Laurent Robert On His Stay At Newcastle And Robson’s Shocking Sacking

French International Laurent Robert was a big success on Tyneside, and he scored some great goals.

He was at the club from 2001 through 2006 and most of his time on Tyneside was spent with Sir Bobby Robson as the manager.

Laurent has questioned why Robson was suddenly fired in August 2004.

Newcastle had finished 5th, and the team had made only a so-so start to the next season why Sir Bobby was surprisingly fired by then Chairman Freddy Shepherd.

Newcastle had gone four games that season (2004-2005) and had only 2 points when Sir Bibby was fired after losing 4-2 at Aston Villa.

It seems Robson was sacked because we missed out on the Champions League.

It’s something that Shepherd has since admitted was a huge mistake, and he was right about that.

Laurent Robert – excellent winger for Newcastle

Ever since Bobby left the club on Monday, August 30, 2004, we have been mediocre at best except for one season when we equaled 5th place back in 2012 under Alan Pardew.

Since 2007 under Mike Ashley we have competed in Europe only once.

That was in the 2012-2013 season in the Europa League, and Newcastle were fighting relegation in the second half of the season.

This is what Laurent Robert has said in the Chronicle about his time at Newcastle and especially about Sir Bibby Robson as the manager:

“I was at Newcastle United for four years and when I signed they had one of the top managers in Europe in Sir Bobby Robson.”

“And they told me they wanted to be playing in the Champions League.”

“So it was the best club for me at the time to sign for.”

“To play for Newcastle in the Champions League was fantastic as you can imagine.”

“In my first season we finished fourth, then we followed that up with third the next year.”

“In both of those seasons we challenged strongly for the Premier League title itself and we were genuine contenders for most of each year.”

“When you play football the way we did under Sir Bobby Robson and you establish yourself as one of the big four it is brilliant for a player.”

“We not only had a very good manager but great players as well, world-class players like Alan Shearer, Nobby Solano, Shay Given, and Gary Speed.”

“This was a very good group.”

“We not only worked well on the pitch but had a great relationship off it which counts for a lot.”

“I still can’t understand why he was allowed to leave.” “We finished fifth!”

“That would be a great season now for Newcastle.”

“Bobby had the team playing very well and we finished fourth, third, and then fifth so to see him leave was very strange.”

“When he left it was a different club.”

“The style of football changed too, and we tried to do different things with different players.”

“It was the reason why I left Newcastle.” “Once Bobby Robson had gone I wanted to go to.”

Laurent played for Newcastle 172 times with 30 goals and 7 assists, and he is only one of several great French wingers we have had at the club.

He was signed for £9.5M in the summer of 2001 and finally joined Benfica – managed at the time by Ronald Koeman.

Things are definitely on the up again at Newcastle under Rafa Benitez.

The club hopes to emulate what Sir Bobby Robson achieved in his short five years as manager.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Jun 3, 2018 at 3:41 PM

I very much doubt that SBR would have stayed on as a manager under the present regime.

• jane

Jun 3, 2018 at 3:44 PM

I very much doubt the present regime would have sacked SBR.

• lochinvar

Jun 3, 2018 at 3:46 PM

I very much doubt if Sir Bobby Robson would have joined as Manager under the present regime

• Essex Geordie Bill

Jun 3, 2018 at 3:53 PM

My comment was based on the premise that Shepherd hadn’t made his daft mistake to Sack SBR and was still the incumbent at SJP at time of sale.

• Jib

Jun 3, 2018 at 3:53 PM

A couple of Robert’s goals featured as the main character
    Santiago’s in the movie Goal.
    That got me thinking about the discussion the other day about
    foreign supporters of the Toon
    I wonder how many picked NUFC after the Goal movies ?

• Jib

Jun 3, 2018 at 3:58 PM

SBR was diagnosed with terminal cancer 3 months
    before Ashley bought Fat Freddy’s shares.
    So the question is academic

• Jail for Ashley

Jun 3, 2018 at 3:59 PM

Oh Jane how I’d like to put my arms around you….

• Jail for Ashley

Jun 3, 2018 at 3:59 PM

And then drown you!

• ilovetoon8788

Jun 3, 2018 at 4:18 PM

What a player Robert was. Thanks for the beautiful memories. Wand of a left foot. Some spectacular goals for us.

How much will player like Robert cost in today’s market? I think he’d for upwards of 55m pounds..

• ilovetoon8788

Jun 3, 2018 at 4:19 PM

Shearer – 100m above
    Gary speed – 70m
    Robert – 55m
    Solano – 60m

• SredniVashtar

Jun 3, 2018 at 4:20 PM

I remember seeing goal – I didn’t know Newcastle were in it so it was a fantastic surprise! I felt like I was seeing my son in a film – I was so proud. Still love that film (maybe just because Newcastle are in it) and am disappointed the sequels were so awful (although maybe that’s because he left us)
    🙂

• jane

Jun 3, 2018 at 4:22 PM

I very much doubt it

• jane

Jun 3, 2018 at 4:24 PM

i’m sure most will be aware of this documentary

“Bobby Robson: More Than a Manager”

• jane

Jun 3, 2018 at 4:25 PM

“Ahead of its release via Digital Download on 1st June and DVD/Blu-Ray on 4th June, the film will receive three special stadium screenings at Wembley Stadium, London (24th May), St James’ Park, Newcastle (22nd May) and Portman Road, Ipswich (25th May) in honour of the footballing giant. It will also be released in select theatres.”

• DaveD1000

Jun 3, 2018 at 4:38 PM

Yes we covered that a week ago Jane…??

