He’s Our Man Of The Match – And Deserves Congratulations This Year

In mid-December, Jonjo Shelvey picked up his second red card of the season.

It was our home game against Everton, and it was way into stoppage time when he managed to pick up a second yellow card and was dismissed.

His discipline has always been a problem, but Rafa came out and said the club would get help for Jonjo in anger management.

And since then Jonjo Shelvey has not only played his best football for Newcastle and helped our survival this year, but he’s been quite disciplined.

Of course, he’s walking a thin line, and the next red card and the papers will be full of it again.

Jonjo Shelvey – celebrates Ayoze Perez’ second goal for Newcastle

Let’s hope he can continue to curb his demons on the pitch and if he can do that he has a much better chance of playing again for England.

His ability has never been in question.

He’s our Man of the Match with 37% of the vote followed by his central midfield partner Mo Diame, who had another sterling game in the middle of the park.

Perez got a brace and finished top scorer for the season with 10 goals – 8 of which came in the Premier League.

In the last two seasons, Perez has 12 goals and 10 goals under Rafa – the best he has done at Newcastle since he arrived from Tenerife back in 2014 for €2M.

Next in the voting is goalkeeper Martin Dubravka and we have to thank the Slovakian INternational for two excellent saves in the second half to keep us in the game and preserve the clean sheet.

It’s the sign of a good goalkeeper when he can come up with two terrific saves when he has had little to do.

Expect Rafa to move quickly to sign Dubravka to a permanent deal.

Our understanding is the fee is €4M, and that’s in addition to the €2M loan deal.

It was a terrific win yesterday, and also the performance was excellent to end the season on a high.

Great stuff!

Who Was Newcastle's Man Of The Match Against Chelsea?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• lesh

May 14, 2018 at 2:26 PM

Bettys

• Lee Charnley Bunga Party

May 14, 2018 at 2:27 PM

Shelvey is playing his most consistent football of his career at the moment !

Used to go missing in games and get involved in silly stuff but he is now influencing every game with creating chances and controlling midfield ! Just needs to add some goals to his game now !

• G

May 14, 2018 at 2:45 PM

I was one of the fans suggesting we should sell Shelvey in January if anybody offered us cash for him. Delighted to eat my words on this one, as he’s been brilliant with Diame in midfield since then. Right now I wouldn’t let him go unless anybody offered us ridiculous money, and even then I would only sell begrudgingly.

• lesh

May 14, 2018 at 2:45 PM

Bettys (this time)

C’mon Bettys, loony left infiltrators and reds under blog’s bed?

Hallelujah paranoia.

Anyway enough of this claptrap.

We’ve a great club and a great manager but an owner whose sole focus is money.
    Surely efforts’d be best directed at getting Ashley to see some sense and share and support the ambitions of Rafa and our great fans.

• bettyswallocks

May 14, 2018 at 2:55 PM

Lesh…………. Ok . Most of what I post to you is tongue in cheek as well you know but I do think you take every opportunity to make a political comment. Anyway as you say we have bigger fish to fry so how do you suggest we convince Mr. Ashley to give Rafa more backing.

• RobLeenio

May 14, 2018 at 3:11 PM

Building on the left-wing activist theme, let’s blockade his depots and sing We Shall Not Be Moved until he hands over the keys to the castle to Rafa. I’m sure I can rustle up a placard suitable for waving in his face. I think it’s traditional to include a couple of ladies with more facial hair than Geoff Capes, not sure my missus is available but I can always ask.

• Bobbybee

May 14, 2018 at 3:17 PM

Just recovering from yesterday. 🙂 What a great day to be in SJP and watch Chelsea get humiliated, as their ‘fans’ streamed out after the hour. All is not rosy in South West London.
    Atmosphere was excellent. How it used to be – something that has been slowly edging back into the ground as the season progressed.
    Could/should have won by a rugby score, but let’s not quibble. The lads were imperious. A casual observer would’ve wondered which side was pushing for a CL spot. We made them look average.
    Great send off by the fans as well. Makes it more difficult for players to leave, they must’ve enjoyed that.
    So now it’s over to Ashley. If the 80m is for real I see no reason Rafa will be unhappy with that. Just get him signed up and stand back.

• Mag :P

May 14, 2018 at 3:28 PM

To push on next season we need signings in these areas.

