 at 11:18 AM

@munstermag Comment #3

“the sticking point is where the budget is supposed to include wages”

Not sure I understand this comment. The budget for transfers includes several elements including player transfer fee, any signing on fee, wages, agents fees and so on. It’s not just a case of paying £20 million for a player.

With regards to Rafa’s funds it would be a step in the right direction to let Rafa spend any money he gets in from player sales as we have quite a few that are surplus to his requirements.