Magpies Ready To Execute On One Transfer – Wages Agreed

Belgian goalkeeper Matz Sels has been on loan at Anderlecht for the season after having a miserable first year on Tyneside.

Matz wanted to get his career back on track, and it seems that he’s been able to do just that.

He has been included in the provisional Belgian squad for the World Cup in Russia this summer.

Belgian manager Roberto Martínez has selected four goalkeepers, and that has to be reduced to three, so we hope Matz makes the cut.

And Anderlecht are very keen to sign him permanently this summer.

Matz Sels – contract agreed verbally with Anderlecht

Belgium publication Het Laatste Nieuws are reporting today that Anderlecht already have a verbal agreement in place with Sels on his wages and a five-year contract.

There was no option to buy for Anderlecht in the initial loan contract so a fee will still have to be agreed between the two clubs for the transfer to be completed.

Sels played 14 times for Newcastle and has played 37 times for Anderlecht on loan, and we paid around £6M for him from KAA Gent two years ago.

Newcastle will be hoping to get most of their money back on Sels.

What do you think?

Who Was Newcastle's Player Of The Season?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• DubaiMicky

May 22, 2018 at 3:01 PM

We should get that back. £6m is nowt, he’s going to the World Cup AND he’s already proved himself at Andelecht.

• SredniVashtar

May 22, 2018 at 3:21 PM

If we get 4m back on Sels I would be happy – his sale would fund Dubravka and we’d have effectively paid 2 million for the big Slovak.
    Regarding strikers, the only one of ours who I think is premier league quality is Mitrovic but I can’t see Rafa keeping him. It’s not unlikely that Rafa could offload Gayle Mitrovic and Joselu and bring in 3 completely new strikers.
    I normally have a wish list of strikers I would like to see us sign but this summer I genuinely have no idea who we should go for – looking forward to seeing who Rafa brings in!
    I was reminded earlier that balotelli is available on a free – would take him in a heartbeat. Bring in him, Torres and Abel Hernandez on frees and we won’t have spent a penny on transfer fees and got 3 decent strikers – I would be happy with that! We could then spend 20 mil on each of Kenedy and Quincy promes as well as bringing in some decent players in other positions (Luke Shaw for 25 mil anyone?)
    I always have this sort of bipolar syndrome when it comes to football – I waver between wild optimism and “we are doomed and Rafa is going to leave” pessimism – and I just wish I could skip to August 15th or whenever the first game is to see who we’ve signed so I can avoid this merry go round of worry and wondering. But then I would miss the World Cup…
    Anyway, I trust in Rafa (it’s a weird feeling actually putting your trust in a manager and not thinking you can do better!) and am looking forward to next year.
    HWTL!

• Jail for Ashley

May 22, 2018 at 3:31 PM

I don’t mean this in a bad way but I don’t want to see Gayle in a toon shirt again. I don’t care how this sounds though that I don’t even want to see Joselu again. Took a real shine to him at the start but couldn’t stand the sight of him in the end.

• stestickle

May 22, 2018 at 3:32 PM

reckon we could be stuck with joselu

• hibbit

May 22, 2018 at 3:36 PM

Re Matz Sels
    was the £6m fee including fees and wages ?????

• martoon

May 22, 2018 at 3:44 PM

Nicky from previous – I know you were teasing but for the benefit of others in my system if it was our Ayoze Perez I just documented it as Perez but if it was Lucas Perez then as L. Perez.

• NUFCadon

May 22, 2018 at 3:50 PM

Martoon, what is the thing you have going being discussed? and how do I get involved next season?

• Jib

May 22, 2018 at 4:02 PM

NUFCadon
    You have to learn the special handshake first
    😛

• Mister Tuff

May 22, 2018 at 4:07 PM

NUFCadon – it’s just making some predictions.
    To stand a chance of winning or being mentioned in dispatches you would need to create some multiple alias’s thus giving yourself more chances of glory.

• martoon

May 22, 2018 at 4:15 PM

NUFCadon Ignore the bitter and twisted posters. At the beginning of the season we make predictions and I foolishly volunteered to document them! At the end of the season we see who was nearest to being correct – all for a bit of fun. Last season’s can be found here @61

• Jib

May 22, 2018 at 4:18 PM

Of all the posters on here Jesper is the
    last candidate for being a multiple I would
    have thought.

😀

• ShirebrookToon

May 22, 2018 at 4:19 PM

I want to know what this lemon crew is that he awesomely the captain of

• Tosun A. Wobbler

May 22, 2018 at 4:21 PM

Ah, ok, so now Liverpool have decided that they just need to take our captain and star player, because they’re big timers and we are just Newcastle, much the same as West Ham thought they’d just take our manager. Well 10 out of 10 for Lascelles for throwing water on that fire as soon as he could. Well done lad!!

• RobLeenio

May 22, 2018 at 4:21 PM

Ser martoon, the blog scribe. I’ll be in for the next one. You’ve all been warned….
    😉

• RobLeenio

May 22, 2018 at 4:23 PM

Jib, 34 hearts???? Who’ve you been bribing?

• NUFCadon

May 22, 2018 at 4:25 PM

cheers martoon

• Essex Geordie Bill

May 22, 2018 at 4:25 PM

Just a bit curious as to why anyone would select L Perez for Martoons predictions thingy, he isn’t one of our players!

I believe he was supposed to be joining us but it didn’t happen, moral to the story is, don’t pick players who are not actually on the books.

