Newcastle Must Make A Decision On The Future Of Peter Beardsley

The Mail is reporting that Newcastle U23 manager Peter Beardsley made discriminatory comments to Yasin Ben El-Mhanni and that he was ‘generally unfair’ to the player.

That’s the results of a panel that has ruled on an independent appeal.

The young Newcastle player lodged an official complaint against Peter Beardsley back in January, and after the club looked into the matter, Beardsley was suspended.

It’s ironic that Yasin Ben El-Mhanni is one of the players who will be released this summer when his contract runs out on June 30th.

Rafa Benitez with Peter Beardsley in better times

The results of the appeal backed up Newcastle’s initial findings of unfair treatment by Beardsley.

The Mail is also reporting that a hearing into allegations of racism against Beardsley took place in May.

Like most things at Newcastle under Ashley this has dragged on since January, and now Newcastle have to make some decisions on the future of Peter Beardsley.

The Newcastle U23 coach denies all the allegations.

• Bobbybee

Jun 6, 2018 at 9:22 AM

Sad to see a legend make such a fall from grace as this. Like a lot of us he’s, from a different generation where giving someone a hard time was deemed as adding character. How times change.
    That said of course, if the racist allegations turn out to be true it is indefensible.
    I was brought up in what would now be described as ‘an institutionalised racist household’. Not that my parents were overtly racist, just their language was from the thirties and wouldn’t wash now,but I managed to escape that and nobody should use that as, an excuse.
    I truly hope it’s wrong, but it sure ain’t looking good for Pedro.

• Tsunki

Jun 6, 2018 at 9:26 AM

Not excusing what he might have said or done but in any case, great a player as he was he’s probably a throwback to a different age, a middle aged lad who never kept up with the common sensibility of the times.

In the distant past I left school to become an apprentice, a sidekick to a qualified man who delighted in setting impossible tasks, pranks and insults, a horrible but character forming experience where bullying was the order of things. Beardo is probably a little bit tainted with that and hasn’t managed to let go of those crucial things that mark someone as discriminatory.

• Ben Afri

Jun 6, 2018 at 9:28 AM

Bobby
    I know where you’re coming from with everything you said. Aside from the obvious sadness I feel about Beardsley’s fall from grace as he was hero worshipped by both my dad and I, the times we live in change. And it doesn’t necessarily mean someone who holds culturally outdated views is a bad person. Just that they’ve adapted well to their environment as we all learn to do. I grew up in a relatively subtly racist family too…subtle as it may have been, it was there.

• RobLeenio

Jun 6, 2018 at 9:38 AM

Posada, I think if 2 years ago following relegation, we had been asked to rank the worst PL owners, we would all have had Ashley at the top of the list. Now, it’s clear that the owners of Sunderland, Villa, Chelsea and Palace have either actually or potentially left their clubs in far more perilous circumstances than Ashley has with NUFC.

Does that make Ashley a good owner? No. Does it make me think that those who said ‘be careful what you wish for’ around the Staveley buy-out negotiation could have had a point? Possibly. I still want him gone, but hope that we end up with someone more responsible than Ellis Short or Tony Xia.

• Jib

Jun 6, 2018 at 9:41 AM

I grew up in North Shields which had virtually no
    minorities so I never experienced racism by my
    peers. We had one black kid in my junior school
    and he was a school hero as he was great at sports.
    I knew the Burgo family quite well Snr and Jnr .
    Strange I never heard anyone use the “N” word against
    either of the Manny’s – I wonder why ?

😛

• Bobbybee

Jun 6, 2018 at 9:42 AM

Tsunki, We’re you sent for ‘a long standing weight?’ ‘tartan paint’ and ‘sky hooks’ from the store? 🙂 There was no mercy back then matey was there?

• Nicky the ball tosser

Jun 6, 2018 at 9:43 AM

Doesn’t matter what generation he comes from. You don’t need to be Brains Benton to know it isn’t on. Actually it’s rubbish. My favorite all time player, but he deserves to lose his job over this. Should resign.

• RobLeenio

Jun 6, 2018 at 9:44 AM

Tosun from previous – bravo sir, hilarious.

