Player Has Done Brilliantly For England – But Could Still Be Sold This Summer

Newcastle local lad Adam Armstrong has been praised by England Under-21 boss Aidy Boothroyd for his displays so far for the England U21 side.

Both goalkeeper Freddie Woodman and Adam are in the England U21 squad playing in the Toulouse Tournament and England have won it the last couple of years.

Armstrong has now played twice for the England U21 side and has a goal and an assist to his name.

England will play Scotland in the semi-finals having qualified as the best runner-up in the tournament with 7 points from their three games.

Adam Armstrong on loan at Blackburn – 9 goals in 21 appearances this year

Mexico, Scotland, and Turkey were the three group winners, and both semi-finals will take place tomorrow.

This is what manager Aidy Boothroyd has said about Adam Armstrong:

“He has found his pathway blocked at this level, but when I called him to ask him to come and play here, he could not have been more enthusiastic.”

“It has probably been frustrating for him, not getting picked for squads, but he has come in and done brilliantly.”

“He has probably been our best player at the tournament and I cannot speak highly enough of him.

“We’ve got a number of new players who have emerged at this tournament and they will be putting pressure on the more established names in the squad, and that is precisely what we want.”

Even though Adam is doing well for the England U21 side, we still expect him to be sold by Rafa Benitez this summer.

Rafa will take a close look at him in preseason, but the manager may have already made up his mind about the Chapel House youngster.

Adam has played 51 times for the various England youth sides and has scored 31 goals.

He scored an impressive 9 goals in 21 games for Blackburn this year while on loan.

What do you think?

• DubaiMicky

Jun 5, 2018 at 2:25 PM

If Rafa does sell him I think there could be the beginnings of some discontent in The Gallowgate.

• DaraghL

Jun 5, 2018 at 2:36 PM

Repost

Essex –

I was looking over past threads and saw you were asking about the Green card. Given that Paddy Power are sponsoring, I would suspect it is a marketing ploy; however in Ireland a similar process seems to work.

In Gaelic Football (GAA) a black card is used (rather than taking out a card, the ref just shows the booklet). It is used for a deliberate foul or abusing an opposition player or ref. The vast majority of the time they are given to players for pulling somebody back intentionally. Rather than being sent off the player is forced to be substituted for the remainder of the game. If you get a yellow and a black card you receive a red card. If the intentional foul is also worthy of a red, a straight red is given.

It’s been in place about 4/5 years now and works very well in my opinion. I would definitely recommend it gets brought into football. Maybe try it first in the Irish League to test at a relatively lower level how it works in Football.

• RobLeenio

Jun 5, 2018 at 2:37 PM

Micky, it makes you wonder how much we would have to spend to bring in Tammy Abraham, Dominic Solanke or Dominic Calvert-Lewin and how much we’ll be looking to sell Armstrong for. He’s putting millions on his value by being out there. If scores the winner in the final, he’ll become one of the hottest properties on the market. I bet Blackburn are hoping he gets benched for the next couple of games so they can still afford him.

The decision to sell before he gets his chance with us and retain Joselu (if that’s what happens) is starting to look a little perverse.

• Jib

Jun 5, 2018 at 2:40 PM

For season 2018/2019 Under-21 players will have been born on or after 1 January 1997.
    Unfortunately Adam Armstrong was born 10 February 1997
    Therefore Rafa doesn’t get a free hit with him.
    He has to be one of the permitted 8 Home grown players.
    If Rafa is looking at reinforcing with English players he may
    well have to be sacrificed.

I think the best solution for all at the moment , would be to offer him to
    an interested lower table PL club , or a higher grade Championship
    side for 6 months

• RobLeenio

Jun 5, 2018 at 2:40 PM

EGB, looks like Bradley Dack will be staying at Blackburn with a new deal. Just in case you’d ever considered he may be a good deal for us.

• hibbit

Jun 5, 2018 at 2:41 PM

Re arma
    as you know bobby i rate this lad very highly but i fear his time is up with us
    i now think it’s in his own best interest to move on and fill his football ambitions with another club,

i do hope the club have sense enough to put a buy back /sell on clause in any sale because there’s no doubt in my mind the lad will come good

• Jib

Jun 5, 2018 at 2:44 PM

Shit
    I’ve just realised my gaffe
    Adam doe qually
    Ha ha ha
    I’m pulling my shorts down as I type Mr Tuff

• RobLeenio

Jun 5, 2018 at 2:44 PM

Jib, last time I checked, 10th February 1997 occurred over a month after 1st January 1997. Unless you’ve got your dates wrong, he qualifies as a free squad player as others have previously said.

• Jib

Jun 5, 2018 at 2:47 PM

does qualify as under-age

• Jail for Ashley

Jun 5, 2018 at 2:48 PM

Why sell him for peanuts, surely Blackburn would have him on loan and pay all of his wages.

• Jib

Jun 5, 2018 at 2:52 PM

Jail
    According to the Chronic he’s on £15k pw
    his wages are hardly a big issue

• Munster Mag

Jun 5, 2018 at 3:08 PM

Jail if I get pissed off with Rafa if he sells arma I’m called a Rafa hater. Not that it matters. I have showered Rafa with praise but you choose to remember only negative comments. Laughable because I’m as happy as anyone with him but have never seen an issue with disagreement with tactics or players occasionally. Rafa himself would want that, as he has shown himself by his fan dialogue. But you are so absolutist that you couldn’t see the distinction.

• Munster Mag

Jun 5, 2018 at 3:13 PM

Jib that comment I made about Rafa was incorrect to be fair. My fault. Jail, to say I was playing a ‘cancer card’ in praising Rafa for bringing in the fan with pancreatic cancer is really cheap of you. We can all disagree etc but that was positively nasty, and that has nothing to do with Ed. My wife struggled through cancer so believe me, I wasn’t playing a card of any form.

• kimbo

Jun 5, 2018 at 3:17 PM

Another of the so called new Shearer`s, Adam Campbell, Paul Brayson etc, they are too small for the PL.

• AdoptedGeordie

Jun 5, 2018 at 3:36 PM

We should be right in the market for Xherdan Shaqiri 12 million 26 years old great experience would add to flair and set pieces and also challenge Perez at number 10 could be used on flanks or in midfield if pushing for a win, sign the little radgy up

• Tosun A. Wobbler

Jun 5, 2018 at 4:50 PM

Kimbo, Arma’s the same height as Michael Owen.Just sayin’ is all.

• jrb

Jun 5, 2018 at 8:41 PM

Just watched his goal for the U21s and he was very sharp when it broke to him and wacked it in from 15 yards no bother. Haven’t said that for a while from any of our forwards. I’d still like him to be given a run as he may be short but he has legs like a tank and natural pace as all little strikers who have succeeded in the past eg Michael Owen. Messi’s about 3 feet high and I don’t think Maradona was big either except for his long arms