Report – Newcastle Well Positioned To Sign One Of Rafa’s Former Players

Newcastle have already been linked with Espanyol’s David Lopez this summer.

Newcastle manager Rafa Benitez, while manager of Napoli signed Lopez in the summer of 2014 on a five-year deal – so Rafa knows all about the 28-year-old holding midfielder.

He was signed from Espanyol, and after two years at Napoli and one year after Rafa had left the club, he returned to Espanyol.

David Lopez – while at Napoli

There’s a report in Mundo Deportivo today that Newcastle are one of the clubs leading the chase for Lopez, who is one of Espanyol’s best players.

Sports General Director Oscar Perarnau has said the Spanish club have already rejected many offers for the player and the only way he will leave the club will be through the payment of the termination clause.

That termination clause in the contract is a whopping €40M, and there’s no way any club’s going to pay that amount.

Mundo Deportivo are reporting Newcastle and Valencia are the two clubs leading the chase for the defender and that Espanyol may be open to negotiating on his release clause.

So it seems David Lopez may be a possibility for Newcastle, but it depends on what fee Espanyol really want for their player.

• TyneMouth

Jun 6, 2018 at 3:20 PM

Even if we sell Lascelles for £60M, Rafa will only have a maximum of £14M to spend!

Transfer policy, as prescribed by our very successful businessman owner, is to buy new players for cash up-front, but in contradiction, sell our best players for a series of annual installments! No, me neither…

So selling our Captain, who is a fast developing defender, and a probable future International, and only have a maximum 25% of his sale value to buy his replacement , seems rather amateurish to say the least.

You’d have though having a hard nosed, billionaire businessman for an owner would be a big advantage…

• hibbit

Jun 6, 2018 at 3:22 PM

Ha, well positioned that will be at the back of the queue then !!!!!

• TyneMouth

Jun 6, 2018 at 3:24 PM

I know that 25% of £60m is £15m, but Ashley instinctively will hold something back!

Nature of the Beast, sadly…

• Munster Mag

Jun 6, 2018 at 3:30 PM

I think the payment method is a bit of an eye opener for us and a bank closer for Rafa.

Jun 6, 2018 at 3:30 PM

Tynemouth
    I can see why you don’t own a business
    If every year we get 25% of past sales
    surely they get factored into this years
    available funds ?

• RobLeenio

Jun 6, 2018 at 3:36 PM

“If every year we get 25% of past sales
    surely they get factored into this years
    available funds ?”

You would hope so, Jib – but show me where in the club accounts they were highlighted as an income stream. I have a feeling you’ll struggle, but would love to be proven wrong. If it’s not obvious how much we’ve sold a player for and on what terms (which it isn’t and doesn’t need to be, legally speaking) then it’s hard to see if that income is being siphoned off elsewhere.

Jun 6, 2018 at 3:38 PM

Munster, I think Rafa will be loathe to sell Lascelles mate but part of his project is to make the club wipe its own nose, therefore he might view it as a necessary evil. That would present him with over a hundred million to spend. Well over.
    That said, the alternative argument has to be what he’ll be worth next season, or the season after. If he thinks he can progress on whatever he gets to spend this summer, he might decide to keep him. I would. His value won’t decrease.
    From what I can gather he wants to improve every season. He won’t achieve his goal in one season, nor should we expect him to. What is for sure is that if he’s sold behind his back he’ll be on his way. So if he is sold, I think it will be Rafa’s choice.

Jun 6, 2018 at 3:45 PM

For anyone interested, Freesports has both Toulon Tournament semi-finals live today.
    Mexico v Turkey is a 4 o’clock ko, with the England v Scotland game at 6.30.Sky Channel 422. 422 sounds like our formation when Taylor, Bowyer and Dyer got sent off v Villa.

• TyneMouth

Jun 6, 2018 at 3:52 PM

Jib@ #5.

I do own a business, out of interest.

Yes, you can factor in future payments with certain provisions and limitations, invariably with financial implications.

You seem to have time on your hands, so rather than trying to score points for the benefit of the owner’s ego, you could try Google for some business fundamentals. Such as ‘inflation, depreciation, cash flow.’

Jun 6, 2018 at 3:59 PM

Robleenio
    If you check the accounts
    it’s part of the Strategic report
    Under
    Player amortisation and trading
    Remember we are 12 months behind
    so for accounts made up to 30 June 2017
    Profit on disposal of players registrations
    is £42.3m
    So looking at previous years I am guessing
    this year it’s about £50M

• Mister Tuff

Jun 6, 2018 at 4:02 PM

Hahahaha tremendous blogging today, absolutely tremendous.

Now it’s Jib the accountant.

That’s on top of Jib the Lecturer in Modern European History, Jib the Lecturer in Psychology and Jib the Postman.

How does he spare the time to come on here.

Jun 6, 2018 at 4:11 PM

Mr Tuff
    People mock
    a / What they fear
    or
    b / Cannot understand

I cannot believe a hard nut like you
    is scared of the accounts therefore
    I’m guessing it’s option b

• Dagwoodz

Jun 6, 2018 at 4:16 PM

Jib,

It’s not an either or…..the third option is “what is utterly ridiculous”.

• Mister Tuff

Jun 6, 2018 at 4:18 PM

Jib – I’m only posting what you have stated previously.