____________Dubravka
    Yedlin_Lascelles_Lejuene_New LB
    __________Diame_Shelvey
    New RM_____Perez____New LM
    _____________New ST

I still think Dummett, Ritchie and Merino are great challengers for the LB, RM and CDM spot however I feel like we definitely need a new front line with quality.

The bench in my mind would look something like this:

Darlow
    Dummett
    Clark
    Merino
    New ST
    Ritchie
    Murphy

I can imagine all three of Mitro, Gayle and Joselu leaving. Meaning we would need to sign 2 new strikers. And keeping one of Toney or Armstrong as back up.

I feel like perez has been improving all season and with better attacking players around him I can imagine him being great in that number 10 role. He’s hit 10 goals this season from CAM with lacklustre quality around him. It’s no coincidence his form came into a hot streak when Kenedy arrived.

• chicousa

May 14, 2018 at 3:32 PM

DubaiMicky,
    The singer and songwriter of the tune which you changed lyrics to for your “Quincy Promes” dity was Amy Winehouse (“Me and Mister Jones”).

Interesting side note is that as we all know there is a very famous Quincy in the music world with last name Jones! 🙂

(I know, I know, too much free time on my hands, right?) 😉

• hibbit

May 14, 2018 at 3:35 PM

as you say Bobby fantastic atmosphere yesterday absolutely loved it
    Geordeeee’s Geordeeee’s Geordeeee’s

Bobby what happens if it’s not true about the 80m and this is just another publicity stunt i just don’t trust Ashley

• RobLeenio

May 14, 2018 at 3:41 PM

Chico – the original was Billy Paul back in the 70s – Me and Mrs Jones. Great song, great voice. I sing it (very badly) at karaoke once a decade

• bettyswallocks

May 14, 2018 at 3:45 PM

Bobby……… Can’t remember the ground rocking like it did second half for a long time. I didn’t think some of the more reserved ones had it in em. Would love some European nights back at SJP, I think we could match Anfield for atmosphere . I was a bit envious when watching the Scousers at home to Athletico the other night.

• chicousa

May 14, 2018 at 3:47 PM

Rob,
    Thanks for the song writer correction. I liked the Amy Winehouse version….what a tragic loss of a huge talent! 🙁

• bettyswallocks

May 14, 2018 at 3:48 PM

Rob Leenio…….. Good idea for the activists. I’m sure Lesh can muster some of his cronies to form a demo they’ve got sod all else to do.

Only joking Lesh couldn’t resist.

• Charlie in the Gallowgate

May 14, 2018 at 3:53 PM

Hibbit

Was brilliant Geordies ring around the ground
    long time since it was like that and what I wrote last night….

Just got in from match
    Buzzin, Buzzin – We had fun we had fun we had Chelsea on the run – all game.
    Never seen way fans leave like the Chelsea fans after the hour

Totally outplayed Chelsea from beginning to end

Great atmosphere all game and a brilliant touch from the fans when Geordeeeees, Geordeeees rang out around the ground and the Gallowgate fell silent as you heard Geordeeeees, Geordeeees ring around the ground.

Merit marks

Dubravka – 8.5 -Had nowt to do yet kept us in the game with two World class saves just after half time when Chelsea were pressing – brilliant
    Yedlin – 8 – Had an excellent game got up and down the pitch along with Ritchie kept Chelsea at bay all game
    Lascalles – 8 another who had a very good game.
    Lejuene 9.5 – A pleasure to watch his silky skills today – reads the game well and great interceptions and passer and volleyed cross for our third from Shelvey’s freekick.
    Dummett – 7 – probably our weakest defender today – Moses got round him to easy a couple of times burt stuck to his task
    Shelvey. – 9.5 – Brilliant today long balls short balls tackles chips and great training ground free kick for our third goal. Should be on the plane to Russia
    Diame. – 10 – Man of the Match for me – did everything right from tackling closing down players and today his passing was the best I have seen from him. Standing Ovation when he was subbed
    Ritchie – 8 – Worked our right with Yedlin today not giving Chelsea a sniff
    Perez – 9.5 – Just pipped for MOM by Diame linked defence with attack chased and harried Chelsea all game and scored a couple to boot
    Gayle. – 7 – Battled away and in the right place to score from keepers save. Got injured first half and seemed to struggle for the rest of the game before being subbed.
    Murphy – 7 – some decent runs but tends to turn back on himself – most likely lacking a bit of confidence to go past his defender.
    sub
    Joselu. – 5 -Did well when he came on

