The Fans And The Whole City Of Newcastle Love Rafa

Paul Dummett is the only local lad who has been the first choice left-back since Rafa Benitez came to town.

Paul has also improved so much that he’s now an excellent defensive left back and has had another excellent season playing 22 times for the first team after being out for several months with a serious hamstring injury.

And Paul has joined the growing list of Newcastle players who are asking the club’s hierarchy (that’s code for Mike Ashley) to sign Rafa to a long-term deal.

Paul was interviewed on BBC Newcastle before the news came out last night that West Ham want Rafa and they will offer him whatever he wants to join them this summer.

Rafa Benitez with Paul Dummett

This is what Paul Dummett told BBC Newcastle

“I’ve heard a lot of players say the same thing – that they want the manager to stay,”

“The fans and the whole city love the manager.”

“You can hear that all the time, and you could on Sunday during the win over Chelsea when they were singing for him that they want him to stay.”

“He has one year left, and hopefully the club can tie him down for a longer period of time so that he can build the club and build the team.”

“That will ensure we are stable in the Premier League – and then we can try and push on a little bit.”

Paul has now played 142 times for Newcastle with 7 goals and one assist.

He has a contract that will keep him at his home-town club for another four years.

• RobLeenio

May 17, 2018 at 5:21 PM

If Rafa left, can you imagine how angry Albert would be?

• Optimistic Panda

May 17, 2018 at 5:28 PM

Not only are the wham fans talking about which players Rafa should get it’s also which Nufc players they’re going to take also.

Kno8s

• Optimistic Panda

May 17, 2018 at 5:31 PM

Our aim was to survive this season and we got 10th.

Should our target be 10th next season?

• hibbit

May 17, 2018 at 5:33 PM

Optimistic Panda
    10th and a cup would be nice

• Bobbybee

May 17, 2018 at 5:37 PM

Tosun, hilarious innit marra? They make it sound like Rafa has no say in it. After all, if you’re lucky enough for some London club to want you, why would you ever choose to go anywhere else? We might as we’ll take his name off the door to his office, it’s already been decided. 🙂
    Football nearly died in the eighties, we can all pretty much agree on that. With Hillsborough, Bradford and violence, it wasn’t in a great place.
    With the PL and all seater stadiums, the modern era of football began in 92/93. You can make of history what you want, depending how far back you choose to go, but in the modern era, despite two relegations, we can hold our own.
    According to these, Everton and West Ham are bigger clubs. That doesn’t hold up to examination.
    How many times have either finished second? Third? Fourth? Fifth ffs? We have.
    How many cup finals have either been in? Can they beat our two? Nope.
    How many times have either represented the PL in either the CL or EL? Again, we beat both by a distance.
    Despite relegations, we hold all attendance records in the Championship. Only team to go down twice and bounce back at the first attempt – both times as champions.
    So in the modern era of professional football, we’re by far and away the most successful of the three clubs. By a country mile. 🙂

• Optimistic Panda

May 17, 2018 at 5:38 PM

Hibbit

I’d go for that, I’d take 15th and a cup

• c-dog

May 17, 2018 at 5:39 PM

With Rafa – top 8
    Without Rafa – 17th

• Jib

May 17, 2018 at 5:42 PM

Thanks for that Rob
    That was lush
    His Wooler accent wasn’t that heavy
    😀

• dig-n-dig22

May 17, 2018 at 5:45 PM

From previous thread, Online guy’s mission to find Mike Ashley.

Ashley has been sighted, he was seen running down a street with BobbyBee’s rear windscreen wiper in his hand.

• Bobbybee

May 17, 2018 at 5:49 PM

Dig n dig, ha ha ha! Barsteward!! I knew it had to be a scrote, but didn’t expect the king of scrotes. Obviously really. I am planning my revenge even as I type. 🙂

• Optimistic Panda

May 17, 2018 at 5:51 PM

Bobby

I’d say both clubs are lost and in a bit of turmoil.

Searching for a identity and a way foward they must be drooling at the loyalty Rafa has shown and the fantastic job he’s done at the club, not only with the team.

I doubt Rafa would go to either club but something’s afoot. Three outlets broke the news last night, Sky and two papers within 5mins, they didn’t have time to copy each other’s stories and must have been told to release the story at the same time or all got told at exactly the same time.

