Newcastle Star Players Unlucky

Newcastle’s Jonjo Shelvey and Jamaal Lascelles have missed out on a place in England’s World Cup squad.

The England manager Gareth Southgate announced his 23-man squad for next month’s World Cup in Russia and as expected neither player was included.

Jonjo Shelvey and Jamaal Lascelles – miss out on England World Cup squad

Both players have been outstanding for Newcastle this season and on merit deserved to be in the England squad of 23.

Here’s the full squad announced today:

Goalkeepers
Jordan Pickford (Everton)  Jack Butland (Stoke)  Nick Pope (Burnley)

Defenders

Trent Alexander-Arnold (Liverpool) Gary Cahill (Chelsea)  Phil Jones (Manchester United)
Harry Maguire (Leicester) Danny Rose (Tottenham) John Stones (Manchester City) Kieran Trippier (Tottenham)  Kyle Walker (Manchester City)  Ashley Young (Manchester United)

Midfielders

Dele Alli (Tottenham)  Fabian Delph (Manchester City) Eric Dier (Tottenham) Jordan Henderson (Liverpool) Jesse Lingard (Manchester United) Ruben Loftus-Cheek (Chelsea)   Raheem Sterling (Manchester City)

Forwards

Harry Kane (Tottenham)  Marcus Rashford (Manchester United)  Jamie Vardy (Leicester)
Danny Welbeck (Arsenal)

Standby list:

Tom Heaton (Burnley)   James Tarkowski (Burnley)

• Ron Knee

May 16, 2018 at 4:17 PM

Comment on BBC website:

“Wilshere and Shelvey’s exclusion on what basis? Too much creativity for Southgate’s liking? Lost for words how they don’t even make standby over relegated Spurs reject Jake Livermore.”

• bettyswallocks

May 16, 2018 at 4:23 PM

Fans are definitely influencing decisions at many clubs now and insisting on an attacking , entertaining style of play. West Ham and Everton although employing Moyes and Allardyce to avoid relegation would probably have stuck with those two had the fans not made their voices heard. I personally don’t think Moyes did a bad job with the squad he had and unless they spend big they’re not going to suddenly transform and play like Man City.

I can’t imagine our delightful owner paying too much heed to fans opinion but if he doesn’t manage to retain Rafa I think he’s in for a lot more grief than he’s encountered so far from the fans.

• Pitmatic

May 16, 2018 at 4:29 PM

I think Southgate has done a lot of good things since taking the England job, and I don’t think he’s the spineless yes-man that some have portrayed him as, so I’m prepared to give him the benefit of the doubt. But Shelvey’s exclusion looks political. I wouldn’t argue with any of the midfielders in the 23, but for Cook and Livermore – anonymous players at clubs that finished below us – to be on standby ahead of him is a bit of a joke.

Apart from that, Arnold and Welbeck are complete wastes of squad numbers. Neither will get a kick.

Lascelles will get his chance. But probably not until someone has signed him for £40m.

• Pitmatic

May 16, 2018 at 4:47 PM

On that Mitro tweet:

I actually went to the Fulham game on Monday night as it’s just down the road from me. A good game and a decent enough atmosphere – it’s a lovely place to go and watch football, especially when the sun’s out. But the best crowd he’s ever played for?! Hang your head, son.

• toon22

May 16, 2018 at 5:34 PM

It seems if either were on the bench for City they would both be going lol
    In a way its good for the toon as i think either of them would have been snapped up by much bigger clubs after the world cup

Exctly who is going to pass the ball to Vardey on the break ?

• ashleysmate

May 16, 2018 at 6:32 PM

Yes, I suppose our two should have been chosen miles before some of the squad ( my son had to remind me of who one or two of them are) but if they had been picked I was looking at two scenarios which could have arisen…..we have a good world cup ( reach quarter finals)…it all goes to their heads and one of the top four makes an outlandish bid…fat boy rubs his stumpy fingers cashes in and we’ve lost two of our brightest stars…
    We have a crap tournament and it kills our two heroes confidence and leaves them feeling like a mackem…..I’m quietly happy they’re not going….selfish? of course I am
    HWTL

• CACHG

May 16, 2018 at 7:04 PM

Shelvey seemed like an obvious choice to me, cutting passes through defenses and 60yd pinpoint passes to kane and vardy. Makes your mouth water. Madness not to pick him.

Who was the last Toon player to play for England while still at Newcastle, was it Owen ?

• ashleysmate

May 16, 2018 at 7:21 PM

#7
    Was it not S Taylor in some obscure back up role? …maybe wrong but….

• ashleysmate

May 16, 2018 at 7:27 PM

#7
    Can’t believe it but according to the cronic it was Townsend against Australia 2016… bugger me, how time flies eh?