• Jib

Jun 3, 2018 at 4:51 PM

DaveD1000
    Are you making a bid to be assistant twat to Jail for Ashley ?
    😛

• Pottsclock

Jun 3, 2018 at 5:08 PM

Very useful Jane. Thank you !!

Jun 3, 2018 at 5:09 PM

He’s only doing what you and Jane do, Jib. Take another slug of Gunk and chill.

Jun 3, 2018 at 5:10 PM

Although tbf can’t go wrong mentioning the SBR film again. 🙂

• Jib

Jun 3, 2018 at 5:13 PM

Tsunki
    Is your wife an alcoholic by any chance?
    You seem to attribute a lot of failings to drink.
    I had an acquaintance who had an alcoholic wife
    he became very cynical like you.

Jun 3, 2018 at 5:14 PM

So, Laurent name bombs some good old boys there, and the champions league years , you know the disastrous years that almost nearly might have probably definitely theoretically ruined the club. Awful shoddy owners who never did anything for us. 😉

Just thankful we were snatched out of the fire, those pestilent Keeganist flights of ambition tenderised out of us by being dunked in the championship bath a couple of times until we were thankful to just exist.

😀

Jun 3, 2018 at 5:15 PM

No Jib, neither my wife and I are alcoholic, despite our best efforts. We continue to try and haven’t given up hope we can one day achieve it. 🙂

Jun 3, 2018 at 5:16 PM

But then, I’m..not….married….hmmm…where’s that bottle of perming solution 😀

• Pottsclock

Jun 3, 2018 at 5:16 PM

Robert was some player. But Shearer hated him…never really understood why.

Jun 3, 2018 at 5:17 PM

Wasn’t that Danish wine buffs wife was it Jib? Which one of you do you reckon is to blame for that then? 🙂

Jun 3, 2018 at 5:19 PM

Pottsclock – to back up your theory I would suggest a mix of things, mostly his on/off attitude to commitment and of course he had a way better long range shot on him.

• ronaldo aarons

Jun 3, 2018 at 5:21 PM

Compare these comments to those of dyers recently on talksport. There is no comparison and just shows how each player look back on us and their time with us. Roberts the man!

Jun 3, 2018 at 5:21 PM

Jib I also have a question for you…..

Shut up?

Jun 3, 2018 at 5:22 PM

You know Mike’s offer for my astra estate? Thinking of taking it. Anyone know where he’s eating this weekend?

• Pottsclock

Jun 3, 2018 at 5:25 PM

You’re probably right Tsunki.
    I remember when we played Liverpool in the FA Cup I think. The ball was about 30yards + out on the left hand side. I turned to my mate and said, “Robert will score from this”…but it was a tight angle and some distance and so normally that would have been a ridiculous suggestion. He wacked it and got so much movement and pace on the ball that the goalie had not chance. Amazing. Every time we got a free kick within striking distance I expected him to score.

• bettyswallocks

Jun 3, 2018 at 5:26 PM

Jose Mourinho as one of Sir Bobby’s protégés has not continued the legacy of attacking football the great man practiced. With such an array of attacking talent at his disposal and choosing such a cautious negative approach is a crime against football.

The manure fans are starting to see through him now and I would suggest next season is shit or bust for Mourinho. Wor Bobby would have had that squad purring like a well oiled Rolls Royce.

Jun 3, 2018 at 5:26 PM

Dyer on his rare days was a wonderful, pacy, tricky player .

But he’s always been a rank 9065#!te

😀

Jun 3, 2018 at 5:30 PM

Pottsclock – he was great on the ball too and loved to showboat on the wing and take on several players at once.. I just think some games he switched off, probably had a Barney in training and downed tools i dunno but then some games he absolutely ran riot.

• Optimistic Panda

Jun 3, 2018 at 5:34 PM

Potts

Shearer probably hated him as Robert didn’t cross much, seven assists or something as daft in 4years.

He’s the sort of player to bring on for free kicks and pens, he smashed the ball so well.

I still smile every time I think of him smashing Bernard in the face with the ball, poor lad lol

Jun 3, 2018 at 5:35 PM

Was it this one pottsclock?

• lochinvar

Jun 3, 2018 at 5:35 PM

Scousers splashing the cash again. Wonder what they’ll pay for a striker then. Where does this value Bale then ?

Liverpool transfer news: Reds ‘offer’ £79m for Atletico Madrid keeper Jan Oblak LIVERPOOL have reportedly submitted a record-breaking offer for Atletico Madrid goalkeeper Jan Oblak.

• bettyswallocks

Dansk Mjod G.I. Dansk Mjod Mead
    Dansk Mjod G.I. Dansk Mjod Mead
    Avg. Price $29.99

Buy Danish wines »
    VARIETALS PRODUCED IN DENMARK

Read more: http://www.snooth.com/region/denmark/#ixzz5HNghausF

Here are some examples of Danish wines which go a long way to explain why Danes are more passionate about wines from elsewhere.

• Optimistic Panda

Jun 3, 2018 at 5:41 PM

Tsunki

The video on after shows all his goals, worth a watch

Jun 3, 2018 at 5:46 PM

Aye optimistic it’s good for torturing yourself that we haven’t got one of those now 😉

• Bobbybee

Jun 3, 2018 at 5:52 PM

Been a lot of talk amongst pundits re VAR. In fact, they’re currently talking about it on the radio. As it’s due to be used in the WC I was curious as to what other fans think of it.
    On face value it’s a no brainer. Get the right decision – why can that not be a good thing? Problem is, it always rests on opinion.
    I’m for it, but think it needs to be ironed out a bit more before using it in a competition run by such a corrupt organisation. I’d hate it to be won on a decision made off the field.
    It was abandoned in Germany apparently because they couldn’t get it right.
    My question is, is it, in the eyes of football fans, ready to be used yet?