Can Newcastle Afford This Giant Striker – 70 Goals In Two Seasons


It’s another summer transfer window, so Newcastle are again being reported to be after Sporting Lisbon striker Bas Dost.

Newcastle were heavily linked with the Netherlands International last summer but Newcastle but couldn’t afford the fee – said to be a 60M release clause – which was a little bit ridiculous for Newcastle at that time.

One thing that has recently changed is the player wants to leave the club.

Three weeks ago a group of hooded supporters (about 50 in number), armed with sticks and belts, attacked players and staff of Sporting Lisbon at the club’s training complex.

At the time the media published pictures of Dost with cuts on his head, and two of the assistant coaches were also injured.

Some Sporting players are even saying  they no longer feel safe in Portugal’s capital

Bas Dost – 6ft 5ins striker – 70 goals for Sporting Lisbon in two years

And back in April Sporting President Bruno De Carvalho openly criticized his players’ lack of professionalism when they lost 2-0 at Atletico Madrid in a quarter-final game.

In the second leg, Sporting won 1-0 but were knocked out.

Portuguese newspaper Record said at the time that Dost was then determined to leave Sporting this summer.

It was a difficult season for the Portuguese club who finished third in the Primeira Liga behind Champions Porto and Benfica and reached the quarter-finals of the Europa League.

Dost has been a frequent goalscorer for the Lisbon club, and last season he scored 34 goals and had 7 assists in 49 total games.

And since he joined Sporting from Wolfsburg two years ago for a fee of 12M (£10.5M), he has scored 70 goals and has 13 assists in 90 total appearances.

So it does seem that Dost will push hard for a move this summer – the big question as always is whether Newcastle have enough money to buy him.

It will be a surprise if Newcastle can afford to bring in the 18 times capped Netherlands International.

Comments welcome.


7 comments so far

  • kimbo

    Jun 5, 2018 at 3:13 PM

    Comment #1

    Why waste your time on this, it won`t happen.

    0
  • Munster Mag

    Jun 5, 2018 at 3:14 PM

    Comment #2

    Agree limbo, it just looks miles too pricey. Not too much for wolves or Brighton etc I’m sure!

    1
  • lesh

    Jun 5, 2018 at 3:19 PM

    Comment #3

    Way man

    You’ve no need to worry about whether a comment about one of Jib’s claims upsets him or not – he makes that many it’s hard to tell truth from fantasy plus you’re never really sure who’s posting under the name of Jib. There seems to be a Jib posting 24/7 and he must have an army of little helpers to maintain his presence on the Blog. What a sad existence.

    2
  • lesh

    Jun 5, 2018 at 3:21 PM

    Comment #4

    Way man = Wayayman.

    Sorry about that

    0
  • switch365

    Jun 5, 2018 at 3:32 PM

    Comment #5

    Should have bought him 2 years ago, would be very fruitful for any Premier League club tbh. He’s a goalscorer and whilst we’d love someone popping them in for fun at the Gallowgate, he’ll be far too pricy for the slug to agree the purchase of.

    1
  • Geordie-john

    Jun 5, 2018 at 4:19 PM

    Comment #6

    Why not ! There was a time when NUFC could have bought anyone, OH hang on GREEDY COCK-ney is holding the purse strings now ! Oh we can but dream I suppose.

    3
  • kakaobi

    Jun 5, 2018 at 5:24 PM

    Comment #7

    I’d say at a guess 17 out of 18 probably could afford him

    0

You must log in to post a comment.