Great News – Looks Like Manuel Pellegrini Is Moving To West Ham

The Telegraph’s Luke Edwards is reporting that he believes that former Manchester City manager Manuel Pellegrini will soon be moving to West Ham.

Manuel Pellegrini – has a proven record of success at the highest level of the game

West Ham recently released a statement saying they were well on their way to signing a top class manager:

“I would like to reassure our supporters that we have left no stone unturned in selecting the individual we believe is the right man to take West Ham United forward.”

“We have followed a process that is progressing entirely to plan and are now very close to reaching an agreement.”

“This is an exciting time for our football club. We are preparing to appoint a manager who has a proven record of success at the highest level of the game.”

That second paragraph could never have been about Rafa Benitez because they have not made a formal approach to Newcastle for the manager.

But they have been talking to Pellegrini and his wages were a sticking point.

Pellegrini has won the Premier League and League Cup with Manchester City and has managed clubs like River Plate, San Lorenzo and Villareal to success.

He is too talented a coach not to be managing in the Premier League, and he will be welcomed back.

He is also a gentleman of the game.

• Pottsclock

May 18, 2018 at 5:38 PM

And if they cannot finalise a deal with Pellegrini, they’re going to be in the brown stuff.

• Jib

May 18, 2018 at 5:47 PM

I’d laffmecockoff if The Gooners came in last minute and nicked him

• DaveD1000

May 18, 2018 at 5:57 PM

Schteve…..”I’m here to win football matches”

• Jib

May 18, 2018 at 6:19 PM

Newcastle admit they took a “financial gamble” to win promotion
    back to the Premier League, with their wage bill in the 2016-17
    season the highest in Football League history.

Anyone care to insult Ashley and tell us what a greedy man he is?

Lesh ?

Any takers ?

• Oldgit1

May 18, 2018 at 6:29 PM

Can’t help thinking that if we had a club sponsor instead of sports direct and they paid say 20m per year that would have given the club 220m over 11 years that Ashley has been here. That in its self would have cleared the debt.
    The fact that Ashley on loaning the money 120m interest free,which in his own mind justify him having sports direct plastered all over the ground still leaves our club in debt which has now increased.

• Ibizatoon

May 18, 2018 at 6:32 PM

Jib…I will.. He is a greedy pathetic excuse of a man.

He speculated on his investment so that it would be worth more (as a PL club, rather than a Championship one), but he wont do the same once in the PL. He is also putting that money into the club and fully expects it back as part of his valuation. It’s not like it’s a gift because he loves the club, is it?

• Lindisfarne

May 18, 2018 at 6:34 PM

Get a load of Goals!!!

• lesh

May 18, 2018 at 6:36 PM

Jiblets

You asked for takers?

Yup, the fact that Ashley sanctioned spend to get the ckub back to the Prem doesn’t make him a generous soul. Relegation was down to his overall bad management in appointing staff who weren’t up to the job then waiting too long to move them out.

How Ashley has the nerve to keep his recent loans on the books when the loan was needed due to a second relegation again down to his arrogant incompetence.

There you go and you know it makes sense!

• Jib

May 18, 2018 at 6:38 PM

Oldgit1
    I cannot help thinking the sponsorship
    thing is the elephant in the room.
    Early doors SJH said that was his reason
    for buying us as a vehicle for his , baby , SD
    How much does Man City pay Etihad
    (Mansour owns the airline)
    or Stoke pay bet 365
    (the Coates family own it)
    etc. etc.

• Jib

May 18, 2018 at 6:42 PM

Lesh
    No one said he was generous , he’s a business man.
    But you and others say he’s greedy when he clearly isn’t.

• bettyswallocks

May 18, 2018 at 6:47 PM

FairPlay Ibiza … At least you had the guts to say what you believe.

• Toonces

May 18, 2018 at 6:48 PM

Jib @ 9

Not sure what you are trying to say with your comparisons.