Crowd TOON FANS 10 – Brilliant all game
    Chelsea 1 – for travelling here Pathetic never heard them and left on the hour – dear dear me

Footnote – hope Newcastle MP Chuka Umunna enjoyed the game – and the atmosphere – was in the Gallowgate End

• Ron Knee

May 14, 2018 at 3:53 PM

“Casey Jones
    Steamin’ and rollin’
    Casey Jones
    You never have to guess
    When you hear the tootin’ of the whistle
    It’s Casey at the throttle of the Cannonball Express”

• dig-n-dig22

May 14, 2018 at 3:56 PM

If Ashley sanctions £80/100Mill transfers for new signings, then if Ashley is true too his word there will be £80/100Mill shipped out through the EXIT door before we can buy ” We must balance the books”

• RobLeenio

May 14, 2018 at 3:57 PM

Chico, nowt’s the bother marra. I may have exaggerated when I said I sing it once a decade, I think I sang it once.

Still, it was a sight to behold. Lots of deaf cats and traumatised babies.

Maybe I should reprise it down in Shirebrook ad infinitum till Ashley gets the hint. Don’t worry, Shire – I’ll bring some earplugs for you and your family and any other Bolsover-based Toon fans

• Bobbybee

May 14, 2018 at 4:05 PM

Sorry Hibbett, got side tracked.
    I don’t trust him either. Who does? The 80m rumour was in full swing yesterday in the crowd around me,which is why I mention it.
    My point was IF – big if – it is true, I think Rafa would snap his hand off.
    Not many clubs will spend more than that – usual suspects apart – and he could improve the team greatly.
    If it ain’t true, it’s just another in the long line.
    Rafa wants to stay. We want him to stay. Ashley wants him to stay because he adds to the value. Surely with that background something can be worked out?

• lochinvar

May 14, 2018 at 4:06 PM

Some years ago I recall we played Chelsea I guess in a FA Cup match and before and after the match encountered numerous so called Chelsea fans prancing around with their inflatable toy FA cups which in between their prawn sandwiches (no sarnies for them) they took great delight in waving about in our faces.

A look at their blogs and Twitter comments today shows Chelsea tourists (fans) in complete and utter meltdown and wanting rid of Conte, half the team and even Abramovic because he’s not spending at the level they want to compete with Man City ! Ha, that’s rich or not so rich now as the case might be.
    Knowing that Spurs are in the ascendency and Arsenal about to relaunch and Burnley hot on their tails is tearing them apart.

Karma took it’s time but it’s arrived for them.

Anyway they can fill their new stadium with the type of tourists that were seen on MOTD at the Spurs game returning to their seats with buckets of pop corn after half time and missing two goals. Sad, but for many football in London is now becoming a tick box attraction alongside Madam Tussauds. Just as well Crystal Palace fans are maintaining some sort of standard in the capital.

Ah well, mustn’t grumble.

• chicousa

May 14, 2018 at 4:07 PM

One of the small frustrations being 8 hours behind most of the bloggers on here, is I am sleeping during the hours when some really good or funny comments are posted. One this morning that made me spit my coffee was the one from Nicky the ball tosser:

“I’m one of those fans who apparently can’t see through Ashley’s bs, and I don’t consider myself particularly gullible, although there was that house I worked 15 solid years to pay for that my first wife ended up with lock, stock and barrel, mmmm, but I digress…”

The digression was absolutely hilarious!

• lochinvar

May 14, 2018 at 4:10 PM

Ron@16
    Not wishing to steal your thunder but we covered that one a few hours ago …..great minds etc etc

Come all you bounders if you want to hear
    The story of a great footballer
    He’s the greatest of them all they claim
    Number one his engine Quincy Promes his name

Quincy Promes
    Steamin’ and rollin’
    Quincy Promes
    You never have to guess
    When you hear the tootin’ of the whistle
    It’s Quincy at the throttle of the Toonarmy Express

• Ron Knee

May 14, 2018 at 4:16 PM

lochinvar

Sorry – senior moment there! I got a bit confused with people quoting the Billy Paul song.

• NUFCadon

May 14, 2018 at 4:19 PM

If we do have a £80m/100m I think its safe to say one of the key signing everyone would like to see is a goalscorer. Who would people go after?

