Here Are The Past Winners – Who Was Your Player Of The Season?

Every year at this time we have our Player of the Season poll.

And this season we’ve had some outstanding performances from a number of Newcastle players who have improved under the guidance of manager Rafa Benitez.

So here’s your chance to vote for who you think was our best player on our first season back in the big time.

As a walk down memory lane we list the past winners in our poll which we started back in 2007-2008 when Habib Beye was the winner.

Habib Beye – first winner back in 2007-2008

SeasonPlayer% of Vote
2007-2008Habib Beye51.4
2008-2009Sebastien Bassong67.9
2009-2010Jose Enrique37.0
2010-2011Cheick Tiote37.9
2011-2012Fabricio Coloccini35.6
2012-2013Fabricio Coloccini23.5
2013-2014Mike Williamson23.7
2014-2015Daryl Janmaat55.1
2015-2016Rob Elliot40.5
2016-2017Matt Ritchie59.0
2017-2018Jamaal Lascelles51.0

Who Was Newcastle's Player Of The Season?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• geordiesteve520

May 22, 2018 at 10:50 AM

Lascelles for me, not just for his performances but for his leadership, maturity and the example he sets both on and off the pitch.

• Jib

May 22, 2018 at 10:52 AM

JP…from The Rock
    We really need to kick on with tranfers starting with Dubravka. Why is that taking so long

It’s done believe me

Euro registrations are not allowed until 9th June

• JDdubai

May 22, 2018 at 10:52 AM

Says quite a lot for our time under Ashley that there are no attackers in that list and only Ritchie as an offensive player.

Always been a struggle to pay the going rate for top level CFs.

Lascelles for me this season. Maybe if we spend some proper money on a proper CF this summer then we may get a CF as player of the season next year.

• RobLeenio

May 22, 2018 at 10:54 AM

I’m not going to argue with anyone’s choice on this, as our achievements this season have been collective rather than due to any specific player. I expect Lascelles to top the chart, but I’ve gone for Ritchie for his dedication, important goals and finishing as joint-top assists maker with Perez. He keeps the ball moving forward and does a shift going backwards too. Dependable.Typifies the team, frankly.

• barkel

May 22, 2018 at 10:57 AM

Went with Lascelles but Dummy would be my second choice.

• Ben Afri

May 22, 2018 at 11:02 AM

I had no idea this blog has been running since 2008! A little late, I know, but well done Ed for keeping the blog running for this long.

I’ve gone for Diame as my player of the season. A few others deserve their nominations such as Shelvey and Lascelles but I think that because we found it so hard to score goals, Diame stands out for me in the second half of the season for helping us collect all three when we converted very few chances. That said, Dubravka deserves a shout too if I’m going to vote for a player who was only good for one half of the season.

• DubaiMicky

May 22, 2018 at 11:11 AM

I went for Lascelles, mainly cos when he wasn’t playing we leaked goals.

Mike Williamson won with only 23.7% of votes – there’s hope for the remoaners yet!

• G

May 22, 2018 at 11:16 AM

barkel, if Dummy had been fit earlier on then he would be in with a fair shout there mate.

• ShirebrookToon

May 22, 2018 at 11:21 AM

If Lejeune wasn’t butchered by Kane in the 1st game of the season. He would definitely have challenged Lascelles for POS imo. Close to being the best CB pairing we’ve had for a very long time!

• lochinvar

May 22, 2018 at 11:31 AM

• Dagwoodz

May 22, 2018 at 11:32 AM

I see someone gave a cheeky little vote for Mitrovic…LOL

• Harley

May 22, 2018 at 11:40 AM

I was torn between Lascelles, Shelvey and Diame but went for Lascelles in the end. We looked lost without him.

• Harley

May 22, 2018 at 11:42 AM

Thought Perez, kenedy and Dubravka did amazing this year too. Ritchie has been in and out of form but always 100%, lejeune has been very consistent, Dummet made a huge difference when he came back in. It’s a hard one his season.

• lesh

May 22, 2018 at 11:51 AM

Before we start getting carried away over transfers, we really need to bear in mind that:

If there are going to be sales, the money needs to be paid up front if players bought are going to be paid for in the same way;

If by instalments, then buys to be paid for the same way.

What does Rafa’s pot include – wages or not?

And, the talk of £15m for Mitro? If he goes to Fulham, they could be a Prem club and Mitro’s price increased substantially.

• lesh

May 22, 2018 at 12:00 PM

Ben Afri

Yes, 2008 and when I stumbled on this Blog, based darn sarf, it was a means of keeping in touch with the real world of NUFC.

And then Jib and his other IDs appeared and the real world was spliced with his fantasy world. Google must be clapping its bands for Jib’s support over the years.

• Lindisfarne

May 22, 2018 at 12:05 PM

As a club we are known for admiring our Strikers and the porosity of our defence, yet none of those historical players of the season are attackers. What does that say?