Jun 6, 2018 at 4:18 PM

Dagwoodz
    So we know your opinion of me
    Cheers

Jun 6, 2018 at 4:20 PM

Mr Tuff
    You are lying
    to what end I have no idea
    I have not claimed to be any
    of those things.

• Dagwoodz

Jun 6, 2018 at 4:23 PM

Jib,

Don’t conflate my opinion of you, which is fairly neutral, to my opinion of what you stated, or at least my possible opinion. I was merely pointing out that things aren’t as binary as you tried to paint it with that either/or statement.

Jun 6, 2018 at 4:24 PM

Young Mexican player called Linez played really well when they played us and is giving Turkey’s defence problems already. Only 17 I believe. Presume he plays at home for a local club at that age. Might be one for the future Rafa.

Jun 6, 2018 at 4:26 PM

They are binary for Mr Tuff
    he has no comprehension
    of what is utterly ridiculous.

Jun 6, 2018 at 4:30 PM

Mexico score the first goal. Fed by Linez to Aguirre who casually lobs the keeper.

Jun 6, 2018 at 4:32 PM

Bobby
    Belgium vs Egypt 19.45 may be worth a watch
    I know it goes against the grain
    but
    It’s being shown on MUTV

Jun 6, 2018 at 4:39 PM

Jib, wouldn’t give Manure my money mate 🙂 If its free view I’ll tune in after the England v Scotland game, but giving those tossers just three quid deffo goes against the grain 🙂

Jun 6, 2018 at 4:40 PM

Ha ha ha
    I get it free with my system

Jun 6, 2018 at 4:49 PM

Half time, 40 minute halves in these games. Mexico one up and it’s getting a bit tasty. Mexico already had one stretchered off.

• RobLeenio

Jun 6, 2018 at 4:50 PM

Bobby, Diego Lainez – the next Mexican wonderkid, plays for Club America, was linked with Liverpool as of last October although it seems to have come to nothing. I have a feeling that Rafa will be very aware of him, but will not be alone….

Jun 6, 2018 at 4:56 PM

The match is here for anyone
    interested

Jun 6, 2018 at 4:57 PM

I don’t think much of the halftime music
    😛

Jun 6, 2018 at 5:06 PM

Rob, aye, first time I’d seen him was against England and he impressed me then, as he has today. We drew 0-0 with them that game but rested Arma and Abrahams that game. If we get through they’ll both start.

• Mister Tuff

Jun 6, 2018 at 5:10 PM

Jib – of course you have never claimed any of those things.

Oh oh hang on what’s this I found :-

“Jib
    Jun 14, 2015 at 10:45 AM
    Never Googled it
    Didn’t have to cos , I know stuff , am well travelled , read a lot , and most importantly listen.
    Just because a blogger explains something doesn’t mean he agrees with it.
    I lecture on Modern European History , I could tell you stuff about the Einsatzgruppen in the Ukraine that would make your hair stand on end , that doesn’t mean I agree with genocide.”

I rest my case.

• RobLeenio

Jun 6, 2018 at 5:12 PM

Bobby, I’ve seen nothing of the kid but read a couple of match reports from the Mexico match which mentioned him, so I immediately got my ‘I wonder if we could get this lad’ head on and looked him up. I’ve seen a few YouTube vids of his skills now. Impressive.

Jun 6, 2018 at 5:16 PM

Rob, definitely one for the future mate. Rafa is looking for academy players to break through so he might already have his number in that little black book of his. I’d be more surprised if he didn’t like! 🙂

Jun 6, 2018 at 5:18 PM

Mister Tuff
    Jun 14, 2015 at 11:12 AM
    Hahahaha – well what a good laugh today -when I read :-
    “I lecture on Modern European History” – Jeff from Benwell now saying he’s a lecturer.
    Jeff – who are your students/pupils. Let me guess.
    No order of priority – your missus, the dog, the cat and the budgie.
    Hahahaha. What a knacker – you tell more lies than Ian Toon and that’s saying something.

whoops

that would appear to be Jeff from Benwell not me

Nice try

I rest my case

Jun 6, 2018 at 5:19 PM

Aguirre again, 2-0. Started once again by Lainez. Lovely team goal

Jun 6, 2018 at 5:20 PM

Looks like we’ll be playing Mexico
    I’m assuming we’ll beat the sweaty socks

Jun 6, 2018 at 5:22 PM

This is Turkey U20
    Some big lads for U20 !

Jun 6, 2018 at 5:23 PM

Like I say, we drew with them with players rested, so got to have a chance. Won’t be an easy game v the jocks because they always raise their game against us.

• swemag

Jun 6, 2018 at 5:24 PM

Hmm…claims that Dwight Gayle does not want to leave Toon this summer. Disappointing I think. That is 10-15 million that I think can be used better.

Jun 6, 2018 at 5:25 PM

Jib, their striker certainly is! Must be 6’3″ at least.

Jun 6, 2018 at 5:28 PM

swemag
    I’m not sure I agree
    DG’s last quarter of the season he looked greatly
    improved.
    Will always be a good squad player

Jun 6, 2018 at 5:32 PM

Oh dear. Lainez off I jured. They need to hope he’s fit for the final. He has been targeted throughout the game mind you.