• chicousa

May 14, 2018 at 4:21 PM

Rob,
    I know what you mean re: your karaoke “challenges”. Whenever I get up there (rarely) to me I think I totally nail whatever song I have attempted to sing! I’m always a bit surprised that nobody asks for an encore…;)

• lochinvar

May 14, 2018 at 4:23 PM

RonKnee and all,
    From songs to flags. Hats off to the lads and lasses doing an amazing job with The Flags. Not only helping the team and atmosphere but attracting works wide attention.

• Jib

May 14, 2018 at 4:25 PM

His name is pronounced Prom Mess ffs

Proams ffs

• Jib

May 14, 2018 at 4:32 PM

Sting was amazed one night in a club in LA to see
    Robert Downey jnr karaoking one of his songs
    It ended up with invite for Ironman

Keep it up lads you never know who is watching

• lesh

May 14, 2018 at 4:39 PM

Bettys, Robleeno

The demos gathering pace – they’ll be at Shirebrook soon – police permitting. Ashley’ll not know what’s hit him and unless he agrees to Rafa’s terms well, there’s no knowing what next.

• lesh

May 14, 2018 at 4:42 PM

Boobybee

I posted a few threads back to ask you, given the state of your back, whether you knew of any travel insurance companies that can be relied on not to charge the earth and can be relied on not too try to wriggle out of paying out if need be.

Of course Bobby’ll not be the only one with experience of travel insurance cover so any guidance’d be appreciated

• lesh

May 14, 2018 at 4:46 PM

Nickytheballtosser

Ashley’s promises have been shown to nowt but bullchit!

• RobLeenio

May 14, 2018 at 4:47 PM

Oh, for the days when “5 small convoys of hippies, destination unknown” was sufficient to make national news headlines – a more innocent time, I think.

The hirsute lasses in that convoy would definitely qualify for Shirebrook blockade duty. Get them signed up!

• lochinvar

May 14, 2018 at 4:49 PM

Jib – because we care

• Bobbybee

May 14, 2018 at 4:58 PM

Lesh, must’ve missed that mate. Can’t help you there mate, just the thought of a long journey brings me out in a cold sweat. 🙂 Can’t imagine I’ll be ever doing another long journey. Driving into Newcastle and back is long enough for me mate! Have you checked ‘Which?’

• chicousa

May 14, 2018 at 5:05 PM

Jib,
    Good video there of Robert Downey Jr. singing with Sting! Why do some people get all the talent? Damn him!

• Bobbybee

May 14, 2018 at 5:11 PM

Betty, aye, European nights are special. Imagine a CL semi Final leg at SJP? Yep, we’d match Anfield alright, then some. If Rafa stays I genuinely think we’ll win a trophy or two. I’ll take that.

Looks like Moyes’ future isn’t at West Ham. I can’t see Rafa going there though. I’m still quietly confident he’ll stay with us. Ashley needs Rafa if he wants to sell and Rafa wants to see out his project. I think they’ll reach some agreement. No inside info, just good old gut reaction.

• Nicky the ball tosser

May 14, 2018 at 5:16 PM

Lesh, I don’t see him backtracking on his every last penny commitment simply because it’s not in his or the club’s interest to do so. It’s not that I trust him, it’s that I think it’s his only real option. Beyond that it gets a bit iffier. “Every last penny” translated to around 30 million net last term, which is a believable sum, considering our relegation. This term it would be significantly more. I am expecting 50 to 50 mill net spend, but I’m often wrong about Newcastle, so we’ll see. I pay attention, but you can only glean so much.

• Nicky the ball tosser

May 14, 2018 at 5:18 PM

……50 to 60 mill net spend…

• Bobbybee

May 14, 2018 at 5:21 PM

Nicky, the big Rumour around SJP yesterday was £80m. It is just a Rumour though, I must stress that! Whether that includes sales I don’t know – ti’s the nature of rumours after all.
    I’m happy to sit and wait and see. No point getting stressed out over something that might not happen. Personally I see things being worked out. It makes sense all round.

• DubaiMicky

May 14, 2018 at 5:24 PM

So Jib, it’s more of a “I Promessed you a miracle” rather than “Quincy Promes, Steamin’ and a rollin’”

Well if we can play with Promise and not Jones, we’re well away!

1 2 3 5