Rafa Makes An Early Move For International Striker

Rafa Benitez is back in for Tammy Abraham, and just like last summer, he is trying to get the 20-year-old Chelsea striker signed on loan for the season.

The news is in the Sun that we may be able to get Tammy this coming season – something we failed to do for last season.

Rafa thought his loan signing last summer was all tied up, but it seems we dropped the ball and he eventually went to Swansea, who were relegated and changed managers during the season.

But after Rafa’s brilliant handling of Abraham’s teammate Kenedy on loan this year Newcastle must have an excellent chance of getting the twice-capped England International for next season.

Tammy Abraham – on loan at Newcastle next season?

Tammy didn’t do so well at Swansea last year and scored only 8 goals and had 5 assists in 39 total appearances,

But he has speed and skill, and we expect Rafa to be able to bring the best out of him at Newcastle.

Rafa will also be trying to get an option to buy Abraham in the loan contract, and that’s something he tried to get in Kenedy’s deal but was not successful.

Rafa will bring one striker in permanently this summer and Tammy could become the second striker and that would be good news for Newcastle.

What do you think?

Who Was Newcastle's Player Of The Season?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

Note:

Jack Farish is currently studying for a Master’s degree in sport and exercise psychology at Northumbria University.

His thesis project looks at Premier League fans’ team identification – how well they support and identify with their team.

Jack has put together a relatively short questionnaire of team identification and satisfaction with life; it should take no longer than 10 minutes.

You can help Jack by filling out the survey here.

• Lee Charnley Bunga Party

May 24, 2018 at 10:24 AM

I have watched Abraham a fair bit and yes he does score a fair amount of tap ins but the movement and skill to put them away is natural! He is quick and good in the air and if we are judging him on loans he has had a much better time on loan than Kennedy had before he came to the Toon and look how well he did when he played for us!

I think we should be looking to sign a player on loan from Chelsea this season and this could be the boy with us hopefully signing Kennedy on a permanent transfer too!

Rafa has obviously seen something in the boy if he wants him after missing out on him last season

• cyprus

May 24, 2018 at 10:25 AM

Hope we don’t get stuck on the GK position again. This guy is a straightforward agreement.

I’m guessing we’ll have to shift players first before we buy.

Needless to say, the absolute necessity, if nothing else happens with the bounty, is a CF. Should he be somewhere, also a versatile MF who can unlock stubborn teams. A Hazard, who’s hiding somewhere ?

On this, not sure Abraham is the CF I was referring to. But haven’t seen enough of this player to judge.

• Charlie in the Gallowgate

May 24, 2018 at 10:36 AM

Is he any better than Mitrovich??????

• NUFCadon

May 24, 2018 at 10:41 AM

This would be great if we could have an option to buy in there. Like LCBP said, he is a natural and hard to believe he is still only 20 years ond. He could very well develop into a world class striker and that’s the type of player we want to be bringing in! young players with bags of potential. At worst I think he will be a 10 goals a season striker and command a certain value. At best though, this lad could be a Michael Owen (a liverpool michael owen that is)

• dig-n-dig22

May 24, 2018 at 10:49 AM

We are interested in Jorgensen again according to Sky Sports, hope that doesn’t happen after watching him 3 times in the Dutch league last season, he won’t get a sniff in the Prem, Joselu would outscore him !!

• kc2012

May 24, 2018 at 10:50 AM

Looked well out of his depths in the Prem last season imo, he got bullied whenever I saw him play. Yes he’s very young but No better than Gayle and nowhere near Mitro’s level. If he’s bringing Abraham in then surely it’s as a 3rd choice striker which Chelsea wouldn’t want him to be. There’s a lot of experienced free agent strikers out there who could get a chunk of their wages paid by the loan fee spent on bringing him in.

• NUFCadon

May 24, 2018 at 11:05 AM

kc2012 Tammy Abraham got more goals last season then Gayle in less appearances for a relegated club. I think he is a big step up from Gayle especially since he is only 20

• kc2012

May 24, 2018 at 11:21 AM

NUFCadon

Tammy Abraham – 5 goals in the prem last season.

Dwight Gayle – 6 goals in the prem last season???

6 is more than 5 if I remember correctly. Might have played 4 games less but with that goals to games ratio the best he could’ve done is matched Gayle so where’s this big step up you speak of? They are both Championship level strikers or decent 3rd choice options. I’d be happy to bring Tammy in as back up yes but can’t see him getting much game time unless the club fail to bring in anyone half decent.