• The next Mike Williamson

Jun 6, 2018 at 9:45 AM

it’s definitely a generation thing. if you sit in any local bar with a bunch of 50yrs+ regulars you’ll hear that sort of language. while i’m not saying it’s acceptable in a bar, it’s just plain stupid to say these things at work,especially when you work with young people who generally don’t like this language and especially when a large proportion of youth players are black or asian.

• Ben Afri

Jun 6, 2018 at 9:45 AM

Eddie Murphy: “I never hear white people say N***** no more, especially when there’s N****** around so I guess I wouldn’t know”

• Ben Afri

Jun 6, 2018 at 9:48 AM

Nicky the ball tosser
    Nobody is saying that it’s okay. You don’t need the heart of a lion to say it’s not on either. It’s very widely accepted and we all know that. Ofcourse if he’s guilty, he should go. We’re just not bringing out the pitchforks.

• Ben Afri

Jun 6, 2018 at 9:50 AM

The next Mike Williamson
    Totally

• JohnJ

Jun 6, 2018 at 9:52 AM

I’m sorry that such a magnificent player as Peter Beardsley finds himself in this situation. However I saw him to a “Talk In” at The Black Horse in Monkseation some years ago and was shocked by the fact he seemed incapable of putting a sentence together with a string of F words even though there were many females present. My opinion of him as a person went down quite a few notches after that.

From a young age on the workshop floor we were expected to “bite our tounges” when a women was around. It seems to have all changed now but I still refrain from using bad language when ladies are present! I got “initiated” as all the lads did, at that time, but it was a case of grin & bear it!

However I can’t see any future in Peter Beardsley’s continued employment at Newcastle United FC

• JohnJ

Jun 6, 2018 at 9:56 AM

Bobbyvee @ No 6

Been there and done it, I was sent along to the stores for a long stand and I was kept waiting for some time before the penny dropped!

• kimbo

Jun 6, 2018 at 10:09 AM

Has Beardsley had diversity training, if not Ashley is responsible for Peter`s actions. Welcome to the snowflake society.
    Anyway the under 21`s etc need new direction as Beardsley had failed as there are no players coming through the system to the 1st team.

• beefman13

Jun 6, 2018 at 10:44 AM

Pedro more than a legend at the toon, it just sounds like a little spiteful kid getting his own back cos he was not getting a game, Pedro is a gentlemen, the young lad has spoilt himself now, no one will go near him, good.

• Geordie-john

Jun 6, 2018 at 11:35 AM

What a shame that the likes Peter B an absolute legend for NUFC on the pitch has fallen victim to another person playing the race card against him. Unfortunately It wins every time it’s used and not just in football. You can’t even say anything slightly suspicious even in confidence or indirectly at it can be turned on it’s head and against you in a second. Then you are left with impossible task of justifying the mountain that was originally a molehill. Good luck Peter !

• Farmer Albert

Jun 6, 2018 at 12:27 PM

Geordie-john Yes, I fully agree. He had the impossible task of justifying racism.

This is not a game of poker, “the race card” is not randomly dealt out when the cards are shuffled. Beardsley’s not only an adult who is fully responsible for all his actions, but in a position of responsibility over young people. To treat them “unfairly” is bad enough, to use racially insulting stereotypes is untenable. It’s irrelevant whether he was a legend playing football. No-one would tolerate this behaviour in everyday life, never mind from managers in the workplace, teachers, nurses, people baking cakes for your wedding, or public officials. The same standard applies, he must leave the club.

He is not the victim here. No-one can make a mountain out of a molehill, unless you create the molehill. It’s easy to avoid complaints of racism – don’t be racist.

• Geordie-john

Jun 6, 2018 at 1:53 PM

Are you saying i’m racist ?? I hope not !
    I deal with the public and have done for over 30 years. regularly I have witnessed many things being said both directly and in directly which I would have considered non racist. however because the option was available for this to be turned in the other direction , It was and unfairly.
    You have just turned the tables on my comment ! My point has been justified with you turning the tables on me . WHY ????