A Dangerous Move – Business Delayed Until Rafa’s Future Decided

This is not particularly good news today that Newcastle will put their transfer business on hold until they can sort out the future of Rafa Benitez – the report is in the Sun.

Rafa’s reps have met with Lee Charnley over the last five weeks or so and now the talks are said to be at an impasse.

From the outside nothing much seems to have been agreed.

But new talks with Rafa could (should) proceed in the near future and the hope is that something can be agreed between the two sides so Rafa can sign a long-term deal at Newcastle.

There would be some problems in any case for players coming in who would want proof that Rafa intends to stay at the club long-term and not just for the final year of his current contract.

Do you really think it would have taken this long at any other club to get Rafa signed up to a long-term deal?

Rafa Benitez and Lee Charnley – at least the two seem to have a good working relationship

After all – he has made it very clear he would prefer to stay at Newcastle.

But other clubs will be waiting in the wings as they watch this Ashley produced Soap Opera playing itself out.

This could explain why Martin Dubravka’s loan deal has yet to be made into a permanent £4M deal – which is an option Newcastle have.

But this cannot go on too long because Rafa will want to sign up players early in the transfer window although that may be difficult with the World Cup starting in just over two weeks in Russia.

It’s strange because maybe Rafa wants to see how Newcastle will operate in the transfer window this summer and whether they are willing to spend some big money on top players – before he signs any new deal.

Newcastle cannot afford to delay things for too long and if we are waiting for Newcastle to negotiate a deal with Rafa – it’s already taken over five weeks.

Remember Newcastle cannot seem to do anything quickly.

So this could be a dangerous move unless Rafa is signed up within the next few weeks.

Why is this so difficult for the Newcastle hierarchy?

And you wonder why it takes so long for Newcastle to get their transfers completed?

They tend to go on for weeks and last summer even for months with the Lejeune and Merino transfers – which shocked the manager.

These are just some of the things Rafa wants to change – and they are even delaying his own contract.

That’s one definition of “ironic.”

Note:

Jack Farish is currently studying for a Master’s degree in sport and exercise psychology at Northumbria University.

His thesis project looks at Premier League fans’ team identification – how well they support and identify with their team.

Jack has put together a relatively short questionnaire of team identification and satisfaction with life; it should take no longer than 10 minutes.

You can help Jack by filling out the survey here.

• chicousa

May 27, 2018 at 3:01 PM

Sorry to all the Ashley apologists out there but…

Fat greedy ba$tard get out of our club – now!

• Bobbybee

May 27, 2018 at 3:03 PM

We all want him out of our club, but until someone coughs up the cash it simply ain’t happening.

• toonluvva

May 27, 2018 at 3:07 PM

I can see Rafa running down his contract until the end of the season.

The closer it gets to next May, the more the value of NUFC will drop.

Basic economics I reckon.

• sing in the corner

May 27, 2018 at 3:13 PM

The gears of this club grind round so slowly.. here we are again. This statement could have been made the day after the Chelsea home game.
    Get your fingers out!

• Bobbybee

May 27, 2018 at 3:14 PM

Rafa’s playing the long game. He knows what he’s doing. If he doesn’t get what he wants, he’ll walk. Ashley wants him to stay. Rafa holds the cards, just trust him and see what happens. He’s already won the argument about trophies and he will go for cups. The league is completely out of sight right now, so it’s a cup or nothing. I’ll happily take a cup.

• Jib

May 27, 2018 at 3:16 PM

The Telegraph
    B Paul Kelso,
    Chief Sports Reporter
    18 Mar 2009

After months of tortured negotiations that have seen the contract
    redrafted at least eight times, Benitez and the American co-owners,
    Tom Hicks and George Gillett, finally agreed terms yesterday afternoon.

Rafa does not rush contracts when there’s no need.

I wish everyone would just calm the f@ck down
    Act in haste
    Repent at leisure

• Bobbybee

May 27, 2018 at 3:23 PM

Jib, my point exactly. Trust Rafa. If anybody in the omniverse can get into Ashley’s head it’s Rafa Benitez. We can scweem and scweem until we’re sick and it will have zero affect on Ashley. Whereas Rafa can slowly persuade him to do it his way. Nothing happens quickly unfortunately but as long as we get there in the end, that’s, all that matters. Ashley wants him to stay. To do that he has no choice but to back him, or lose him.