• lochinvar

May 24, 2018 at 11:38 AM

Might be that Rafa is looking at the supporting actors such as Tammy with an eye on their football development and Ashley is keeping an eye on their resale value remains to be seen. Probably both.
    So perhaps when we’ve added some new younger faces to the squad Rafa will role out the leading actors such as Torres. That could be an interesting strike force option while as always toon fans hanker after the SuperMac – Shearer number 9 model to be unveiled.

• lochinvar

May 24, 2018 at 11:42 AM

We used to say Perez got bullied and now look at him, strutting around scoring goals.
    Diane wasn’t performing and now he’s like a Centurion tank ploughing up the opposition.
    Could be that the conditioning and fitness coaches under Rafa’s guidance are turning the ugly ducklings into swans.
    In Tammy’s case turning a young swan into a full on Magpie might be the game plan.

• NUFCadon

May 24, 2018 at 11:44 AM

kc2012

well if you just look at the league, yes he did get 5. However in all competitions he played 4 less games and got 8 goals. 8 is more than 6 if I remember correctly as you say. Gayle is 28 and not going to get any better, he will only ever be a championship striker. Abraham is 20 and could potentially be a world class striker. Newcastle is never going to be able to afford an in form, ready made world class striker with our current owner so the best chance we have is to get young players who have to potential to get there. Gayle will never get there and that’s why I think Abraham is a big step up from Gayle

• kc2012

May 24, 2018 at 12:01 PM

NUFCadon

I once scored 4 goals myself in an FA cup qualifying round but does mean I’m a prem class striker? No it doesn’t. We’re talking top level prem footy here mate. Gabriel Jesus just turned 21 a few weeks ago and not the finished article but he’s a completely different level to Tammy so why do you keep mentioning age lol it means nothing if the player isn’t at the moment good enough. If your happy with a 5 goal a season striker then good for you. My point is statistically is he better than what we have? Unfortunately no he isn’t as the stats say so. Massive potential he has I agree but last season he was poor. Playing for Swansea undoubtably didn’t help him so maybe in a better team he may perform better but based on last season he isn’t what we need. He’s a good 8 inches or more taller than Gayle with a lot of pace so realistically he should be blowing Gayle away with his attributes but he hasn’t done. Like I say, as a back up option he’s worth a punt but not really what we need. Also which goalkeepers and defences did Tammy score past this season? Pretty sure Gayle beat some of the big boys

• NUFCadon

May 24, 2018 at 12:32 PM

kc2012

Fair enough 3 of them goals were in the cup and not at the same level as the league but he still scored them

I bring up age because it is a key factor in the argument in my opinion. you may disagree but I believe we should always be looking to bring in players who can grow at the club and players who are going to be the next big thing not players who were once a thing. I would much prefer to have a player who can turn into something special then a player who is passed it. As it currently stands I agree with you that there is not a huge difference between Gayle and Abraham, my point about him being a huge step up is that Abraham can be something, Gayle never will.

Regarding Gabriel Jesus, he is considered one of the brightest prospects in the world and City payed almost £30m pound for him. is he better then Abraham, yes. Is that relevant, no.

I stand by my statement though and think Abraham would be a big step up from Gayle and yes it is because of his age. I cannot believe the vast majority of people would not rather a 20 year old who can potentially go on to be fantastic over a 28 year old who will get no better and isn’t even currently better then that 20 year old.

• kc2012

May 24, 2018 at 12:57 PM

NUFCadon

You use the word ‘potentially’ in every comment. When your manager and fans want to challenge for things potential can’t be relied on. I bring up Gabriel Jesus because of the age factor of where he is to where Abraham is and they both have ‘potential’ but one of them scores world class goals for fun at 5 feet 6 inches tall coming from a completely foreign weak league and the other scores 5 goals in 30+ games standing well over 6 feet tall having played nearly 40 games in a very difficult league. I agree with you in what you say about his potential mate but Gayle still has better prem stats than him regardless of age and Gayle isn’t a prem level player. If he comes in and scores the goals and proves me wrong then hats off to the lad but for the vision Rafa has of moving forward why would he bring Abraham in for anything other than filling the squad out. Also regarding him playing for a relegated team, Rondón scored 7 goals in the league last season for a club who finished bottom and didn’t look like they had ever kicked a ball until the final 6 games or so, he’s also 28 Years old. Those stats along with Gayles suggest experience maybe the answer and not potential.

Either way let’s hope if he comes in he proves me massively wrong mate.

