Would This Experienced Center-Back Be A Good Buy For Newcastle?

Last summer we were linked heavily with former Liverpool defender Martin Skrtel, but nothing came of that.

The 32-year-old 6ft 3ins center-back joined Fenerbahce from Liverpool two years ago, and he’s played 79 games for them with 6 goals and 3 assists.

The Turkish publication Fotomac is reporting that Martin Skrtel has been offered to Newcastle this summer.

The report is that Fenerbahce want to offload the defender and the question most people would have is why do they want to do that?

32-year-old Fenerbahce center-back Martin Skrtel

Skrtel could be on big wages although the player would offer massive Premier League experience to the Newcastle team, although his career has only a few years to run.

So it would depend on his wages and transfer fee whether Newcastle would be interested in taking up the Fenerbahce offer.

Rafa will know how well his former player has performed last season in Turkey, but we would be a bit surprised if Skrtel, who plays on the Slovakia team with Martin Dubravka, arrives at Newcastle this summer.

If he does arrive, it’s probably because of his vast experience and leadership that Rafa wants him on Tyneside.

While at Liverpool for eight seasons from 2008 he played 320 times for the Reds with 18 goals and 6 assists.

The Slovakian captain has also played 97 times for his country with 6 goals.

What do you think?

Would Martin Skrtel Be A Good Acquisition For Newcastle?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

Note:

Jack Farish is currently studying for a Master’s degree in sport and exercise psychology at Northumbria University.

His thesis project looks at Premier League fans’ team identification – how well they support and identify with their team.

Jack has put together a relatively short questionnaire of team identification and satisfaction with life; it should take no longer than 10 minutes.

You can help Jack by filling out the survey here.

• Bobbybee

May 28, 2018 at 1:37 PM

No. Next.

Rotunda, how is it? Support the team, not the owner. You can easily disagree with everything an owner does and still support the team. He’s not and never will be Newcastle United.

• twotonearmy

May 28, 2018 at 1:41 PM

Not at all.

This is the move teams make that struggle and don’t move forward… oh wait come to think of it that does sound like us a little

• Bobbybee

May 28, 2018 at 1:43 PM

Certain elements of Chelsea’s fanbase are now wanting Roman to quit. Why? Because he can’t finance to the extent of City’s owners. They want an even richer owner. Apparently he’s not good enough anymore.
    We can’t always have what we want. Cruel world innit? 🙂

• Bobbybee

May 28, 2018 at 1:55 PM

Oh well, time for a quick shower before the football starts. I imagine Coventry will take about 45k at least to Wembley today.
    There’s a fine example of a team run wrongly and a club devastated. From one of the longest serving top flight clubs to a team fighting to stay in the Football League last season. I hope they win today. Then they can give Sunlun a beating next season! 🙂

• Jib

May 28, 2018 at 1:56 PM

If Skrtel had still been playing for LPool
    Sergio Ramos would not have escaped unscathed

• c-dog

May 28, 2018 at 2:00 PM

Supporting a team of Joselu’s is supporting the owners penny pinching.

• hibbit

May 28, 2018 at 2:00 PM

if Shearer was still playing for nufc we wouldn’t be looking for a CF

the what if syndrome

• Jib

May 28, 2018 at 2:05 PM

not WHAT if
    Shearer DID play for NUFC
    Skrtel DID play for LPool

• Harley

May 28, 2018 at 2:06 PM

I voted yes.

• magscar

May 28, 2018 at 2:13 PM

Nice to read some rational thought about our situation taking into account our history for many still living fans ( and posters). I get tired of the Ashley apologist labeling especially from those who should know better. Accepting it as a fait accompli is not the same as supporting him.

I prefer to be postiive and look to Rafa staying even without a change of ownership than go on and on about Ashley to the applause of the gallery but no possible effect on him.

• OneAlanShearer

May 28, 2018 at 2:20 PM

Skrtel is way passed his best. I’ve looking elsewhere for centre back competition. Rafa will know best.

• Bobbybee

May 28, 2018 at 2:24 PM

Cdog, so you don’t support us then? I find this fascinating. I have no trouble whatsoever separating Ashley from NUFC. He’s one man. We are legion.
    So, just because I disagree with the majority of what Ashley does, I can still support the team I’ve loved all my life.
    The different – and correct question – is ‘Would I prefer a different owner’?
    Yes, i would. But without 400m to buy him out, I’m left with two possible scenarios.
    One, I stop supporting Newcastle. Ha, never going to happen. Two, I accept I can’t do anything and get on with supporting the team.
    Or I suppose three, I throw my toys out the pram and scweem and scweem until I’m sick – although that changes nothing.
    So it’s number two option for me. 🙂

• c-dog

May 28, 2018 at 2:30 PM

There’s no way Ash would sanction this. Similar to Cabellero last year.

• c-dog

May 28, 2018 at 2:33 PM

All I see from you Bobby is Ashley loving. I don’t know how you can defend the man.

• magscar

May 28, 2018 at 2:45 PM

Bobby

Too many seem happier with your No 3 option and I suspect (as you were driving at earlier) many of those might be latter supporters ( because of age) and therefore lack the longer perspective and awareness of problems we have suffered going back to 60’s.

Some are clearly older, Lesh and hibbit to name 2 recent posters, but can’t seemingly move past Ashley. Thats OK but they should also accept others may not want to get bogged down in the Ashley hatred and try their best to retain positivity especially as we now have our (potentially) best manager in my lifetime.

I have posted several times since sale fell through that Ashley had better retain Rafa because the alternative will bring about nothing seen before. I still hope he has enough sense to be persuaded to that conclusion. His tenure simply depends on it. I am not panicing as yet as Rafa definitely wants to be here and Ashley wants or needs him to be so if there is the will on both sides find a way to make it happen!!

• lesh

May 28, 2018 at 3:53 PM

Skittle, 32, high wages, no sell on value – no chance!