Here’s Our Player Of The Season – And The Past 11 Winners

It will not come as a big surprise to fans that captain Jamaal Lascelles is our Player of the Season.

Jamaal was monumental for us both on and off the field last season, and we looked a weaker side when Jamaal was not playing.

And he is now attracting interest this summer from some big clubs including Chelsea, Liverpool, and Everton.

But Rafa will not allow the 24-year-old to leave Newcastle, and he doesn’t want to.

Second in the voting is Jonjo Shelvey and next in line is his central midfield partner this year Mohamed Diame.

Both players have played brilliantly for us, and they are probably the two most experienced Premier League players we have.

They made a real difference in the second half of what was a tough season.

Rafa Benitez congratulates our Player of the Season – Jamaal Lascelles
Well done lad!!

Their efforts in central midfield when they controlled the game in home wins against Manchester United, Arsenal and Chelsea were a joy to watch.

And the total transfer fee we paid for them was around £16M, and that was a lot less than the players they were up against in those three games.

It was a very successful first season back for the lads – and finishing in 10th place was unbelievable.

PosTeamGamesGDPoints
8Everton38-1449
9Leicester38-447
10Newcastle38-844
11Crystal Palace38-1044
12Bournemouth38-1644
13West Ham38-2042

And now we look forward to Rafa being fully backed by Mike Ashley this summer so he can build a team that can challenge for the top six in the Premier League next season.

And maybe even win a Cup?

Howay The Lads!!

There’s still time to vote in the poll.

Who Was Newcastle's Player Of The Season?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

Here’s every winner since we started the blog back in April 2007.

SeasonPlayer% of Vote
2007-2008Habib Beye51.4
2008-2009Sebastien Bassong67.9
2009-2010Jose Enrique37.0
2010-2011Cheick Tiote37.9
2011-2012Fabricio Coloccini35.6
2012-2013Fabricio Coloccini23.5
2013-2014Mike Williamson23.7
2014-2015Daryl Janmaat55.1
2015-2016Rob Elliot40.5
2016-2017Matt Ritchie59.0
2017-2018Jamaal Lascelles51.0

Note:

Jack Farish is currently studying for a Master’s degree in sport and exercise psychology at Northumbria University.

His thesis project looks at Premier League fans’ team identification – how well they support and identify with their team.

Jack has put together a relatively short questionnaire of team identification and satisfaction with life; it should take no longer than 10 minutes.

You can help Jack by filling out the survey here.

• Tsunki

May 24, 2018 at 10:59 AM

When you look at that picture it certainly brings to mind how stand-offish and distant Benitez is with his players 😉

• Jib

May 24, 2018 at 11:02 AM

It’s obvious in that pic that Rafa
    doesn’t like Jamaal cos he doesn’t speak Spanish

• Ben Afri

May 24, 2018 at 11:07 AM

Hahaha

• NUFCadon

May 24, 2018 at 11:22 AM

I voted for Shelvey in the end because I think in general we won when he played well and didn’t if he didn’t play well. Having said that, Lascelles deserves to win it and I am pleased for him

• Bigjim67

May 24, 2018 at 11:41 AM

I voted for Shelvey, think he was instrumental in our recovery at the start of this year and when he was on form he was fantastic for us. On Tammy Abraham, Rafa must’ve seen something in him but for me i would rather have the big serb back or even a past his best Torres. Was thinking the other day, Peter Crouch???

• bettyswallocks

May 24, 2018 at 11:44 AM

Well done Jamal. We definitely were’nt as strong when he was absent and he deserves to win.

I think it would be appropriate to have a vote on which blogger made the best contribution to the blog last season.

I will start things off by voting for Jib.

• Lee Charnley Bunga Party

May 24, 2018 at 11:45 AM

Got to remember Abraham is still only 20 years old!!

First season playing in the premiership is quite a learning curve and lets face it Swansea were gash at times!!

• NUFCadon

May 24, 2018 at 11:48 AM

Blogger of the year for me was Hibbet – great at keeping us up to date on the takeover and always gives good comments

• Jib

May 24, 2018 at 11:55 AM

I vote for Jesper
    Danes clearly have an unsurpassable
    knowledge of the PL and footy in general

• NUFCadon

May 24, 2018 at 11:57 AM

Apologies, Hibbit not Hibbet

• Bigjim67

May 24, 2018 at 12:03 PM

I vote for Jib. He called me a bit of a c@#! Lol

• OneAlanShearer

May 24, 2018 at 12:09 PM

I think the teams work ethic and spirit was the most impressive part of the season rather than just one player. However lascelles leadership showed when he was not playing as pivotal to how we played. Others played very well arguably better than him but that leadership won us many games. I think shelvey, dummett, Perez, Lejeune, kenedy and Diame all shone at times and deserve credit for that
    …Dubravka too.