• Munster Mag

May 24, 2018 at 1:01 PM

I’d be disappointed if this was to be our main striker purchase. That said, he has more attributes than gayle. I always felt Rafa wud want more power up front and so arma won’t make it. That said, mitro wud score as many as him. As for Gorgie, that wud be a bad choice by rafa who has shown plenty of fallibility in the transfers game

• NUFCadon

May 24, 2018 at 1:20 PM

I use the word potential because that is all he is…potentially a good striker. As it stands he isn’t great and I get that but getting this lad in and have him work with Rafa could see him a 20+ a season striker in a couple of years. Would I want this this to be our number one striker next season? no. I would however see him as a great replacement for Gayle and think under Rafa next season he would keep Gayle out of the team if they were both there. Comparing him to Gabriel Jesus is unfair. Its like saying Ritchie is a rubbish player compared to Messi. We cant compete with Man City for bringing in the worlds best talent. Yes Gabriel Jesus is loads better but it doesn’t mean Abraham wouldn’t be an excellent addition to our squad

Experience is important as well and I don’t discredit it but at all but I think your experienced players should be leading by example such as Shelvey and Diame in the second half of the season, not getting by like Gayle

• kc2012

May 24, 2018 at 1:30 PM

NUFCadon

If Gayle is just getting by but scoring more goals in the Prem than Abraham what does that say about Abraham really mate? It’s not like he’s been playing with poor creative players either, the Ayew brothers, Ki, Clucas all very technically gifted link up players. It’s very fair to compare him to Gabriel Jesus seen as Abraham has much better attributes to him in terms of physicality and the fact he’s been able to learn his trade in Chelsea’s academy under players like Drogba and Diego Costa etc.

If we’re in for any Chelsea striker it should be Batshuayi in My opinion. Proven goal scorer in the top leagues, young, strong and ready to be a real number 9. Not a kid with ‘potential’ who’s just had a failed season in the league we’re trying to improve ourselves in.

Btw Ritchie and Messi play in completely different positions so that’s like comparing Degea to Joselu in terms of reality.

• NUFCadon

May 24, 2018 at 1:46 PM

Well Gayle got 1 goal more but played more games so they basically did the same goal wise last season. We finished 10th and had good periods of play, Swansea were terrible this year and he still did as good as Gayle. Yes Messi plays in a different position to Ritchie but I thought you would be able to understand the relation, perhaps not. You were comparing one of the best young players in the world today with someone Newcastle were going after…Really!!! you think that is a justified comparison? on top of that you seem to think attributes such as height and strength should make the player, you tell that to Messi. You must be woefully disappointed with every signing we make if your bench mark for comparison is looking who is the best in the field to compare them against.

With regard to Batshuayi, I agree. I would pick him ahead of abraham and have said on this blog I would love to sign him. I think he would be £10m more but I would happily invest in him as our number 1 striker.

Back to what I said though, I think Abraham still would be a step up from Gayle and a good replacement for him. As good already at 20 and has bags of potential and to top it off he is English as well, exactly the type of player I think we should be signing

• kc2012

May 24, 2018 at 2:06 PM

No mate I’m mentioning height because you keep mentioning age, Cisse and Ba did ok for us, what age where they again? Dwight Gayle scored a goal more than Abraham so the point I’m making is where is the step up??? There isn’t one, no matter which way you look at it Gayle scored more goals against much better goalkeepers. Could go on allday mate but stats don’t lie sorry. You say I’m comparing players against our own?? Who does Gayle play for and who does Tammy play for? It’s a no brainier mate if you want premier league goals you pick Gayle over Abraham as the stats show, plus Abraham would come with a huge price tag because of ‘potential’.

Yes I’m a huge fan of Batshuayi too. Imagine him upfront for us now that would be special. I’d be happy if he was our big signing because all were lacking really is that end product and he’d provide that for sure.

Either way let’s hope for some good signings and a successful season which we all deserve mate.

• Geordie-john

May 24, 2018 at 2:12 PM

Get the permanent striker in first either Bas Dost or Jorgensen then a loan for young Tammy Abraham would set us up for maybe another decent keeper and Martin Dubravka. Then offload the deadwood as much as possible whether it be loaned out or out the door for good. Then hopefully in the future we won’t have so many unwanted players to offload. SJP must be getting like Fatman Cashleys shops what with all the sale tickets everywhere

• NUFCadon

May 24, 2018 at 2:15 PM

I agreed that he was a similar level to Gayle this season. I also don’t have an issue with older players such as Ba and Cisse. I simply think when a player is as good at such a young age as your older player who is getting no better its a good replacement because of potential. I also mentioned comparisons because you started comparing Abraham to Gabriel Jesus.

Anyway…lets end it there

One thing we can agree on is we both want the same thing, an improved striker for next season

• kc2012

May 24, 2018 at 2:24 PM

That’s fair enough mate. Hopefully we get a decent budget this Summer. Can’t be getting left behind by teams like Bournemouth etc lol