It’s either W Ham fishing or Rafas people trying to push Ashley along. I don’t believe it’s lazy journalism, someone planted the story!

• lochinvar

May 17, 2018 at 5:57 PM

Make Rafa a Freeman of the City and he won’t be going anywhere

• lochinvar

May 17, 2018 at 6:00 PM

Classically with Sky and others loading betting interest on Rafa at short odds that keeps the odds longer on other potential managers such as Pelligrini so that those in the know can make a killing on their bets.

FA need to check betting patterns

• Jib

May 17, 2018 at 6:08 PM

Loch
    Probably hit the nail on the head
    Gold and Sullivan know it’s MP
    and lengthened his odds with a
    well timed press release then
    stuck a chunk of cash on him

• Bobbybee

May 17, 2018 at 6:12 PM

OP, considering the world’s major media outlets are all owned by just six corporations, I wouldn’t worry about stories appearing at the same time! 🙂 Personally I’m not bothered with these rumours. How many times has he been leaving already? Even posters on here have had him packed and gone repeatedly with a helping hand by the press.
    Just let that sink in mate. We’ve all heard he’s been gone time after time – yet he’s still here. These rumours have been around since we got relegated.
    “Absolutely no way will Rafa manage in the Championship. Far too much to lose”. “Unless Ashley gives him a zillion quid he’ll be gone”. “He won’t stay this time, he’s had enough of Ashley” – who hasn’t?
    He wants to be here badly. He really wants to take us places and he’s proven that imo. So until I hear it from him, I’m ignoring the press. They’ve been wrong so many times about the situation it’s water off a ducks back.
    If I’m wrong it won’t be the first time! 🙂 But then, I’m not saying he will stay for sure, I’m simply saying I don’t believe anything I hear in the press anymore. What will be will be sadly. I can’t influence it either way, or he’d already be signed up. 🙂 He’ll tell us if he’s leaving imo. He respects us as much as we respect him.

• Geremi's Prosthetic Leg Fund

May 17, 2018 at 6:16 PM

London press have new quotes from West Ham stating they are close to signing a Manager with top level European and Premier League experience – basically Benitez or Pellegrini.

They seem to think it is more likely Benitez as Pellegrini is on unreal wages in China and they can’t match them.

I must admit I am pretty worried, we all know if anyone can throw all of this away it’s Ashley. The backlash will be unreal though this time.

• Bobbybee

May 17, 2018 at 6:17 PM

West Ham have just said they are close to announcing their new manager. Surely that rules out Rafa? Not like he’s been interviewed is it? Do they need permission to talk to someone under contract, or is that just players? Either way, if they’ve made a decision already it ain’t Rafa. Neck on block.

• Geremi's Prosthetic Leg Fund

May 17, 2018 at 6:18 PM

That said, like above, you’d think Benitez would want to make it absolutely clear to us fans if he is leaving.

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

May 17, 2018 at 6:19 PM

I honestly don’t think in a million years Rafa’s personal goal was survival…but it might be how he wanted to be measured!

• Geremi's Prosthetic Leg Fund

May 17, 2018 at 6:20 PM

Bobby – depends if they have gone through his people and it’s an agreement in principle, all they need to do is submit £6 mill and he’s free due to the release clause. They can announce a new manager, maybe just not his identity until it’s all tied up legally.

Pray it’s Pellegrini, and that this serves as a major wake up call to ashley and Charnley to just give the bloke a proper answer and let him do his job for us.

• Little h

May 17, 2018 at 6:21 PM

To me that statement says that 100% its pellegrini.

Rafa him self has said hes only talking to newcastle

West ham talks are close to completion

For me panic over. An obvious release by west ham to lower Pellegrinos wage demands

I have no doubt now in my mind Pellegrino will be announced as their next manager

Of corse i could be wrong. But i dont think i am

• Bobbybee

May 17, 2018 at 6:21 PM

Geremi, any interview would’ve been leaked by now. That would also make Rafa a sneak. Creeping around doing interviews whilst under contract. Does that sound like the gentleman we know? I will be GOBSMACKED if it’s Rafa. Don’t believe it for one second mate.

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

May 17, 2018 at 6:21 PM

I am sure Rafa’s representatives will be talking to any interesting parties…why wouldn’t he!

