Upbeat Comments From Benitez Hints He’s Committed To Newcastle

Rafa Benitez has said he has a much better relationship with Newcastle owner Mike Ashley than most people think.

But one thing that has caused people to think otherwise was last summer when he spoke of how he was (very) disappointed with the transfer money he had been given.

Also a year last January he was also extremely unhappy when players were not brought into the club.

And fans attributed that to Mike Ashley not keeping his word and that Rafa was annoyed with the owner for the lack of transfer funds.

But this is good news from Rafa.

He has been talking to Sky Sports Spanish journalist Guillem Balague who wrote a book on Rafa’s Liverpool accomplishments and seems to keep in close contact with Rafa.

The interview took place in Rafa’s office at Benton.

These are some of Rafa’s comments:

“My relationship with the owners, normally isn’t as bad as people maybe think it is.” “Because I’m fighting for the best for my club.”

“So I am not fighting for what is best for Rafa Benitez.” “Normally I never have a problem with my contract.”

“It’s just because I want to improve, I want to improve the Academy, or I want to bring better players and be more competitive.”

“The fans appreciate that.” “It has been the same in Napoli, Liverpool, here, Valencia.”

“Then for professionals, they have this vision, they can go one step back and say listen: it’s improving my team, it’s improving my club, it’s improving my business.”

“And I think that people, professionally they realise, and then their perception, it depends.”

“Now the social network, it changed everything in one minute.”  “So people can criticise you today and in two days time they are praising you.”

“Now, if you realise that it’s like this, then you stay calm.”  “You make decisions in a better way.”

“So if you are too hurried to do something, you will make more mistakes.” “You have to stay calm.”

Excellent comments there from Rafa and staying calm is what he does very well.

And that translates to the players and even the fans.

That’s one reason when we went 9 games with just one draw last season the fans stayed right behind the manager.

And what he said would happen did – the team became better and started to win games.

It seems from these comments to Guillem Balague that Rafa is committed to the club.

That’s got to be good news.

Very good news.

Who Was Newcastle's Player Of The Season?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

Note:

Jack Farish is currently studying for a Master’s degree in sport and exercise psychology at Northumbria University.

His thesis project looks at Premier League fans’ team identification – that is – how well they support and identify with their team.

Jack has put together a relatively short questionnaire of team identification and satisfaction with life; it should take no longer than 10 minutes.

You can help Jack by filling out the survey here.

• ShirebrookToon

May 23, 2018 at 9:33 AM

So how many journalists publish this story. as oppose to the ones about him being unhappy and talks have broken down etc etc etc.

• The next Mike Williamson

May 23, 2018 at 9:40 AM

i wonder who we’d get if he did quit. probably ranieri or someone like that. if we’re lucky.

• Hail Wor Ashley

May 23, 2018 at 9:47 AM

So an NUFC fan and accountant on Twitter has analysed the full breakdown of our accounts just released and the underlying loss wasn’t the ridiculous £90m headline figure, but around £15-20m which is very much in keeping with about what I’d expect.

The £112m wagebill comprised of £30m which is further broken down into ‘onerous contract provisions. which are an unrealised loss and the £9.9m promotion bonus. So the abase wage bill was around £82m. Still up £7m from relegation season, which I’m surprised at given the players sold/bought.

Add to that as of June 2017 we were owed £36m more in future transfer fees than we were liable for and things aren’t anything like as bad as depicted and there still should be about £50m profit this season just gone.

• Hail Wor Ashley

May 23, 2018 at 9:48 AM

Few typos in there, always is when I use my phone!

• Lascelles sells sea shells by the sea shore

May 23, 2018 at 9:51 AM

Reading through yesterday’s posts and I personally find myself, like a lot of the silent majority who would agree with what bobbybee has said regarding no news on the Rafa contract situation is good news.

Rafa’s integrity can not be questioned, I don’t believe he has ever initiated the breaking of a contract in his managerial career. If his contract is through to next summer then I will worry about him extending it a little further in future. He hasn’t cryptically threatened to go if he doesn’t get what he wants, I believe he is saying he won’t carry the rebuild past next summer if the owner doesn’t play ball, he is not interested in any other clubs and I when he says that his relationship with Ashley isn’t bad then I’ll take him at his word.

In ideal world he would have the freedom of the club and a very long term contract but that’s not the case, Im greatful for every day he is here improving us and long may it continue but he is here for the here and now and that’s enough for me given the uncertainty that we have suffered of late with a reckless owner at the top of the tree for 11 odd years or so.

I believe his brinkmanship with Ashley will pay off… You can see the cracks appearing with Ashley, I think he will reasonably do all he can to keep him, but Rafa will make his point that he is not to be f@cked with!

The futures bright… The future is Rafa

But I will be gutted if Arma gets cut loose but it makes a difference now that solace can be sought from it being a decision made by a manager that seldom gets it wrong.

HWTL’s

• dig-n-dig22

May 23, 2018 at 10:12 AM

AncientC 152 previous thread.

If we take into consideration 2 unnecessary relegations from the EPL, our Club valuation would increase by about £150Mill placing us well above Liverpool who play in the Champion’s league final, where as NUFC are regular EPL bottom half-ers.