Young Star Says He’s Not Worried About His Newcastle Future

Mikel Merino is set to stay at Newcastle next season, and if there are bids from some Spanish clubs interested in bringing him home,  we expect they will be turned down by Spanish manager Rafa Benitez.

Merino is one of the top youngsters at the club at the moment and was a bargain buy at just £7M when he was signed late last summer from Borussia Dortmund.

He managed to play 25 games last season for Newcastle, and that’s not too bad at all for a 21-year-old still learning his trade.

Mikel Merino – will try to improve his attacking game

Last week Mikel spoke to Spanish station Radio Marca Navarra and said this about the rumors he may return to Spain:

“In every market there are rumors of all kinds – we are in that section of football at this time, and I take it that way.”

“Right now what I want is to enjoy the holidays with my family and what happens will happen, but now I just focus on enjoying myself.”

“I’m not worried about what happens; if something happens then the agents will call my parents and they communicate it to me.”

“But I’m not spending all day waiting for the mobile to ring.”

“I had a small injury last season, and then the decisions that the coaches take we have to respect.”

“They played other team-mates, who did well, and in the end the collective objective was fulfilled.”

“I cannot do more than what I did; train to be ready when I’m chosen.”

“On a personal level, I learned a lot during my first season in England. It’s been good for me.”

“Especially at the beginning of the season, when I played more and I was able to adapt to top-level football.”

“The competition that exists in the Premier League, where each game is a war and the pace is so high – it has been very good for me to learn.”

If Merino is to become a star on Tyneside he will need to improve, but his potential seems enormous, and he will be well coached by his compatriot Rafa Benitez.

He’s still young, and there is plenty of time for the youngster to come through big time at Newcastle.

• Bobbybee

Jun 3, 2018 at 10:00 AM

To be quite frank, I don’t think he knows what he wants to do. Different interviews he says different things. Even this one he’s, talking about what will be will be, not that he’s committed to Newcastle. Will be interesting if an offer does come in for him.

• The next Mike Williamson

Jun 3, 2018 at 10:04 AM

He is exceptional for his age. These types of players who have the ability to control games and set the tempo don’t usually peak until much later, like Shelvey is finally doing. When he’s 28 he could be World Class.

• Jail for Ashley

Jun 3, 2018 at 10:04 AM

Jiblets,
    Tell us what the Queen said in French to that Canadian delegate after Phillip farted at her sixtieth birthday bash, I heard the place creased up!

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Jun 3, 2018 at 10:04 AM

Bobby…when you’re arguing every player Rafa signs pans out then there’s really no need to bring other managers in to the discussion

• Jail for Ashley

Jun 3, 2018 at 10:05 AM

Bobby,
    It certainly sounds as though a move has been discussed mind.

• Jib

Jun 3, 2018 at 10:05 AM

t’s a shame Ed has picked a foto where he
    looks like he’s just spotted a lurking
    Tyrannosaurus rex ahead

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Jun 3, 2018 at 10:06 AM

Jail…I don’t have the time in the world for you…

…and how should be able to explain to you what you guys are saying? I am scratching my hair as it is

• Bobbybee

Jun 3, 2018 at 10:08 AM

Jesper, nobody claimed that every signing he made panned out. And there’s, every reason to bring other managers in if you want to compare – which is the only way to make fair judgement.

• kimbo

Jun 3, 2018 at 10:08 AM

He is a No10 and should be played in that position and we will see the player he really is. He suffered from a back injury and hopefully this has cleared up. If we are buying a striker with pace Merino could link up very well. He also is very good when defending corners as he is good in the air.

• Jib

Jun 3, 2018 at 10:10 AM

The Canadian said
    “Dammit man you farted in front of my wife”
    The Queen replied in perfect French
    “Il s’excuse, il pensait que c’était son tour”

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Jun 3, 2018 at 10:12 AM

Oh Bobby but they did…and hence my response!

…maybe the wording was different

• Tsunki

Jun 3, 2018 at 10:13 AM

Before. Have another go Jib. No. Don’t.

• Tsunki

Jun 3, 2018 at 10:14 AM

Bobby, I know you probably feel loathe to take my advice. But…..don’t. honestly…don’t. 🙂

• Bobbybee

Jun 3, 2018 at 10:15 AM

Jesper, did they? Where? I didn’t see it then. I can’t imagine anybody saying every signing Rafa has made has worked, because no manager has a record like that. But if you say they did then point it out and I’ll accept they were wrong.

• Bobbybee

Jun 3, 2018 at 10:17 AM

Tsunki, I’ll take your advice. 🙂 I don’t bear grudges and never have. I see where this is heading and yes, I see you’re right. 😉

• The next Mike Williamson

Jun 3, 2018 at 10:22 AM

I can’t remember Keegan getting many flops first time round. Although it was arguably easier to make good signings then.

• Jib

Jun 3, 2018 at 10:23 AM

Bobby do you think we’ll put Pakistan away
    at Headingley today

• ArtyH

Jun 3, 2018 at 11:44 AM

JMHO Rafa is the best manager we have had at our club for years and that includes SBR and K.K!
    However the way I see it Rafa has a very real chance of winning a cup this year, but still has not signed an extension to his contract. How ironic it would be if Rafa won a cup and moved on next season!
    Just sayin….