Rafa Benitez Gives Newcastle Some Hope

It’s not surprising that Rafa Benitez has ruled out returning to Napoli because he has said many times he wants to be in England and close to his family in the Wirral, Cheshire.

But since that’s one of the clubs said to be interested in hiring him that’s good news for Newcastle.

And as we all know his reps have been negotiating with Lee Charnley for the last three weeks.

Newcastle need to meet most of Rafa’s demands before he will sign a new and extended contract at the club.

If he cannot get any joy from Newcastle owner Mike Ashley – which is always a possibility – it seems that West Ham and former Premier League Champions Leicester City are willing to offer him what he wants to stay in England.

So are Everton FC but there’s no way Rafa would join the Toffees.

Rafa Benitez – while head coach at Napoli 2013-2015

Rafa has been speaking to CalcioNapoli24 and here’s some of what he said as reported in the Chronicle today:

“My future?”

“I’ve heard so much talk, but I haven’t spoken to Napoli Chairman Aurelio de Laurentiis”

“I have a contract with Newcastle, I’m talking to them about my renewal.”

“They made me some offers to stay here for a few more years, plus I have to manage my family.”

“If I decided to go to Newcastle and stay there, even in the Championship, it’s also because of my family.”

“My priority is to stay in England. I’m only talking to Newcastle right now.””

“Many of the Napoli players who have been together for five years have the advantage of understanding each other, without even looking at each other.”

“This gives them an advantage and, with the work of Sarri (Napoli head coach), the team did well, although they didn’t win any trophies, perhaps because Juventus are so strong.”

“They went close this season, but Juventus are very strong and in order to beat them, you have to be close to perfection.”

“After that, you must have that so-called winning mentality because when you’re under pressure, those with more experience can make the difference.”

Rafa has found his stride at Newcastle in the two years he’s been here and he has enhanced his reputation for the excellent work he has done on Tyneside.

Most owners would reward him for that and we are hoping that’s what Mike Ashley will do.

He needs to get him signed up this week and not let these negotiations drag on as they usually do at Newcastle with Mike Ashley as the owner.

That’s one of the things Rafa is trying to change – for Newcastle to be more nimble – especially with our negotiations in the transfer market.

Who Was Newcastle's Man Of The Match Against Chelsea?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• jayphoto

May 14, 2018 at 1:33 PM

one to watch for the summer (completely thought up, but I could see it) Pocchetino to Real Madrid, Benitez to Spurs…
    He’d be the perfect manager for them, improves players, can work within budgets etc
    Can see Madrid giving Zidane the elbow if they fail to beat Liverpool, who honestly look like they have too much pace for me for Madrid to deal with

• lochinvar

May 14, 2018 at 1:34 PM

DubaiMickey (from previous) here you are, close enough ?
    Might be before your time, come to think of it before mine as well , nearly !

Come all you bounders if you want to hear

It’s Quincy at the throttle of the Toonarmy Express

• lochinvar

May 14, 2018 at 1:36 PM

And the original , Rafa’s driving the train

• bettyswallocks

May 14, 2018 at 1:39 PM

Offkey……. I can assure you I am not far right . I have no interest in politics whatsoever, I never vote. What I object to are political infiltrators who think they can go unnoticed. We have to be aware of them creeping up on us.

• Jib

May 14, 2018 at 1:45 PM

Ahh you inward looking little Englanders
    His name is pronounced Prom Ez
    He signed his first pro forms for Twente
    as a 17 year old while Steve McClaren was the manager

• Lee Charnley Bunga Party

May 14, 2018 at 1:45 PM

Spurs coming in for Rafa would be a worry if Pochettino leaves but then all I hear is Pochettino to Madrid??Really?He has won nothing and at times has actually been very tactically naive!! He has started publicly moaning about his transfer budget so him and Levy could clash this summer !

If we can keep the core players of our squad and improve the quality around them we could hit the ground running next season our players now know what is expected at the top level to perform every week.

Everton , Arsenal , Leicester, Chelsea are all in transition with managers and big players leaving we could maybe catch one or two of them next season if properly backed!

Our team is crying out for a striker who is quick, works hard and is good in the air like a Firmino although a proper clinical target man would work as well like Dost.

• DubaiMicky

May 14, 2018 at 1:46 PM

That’s a crap song jib, it doesn’t even rhyme!

• lochinvar

Quincy Promez
    You never have to guezz
    When you hear the tootin’ of the whistle
    It’s Quincy at the throttle of the Toonarmy Exprezz

• jayphoto

May 14, 2018 at 1:56 PM

@Lee charnley – reckon Poccs credibility in Madrid will be high after Spurs ripped madrid to shreds earlier in the season.. Hes come 3rd and to be fair, they pay alot less in transfers and wages than the teams around them, play attractive football etc.. if rumours are to be believed Harry Kane is Madrids top target this summer too….

• DubaiMicky

May 14, 2018 at 2:19 PM

Pocc is 5/4 to be next real manager, next is Joachim Law and Conte, both at 6/1.

No market for next Spurs manager.

• Jib

May 14, 2018 at 2:35 PM

It would be very hard for an Argentinian to knock back
    the chance to manage Real Madrid.

• bettyswallocks

May 14, 2018 at 4:06 PM

Jib……… I did suggest to you the other day that Pochettino might go to Madrid. You were adamant that he wanted to stay and manage Spurs in their new stadium. If he does go I expect you to eat a great big dollop of pie. The type of pie can remain undecided for now.

• BarcelonaMag

May 15, 2018 at 11:31 AM

There’s no suggestion here in Spain that Real Madrid want to get rid of Zidane.They’re delighted with him. They won the Champions League last year in his first full season in charge and will probably do the same this year. I think he’s pretty safe.