Imagine any of you having to work for a guy like Mike Ashley…especially if you had any aspirations

• Little h

May 17, 2018 at 6:23 PM

* pellegrini of corse not pellegrino

• Bobbybee

May 17, 2018 at 6:23 PM

Who’s the guy Wet Spam have already interviewed twice? Chances are it’s him innit?

• Bambams

May 17, 2018 at 6:24 PM

It’s the timing that worries me a little, I am thinking with my heart and can’t see Rafa leaving. He is enjoying his project and I genuinely believe he has a connection with the fans.

Then thinking with my head, Ashley ! Maybe £6 million #compen pays for Moyes/Pardew for a couple of years. He also knows they would jump at this job. Also they would accept what money he offers them.

But the ‘Biggy’ is he sticks another one up the fans !

SSN have announced WH are close to announcing a new manager, who ‘has a proven record of success at the highest level of the game’ in the next 7 days….Has Rafa given a time limit on Ash ?

There will be grief at the highest level if Rafa is not backed and that is why he leaves !!!!

• Bobbybee

May 17, 2018 at 6:27 PM

Jesper, maybe because he’s already said he’s only talking to one club? And maybe his word is good enough.
    He told us he was only talking to one club so we know the situation. You think he’d then go sneaking off talking to other clubs, before even trying to resolve this?
    Not a very high opinion of him, have you?

• Geremi's Prosthetic Leg Fund

May 17, 2018 at 6:27 PM

Who knows. My head says Pellegrini but my heart still has that doubt as we know Ashley has never fought for anything in his time here and as soon as there is a sniff of competition, he ducks out.

I don’t believe that Rafa would be interviewed at all personally – they went through that in 2015, he’s a known quantity and they’ve presumably kept contact since through various intermediaries.

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

May 17, 2018 at 6:32 PM

Bobby…I think his representatives are instructed to talk to any party that would interest Rafa…

He’s not really lying Bobby when he says he has not been talking to other clubs then is he? Has not is past tense

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

May 17, 2018 at 6:33 PM

My opinions of him are fine…I think he’s a respectable man Bobby!

• Little h

May 17, 2018 at 6:33 PM

You could even throw in a curve ball amd say mancini? Wasnt he an early rumour to west ham? They aint that big a club so its not like one of the big six

• Bobbybee

May 17, 2018 at 6:33 PM

Geremi, seriously? What, you don’t think Rafa might want to know exactly what’s involved? How much he’d earn. How much he can spend. Can he work with a DOF? Who has, final say on transfers?
    He’s going to want everything in black and white, as he does here. He won’t just sign on the dotted line. 🙂

• Geremi's Prosthetic Leg Fund

May 17, 2018 at 6:34 PM

He did say a few days ago he was only talking to us, but Moyes only departed yesterday and we know how fast things can move in football.

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

May 17, 2018 at 6:34 PM

…and he’s not dumb by all means

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

May 17, 2018 at 6:35 PM

Geremi…and a few days ago is really in the past so it does not give us any guarantees of what he’ll be doing tomorrow

• Optimistic Panda

May 17, 2018 at 6:36 PM

Makes sense with betting with those two

• Bobbybee

May 17, 2018 at 6:38 PM

Jesper, you think that do you? What makes you think that? What do you know that we don’t? You know as much as the rest of us – nothing. In fact, a bit less I imagine.
    You say you think he’s a respectable man, but your words disagree with you mate.

• Geremi's Prosthetic Leg Fund

May 17, 2018 at 6:38 PM

Bobby – I’m not saying he’s going to be signing on the dotted line without assurances. It doesn’t take a huge amount of time to be given assurances on budget and structure and get in writing – if West Ham really want him.

Again, I’m not saying at all he’s definitely going to West Ham, simply that is not outside of the realms of possibility that he couldn’t and get the assurances he needs.

• toonincheek

May 17, 2018 at 6:40 PM

Bobby (and others),

The Rafa statement about only talking to one club was
    made “in the present” – now maybe 5 days ago.

Not impossible that since that statement, that he HAS
    been talking to other clubs.

• Rotonda heights

May 17, 2018 at 6:40 PM

It’s funny all the people who told me I was talking rot when I said rafa had a buy out clause.

If this happens I think it tops any of ash’s many other crimes v NUFC. Every time there is some glimmer of hope and stability along comes Ash to ruin your day / life!

1 2 3 5