Newcastle May Lose Another Young Star – Improvements Needed – What Happens To Beardsley?

The Chronicle are reporting today that Newcastle are trying to sign young Alex Gilliead to a new deal.

Alex was impressive last season on loan at Bradford City and has done well when he’s gone out on loan.

He has now played 120 first team games for Luton Town, Carlisle United and Bradford City combined.

And it’s not professional enough that the club have missed the cut-off date to sign the player so we get automatic compensation for him when (if?) he leaves the club.

Why was that allowed to happen?

But Newcastle are now working hard to sign the 22-year-old before his contract runs out at the end of next month.

22-year-old Alex Gilliead – contract runs out next month

But at 22 Alex will think he should have broken through to the first team squad by now if he has a future at Newcastle, where he’s been for the last seven years.

The Consett-born player has made it clear he still wants to have a career at Newcastle.

This is what Alex has said in the Chronicle:

“My dream and ultimate target is to play regular football for Newcastle United at first-team level.”

“It’s something I have wanted since I was a kid.”

“I’ve now got plenty of experience under my belt from the lower leagues, and want to challenge the first team one day.”

“Going to Bradford was a great experience for me and now I am looking to take that forward.

“We’ll see what the next step is and what the immediate future holds.

“But overall I’d love to play in the Premier League with Newcastle.”

We lost 16-year-old Lewis Gibson to Everton last summer and the whole area of how we bring young players through to the first team needs to be sorted out.

That’s an area that Rafa Benitez is keen to transform if he signs on long-term at Newcastle.

And things are up in the air at the moment with U23 manager Peter Beardsley still suspended from the club.

Something needs to be finalized on what Peter’s future is at Newcastle.

Note:

Jack Farish is currently studying for a Master’s degree in sport and exercise psychology at Northumbria University.

His thesis project looks at Premier League fans’ team identification – how well they support and identify with their team.

Jack has put together a relatively short questionnaire of team identification and satisfaction with life; it should take no longer than 10 minutes.

You can help Jack by filling out the survey here.

• lesh

May 26, 2018 at 11:11 AM

Swiss Ramble (I think) referred to charges in the club’s recent historic accounts for ‘Mismanagement’. Given the seemingly ongoing mismanagement, we’ll be seeing more if such charges as long as Ashley’s the owner. In fairness to Charnley, if he is it, the only manager of the club’s business, it would explain why this lad’s contract status has been overlooked.

Ashley’s probably got rid of the club’s finance and people management functions having them carried out by SD staff on an as and when needed basis. Yes, Mr Ashley, what price economy?

Repost

Like many others, I’m sick of hearing about the club’s limited finances when potential revenue’s available if Ashley:

1 – Gets SD to pay market price for the saturation advertising it’s had free for the past 11 years;

2 – Actively market and sell the advertising opportunities at SJP;

3 – Write off the top-up ‘loans’ made to prop the club up following two relegations which were of his making and

4 – With the additional revenue resulting from 1-3 above, enhance the squad and encourage a drive to play in and win European and domestic trophies using some revenue to

5 – Devise and implement a strategy to improve the clubs infrastrucure and recruit finance, marketing and other professionals to the club’s management structure.

Maybe it’s too much to expect Ashley to set the club up and manage it as a business with a multi-million pound turnover? If it is too much for him, set a realistic price, sell the club and get the hell out of it.

• bettyswallocks

May 26, 2018 at 11:27 AM

Lesh………. Good entrepreneurial advice. You’ve obviously moved away from the far left thank God so nice to see my efforts were not in vain.

• The next Mike Williamson

May 26, 2018 at 11:39 AM

I was just going to ask if the Beardsley affair has been sorted.
    If true, it doesn’t make sense to offer this lad a new deal at 22, but nothing for Armstrong who is a year or two younger and had far more promise and played just as good in league one.

• The next Mike Williamson

May 26, 2018 at 11:42 AM

I won’t hold my breath on any of that happening, lesh.

• JP...from The Rock

May 26, 2018 at 11:48 AM

What a shambles the development of young players at NUFC is. We have failed to produce more than 5 proper prem quality players from our reserves for mor than 2 decades! WTF IS GOING ON THERE!!!???

Rafa please sort that mess out ASAP!

• lesh

May 26, 2018 at 11:55 AM

Bettys

Your efforts have not been in vain. Howay the lads and howay the (especially the lumpenproletariat ones!) 😉 🙂

The Next MW, no, me neither. But if lumpent laymen

• lesh

May 26, 2018 at 11:59 AM

* ignore the unfinished and unedited tripe in my previous post. I’ll try again

The Next MW, no, me neither. But if the likes of we ordinary fans can see the sense in maximising the clubs potential, why won’t Ashley? Note the word ‘won’t’ rather than ‘can’t’.

• bettyswallocks

May 26, 2018 at 12:21 PM

Well done Lesh. Donald will be proud of you.

• Essex Geordie Bill

May 26, 2018 at 12:49 PM

It’s really ironic when you realize that whoever wins the Championship play off is probably going to better off than us in financial terms next season and more able to invest in players.

• Essex Geordie Bill

May 26, 2018 at 12:54 PM

Any team but Villa I’d want to win but you have to admire Fulham’s efforts this season and do deserve be the third promoted team if they win.

Apparently Villa will be in the financial clarts if they don’t win and will probably have to off load their star players, Grealish anyone?

• Essex Geordie Bill

May 26, 2018 at 12:58 PM

TNMW

I’ve always wondered as to why we fail to get youngsters to step up.

From being promising prospects to being failures seems to be normal for our modus operandi for far too long.

• Sliema

May 26, 2018 at 1:10 PM

JP

Can you name that 5?!

• hibbit

May 26, 2018 at 1:11 PM

Bill it’s simply really the coaching staff and the facilities are poor just not up to the job
    our scouts at that level are unable to persuade kids and their families to pick us over other local clubs
    you just have to look at our neighbours there academies are far better run and the facilities are to a much higher level and both are far more productive with the end product which in the benefits the club with players who are good enough for the first team

• AndyMac

May 26, 2018 at 1:16 PM

Lesh you forgot to add

6 – Stop stealing all the merchandise revenue and pumping it into Sh Direct ? Nufc Direct is a subset of Fatman’s company and takes all of the revenue while giving back next to nowt

• DubaiMicky

May 26, 2018 at 1:25 PM

• Hail Wor Ashley

May 26, 2018 at 1:59 PM

Ideal scenario for us today.

Mitrovic stars in a Fulham win and hopefully there’s no permanent agreement already embedded in the contract. Nobody reported it as such so I don;t think there is, though I’m sure it would be Mitrovic’s first choice unless a substantially bigger team comes in for him.

Regardless, think there will be plenty of interest. Could see Wolves, Brighton, perhaps some Serie A teams and the Turkish giants also taking him into consideration.

As much as I feel for Steve Bruce with all his personal troubles and how well he has handled them, the club he manages and some of the players – Terry and Hutton for example – offset that.

Having said all that I have a sneaking feeling Villa will win. Bruce is a Champ promotion specialist, through the play-offs even moreso. His team seem to have rallied around him and have a lot of experience.

• JohnJ

May 26, 2018 at 4:51 PM

Normally I would have preferred a Midland team to yet another one from London we have enough of those in the Premier League already ……..

But whilst I have a lot of sympathy for Wallsend lad Alex Bruce after his recent bereavements – I’ll never forget how the Villa fans took the p*ss out of us and our team after our relegation at Villa Park a few years ago………

So it’s a Fulham win for me I hope!