Man City doesn’t pay Etihad. Etihad pays Man City. That is one of the main ways that the Mansours get higher levels of commercial revenue into the club so they can afford higher wages and transfer fees. They in fact pay over the odds with these sponsorship deals, hence the FFP investigations into PSG and Man City for their “unrealistically” high corporate sponsorship deals.

Ashley is one of the odd ones where he uses NUFC to allow SD to sponsor us for free, thereby taking away that potential revenue stream.

• Oldgit1

May 18, 2018 at 6:50 PM

@ Jib fair comment mate.

• bettyswallocks

May 18, 2018 at 6:52 PM

Jib……. I think he’s greedy too. He obviously is over indulgent in the eating department and I’m sure his gluttony spills over into other areas of his life to make him the fat greedy tw.t that he is.

• Bobbybee

May 18, 2018 at 6:53 PM

I’m no expert on finances so I’m keeping out of that. In the interest of fairness though, I fail to see how it was Ashley’s fault we got relegated twice, but nothing to do with getting promoted again. That, to me, just doesn’t make sense – and I have no love for the man whatsoever.
    We got relegated because we had a weak manager most the season and players who frankly, didn’t give one.
    We then got Rafa and things changed completely.
    I think sometimes we go OTT on Ashley, although in fairness, it is his own fault to a large extent.
    He needs to decide wtf he wants with the club and act on it. Either back Rafa or sell the club at a reasonable price. This internal strife does no good to any of us.

• Bobbybee

May 18, 2018 at 6:59 PM

Does anybody have the figures for a comparatively sized club re advertising? Not Etihad, they pay 400m for naming rights simply as a way around FFP. How much do other clubs earn off advertising compared to us? The difference might explain how much we’re paying for this ‘interest free loan’.
    Can anybody who goes to SJP say, without checking, who actually does advertise at SJP? I can’t and I’ve been going forever! I pay advertising no attention whatsoever.

• Pottsclock

May 18, 2018 at 7:01 PM

I’d love to have £130m or so just lying around spare. I would invest it somewhere in the world markets and get a steady but guaranteed return for it of £10m or so a year. I could manage with that !!

It’s just unimaginable how much wealth these people have. However, when assessing interest free loans, we should not just factor in how much interest would have been paid on the loan. We have to also consider the return that the loaner would have received had they invested elsewhere.

• Toonces

May 18, 2018 at 7:05 PM

Bobby

Well said and a balanced take. One of the main problems I have with Ashley is that he just doesn’t seem to have a plan for the club to make it what he wants it to be. And he has made so many negative decisions that have halted and even reversed any positive steps that the club was taking. For example – sacking Hughton mid-season to hire Pardew, appointing Joe Kinnear as DOF, not giving Ba a new contract and so on to name a few. I am really hoping that he is now going to get it right and give Rafa his full support. That doesn’t mean give Rafa and the club money out of his own pocket, but just to trust in Rafa and support his plan for the club in a sustainable way.

• Bobbybee

May 18, 2018 at 7:07 PM

Platini admitting they fixed the World Cup to keep France and Brazil apart until the potential final.
    FIFA needs to be demolished and start from scratch. I can’t imagine a more corrupt sporting authority ever to disgrace sport. There needs to be a complete audit of everybody involved – but there won’t be. Ashley’s, probably an amateur compared to that lit!

• Ron Knee

May 18, 2018 at 7:07 PM

• Jib

May 18, 2018 at 7:07 PM

Pottsclock
    Exactly that’s what the knobbers on here can’t grasp

• Essex Geordie Bill

May 18, 2018 at 7:08 PM

So there’s the FA cup and the Harry’s wedding to chose from on the box.

I’m leaning towards the wedding as choice of viewing.

I reckon the cup game will be as dull as sh!t.

Or I might do some more gardening.

• Bobbybee

May 18, 2018 at 7:10 PM

Toonces, that would keep us all happy mate. Just allow the club to run itself financially and allow Rafa to have complete control over football issues.
    He’s made so many mistakes you’d think he’d be happy to let those who know football get on with it.
    I think it’s a trust issue myself. Big business is so corrupt, who can you trust?

