Rafa Benitez – It’s Good News – Bad News For Newcastle Fans Today


West Ham issued a statement yesterday about their search for a new manager, and they had previously said they were confident they can appoint a new manager within a week.

They also said “We are preparing to appoint a manager who has a proven record of success at the highest level of the game.”

On the surface of it, that seems like Rafa Benitez they are talking about.

But their number on target is former Manchester City boss Manuel Pellegrini, and they have already held discussions with Pellegrini.

That’s not the case with Rafa Benitez – yet.

The statement from the Chairmen read as follows:

“I would like to reassure our supporters that we have left no stone unturned in selecting the individual we believe is the right man to take West Ham United forward.”

“We have followed a process that is progressing entirely to plan and are now very close to reaching an agreement.”

“This is an exciting time for our football club. We are preparing to appoint a manager who has a proven record of success at the highest level of the game.”

That’s the good news on Rafa.

The bad news is that the Mail are reporting today that Rafa could potentially leave Newcastle without paying that £6M severance penalty.

That’s a bit of a road-black for West Ham United right now in their pursuit of the Spaniard.

Rafa’s lawyers “believe he has a case for constructive dismissal.”

That presumably is based on Ashley not keeping to the agreements he made with Benitez when he first signed the contract back in May 2016.

It’s not a good sign that his legal team have actually looked at his Newcastle contract in detail and come to that conclusion.

It would be amazing if Rafa leaves Newcastle for West Ham this summer.

And Ashley will be much more than just a pantomime villain to Newcastle fans.

But the owner doesn’t seem to be doing much to help as he continues to drag his feet on Rafa’s demands.

He hasn’t even spoken to Rafa as far as we know.

Comments welcome.


11 comments so far

  • Bobbybee

    May 18, 2018 at 10:24 AM

    Comment #1

    I’m away for a break, this is becoming boring and negative. THEY’RE SELLING PAPERS ffs, they’ll write anything.
    Up to this point, West Ham have not contacted Rafa.
    Rafa is currently only talking to one club.
    Anything else is mischief. Later.

    12
  • Hail Wor Ashley

    May 18, 2018 at 10:27 AM

    Comment #2

    By this time next week at the latest Rafa will have signed an extended deal.

    Reeks of media shite-stirring because they know NUFC fans are easy to bait. In fact it doesn’t just reek, it is blatant.

    Why would he go to West Ham?

    Start again with another bunch of mercenaries that need sifting through.

    Soulless stadium, by all accounts the worst in thePL, stripping them of a large part of their identity vs one of the most iconic, central to the community both literally and figuratively stadiums in the PL.

    Fans that are more demanding than NUFC fans whom already love you, are on board and unified – who may once upon a time have been much the same but have since learned patience and accept slowly building.

    3 crooked owners that all love to posture and attention seek in the media instead of 1 that does his best to stay out the limelight but has recently taken steps to be more communicative.

    Now if Arsenal came calling then we might have cause for worry, but West Ham? No chance.

    11
  • Ron Knee

    May 18, 2018 at 10:35 AM

    Comment #3

    “… instead of 1 that does his best to stay out the limelight but has recently taken steps to be more communicative.”

    This is sarcasm, I hope.

    3
  • TyneMouth

    May 18, 2018 at 10:36 AM

    Comment #4

    Repost.

    “Mike Ashley Manufacturing Another Crisis At Newcastle”

    No he’s not!

    Ashley is quite capable of ‘creating another crisis at Newcastle’ but at the present moment there is no evidence to support this rumour.

    Any blame for this so-called ‘crisis’ rests on the keyboards of lazy vindictive journalists, filling a vacuum in the absence of real news…

    5
  • hibbit

    May 18, 2018 at 10:37 AM

    Comment #5

    beat me to it Ron

    2
  • Munster Mag

    May 18, 2018 at 10:56 AM

    Comment #6

    Rubbish journalism. Rafa wud have zero chance of winning constructive dismissal as it stands. Zero.

    3
  • Hail Wor Ashley

    May 18, 2018 at 10:59 AM

    Comment #7

    Ron Knee

    No. Suppose in some eyes he is damned if he does damned if he doesn’t. He stays in the shadows he’s pulling strings and up to no good from afar, if he comes out and talks he is on the wind up etc.

    Paranoia will do you in.

    2
  • mactoon

    May 18, 2018 at 11:15 AM

    Comment #8

    “We have followed a process that is progressing entirely to plan and are now very close to reaching an agreement.”

    If they haven’t asked permission to approach Rafa, they can’t be very close to reaching an agreement with him so it would appear they are talking about someone else.

    1
  • Moonraker15

    May 18, 2018 at 12:59 PM

    Comment #9

    The media is missing at least two very important points; 1. Rafa is already a very rich man and wages is not his main motivation. 2, he loves NUFC, the fans and the city!
    They’re confusing him with Pardew or McClaren.
    What is obvious now is his stock has risen yet again but Wet Spam doesn’t attract him otherwise he would be there by now!
    Ashley must accept Rafa is the best and do all to help him make Newcastle great again!

    0
  • Moonraker15

    May 18, 2018 at 1:01 PM

    Comment #10

    What about Arteta to Arsenal? How can they not go for a top name? Enrique too expensive ! What a bunch of clowns. At least Ashley chose Rafa!

    0
  • mactoon

    May 18, 2018 at 1:08 PM

    Comment #11

    Rafa chose Newcastle

    6

You must log in to post a comment.