Still Some Uncertainty Surrounding Star Player’s Future

23-year-old Newcastle striker Aleksandar Mitrovic says he has played some of his best football at Fulham this year when on loan –  he scored 12 goals in 20 games for the Cottagers.

He scored all those goals in the Championship in 17 games and was unable to score in their three playoff games.

Fulham manager Slavisa Jokanovic has played to Mitro’s strengths which is one reason he’s really enjoyed his football in London and would stay if Newcastle and Fulham can come to some agreement on a transfer fee.

Aleksandar Mitrovic challenges Jack Grealish at Wembley yesterday

This is what Mitro said after the game yesterday when Fulham beat Aston Villa 1-0 in the Championship Playoff Final:

“We will see what happens. I am still a Newcastle United player, I have two years left on my contract, so we will see.”

“I want to enjoy now. I have one day to rest and then I have to work hard, and I will focus on that.”

“I have people – my agent and people who speak with the clubs – and we will see what happens. I just want to enjoy the moment.  I am really happy now.”

“Of course Fulham will be successful in the Premier League for sure.”

“I am delighted with the style we play, the players, with the staff. Every part.”

“The fans really help a lot and I think I played some of the best football in my life, the last four months, and I really enjoyed it.”

Rafa Benitez may not sell Mitro until after the Work Cup finals in Russia starting on June 14th have been completed.

If he has a good tournament, then that would help raise the price of the player by attracting more clubs (to the auction), and at the moment the fee looks like it’s around £20M.

Newcastle will probably want to sell Mitro this summer since there seems no future for him at Newcastle under Rafa Benitez, although Rafa has said the Serbian will be given every chance to impress in preseason.

And which club he will join is yet to be decided even though Fulham want him at Craven Cottage.

What do you think?

Note:

Jack Farish is currently studying for a Master’s degree in sport and exercise psychology at Northumbria University.

His thesis project looks at Premier League fans’ team identification – how well they support and identify with their team.

Jack has put together a relatively short questionnaire of team identification and satisfaction with life; it should take no longer than 10 minutes.

You can help Jack by filling out the survey here.

• magscar

May 27, 2018 at 2:22 PM

Bobby

We are on same page as usual. Another thing about accounts is that they form the basis of tax returns and Club already has one unresolved enquiry hanging over it and records were seized and are still held as far as I am aware. HMRC has been keeping an eye on Football and players and club would be foolish to try anything underhand in latest accounts.

• Ron Knee

May 27, 2018 at 2:35 PM

“Rafa’s here for the season. What happens next is down to those two, but both want the same outcome, just for differing reasons.”

Can’t agree, Bobby. Ashley is only interested in PL survival at minimal outlay. Rafa’s aim is quite different.

• Bobbybee

May 27, 2018 at 2:39 PM

Ron, wait and see mate. Progress has been made.
    On another note, I see Arma played great for the U21 team and set up Tammy tap in for our only goal. The future awaits.

• crawfordm

May 27, 2018 at 2:51 PM

Dear me – more negativity from the editor of this blog – does he ever post something positive to discuss. All doom and gloom since the club SECURED premiership survival. How about sating Mitro off to world cup and will return to pre season at NUFC ? No editor goes on about selling mitro after world cup !! Sure he is NUFC supporter ?????

• Bobbybee

May 27, 2018 at 2:54 PM

Sorry, winning goal.

• Bobbybee

May 27, 2018 at 3:01 PM

According to The Mail Arma was our best player. Lovely pass to set up Tammy who simply could not miss. Think Woody might feel he could’ve done better for their goal like, but such is life.

• lesh

May 27, 2018 at 5:04 PM

“I don’t know. Of course, I am really happy here. I had the best three and a half, four months of my career.”. Ah well Mitro, you’ve just burned your bridges with Rafa.

I hope that if we sell him, it’s for a good price and not to a Prem rival club.

• lesh

May 27, 2018 at 5:08 PM

crawfordm

In fairness to Ed, he, like us all were delighted,at finishing 10th and looking forward to a good and productive summer with Rafa being signed up a good players through the door.

It didn’t take Ashley long to throw a spanner in the works though did it. He did his usual and set up yet another summer of speculation, doubt and mistrust.