Dubravka Admission – I’ve Never Had That Feeling Until I Came To Newcastle

Newcastle fans are celebrating today (and last night) our first signing of the summer, and it’s a good one and could turn out to be our best signing of the summer.

Martin Dubravka was delighted to join Newcastle after playing 12 games for the Magpies this year and playing in front of sold-out St. James’ Park crowds.

In our final game of the season – when we took 5th placed Chelsea apart 3-0 – Martin says he has never had the feeling he had when the game was over.

That’s when the players came out and celebrated with the fans that we had survived in the Premier League and not only that – but finished in a very respectable 10th place.

Martin Dubravka in action in his Newcastle debut against Manchester United

That’s the joint second best Premier League finish in the 11 gruesome years under Mike Ashley.

Martin has been speaking on the Newcastle United website, and this is some of what he had to say:

“The last game against Chelsea, I’ve never had that feeling.” “It was something special. I didn’t want to walk away, I wanted to stay and enjoy it.”

“I’m looking forward to the new season, to sticking together and having the fans with us. ”

“When I arrived on loan in January, I already knew Newcastle United was a great club with amazing fans.”

“The first game helped a lot in a new team. Nobody knew who I was and then suddenly I was playing against Manchester United with my teammates.”

“I really appreciate the way the fans supported us, home and away. I’ve never seen anything like that before.”

“They give us energy and that helps us to play well and give 100%.”

“I’m happy that I can be part of that relationship.”

“I’m very proud and very pleased to be a part of the club and I’m very happy that I have my future here.”

“It’s hard to put it into words because it’s something special. It means a lot. “I’m very excited for next season.”

“It is a great dressing room with great players who helped me a lot.”

The 29-year-old 10 times capped goalkeeper is currently away on International duty with Slovakia – but he will be all set to go when preseason starts on Monday, July 2nd.

Let’s hope we have another four or five new (terrific) players in by then.

Howay The Lads!!

• RobLeenio

May 31, 2018 at 2:23 PM

What do people think of Grzegorz Krychowiak from PSG? They don’t need him and had him on loan at West Brom last season, but he was one of the best players at Euro 2016 and could be the true defensive mid we have been rumoured to be looking for.

• Mr Funk

May 31, 2018 at 2:29 PM

How about Sam Byram from West Ham for RB if they are getting Fredericks

• Bobbybee

May 31, 2018 at 2:41 PM

Not sure what the fascination is with Tammy Abrahams.
    Most of the goals he scored for Bristol City were pin table balls, pinging around the six yard box. Yes, he was, there to stick them in and credit to him for that. You have to be there to score them. No problem there, but he is the epitome of a one trick pony. He simply does not score from range. Ever.
    The problem in the PL – which I predicted – is that you rarely get such chances. Balls seldom ping about the penalty area out of control because the quality of defending is much higher. Consequently he was poor for Swansea. The goals he did score were the same as for Bristol City.
    We need better than that. He cannot possibly lead our line next season. I’d sooner keep Gayle, who at least tries from distance and scored roughly the same amount of goals – and I don’t want Gayle to be our striker either.
    I’m hoping Rafa has something up his sleeve, a better option. I imagine he has.

• Tsunki

May 31, 2018 at 2:52 PM

Seems Romans visa problems are worse than mine ha ha no builders in for the minute….

• Munster Mag

May 31, 2018 at 2:53 PM

Bobby on the positive side he is quick and tall and has decent touch and is learning. I’d take him ahead of the likes of slimani or Jorgensen

• bettyswallocks

May 31, 2018 at 2:54 PM

Bobby……….. Agreed. I have said several times that we need a striker who can strike the ball with power and accuracy on a consistent basis and from distance. We’ll be very lucky if we ever find anyone to compare with Shearer in our lifetime but surely we have to start trying.

• Bobbybee

May 31, 2018 at 2:56 PM

I see Gian Marco Ferrari, defensive enforcer is available for about £11 million.
    Cold be a dark horse. Ouch, get my coat. 🙂

• DaveD1000

May 31, 2018 at 3:13 PM

Admit it you lads are just throwing scrabble tiles on the table and making half of these buggars up…..

• Sav

Jun 1, 2018 at 12:11 AM

How anyone can say a 19 year old scoring 5 prem goals in 15 appearances for a miserable relegated side is not good, beats me. Abrahams may need to grow up a bit but he is undoubtedly a handful for defences.