I want to see us build on that this summer. Could be a great season if rafa gets 2 players he trusts in every position. He performed miracles with far less.

• DaveD1000

May 24, 2018 at 12:16 PM

Blogger of the year has to be catchy….rose from the dead..knew sod all about where the team was at…and p i ssed off a couple. Legend

• lesh

May 24, 2018 at 12:27 PM

Cyprus

Your idea that we need to ship players out to ease the wage bill before we can bring Dubs for example in, stinks of Ashley. Placing the emphasis on outgoings before recruiting will delay signings and thus increase the risk of missing out on Rafa’s targets and having to do with expensive flops.

Let’s not forget that most of the high earners Rafa wants rid of were signed on the recommendation of Carr and sanctioned by err, Ashley!

Surely Ashley, through Barnes, could relax his grip a bit on the timings while insisting that the payroll is reduced overall by the close of this short window. Ah, but would he trust Chatnley to deliver the goods? Why not, he’s managed to do the business in the past.

Poster of the year? I’d go for Shire, Hibbit, Bambans, Dubai, Sparky and others who gave insight into what came to be the failed takeover. They did so in good faith but were vilified by some!

• Hail Wor Ashley

May 24, 2018 at 12:30 PM

Sebastian Bassong and such a high percentage 😆

Another that we sold to Spurs off the back of a decent few games

Suppose that demonstrates what an uncaring bunch and how betrayed fans felt by the mercenaries amassed before the first relegation.

Janmaat too. Thoroughly average player that was seen to be better than he was because he could go forward a bit, something his predecessor Simpson absolutely couldn’t at the time.

• Jail for Ashley

May 24, 2018 at 1:04 PM

Just hurry up and offer Rafa a deal you fat barsteward so I can get on and start enjoying the summer!!!

• Jail for Ashley

May 24, 2018 at 1:05 PM

How come Jiblets is all of a sudden getting hearted, seems to be since he got his unprecedented 39 for his silly hand shake joke?

• Tsunki

May 24, 2018 at 1:12 PM

I vote for Jib definitely more personal insults per post than everyone else hands down. 🙂

Specials to:-

Jesper for his inability to grasp any nuances of humour

Toonbrother for his investment banking insight into footballing matters

Ketsbaia9 for giving us all a break this season. He gets the Paul Scharner award for promising to deliver but never really turning up.

Disappointing blogger of the season? Toughie. Who is down there with me I wonder? Had to be Belfast, started well but injury and no-shows at the run in left a bitter taste.

• Bobbybee

May 24, 2018 at 1:20 PM

I see heartthrob footballer is marrying the two loves of his life this weekend.
    Apparently both are happy with the situation. He gives both a personal spend of £1500 a week – with a good dental programme for after the kissing.
    Hope he’s invested well. That’ll last until the money runs out!! 🙂

• The next Mike Williamson

May 24, 2018 at 1:37 PM

haha tsunki. that’s the second time today i’ve really laughed at your investment banker jokes. could be cockney rhyming slang mind.

• The next Mike Williamson

May 24, 2018 at 1:40 PM

could be bad news about kenedy if we get tammy. personally i think we’ll sign him. it’s the right move for this stage in his career and he knows the team get the best out of him. why risk sitting on a bench or going somewhere that plays the wrong style?

• Tsunki

May 24, 2018 at 1:48 PM

I suppose an investment banker is after all someone who devotes a lot of time and effort to his banking. 🙂

• The next Mike Williamson

May 24, 2018 at 1:55 PM

i also see tammy as being more of a joselu type of player which shows benitez wants someone big but with an ok touch and who can make right runs for through balls. just a shame joselu couldn’t score.

• NUFCadon

May 24, 2018 at 2:04 PM

The next Mile Williamson

He is canny at deflected goals though lol

• Mattroge

May 24, 2018 at 2:05 PM

On Abraham, I think when he reflects on it now- with the benefit of hindsight- Swansea was the wrong move for him. If I’m honest I didn’t- and obviously he didn’t- expect them to be relegated.

Rafa obviously rates him which says a lot & to score 23 league goals in the Championship at 19 years old for a struggling team is no mean feat. Bristol City would’ve likely been relegated without him. I know if you look at the YouTube compilation a lot of those were tap-in’s but you’ve still got to be in the right place to put the ball in the net. The season just gone was probably an eye-opener for him. There is a big difference between the Championship & the Premiership. Last season he only got 5 in the league but he has time on his side to develop his game & develop physically.

Personally I don’t like the idea of developing other club’s players- I doubt many on here do- but if the majority of Rafa’s budget were to be taking up by signing Dubravka & Kenedy I’d have no problem with us taking Tammy on a season long loan.