• Essex Geordie Bill

May 22, 2018 at 4:27 PM

I just made it 35 it was mildly humerous.

• Jib

May 22, 2018 at 4:29 PM

Essex someone had James McCarthy as player of the season !!!!!!

• Essex Geordie Bill

May 22, 2018 at 4:42 PM

On the strength of an amazing goal scored in training I nearly took up martoons offer of changing my tip for Top Scorer to Joselu, can’t remember if he did get more than Ritchie my original tip who I stuck with.

• Essex Geordie Bill

May 22, 2018 at 4:44 PM

As we are into polls how about one for the most bitter and twisted poster. 🙂

• Geordie-john

May 22, 2018 at 4:48 PM

Sell Sell Sell !! Another £6M for Rafa to get who he wants.

• Essex Geordie Bill

May 22, 2018 at 4:49 PM

As a matter of interest where did our Perez figure in the poll last season.

Good to see some votes for him, although I went for Shelvey.

• willowdalerez

May 22, 2018 at 4:53 PM

Great news if we can unload Sels to Anderlecht. I’d be happy with a fee of 2 to 3M even though in the current market that’s practically giving him away. Unfortunately, even though it’s a seller’s market it’s also common knowledge we’re trying to clean house and get players off the books. When people know you’re desperate to sell you end up having to sell at a discount.

That’s a problem for Rafa, if he has 50M + money from tfr sales to spend the second half of that equation may be much less than might otherwise be expected… With the exception of Gayle and Mitrovic for whom there will be multiple offers can’t see us making much off transfers out unless we are willing to put Uncle Fester or Captain Fantastic on the auction block which would be burning the furniture to heat the house.

Hoping the idea of playing for Rafa with the objective of qualifying for Europe will draw some good players over the line who might otherwise not be interested in a move to the Toon. May need to go after some lads on frees and save the majority of the 50M for 2 strikers. At a stretch, make that one good proven striker, a top prospect at striker and a permanent deal for Kenedy.

• Jib

May 22, 2018 at 4:55 PM

I thought Essex meant he’d scored an amazing goal in
    training himself
    I was going to say
    I didn’t think they allowed Zimmer frames on the training pitch
    😛

• Jib

May 22, 2018 at 4:58 PM

Zlatan got off to a good start in the USA
    ha ha ha

• Oldgit1

May 22, 2018 at 5:03 PM

Classy act by Aaron’s mother on leaving Crown court, what a tit.

• Essex Geordie Bill

May 22, 2018 at 5:05 PM

Jib

I played until I was in my mid fifties, but that was in the distant past, not quite yet using a Zimmer frame. 🙂

• Oldgit1

May 22, 2018 at 5:09 PM

Jib, there are places for us olduns called walking football. Tried it once but ball was hard to catch up to, without quickening your pace, so you had to break into a sprint which kills the idea of the game.

• martoon

May 22, 2018 at 5:13 PM

EGB – I did give people the option to swap after the window shut but not many did!
    You gotta love Catchy’s claim of being close hoping I wouldn’t notice he had removed the ‘L’s from Perez 😀

• Bigjim67

May 22, 2018 at 5:22 PM

On the subject of walking football.
    I was never a good player and was more adept at hacking and causing a few disagreements, that in mind can you hack players? Does this involve taking the wheels off their strollers or nicking their zimmer frames? I think i could be the next Titus!!! Always picked last eh? I’ll show you all!!!

• Jib

May 22, 2018 at 5:29 PM

Oldgit1
    there are places for us olduns called walking rugby
    otherwise known as trying to get a pint in Front Street
    Tynemouth on a Saturday evening
    😀

• ShirebrookToon

May 22, 2018 at 5:32 PM

Who had andros Townsend as their POS?

😆

• Bigjim67

May 22, 2018 at 5:36 PM

Jib
    Me and the missus used to go to the salutation every Saturday for “lunch” until she got fed up of the scrum for the last orders pint. Reminded me of Quavers now jacksons on Shields Rd. Happy days ?

• DubaiMicky

Christian Atsu Ghanaian Midfielder £10,000 2021-06-30
    Isaac Hayden English Midfielder – 2021-06-30
    Henri Saivet French Forward £35,000 2021-06-30
    Joselu Spanish Forward £50,000 2020-06-30
    Paul Dummett Welsh Forward £20,000 2018-06-30
    Dwight Gayle English Forward £40,000 2021-06-30
    Jacob Murphy English Forward £25,000 ?
    Islam Slimani Algerian Forward 2018-05-30
    Aleksander Mitrovic Serbian Forward £60,000 2020-06-30

• DubaiMicky

May 22, 2018 at 5:44 PM

And i can’t believe Lascelles is on £15k either.

• Jib

May 22, 2018 at 5:46 PM

Micky
    You should just post the link
    That must have cost you a fortune in ink
    😛

• catchy in norway

May 22, 2018 at 5:53 PM

Player of the season has to be Dubravka for me, the other 2 are hopless, his first game set the tone for 2018 and settled the whole team down and gave them a platform to play from.

don’t get the Lascelles Love, other than heading the ball i don’t think he is that good, his passing of the ball more the 10 yards os shocking, i put him at blame for a few goals this year that have passed onto other players, and the biggest one for me was the west ham goal the basket cast ball that he gave to saviet, but forgot that part of play.

Shelvey no2 for me, his range of passing is outstanding.

• Ron Knee

May 22, 2018 at 5:54 PM

Perez on 45K? Did he negotiate a new contract?