• Bobbybee

May 18, 2018 at 7:13 PM

EGB I’d sooner stick pins in my eyes than watch those pampered parasites in the TV.
    And don’t even get me started on the Royals! 🙂

• Bobbybee

May 18, 2018 at 7:16 PM

Nice gesture by the royal family to pay for Hewitt’s son to get married though I suppose. 🙂

• Essex Geordie Bill

May 18, 2018 at 7:16 PM

Ron

Most of them crap goals according to the MOTD team!

• Essex Geordie Bill

May 18, 2018 at 7:18 PM

Bobby

That’s why I will probably settle for the Gardening option. 🙂

• Essex Geordie Bill

May 18, 2018 at 7:21 PM

Just to add my twopennorth to the Ashley money discussion, as I’ve said a million times already with no exaggeration it’s his club, all of the money is his, he is owed nothing.

• Pottsclock

May 18, 2018 at 7:21 PM

Bobbybee @25…LOL. Nice one

• Essex Geordie Bill

May 18, 2018 at 7:26 PM

Apparently the U17s will be on NUFC TV live at 3.25 BST.

Don’t think I’ll be staying up that late, they’ll probably have have it on to watch over the weekend.

Bit of an option to gardening!

• Bobbybee

May 18, 2018 at 7:31 PM

Nice to see Arma getting an U 21 call up. That’s him having represented the country at every level except senior – only a matter of time of course 🙂 U17 Euro winner. U20 World Cup winner. Now for the U21 glory. Go on my son, show em how to do it.

• Essex Geordie Bill

May 18, 2018 at 7:32 PM

Armstrong and Woodman have been selected for the England U21s for the upcoming Maurice Revello tournament (whatever that is) in Toulon.

Glad to see some of our lads getting picked for something.

• Essex Geordie Bill

May 18, 2018 at 7:33 PM

Bobby

Ha, you just pipped me to it. 🙂

• Jib

May 18, 2018 at 7:33 PM

Kevin Nolan was very complimentary about
    NUFC earlier in the week

• Bobbybee

May 18, 2018 at 7:35 PM

EGB, as explained earlier, business finances ain’t my strong point so I avoid discussing it. I must say though, I’ve always struggled understanding how you lend yourself all that money and get away with it.

• lochinvar

May 18, 2018 at 7:35 PM

Essex – floodlit gardening is the next big thing. Have a few beers, cut the grass then sit back and watch the match with a few more beers and nibbles. Comment on the state of the pitch compared to your manicured lawn. Few more beers. You get the pattern.

• the white tino

May 18, 2018 at 7:35 PM

Jiblet your so full of shit, if you don’t think fat bastard is fleecing the club your blinder than I thought, land near strawberry, all food and drink matchdays, No payment from shite direct for tatty adverts all over ground, corporate money less than its been in a long long time and fools like you are why he’s still here, PIT OF MISERY FOR YOU DILLY DILLY

• DubaiMicky

May 18, 2018 at 7:35 PM

Re wage bill, it includes £30m in onerous contract provisions, which is the payment (or rather the worst case scenario of paying off all their contracts) of first team players that aren’t considered part of the club moving forward, I’m thinking the likes of Colbeck etc. is taken as a hit this year that gives a minimal tax payment and a loss means it can be offset by the profit of the first year back in the EPL.

Now that doesn’t mean it’s been actually paid out, it’s a provision that has also been accounted for.

That kinda makes sense to me.

Also £10m on staff bonuses for being promoted. So with those two being “one offs” has the wage bill really gone up by £35m? I don’t think so.

• Bobbybee

May 18, 2018 at 7:36 PM

Great minds Bill, great minds… 🙂

• Ron Knee

May 18, 2018 at 7:38 PM

EGB

Yes. The Perez goals versus Arsenal and Leicester were very poor!

1 2 3 5