• AncientC

May 24, 2018 at 2:11 PM

Diame has most certainly improved, but I don’t view him as being the midfield destroyer he is being made out to be. Diame has started playing as you would expect a defensive CM to play, nothing less–or–mind-blowingly more. Diame gets himself about, puts his foot in, mostly keeps it tidy but on some rare occasions tries a back-flick that goes wrong. I tend to think that the contrast in Diame’s sluggish play to becoming the ball robber has lead to some simple things he does as being overrated. I have seen people purring over Diame for doing some very simple things because the effort was there–you would expect that effort from any player.

Any player that can put fires out while Shelvey gets on with his Pirlo version 2.0 football is always going to look good by virtue of the genius they are freeing up to do his upmost damage on the opposition.

I would like to see Diame get a one year contract extension, but I would worry if he got another 3 years that he will start taking his foot off the gas again. A DM will need to be signed to challenge Diame even if he does retain his form, so maybe a 1 year extension and competition and Diame may even improve him further. But sure, credit where it is due for his improved form.

• DubaiMicky

May 24, 2018 at 2:17 PM

People here are slagging him off cos of his “tap ins”, weren’t a shed load of Shearer’s “tap ins”?

As has been said, you have to be there, to be able to read the game etc. to tap them in.

That said, he refused to come to us before, we can’t have 2 loanees from Chelsea so something will have to gve.

• bettyswallocks

May 24, 2018 at 2:18 PM

Jib recently went to a sperm bank to donate some sperm. The nurse said to him,”Would you like to masturbate in the cup sir?” Jib replied, “I’m good but I don’t think I’m ready for a tournament yet!”.

• DaveD1000

May 24, 2018 at 2:19 PM

Micky
    I think the hope is that we sign Kenedy and Loan Tammy

• DaveD1000

May 24, 2018 at 2:24 PM

Ancient
    I agree to a degree. Mo is doing what you would expect but it is the improvement that everyone is reacting to. Him and Shelvey are putting their foot in but there seems to be a decisiveness and precision in the tackles that was nowhere in the game of either of them. Maybe Mo doing his Veira impression gives JJ the time to tackle instead of hack. Whatever ….I enjoy seeing the Mo-Jo working.

• DaveD1000

May 24, 2018 at 2:26 PM

all misspellings are my own and its because I am drinking eating and typing and a bit thick

• AncientC

May 24, 2018 at 2:28 PM

‘Martin Dubravka tells Slovakian media permanent Newcastle move is waiting on whether Rafa Benitez stays’

Looks like people were right to quiz why an agreement for Dubravka had not been announced yet.

• AncientC

May 24, 2018 at 2:31 PM

According to Dubrvaka: ‘This week will show whether Rafa Benitez will remain.’

There isn’t much left of the this week to go, so hopefully it will be some good news this weekend. That would kick off the bank holiday weekend nicely.

• magscar

May 24, 2018 at 2:40 PM

Diame pickig up form more or less coincided with playing as CM not as a makeshift No 10 which he and Perez had shared. Merino being out injured and no doubt Lascelles having a “word” also helped 🙂

How our squad reshapes will depend on who can be moved out and when ( and at what price) as well as the possibilty that some unexpected moves out could occur (ie not just the obvious ones Ed has mentioned in last few weeks) if an upgrade can be sourced.

Whilst I don’t think Rafa will want to sell Lascelles ( and I doubt Ashley would be the prime mover of a salewith Rafa here) if a daft offer like £75M was made ( ala Van Dijk) and he can utilise proceeds even Rafa might ponder just what he could do!

However the problem with this ( and I suspect in the past) is club’s policy of buys being cash up front and sales being in instalments. A deal such as Lascelles at £75M would possibly translate into say only an immediate addition to the Summer kitty of £15M if a deal over 5 years was agreed) which is not so attractive nor allows much room for manoeuvre with squad rebuild.

It wouldn’t surprise me if this is partially the source of the reported issue between Rafa and Ashley and an ongoing problem.

• Jib

May 24, 2018 at 2:48 PM

Dubravka actually said
    We will know when my contract ends
    31 May

• Jail for Ashley

May 24, 2018 at 3:01 PM

Jiblets,
    I hope to gawd you’re not now claiming to speak Slovakian, no, I hope you are, it would then put to bed beyond doubt what a serial bullshitter you are,
    Google translate has him down as saying this
    ””My hosting lasts until May 31, 2018. By then everything should be closed,” Martin Dúbravka said, adding with one breath, “everything should be based on whether or not the coach Rafael Benitez will stay or go. All possible transfers will begin after the club. This week will show whether Rafael Benitez will remain. And then we’ll see how my situation develops. “

• Tosun A. Wobbler

May 24, 2018 at 3:20 PM

Betty @ 28. Good one. Do you mind if I nick it and substitute me as the star of the joke on nights out?