• Jail for Ashley

May 27, 2018 at 3:23 PM

Trying my best not to comment on the situation and certainly won’t be taking notice of stories in The Sun that have been hobbled together from bits and pieces of other stories. As you all well know I am a full blown Rafalite and will be gutted if he leaves or doesn’t stay. I don’t care what Jiblets says about being a doom monger, I still maintain that this summer is pivotal, If he doesn’t sign a new deal soon he won’t be signing another one while Ashley is still here.

• chicousa

May 27, 2018 at 3:24 PM

Bobby,
    I most definitely trust Rafa and salute the fact that he appears to be playing hardball in the new contract negotiations. Unfortunately I do not think he is dealing with a rational actor in Ashley!

• Jib

May 27, 2018 at 3:37 PM

Aurelio De Laurentiis
    Florentino Pérez
    Massimo Moratti
    Jaime Orti
    Roman Abramovic

Rafa has worked with some real twats.

Ashley is just a novice in the tricky trousers
    stakes compared with these charmers.

Rafa WILL get what he wants
    no doubt about it

• chicousa

May 27, 2018 at 3:41 PM

Jib,
    Great to see you acknowledge that Ashley is a little twat! 😉

• Jib

May 27, 2018 at 3:44 PM

We’ve got a little twat
    and I’m very fond of that
    but I’d rather have a
    bow wow wow

• welshgeordie9

May 27, 2018 at 3:45 PM

Wish everyone would calm down, everything will be sorted and then we can all watch us having the best transfer window ever.

• Jib

May 27, 2018 at 3:46 PM

That’s the chorus of that well known
    ditty
    “Ashley wouldn’t buy me a striker”

• welshgeordie9

May 27, 2018 at 3:47 PM

Champions league here we come.

• Bobbybee

May 27, 2018 at 3:52 PM

Chicousa, I get it mate. I truly do. I’m no fan of Ashley ffs, but I am a Realist. We will never ever effect Ashley’s thinking. That might sound harsh but it’s a fact. He doesn’t care.
    Rafa on the other hand, can. And I think will. Just his demeanour and calmness in interviews tells me he’s winning. Not that it’s a war, because apparently they get on. I listened to an hour long interview last night. He’s not fighting for himself, he’s fighting for us. And Ashley is slowly giving ground because he makes sense. Business sense as well as football sense.
    Ashley is probably in awe of the man. He’s so meticulous. I honestly and truly believe he will talk Ashley round. He could sell ice to Eskimos. 🙂
    He’s basically asking Ashley to give him the keys to the castle, which is alien to Ashley. This will not happen overnight. Nor should it. This is a crossroads for Newcastle. If Rafa gets this right the sky’s the limit. And I am an optimist. Despite the past, these next few weeks can change everything.
    We can’t get rid of Ashley without 400m smackers. The best to hope for is Rafa getting Ashley on board. Just give him time and trust him. He’s done this before. 😉

• Jib

May 27, 2018 at 3:53 PM

welshie
    I’m sorry to inform you that it is
    impossible for Swansea to qualify
    for the CL in the Chumpionship
    😛

• AncientC

May 27, 2018 at 3:54 PM

Charnley coming out and saying the club now wants to win a cup didn’t just happen recently to convince Benitez to stay; McClaren and players were quite incentivised to win a cup, and didn’t Ashley offer the squad something like £20 million in bonuses if they won a cup last season. I remember reading that McClaren would have received a very large bonus and and a long-term contract if he won a cup… how true any of that was, I don’t know.

• chicousa

May 27, 2018 at 3:54 PM

Jib,
    Had to bring out the heavy duty google machine to find your song reference @12! Song ditty from 1892?? You must have only been a teen when that song came out! 🙂

• welshgeordie9

May 27, 2018 at 3:57 PM

Jib you such a bitch.

Ha ha ha

• chicousa

May 27, 2018 at 4:01 PM

Bobby,
    I’m with you about being a realist re: Ashley. And I’m totally behind Rafa in his attempts to get the keys to the kingdom, if he can! But at this point I’m hoping a new buyout approach is made from MBS or another super rich playa that will make fat Mike an offer he can’t refuse.