• lochinvar

May 22, 2018 at 12:12 PM

If Fulham make it up into the Premiership let’s remember that that their owner is one of the richest guys around and wants to buy Wembley for £900m or thereabouts with a plan to turn it into a multi sport venue but that may include relocating Fulham there and turning Craven Cottage into des res for the Landan elite.

If he really want to impress his fans then like so many other clubs and not least of all Ashley asking an alleged £400m for NUFC then Mitros’s price is ….well think of a number, any number…£30m, £35m, £40M, £50m with Gayle included.

That way Rafa’s transfer kitty is off to a good start and Torres wages may be covered….who knows

• catchy in norway

May 22, 2018 at 12:31 PM

catchy in n.9…..49…..5……4…….Perez….Perez…17

I didnt do so bad,, quite happy with that

• NUFCadon

May 22, 2018 at 12:33 PM

Who voted for Murphy!!!

• magscar

May 22, 2018 at 12:37 PM

On POS torn between Lascelles ( and LeJeune if in longer) and Shelvey. Both Laselles and Shelvey have been major influences on our fortunes but think I will go for Shelvey – nothing to do with him being my pick in Martoon’s forecast ( and being my only chance of a point) you understand

😉

Jib thanks for mention earlier ( have been out since posting) I did try and hope that there was nothing which could be construed by any stretch as being Pro Ashley in there and I think I got away with it. MInd your view, grateful as I am , probably doesn’t amount to much in the Blog scheme of things as you are one of the Believers ( in Rafa not the other one often mentionedI hasten to add!) ha ha wink wink

• RobLeenio

May 22, 2018 at 12:44 PM

It’s a Lasc-slide!
    😉

• martoon

May 22, 2018 at 12:52 PM

Nice try Catchy but your prediction was L Perez so not so good!

• Charlie in the Gallowgate

May 22, 2018 at 1:16 PM

Shirebrook
    Agree Lejuene is absolute class I had him in Martoon’s predicted for the season but for Kane’s tackle could well of been player of the season.
    Makes life a lot easier for Lascalles when he is paying as he is comfortable on the ball and can pass the ball forward to one of our players unlike Clark.

Still – player of the season has to be Lascalles looked a lot better when he was in defence

• Nicky the ball tosser

May 22, 2018 at 1:16 PM

Ah, ok, I get it. It’s all right for Jesper, but not for Catchy huh. I knew it. The fix is in.

• jukitsu

May 22, 2018 at 1:34 PM

Lascelles is obvious choice but I voted for Dummett

• martoon

May 22, 2018 at 1:43 PM

Nicky I don’t understand what you mean?

• Nicky the ball tosser

May 22, 2018 at 1:50 PM

Sure you don’t.

• SuperShearer

May 22, 2018 at 1:53 PM

There have been a few standout performers this season; Shelvey, Diame, Perez, Ritchie, Lejune. But for his leadership and the way he remains a consummate professional in an era where it feels he is a dying breed of footballer Lascelles for me has been brilliant.

• Nicky the ball tosser

May 22, 2018 at 2:13 PM

Martoon, you know I’m just messing about I hope. Oh dear.

• ilovetoon8788

May 22, 2018 at 2:24 PM

Lascelles is obvious, but without diame stepping up big time in midfield, we would have struggled. When diame finally decided to play, he brought the best out of our entire midfield including shelvey.

• martoon

May 22, 2018 at 3:38 PM

Nicky – I know but for the benefit of others in my system if it was our Ayoze Perez I just documented it as Perez but if it was Lucas Perez then as L. Perez.

• Ninjacent

May 22, 2018 at 4:01 PM

The lack of offensive players on the list is staggering, kind of tells where we have been as a club in the past 11 SEASONS.
    Its a tough one this season, my vote is based on who I believe has improved as a player and in turn helped us secure that mighty 10th place. I’ve gone with Diame, who was hoping that we cashed in on in January, but this player who now looks and plays better then 89 Million midfielder edges it for me, shout out to Lascelles, Shelvey, Dubravka, Perez & Kennedy who helped shape our season following those several loses on the spin.

• Bambams

May 22, 2018 at 5:09 PM

1st Lascelles
    2nd Shelvey
    3rd Diame
    4th Lejeune
    5th Dubravka
    6th Perez
    7th Kenedy
    8th Dummet

Got carried away, that’s my top 8

• JohnJ

May 22, 2018 at 5:24 PM

Lascelles also for me, If both him and Dummett had been fit for the full season I believe, no question, we would have finished higher the 10th
    Perhaps even in the top six!

We lost a lot of points when Lacelles was out and the defence definitely improved once Dummett came back into the team.

We will never know how high up the table we’d have ended if those two had been available all season and we’d had a competent fully functioning Centre Forward! If Rafa is still here for future years I believe our long wait for a little bit of glory will at last be over.

Haway the Lads!

• JohnJ

May 22, 2018 at 5:39 PM

Bambams Same players different order!

1st Lascelles