Newcastle Have Advantage In Trying To Sign This Transfer Target

Newcastle have been linked with Lille defensive midfielder Thiago Maia, who turned 21 in March.

These are the type of good young players Rafa wants to bring into the club, and at 21-years-old Maia would immediately challenge for a first team starting spot at Newcastle.

Newcastle are reported to have bid for the player, and that bid was immediately turned down by Lille, but the advantage Newcastle have is that Lille are in severe financial trouble at the moment.

Because of that, the French club are willing to sell Maia but only at the right price – so that price could determine whether Newcastle can sign the Brazilian U23 International.

Thiago Maia – in action against Montpellier last season

Lille paid  14M (about £12.3M) for him a year ago when he was signed from Santos so they will want more than that if they sell him this summer.

A couple of days ago Maia talked to Brazilian outlet Globoesporte:

“I am very happy in Lille and I hope to continue so that I can gain a little more experience in Europe,

“I know that this first season I had was about learning and it was not easy, not only for me but also for the other Brazilians, the other athletes and the coach as well.”

“But I hope that what happened in the past does not happen in the present.”

“What I felt most difficult about the adaptation was with food and language.”

“Because my mother did not go with me at first, and then I had to eat what I had there, I got used to not eating rice, beans, meat and not having it was difficult for me.”

“But soon after my mother went with me and things were getting on slowly – I even lost some muscle mass because I was not eating well at first.”

Thiago Maia made 37 appearances for Lille last year in all competitions with one goal.

And he was in the Brazilian side that won the 2016 Summer Olympics in Rio de Janeiro when they beat Germany 5-4 on penalties after the game had finished 1-1 after extra time.

He would be an excellent long-term signing for Newcastle.

What do you think?

• Jail for Ashley

Jun 9, 2018 at 9:20 AM

Nicky,
    It’s been bizarre the way you have defended Ashleys motives since changing your moniker.

• Tosun A. Wobbler

Jun 9, 2018 at 9:27 AM

I’ll bet Mike Ashley can get in touch with Jim Ratcliffe and offer him a terrific PL club for 20% of the price he’s offering for Chelsea.
    Doesn’t matter that he lives in London (admittedly Chelsea itself), Mashley hardly ever comes here anyway.

• Tosun A. Wobbler

Jun 9, 2018 at 9:30 AM

That seemed like a smarty idea when I was typing it. Now I read it back, it’s a crock.

• ilovetoon8788

Jun 9, 2018 at 9:31 AM

Selling Lejeune for 20m & Lascelles for 40m will mean 60m of additional transfer budget for Rafa to splash.

Will be cracking window if we can offload both of them. i’d say if Rafa is given additional 60m from them, we’d be challenging the top 6.

• Nicky the ball tosser

Jun 9, 2018 at 9:31 AM

Evidence please, or do the right thing and run along.

• DubaiMicky

Jun 9, 2018 at 9:32 AM

Jim Ratcliffe loves Land Rover Defenders too, so much so he’s rumoured to be putting them back into production.

• Jail for Ashley

Jun 9, 2018 at 9:35 AM

Tosun,
    I think Chelsea’s value, if true relies on what the acreage of prime London real estate is, I’d be very worried if a mackem bought us if the ground was saleable. Then again that’s a moot point, Ashley would have moved us to Killingworth years ago if he could.

• DubaiMicky

Jun 9, 2018 at 9:35 AM

And impressive how his wealth has gone from £7-20Bn in only 4 months. I wish I was backing the same horses he was to get that growth.

• jazzyp

Jun 9, 2018 at 9:37 AM

Ashley is all about maximising income over expenditure.
    He gambled big time last season with our position in the Pl. Just tell me please when we were in desperate need of investement in the squad in January… where was the outlay apart from loan player incoming.
    Every business model is run on a foundation,And if you keep undermining that foundation… eventually it will collapse as it has done twice under his tenureship

• Nicky the ball tosser

Jun 9, 2018 at 9:40 AM

My view of Ashley has been entirely consistent. Sustainability is good in principle, but he had failed to hire sufficient quality in key positions to allow the club to punch its weight, until now, and that he should have always been paying for his advertising, and should now. That’s it.

• Average_Contents

Jun 9, 2018 at 9:43 AM

Whatever we sell a player for doesn’t equate to Rafa having all the cash from that transfer though does it.

We pay all of the sum when buying (apparently) but let clubs pay us over a few seasons I.e sissoko so no it wouldn’t be good business to sell any of our integral players because we wouldn’t get all the cash to replace them.

I can’t quite work out why we do this.

The only thing I can think of is it benefits the books somehow but this is detrimental to the team. Something we know the fat fcuks not arsed about.

Fat slug out

Hwtl
    Hwtf

• lesh

Jun 9, 2018 at 9:47 AM

Nicky

You’ve reverted to being an advocate for Ashley’s greed and mismanagement – is it time for another dose of your medication?

Get a grip and stop taking the pi$$ out of those of us who care for our club and it’s future.

You’ll have noticed the raft of comments accusing Ashley to back Rafa — does it occur to you that you might be in a minority who seem to believe that Ashley’s right and has done a good job so far?

• Nicky the ball tosser

Jun 9, 2018 at 10:04 AM

Lesh, total dire codswallop as usual from you. Back it up with evidence, or f@ck off.

• lesh

Jun 9, 2018 at 10:11 AM

Among other things, Rafa asked that the club adopt a sticker approach to attempting to buy players. What do we read? Yup, ‘and that bid was immediately turned down’. We’re still bidding low and will no doubt continue to fanny on until the target’s signed by another club. Ffs,if they’re serious about wanting a player, talk to the selling club and get things sorted.

Rafa wants a defined budget for transfers yet some weeks after the end of a better than expected season, he still hasn’t git it.

Rafa wants a commitment to upgrade the academy and young player development unit and the Beardsley situation provided an ideal opportunity for change. Where are we? Beardsley’s out of circulation but that’s all.

Rafa,wants an upgrade to the club’s training facilities and what have we heard from the club? Nothing!

Have we heard any positive statements of intent from the club? Have we hell…. Well apart from Ashley’s non-statement of intent and Charnley’s stage managed interview during which which tried to explain the manipulation of the 2016-17 accounts to paint a black picture of the club’s finances.

All in all, it’s situation normal under Ashley and the result of his greed and short-sightedness will be little investment in players, the break up of a dedicated squad, another fight against relegation all topped by Rafa leaving at the end of his contract.

Where’s Amanda or some other white knight who’ll buy the club and rid us of the blight that’s called Ashley? Helllllllllllllllllp, somebody save Newcastle United before it’s strangled to death.

• Nicky the ball tosser

Jun 9, 2018 at 10:20 AM

You’re a real nervous nelly aren’t you lesh? Just cross your legs and try to stop pissing your pants for the duration of the window and see what transpires.

Or perhaps take your cue from Rafa. He seems quite relaxed..