• Jib

May 27, 2018 at 4:07 PM

Chico
    Yeah I used to love seeing Vesta Tilley
    at Blacks music hall Byker
    Then the buggers carted me off to S Africa
    to fight the Boers and the Zulus
    I actually first met Welshie at Rorke’s Drift
    😀

• Bobbybee

May 27, 2018 at 4:11 PM

Chicousa, that would most certainly be the ideal outcome, but I don’t see a queue right now.
    Ashley won’t give it up without assurances from a Rafa either. I imagine the legal logistics of this deal will be a nightmare, if it happens. Not my problem though. 🙂
    Either way, it will take time and meetings. We have little choice but to wait and see how it goes. At some point though, I do expect Rafa to sign a new contract because I am an optimist. The power of positive thought is a proven phenomenon. More people should try it 🙂

• chicousa

May 27, 2018 at 4:12 PM

Almost as old as me then, eh Jib? Why I remember back in Springfield me and that young lawyer, Mr Abe Lincoln would chase the lasses at the summer jamboree and …

• chicousa

May 27, 2018 at 4:17 PM

Bobby,
    I’m with ya, mate. On the power of positive thought especially! Although lately I’m thinking I should take a class in Rune spinning from Essex Geordie Bill….just to tilt the table a bit mind you! 😉

• sing in the corner

May 27, 2018 at 4:22 PM

Yes we know Ashley doesn’t give a damn what the fans say or want..

And we know Rafa’s playing it as astutely as he can.

It’s the formulaic way in which we come to the early days of a transfer window and the delaying / stalling tactics lurch on and on until time’s almost up… Again.. And we start scratching around for what’s left on the lower reaches of the ‘list’.
    Season on season..
    Yeah I understand the point that we just have to wait and see.
    But often we are ending up with the question ‘ever had the feeling you’ve been conned?’ ringing in the ears.

• martoon

May 27, 2018 at 4:30 PM

Bobby I really hope you’re right but it is concerning. However I would think the truth is that players don’t want to sign until Rafa’s future is sorted out rather than NUFC doesn’t want to do business yet!

• Jib

May 27, 2018 at 4:33 PM

Just old farts retiring in the main so far

• Tosun A. Wobbler

May 27, 2018 at 4:33 PM

Jib. Rorke’s Drift !! That’s where I’ve seen you before. It was me that saved you from that Zulu with the sharpened mango!

• Jib

May 27, 2018 at 4:34 PM

Old farts
    Ha ha ha
    Oh to be 36 again !!!!!!

• Bobbybee

May 27, 2018 at 4:39 PM

We’ve been conned all our lives. You took your time getting here. 🙂
    Remind me how successful we were before SJH came along.
    If I refused to go to games because we had a shit owner, I wouldn’t have bothered starting.

• lochinvar

May 27, 2018 at 4:39 PM

Wasn’t there some mention awhile back that Dubrovka’a deal would start 1st June so there was Aaron break on his current deal at 31st May. So no problems there then.

Ashley has met with Bishop to sort out the finances for Rafa and agree the PR statement with Bishop as to that deal and the clubs exciting future. Charnley wasn’t there because they wanted to agree a pay rise for the lad.

June is busting out all over. Hope so.

• Jib

May 27, 2018 at 4:41 PM

Tosun
    You remember when that big black naked woman
    came at me with a spear
    and you shouted a warning “Assegai !!!”
    and I replied
    “No that’s all woman”
    and made off over the veldt with her

• Jib

May 27, 2018 at 4:43 PM

England getting a bit of a smacking off the Barbarians at Twickers
    at the moment
    38 – 54

• lochinvar

May 27, 2018 at 4:47 PM

Jib and Tosun have been seen reminiscing at the old folks home

• sing in the corner

May 27, 2018 at 4:47 PM

Bobby
    Doesn’t stop me going to games or supporting the team.
    What do you mean by ‘..took your time getting here..’ by the way?

• Tosun A. Wobbler

May 27, 2018 at 4:51 PM

Jib……yep, hadn’t seen you since!

• Tosun A. Wobbler

May 27, 2018 at 4:55 PM

Tell you what irks me, that bloody Stanley Baker getting all the credit.

• Bobbybee

May 27, 2018 at 5:02 PM

Sing, realising we’ve been conned. It was a jest, hence the smiley face.

• Bobbybee

May 27, 2018 at 5:03 PM

Lovely worked free kick from Shrewsbury in this play off. Must’ve worked on it for hours and it worked. Brilliant. 1-1, extra time coming up.